Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Yep, how far do you want that reach? You happy with a LB for Utd with 7 assists in 156 performances?
It's simple, without that run we don't score our first goal. He was the only one willing to pick up the ball deep and get it forward. When he's on form he constantly helps us progress forward through keeping the ball and passing it accurately. He doesn't have a fantastic final ball but he's absolutely key to how we play.

Litch

It's simple, without that run we don't score our first goal. He was the only one willing to pick up the ball deep and get it forward. When he's on form he constantly helps us progress forward through keeping the ball and passing it accurately. He doesn't have a fantastic final ball but he's absolutely key to how we play.
Yep, if the kick, head, throw and tackle. It's a reach as there are always (ifs). The only relevance is the cross, touch inside and Harry's pressure creates the goal. Running forward, getting the ball and passing accurately are the fundamentals of football and for 200k a week, and the time he's been here, I want more than that. Thankfully it appears Ole wants more too hence it looks like we will sign another LB.

Raven

Yep, if the kick, head, throw and tackle. It's a reach as there are always (ifs). The only relevance is the cross, touch inside and Harry's pressure creates the goal. Running forward, getting the ball and passing accurately are the fundamentals of football and for 200k a week, and the time he's been here, I want more than that. Thankfully it appears Ole wants more too hence it looks like we will sign another LB.
I think we're looking for a replacement for Williams rather than Shaw. Williams has shown he's not ready and should potentially be played from the right if at all.

The underrating of Shaw on here is criminal.

Himannv

My biggest issue with Shaw is offensively. He offers zero output in a position that's so important in modern day football.
I'm convinced you've only watched the highlights and not the full match or something. He doesn't score or assist but he's definitely involved in attacks down the left flank, which is probably one of the main sources of chances for us. If you don't see that, I don't know which game you're watching.

Litch

I think we're looking for a replacement for Williams rather than Shaw. Williams has shown he's not ready and should potentially be played from the right if at all.

The underrating of Shaw on here is criminal.
I guess it's all about opinions and for me I just want more than Shaw offers going forward. It's such an important part of the modern game at the highest level. Sorry 7 in 150 odd games is simply just not good enough.

Litch

I'm convinced you've only watched the highlights and not the full match or something. He doesn't score or assist but he's definitely involved in attacks down the left flank, which is probably one of the main sources of chances for us. If you don't see that, I don't know which game you're watching.
Or maybe I've watched the game and have a different opinion than you? I'm not deny he makes runs but so does the majority of LB's in the league? Despite the criticism of AWB and new to the position, he made 3 assists last season yet Shaw been here for 6 years and only amounted to 7 assists? You know It's reported that Shaw is on 250k per week.....

Himannv

Or maybe I've watched the game and have a different opinion than you? I'm not deny he makes runs but so does the majority of LB's in the league? Despite the criticism of AWB and new to the position, he made 3 assists last season yet Shaw been here for 6 years and only amounted to 7 assists? You know It's reported that Shaw is on 250k per week.....
I feel there are too many mentions of stats from his detractors. Apart from crossing the ball, I don't know what more he can do really. His passing was probably the best in the team against Villa. Even in the last game against Brighton, I don't think you can really fault a lot of his attacking play, because he's constantly making runs, linking up with the attackers, and looking to overlap and get involved. Part of the problem for me is the wide player (usually Rashford) is actually a forward and not a winger, hence the ball out wide is on only when he finds no way to attack centrally. I see our left flank as our most productive source of attack though and it's actually the right flank where we need to do better.

Litch

I feel there are too many mentions of stats from his detractors. Apart from crossing the ball, I don't know what more he can do really. His passing was probably the best in the team against Villa. Even in the last game against Brighton, I don't think you can really fault a lot of his attacking play, because he's constantly making runs, linking up with the attackers, and looking to overlap and get involved. Part of the problem for me is the wide player (usually Rashford) is actually a forward and not a winger, hence the ball out wide is on only when he finds no way to attack centrally. I see our left flank as our most productive source of attack though and it's actually the right flank where we need to do better.
If you compare Shaw pre injury compare to post injury, the two are not comparable. If we had a pre-injury Shaw, we would have a world class player.

