6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Was there a reason he was so far inside for that Son goal? I can't find a replay that goes back far enough to show why he was in that position, and I don't want to blame him too much for it until I figure out if there was a reason. Anybody got a replay that goes back a decent amount?
I was shouting at the TV where the feck he was for that goal, and why Maguire went charging so far over. It must be coaching as both fullbacks do it constantly.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
So often in the middle when he should have been out wide defending a spurs attack Down his wing... hope the new left back is fit and ready.
AWB has started doing this as well. The back four is so narrow when we're pushed back, which seems evident that it's a coaching issue, as this has been happening for several games now, going back as far as the back end of last season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Remember how last week Wan Bissaka was doing the same thing? I 100% believe at this is do with coaching.
I was shouting at the TV where the feck he was for that goal, and why Maguire went charging so far over. It must be coaching as both fullbacks do it constantly.
Shaw does come in but doesn't normally do it as much as AWB, and especially not as much as he was in that particular goal. He was significantly further infield than Maguire ffs. I can't understand it.

Ok, I just got a replay and watched the entire thing. Shaw was already fairly narrow, but the reason he ended up as badly out of position as he was is because Kane came deep and Maguire followed him. Shaw then had absolutely no choice but to keep following Lamela as the play continued. There was never a chance for him to hand him back to Maguire so Shaw could go wide. As that transfer never got a chance to happen, it was actually Maguire who should have gone out wide to cover Aurier . Or really, Greenwood should have been back covering him but was just walking back from an attempted high press, so with the way the play happened it should have been Maguire.

So I guess I owe Shaw an apology for that particular bit of play. Watching it live and the few replays they showed I was cursing him and wondering what the hell he was doing, but now that I've had a chance to watch it properly there's not much else he could have done without leaving Lamela with miles of space right down the middle of the park. The one thing he did do wrong is on the last pass where he made the wrong decision to push out to Kane on the edge of the box and left Son and Lamela that big hole in the middle that they ended up scoring from. So it was still a bad mistake, but it was actually Maguire who had destroyed our defensive shape and caused Shaw to be the one playing centrally while Maguire was in no-mans land.

Obiorahking_

Shaw does come in but doesn't normally do it as much as AWB, and especially not as much as he was in that particular goal. He was significantly further infield than Maguire ffs. I can't understand it.

Ok, I just got a replay and watched the entire thing. Shaw was already fairly narrow, but the reason he ended up as badly out of position as he was is because Kane came deep and Maguire followed him. Shaw then had absolutely no choice but to keep following Lamela as the play continued. There was never a chance for him to hand him back to Maguire so Shaw could go wide. As that transfer never got a chance to happen, it was actually Maguire who should have gone out wide to cover Aurier . Or really, Greenwood should have been back covering him but was just walking back from an attempted high press, so with the way the play happened it should have been Maguire.

So I guess I owe Shaw an apology for that particular bit of play. Watching it live and the few replays they showed I was cursing him and wondering what the hell he was doing, but now that I've had a chance to watch it properly there's not much else he could have done without leaving Lamela with miles of space right down the middle of the park. The one thing he did do wrong is on the last pass where he made the wrong decision to push out to Kane on the edge of the box and left Son and Lamela that big hole in the middle that they ended up scoring from. So it was still a bad mistake, but it was actually Maguire who had destroyed our defensive shape and caused Shaw to be the one playing centrally while Maguire was in no-mans land.
Also looked at it myself. Yeah I agree Maguire/Greenwood should have tracked it quicker. Shaw does make a poor mistake rushing out to Kane( Though Pogba wasn't exactly closing him down either). But ultimately Matic should have been closing him down quicker as he was the one who picked up Son. I feel like this game Mourinho picked on our defensive shape in particular. The next goal Moura is tucked all the way in the center, so Shaw picks him up and then Pogba doesn't close down the pass to Aurier quick enough--at least, thats what looked like what happened. Our shape is so weird its hard to pin point exactly whose at fault.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If you carefully see the replay for the 4th goal, thats also Maguire's fault.
As Maguire goes over to the corner tory to tackle Aurier's cross, Shaw initially goes to fill his gap in the box, but Maguire then motions to Shaw to fill the space on the D.

Obiorahking_

If you carefully see the replay for the 4th goal, thats also Maguire's fault.
As Maguire goes over to the corner tory to tackle Aurier's cross, Shaw initially goes to fill his gap in the box, but Maguire then motions to Shaw to fill the space on the D.
I saw that bit dunno if that was to Shaw or just for someone to get a body on him? Either way ideally a defender should make the best possible decision in a given scenario but man Maguire dosen't look good in any of this

Hawks2008

What is he good at? What are his above average attributes?
He isn’t a great one on one defender like awb. He isnt good positionally. He isn’t fast - slow as feck on the first five yards, and today he demonstrated that his top speed is a myth or that he couldn’t be bothred. He isn’t a good crosser, and he is not a good header of the ball. What is he good at? Terribly average. Southampton level!
I've been saying this for a long time, Luke Shaw is straight up vanilla. Not quick, and with his frame he isn't strong as he should be. Doesnt offer much in attack while being a mediocre defender at the same time. Has some tidy short passing skills but that's it. He is a 5 out of 10 footballer with no standout qualities.

It's hilarious to me people think Telles is going to be the back up.

