Player Agent: Stellar Football Ltd
Squad Number: #23
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Contract option: Club option 1 year
Date of last contract extension: Oct 18, 2018
Outfitter: Adidas​

Last edited:

El-Manos

I hope he can stay fit, we need him. I also don’t think we’ll sign another LB this window.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Look at how much slimmer he is now. The best thing about pandemic is stopping Shaw eating hamburgers. Missus must be a good cook.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Any chance we might move him into a left center back position? I thought he was really good when he played there last season. Maybe that's why we don't seem to be moving for any of the left footed center back options this window.

Leonzo1

Any chance we might move him into a left center back position? I thought he was really good when he played there last season. Maybe that's why we don't seem to be moving for any of the left footed center back options this window.
It will only work as part of a back 3. In a back 4 we will get slaughtered in the air, given that we are terrible when we play a back 3 my bet is on no.

Idxomer

A good suggestion if we had another decent left-back, it's something LVG would definitely have tried.

red4ever 79

Full Name: Luke Paul Hoare Shaw
Date of Birth: Jul 12, 1995 (24)
Nationality: England

Height: 181cm
Position: Defender - Left-Back
Player Agent: Stellar Football Ltd
Squad Number: #23
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Contract option: Club option 1 year
Date of last contract extension: Oct 18, 2018
Outfitter: Adidas​
Wtf is that full name. Jaysus - Paul Hoare Shaw

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It will only work as part of a back 3. In a back 4 we will get slaughtered in the air, given that we are terrible when we play a back 3 my bet is on no.
He's quite good in the air for a fullback. Not sure how that would fully transition to centreback though and whether he'd end up being better or worse than Lindelof in that regard.

I doubt it's something we'd look at doing but Shaw is much more likely to be able to make that transition than AWB who some people want. In theory at least Shaw doesn't really have any weakness that would be highlighted from moving more centrally. He's done well every time he's played in the three man defence although obviously that's quite a bit different than a normal two man.

Revaulx

He's quite good in the air for a fullback. Not sure how that would fully transition to centreback though and whether he'd end up being better or worse than Lindelof in that regard.

I doubt it's something we'd look at doing but Shaw is much more likely to be able to make that transition than AWB who some people want. In theory at least Shaw doesn't really have any weakness that would be highlighted from moving more centrally. He's done well every time he's played in the three man defence although obviously that's quite a bit different than a normal two man.
Shaw is very good at bringing the ball out from defence. He’s a lot less good when he gets to the final third.

As a centre back that weakness would become a non-issue.

flappyjay

Shaw is very good at bringing the ball out from defence. He’s a lot less good when he gets to the final third.

In theory he would be perfect, decent defender, comfortable on the ball and quick.

Himannv

Completely disagree with the bolded. I think he's actually very good in the final third, he just doesn't go there often enough.

Mickson

Completely disagree with the bolded. I think he's actually very good in the final third, he just doesn't go there often enough.
He's not good in the final third. In fact, he's awful which you can see in his stats season after season.

Himannv

He's not good in the final third. In fact, he's awful which you can see in his stats season after season.
When he operates in the final third, he can do some damage. He's incredibly hard to stop when he's running at full tilt into the box + he's actually quite powerful and not easy for defenders to keep tabs on. He can get on the end of a pass and drill it into the middle for a goal poacher to finish or play it off to someone else.

The stats don't list out goals and assists because 1. he doesn't go into the final third often enough as I said earlier, and 2. even when he does make those runs, passes do not always go to him as he's on the outside channel.

Mickson

When he operates in the final third, he can do some damage. He's incredibly hard to stop when he's running at full tilt into the box + he's actually quite powerful and not easy for defenders to keep tabs on. He can get on the end of a pass and drill it into the middle for a goal poacher to finish or play it off to someone else.