Raven

I agree that the injury had an impact on his development. I think the player is still there and still working on his game though.
Shaw's still relatively young as well. Not even hit his prime years yet.

romufc

No, but this is not what fans want? They don't care if Shaw was good and had moments in the attack. If the stats do not show assist or goal, he isnt good enough.

Have you not realised that RB and LB should have 10 goals + assist a season?

Complete ignorance from some fans is incredible, they are so focused on stats, somehow ignore what happens in the game.

Shaw made a run that led us to the goal, he doesn't get a direct assist but was crucial for the goal. He made a few runs like those against Brighton, with the team improving, I see him improving too.

Litch

I agree that the injury had an impact on his development. I think the player is still there and still working on his game though.
Hopefully and you are right. Stats don't always tell the full story but the assists is def one for full backs in modern football. Time will tell I guess....

Raven

No, but this is not what fans want? They don't care if Shaw was good and had moments in the attack. If the stats do not show assist or goal, he isnt good enough.

Have you not realised that RB and LB should have 10 goals + assist a season?

Complete ignorance from some fans is incredible, they are so focused on stats, somehow ignore what happens in the game.

Shaw made a run that led us to the goal, he doesn't get a direct assist but was crucial for the goal. He made a few runs like those against Brighton, with the team improving, I see him improving too.
He's a quality player who has the touch and awareness of a midfielder, which isn't common amongst full backs. Because of his touch and calmness on the ball, he's absolutely vital to us passing out from the back, which is particularly evident when Williams is filling in.

Because he's not Andy Robertson and plays nothing like him, people are convinced he's shit. There's more than 1 way to play as a full back but I don't think people appreciate that.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I've seen matches where he's objectively played well and then this forum has posters questioning how he's even a professional footballer afterwards.

It's funny.

romufc

He's a quality player who has the touch and awareness of a midfielder, which isn't common amongst full backs. Because of his touch and calmness on the ball, he's absolutely vital to us passing out from the back, which is particularly evident when Williams is filling in.

Because he's not Andy Robertson and plays nothing like him, people are convinced he's shit. There's more than 1 way to play as a full back but I don't think people appreciate that.
It is the common theme of this new age fan group, base everything of stats and social media. Football is not about one style fits all.

They have 2 creative full backs with workhorses in midfield.

Watch the game, watch the player and you will realise he is not as bad as people make him out to be.

Raven

It is the common theme of this new age fan group, base everything of stats and social media. Football is not about one style fits all.

Watch the game, watch the player and you will realise he is not as bad as people make him out to be.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I'm actually far more concerned with AWB at the moment because he doesn't provide anything in an attacking sense currently.

romufc

I agree with pretty much all of this. I'm actually far more concerned with AWB at the moment because he doesn't provide anything in an attacking sense currently.
Agreed, You see Shaw when he takes the first touch, he can pass it or bring it back and control it.
AWB often gets caught with the ball under his feet with his touch which means he can be pressed alot more.

I would like to see Ole make a tactical alteration where he says to AWB, dont go too far forward and stay back. Help out defensively into a 3 which stops us getting counter attacked and say to Luke Shaw, you push up high.

DoomSlayer

If he improves his end product, whilst also staying fit, Shaw can be world class. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening and we just spent £50 million on a more defensive-oriented RB, so an attacking LB is a must-buy to improve the balance of the starting 11.
Agreed, You see Shaw when he takes the first touch, he can pass it or bring it back and control it.
AWB often gets caught with the ball under his feet with his touch which means he can be pressed alot more.

I would like to see Ole make a tactical alteration where he says to AWB, dont go too far forward and stay back. Help out defensively into a 3 which stops us getting counter attacked and say to Luke Shaw, you push up high.
Shaw can't stay constantly up the pitch, because we have no physically capable player that can cover him on that side of our team. It almost always ends up being Pogba, Matic or Maguire, from slow to slowest.

I honestly think we should have Maguire next to AWB so the latter can cover Harry with his pace. Or just play Bailly and pray he stays fit.

Last edited:

starman

I would like to see him at LCB if we sign Telles. Shaw and Lindelof are about the same level defensively, Shaw is a bit more physical, is faster and will allow Maguire to play as a RCB.
Another CB is more of a priority over a LB so I wonder if this is Ole thinking given that all transfer speculation is pointing to a more attacking LB as a transfer priority...