The stats don't list out goals and assists because 1. he doesn't go into the final third often enough as I said earlier, and 2. even when he does make those runs, passes do not always go to him as he's on the outside channel.
I don't know what you are arguing about. I like Shaw as a footballer, he's decent. But he is awful in the final third. It's a fact. It's not debatable. Look at his stats, season after season. Doesn't matter if he's not there often enough or not, he's not good in the final third. He can't shoot and he can't cross. End of.

Ollie Derbyshire

We desperately need Luke fit for the start of the season, the drop off down our left going forward when he was injured was worrying. Williams is a good back up but Luke is much better for me and seems to get the best out of Rashford as well.

Himannv

I don't know what you are arguing about. I like Shaw as a footballer, he's decent. But he is awful in the final third. It's a fact. It's not debatable. Look at his stats, season after season. Doesn't matter if he's not there often enough or not, he's not good in the final third. He can't shoot and he can't cross. End of.
We'll agree to disagree then.

Lee565

I would like to see maguire and shaw central defence partnership given a try, when you consider that alaba has been Bayern's best central defender this past season, I can't see what would stop shaw from being as good if not better especially on the defensive side of things.

when we played 3 at the back last season with shaw as the left side centre back he actually put in the best performance out of the 3 centre backs, his aerial ability is a little underrated as well and he is taller than what fans might think with him being around 6'0/6'1 which in the modern game is not an awful height for a centre and tbh he still better than lindelof in terms of challenging the opposition in the air.

sillwuka

Shaw is criminally underrated, i get that he doesn't always provide that final ball but he does shore up our left hand side when he's playing.

His first touch is so good and he's good at the simple pass, rarely makes unforced errors.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I would like to see maguire and shaw central defence partnership given a try, when you consider that alaba has been Bayern's best central defender this past season, I can't see what would stop shaw from being as good if not better especially on the defensive side of things.

when we played 3 at the back last season with shaw as the left side centre back he actually put in the best performance out of the 3 centre backs, his aerial ability is a little underrated as well and he is taller than what fans might think with him being around 6'0/6'1 which in the modern game is not an awful height for a centre and tbh he still better than lindelof in terms of challenging the opposition in the air.
I could actually see Shaw working well at CB. It would be great to go out and sign Reguilon so we can rotate Shaw at LB and also do some experiments of Shaw at CB. He’s got all the attributes for the role.

OrcaFat

There’s some very weird posts in this thread.

At a push he was acceptable in a back 3 but he’s not a centre back.

He’s a very good left back. He has room to improve, sure, but he has the full tool set to be one of the very best LBs in the world. He has shown glimpses of the player he could be. If he stays fit, the penny will drop for him. He’ll get forward more and will start getting goals as well. He’ll be a beast.

Unfortunately he’s quite unlikely to stay fit long enough to develop to his full potential. That would be a terrible shame, really hope I’m wrong.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
People wants him as CB because they think that he's a failed LB. It's the same with our other fullback, AWB.
Otherwise, why would people entertain this idea?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
There’s some very weird posts in this thread.

At a push he was acceptable in a back 3 but he’s not a centre back.

He’s a very good left back. He has room to improve, sure, but he has the full tool set to be one of the very best LBs in the world. He has shown glimpses of the player he could be. If he stays fit, the penny will drop for him. He’ll get forward more and will start getting goals as well. He’ll be a beast.

Unfortunately he’s quite unlikely to stay fit long enough to develop to his full potential. That would be a terrible shame, really hope I’m wrong.
Yeah weird :lol:

Nori-

Such an unreliable player. Probably spent half his United career injured.

Yes, he's has a good few months but BOOM another injury. I say sell him while you can still get most of his transfer feE back and invest in a new exciting left back.

If we go for this Sergio Regulian guy for the quoted £25-30m, we might even make a profit?