RkkMan

Mendy, Zinchenko, Chilwell, Tierney, Robertson, Reguilon, Van Aanholt, Digne these are some of the PL LBs 100% better than Shaw that would start at Utd and he`s on 190K a week :lol:
Shaw is nowhere near the standard of a Utd fullback the sooner we get Telles the better then people like you can see what a REAL quality LB is like

Raven

Mendy, Zinchenko, Chilwell, Tierney, Robertson, Reguilon, Van Aanholt, Digne these are some of the PL LBs 100% better than Shaw that would start at Utd and he`s on 190K a week :lol:
Shaw is nowhere near the standard of a Utd fullback the sooner we get Telles the better then people like you can see what a REAL quality LB is like
And I assume you watch these guys play regularly, and I'm sure you've seen Telles play enough to know he's a "REAL quality" LB. My guess is that you don't and you haven't and you're just listing players who play in the same position.

I don't know where you fools come up with this shite.

Lee565

Yep, how far do you want that reach? You happy with a LB for Utd with 7 assists in 156 performances?
Tbf he has had to play under van gaal and mourinho, even under solskjaer I feel like he prefers to play it more cautiously with allowing the fullbacks to committing all the way when we attack.

romufc

Can I ask you a few questions?

What makes Mendy and Zinchenko better?

How many times have you watched Tierney and Regulion at LB?

Van Aanholt? seriously this guy cannot defend.

Are you hear just to bash out players without any justification?

How much have you seen Telles play?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Mendy, Zinchenko and Van Aanholt? Do you even watch football?

buckooo1978

If he improves his end product, whilst also staying fit, Shaw can be world class. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening and we just spent £50 million on a more defensive-oriented RB, so an attacking LB is a must-buy to improve the balance of the starting 11.

Shaw can't stay constantly up the pitch, because we have no physically capable player that can cover him on that side of our team. It almost always ends up being Pogba, Matic or Maguire, from slow to slowest.

I honestly think we should have Maguire next to AWB so the latter can cover Harry with his pace. Or just play Bailly and pray he stays fit.
world class? seriously

he's not even very good defensively

people point to his injury but that was 5 years or so ago. He's had ample time to develop and is obviously nowhere near good enough to be considered near world class.

Shaw would need to develop defensively (he's played 2 games this year and been really questionable in both) let alone develop his attacking play.

Raven

world class? seriously

he's not even very good defensively

people point to his injury but that was 5 years or so ago. He's had ample time to develop and is obviously nowhere near good enough to be considered near world class.

Shaw would need to develop defensively (he's played 2 games this year and been really questionable in both) let alone develop his attacking play.
Terrible post. Shaw is rock solid defensively. Because he's had 2 to pay games when his fitness is near 0 doesn't change that.

buckooo1978

Terrible post. Shaw is rock solid defensively. Because he's had 2 to pay games when his fitness is near 0 doesn't change that.
Rock solid :lol:

he's a decent defender but was part of a defence all over the place at the weekend as we struggled badly in wide positions

is tiredness to blame for his part in the first Palace goal - it was early in the game and let's not kid ourselves- he didnt smell the danger or pick up his man. The fact that Lindelof was awful doesn't lessen Shaw's shortcomings

in terms of his overall defensive contributions he is a decent/good player but far from rock solid. I think i'd reserve terms like rock solid for players like Denis Irwin who were positionally very good, anticipated danger and were dependable.

on the fitness thing there's always a bloody excuse for this team. Shaw cant get fit. Maguire needs a fast partner. Pogba needs a good DM etc... Shaw's performances are ok/good but would this rock solid player get into the Liverpool side? not a chance. Spurs, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal all have more effective full backs in that position

he averaged 1 tackle and 1 interception per game last year and similar stats before and since so where you are getting this rock solid nonsense from I've no idea especially given his lack of discipline at times.

its no surprise that its LB we arw targeting for improvement. AWB is clearly superior and he's not without his major flaws. Still better than Shaw.

RkkMan

Mendy, Zinchenko and Van Aanholt? Do you even watch football?
Van Aanholt has a 427 G/A contribution per min ratio compared to Shaw`s 1000 and on the eye test better crosser of the ball Shaw better defesnively but not by a landslide
Mendy is debatable defensively but he`s miles better in attacking as is Zinchenko
Shaw is becoming too overrated on this platform because y`all have been too used to mediocrity the sooner Telles comes an your eyes are opened on how average he is the better
And I assume you watch these guys play regularly, and I'm sure you've seen Telles play enough to know he's a "REAL quality" LB. My guess is that you don't and you haven't and you're just listing players who play in the same position.

I don't know where you fools come up with this shite.
Yes I`ve watched a fair bit of all these LBs and they`re all better than Shaw. As I said y`all have become too used to mediocrity when we sign Telles you`ll realize how much you`ve been overrating Shaw
Can I ask you a few questions?

What makes Mendy and Zinchenko better?

How many times have you watched Tierney and Regulion at LB?

Van Aanholt? seriously this guy cannot defend.

Are you hear just to bash out players without any justification?

How much have you seen Telles play?
Mendy and Zinchenko are miles better going forward Shaw is more solid defensively but not as solid as say AWB he wouldn`t start for City who actually value attacking LBs
I`ve watched a fare share of Tierney and Reguilon and both shit over Luke Shaw
Van Aanholt has a 427 min G/A per min ratio Shaw`s is 1000 and on the eye test better crosser
I`m not bashing without justification teams like Wolves and Everton have better attacking fullbacks than us thats the benchmark nowadays if you want a progressive team being solid defensively will only benefit you in a few PL games but at a higher level in Europe fullbacks like Robertson/Davies/Telles are the benchmark

romufc

Mendy and Zinchenko are miles better going forward Shaw is more solid defensively but not as solid as say AWB he wouldn`t start for City who actually value attacking LBs
Van Aanholt has a 427 min G/A per min ratio Shaw`s is 1000 and on the eye test better crosser
I`m not bashing without justification teams like Wolves and Everton have better attacking fullbacks than us thats the benchmark nowadays if you want a progressive team being solid defensively will only benefit you in a few PL games but at a higher level in Europe fullbacks like Robertson/Davies/Telles are the benchmark
Have you got stats to back that up?

So you saying you have watched Celtic and Sevilla games? How many Sevilla 90 mins did you watch or Celtic the year before?

So a LB is based on G/A ? do you know the role of a full back? the first thing is defend.

Wolves play with a wing back formation, so yes they will have attacking wing backs.

Telles is a benchmark? Most of his goals and assists come from set plays.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Van Aanholt has a 427 G/A contribution per min ratio compared to Shaw`s 1000 and on the eye test better crosser of the ball Shaw better defesnively but not by a landslide
Mendy is debatable defensively but he`s miles better in attacking as is Zinchenko
Shaw is becoming too overrated on this platform because y`all have been too used to mediocrity the sooner Telles comes an your eyes are opened on how average he is the better

Yes I`ve watched a fair bit of all these LBs and they`re all better than Shaw. As I said y`all have become too used to mediocrity when we sign Telles you`ll realize how much you`ve been overrating Shaw

Van Aanholt is a trash defender. Mendy and Zinchenko are only a smidge better. And Mendy used to be a world class attacking left back but he hardly creates anything any more. Zinchenko is just thoroughly average. Looks like an ok midfielder playing left back for some reason.

Raven

The fact that you think AWB is more defensively solid than Shaw really says it all. AWB has one strength, his tackling, beyond that, his heading, his positioning and his reading of the game are all diabolical. Shaw's one weakness in defense is blocking crosses, which has become an even bigger issue now that AWB is a liability at the back post and he's clearly being targeted in that way.

I don't think you a) have watched these players enough and b) are able to judge fullbacks properly.

Bwuk

We should of bought Tierney from Celtic.

I would say Shaw is at a similar level to Lindelof. Ok if they were squad players but won’t win a league with them.

el3mel

Played his last ever meaningful match for us. Telles will bench him for good.

Based Adnan

Telles can't come sooner. I have no idea why he loves to tuck in next to the CB's so fecking much but it gives the opposition free reign down our left flank. He is awful.

PoTMS

Why the feck was be playing left centre back today? One of his worst performances ever for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.