TrustInJanuzaj

People wants him as CB because they think that he's a failed LB. It's the same with our other fullback, AWB.
Otherwise, why would people entertain this idea?
Not at all. Shaw is an excellent, underrated fullback but that doesn’t mean we can’t look at his attributes and experiment with him elsewhere. Shaw has many qualities which could transfer into a top CB. If everyone was as narrow minded as you we would never have seen some great players transition from one role to another. Players such as Alaba, Lahm etc.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not at all. Shaw is an excellent, underrated fullback but that doesn’t mean we can’t look at his attributes and experiment with him elsewhere. Shaw has many qualities which could transfer into a top CB. If everyone was as narrow minded as you we would never have seen some great players transition from one role to another. Players such as Alaba, Lahm etc.
Unfortunately, Shaw is neither an "excellent, underrated fullback" nor "great player". But yeh. Everyone has different standard though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Unfortunately, Shaw is neither an "excellent, underrated fullback" nor "great player". But yeh. Everyone has different standard though.
Since he got injured we barely won a game. I think that just shows how important he is to us. We use him to build most of our play from defence and he plays some lovely forward passes, but most importantly he carries the ball really well.

Yes he needs to improve his final ball higher up the pitch but he's pretty solid everywhere else.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Since he got injured we barely won a game. I think that just shows how important he is to us. We use him to build most of our play from defence and he plays some lovely forward passes, but most importantly he carries the ball really well.

Yes he needs to improve his final ball higher up the pitch but he's pretty solid everywhere else.
He's pretty solid LB. Far away from excellent and great, though. But it's all opinion. Why would you put your LB as CB? Unless you don't rate him that high, and want another LB replacing him.

Last edited:
Such an unreliable player. Probably spent half his United career injured.

Yes, he's has a good few months but BOOM another injury. I say sell him while you can still get most of his transfer feE back and invest in a new exciting left back.

If we go for this Sergio Regulian guy for the quoted £25-30m, we might even make a profit?
Have you ever seen this other guy play?

Shaw is a good solid player, who perhaps we should look to upgrade at some point. However with him and Williams, we have good options. Ultimately we have other priorities that we need to sort first. We would be title challengers if our biggest issue was improving on Shaw.

TrustInJanuzaj

He's pretty solid LB. Far away from excellent and great, though. But it's all opinion. Why would you put your LB as CB? Unless you don't rate him that high, and want another LB replacing him.
Answer your own question. David Alaba was the best left back in the world, why did Bayern move him to CB where he has subsequently become one of the best CB’s in the world.

romufc

Answer your own question. David Alaba was the best left back in the world, why did Bayern move him to CB where he has subsequently become one of the best CB’s in the world.
He's become one of the world's best CB? One season of playing in that role and you become the best?

Dorris

Under pep he’d 100% be a centre half. I can see us getting a rotation attacking option at left back if we can’t secure a left footed centre half, and experimenting with Shaw there.

Kostov

He will never be a Robertson type of fullback, but judging him by his final third contribution doesn't paint the whole picture. Take Evra for example, his has 40 assists and 10 goals in 379 games for United and he contributed a lot from LB. Now Shaw isn't Evra and he doesn't have the ball carrying ability but not sure how much is down to instructions also, since he can do a lot of damage when he is willing to take on defenders and run at them.

Mickson

He will never be a Robertson type of fullback, but judging him by his final third contribution doesn't paint the whole picture. Take Evra for example, his has 40 assists and 10 goals in 379 games for United and he contributed a lot from LB. Now Shaw isn't Evra and he doesn't have the ball carrying ability but not sure how much is down to instructions also, since he can do a lot of damage when he is willing to take on defenders and run at them.
Is it really that hard? He hasn't produced for Southampton or England either. You are making this more complicated imo. He just isn't good at shooting or crossing, simple as that? As I said, he's a decent player but he doesn't have points in him due to a lack of final ball. Evra's final ball wasn't great either as you said, but he had more energy and feist. Always up and down (mostly up!) Shaw doesen't really have that either. He's more laid back.

Status
Not open for further replies.