GoldanoGraham

He deserves to be dropped for Telles in the next match, his performance was poor, out of position time and time again, although not always his fault......however that ridiculous foul to take out the player should have resulted in a straight red and then we would have been down to 9. No end product, no crosses, nothing......all in the match just as we sign someone in his position!

hmchan

Also looked at it myself. Yeah I agree Maguire/Greenwood should have tracked it quicker. Shaw does make a poor mistake rushing out to Kane( Though Pogba wasn't exactly closing him down either). But ultimately Matic should have been closing him down quicker as he was the one who picked up Son. I feel like this game Mourinho picked on our defensive shape in particular. The next goal Moura is tucked all the way in the center, so Shaw picks him up and then Pogba doesn't close down the pass to Aurier quick enough--at least, thats what looked like what happened. Our shape is so weird its hard to pin point exactly whose at fault.
It's Ole's tactical setup to have our wide forwards stay up and wait for counterattacks, so you can't expect Greenwood to come back. IIRC when Mourinho asked his wingers to defend, he was called negative, old-fashioned and criticized heavily.

RedStarUnited

Shaw doesnt normally tuck in? He is ALWAYS tucking in. And one of the worst at stopping crosses. As for the goal you realise this is a team sport right? If Kane drops deep then its Maguires fault for following him and not passing him on to a midfielder. Its not Shaws job to cover center backs and leave his wing undefended.

In general its a communication issue. Maguire should be a leader back there and not allow things like this to happen.

RkkMan

Like I said I`m GLAD we`re signing Telles people will finally realize they`ve been over hyping a bang average player in Luke Shaw

Sylar

The second pic is fine. If pogba tracks his man, its not an issue.

But overall, im wondering if Shaw is now allergic to stopping people from crossing the ball. It seems a cross always comes in from the oppositions right (and it either goes deep post where our RB should be but isnt or near post where nobody tracks the run). Its like everybody but our own team have figured this out.

saivet

He's man marking the wide players (Lamela and then Moura) who drifted centrally. Greenwood is no where near Aurier and Pogba failed to track Aurier in the second picture. That's not to say it was good defending by Shaw, particularly the first picture where he was dragged out of position by Kane when Aurier put in the cross.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Shaw doesnt normally tuck in? He is ALWAYS tucking in. And one of the worst at stopping crosses. As for the goal you realise this is a team sport right? If Kane drops deep then its Maguires fault for following him and not passing him on to a midfielder. Its not Shaws job to cover center backs and leave his wing undefended.

In general its a communication issue. Maguire should be a leader back there and not allow things like this to happen.
I never said he doesn't normally tuck in. I said he doesn't normally tuck in as much as AWB. Big difference.

In that position Shaw absolutely has to cover the man who is far more dangerous. If he leaves Lamela it instantly creates an easy 1 on 1 between Lamela and the goalkeeper with no other defender close to being able to stop him. Whereas if he leaves Aurier it leaves a guy out wide who still has to then get a cross or pass into the middle for somebody else to try to score from. The fact that it is a team sport means he does have to cover a huge hole that a teammate leaves even if it leaves a less dangerous option in his normal spot.

spiriticon

He's man marking the wide players (Lamela and then Moura) who drifted centrally. Greenwood is no where near Aurier and Pogba failed to track Aurier in the second picture. That's not to say it was good defending by Shaw, particularly the first picture where he was dragged out of position by Kane when Aurier put in the cross.
If they drift centrally why the feck is Shaw following them and leaving Aurier practically the whole left flank to himself? What if Lamela and Moura swap flanks? Is he going to follow them all the way to the right?

A little bit of brainpower sometimes would be great.

Mickson

The last time he scored or assisted in the Premier League was April 28, 2019. 1 goal and 6 assists in his six seasons here. Magical full-back.

hmchan

If they drift centrally why the feck is Shaw following them and leaving Aurier practically the whole left flank to himself? What if Lamela and Moura swap flanks? Is he going to follow them all the way to the right?

A little bit of brainpower sometimes would be great.
Because at 36:20 Maguire left his position trying to press Kane upfield and left the space open. To me the whole back 4 lacks brainpower.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just saw this but what in the feck is he doing on this goal?? Blatantly leaves his man wide open in the 6 yard box. Brainless defending.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
And yall say de gea dont communicate...

They dont feckin listen more like.

bosnian_red

And people say having a fullback who knows how to attack will leave us vulnerable defensively while we have a left back who does stuff like that :lol: ^

pascell

When he's not playing people say they can tell the difference and then go on to severely overrate him and the effect he has on the team. In truth, he's a substandard defender, has barely any positional skills or awareness and offers nothing in attack, something which will be seen clearly when Telles plays and gets forward.

He'll be on the pile of deadwood along with Bailly, Lindelof and Fred soon enough.

SAFMUTD

Just saw this but what in the feck is he doing on this goal?? Blatantly leaves his man wide open in the 6 yard box. Brainless defending.
Feck its like all our defenders are competing withim themselves on who's going to shit the bed harder. How can we have so many brainless mistakes in just 3 games, its amazing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When he's not playing people say they can tell the difference and then go on to severely overrate him and the effect he has on the team. In truth, he's a substandard defender, has barely any positional skills or awareness and offers nothing in attack, something which will be seen clearly when Telles plays and gets forward.

He'll be on the pile of deadwood along with Bailly, Lindelof and Fred soon enough.
And a few even suggested to move him as LCB. feck me. Just imagine Luke Shaw as CB with that kind of awareness.

I dont know how you guys still have patience with Shaw, mine went after we lost to away to arsenal last season. Sooner hes better out if the starting 11 the better.

Rolaholic

I do feel for Dave at time even with the errors. He often notices danger developing but gets hard done by our clueless defenders who ignore him in the moment

No surprise he's fuming right after all the time, I'd have to go full Lloris on the way to the dressing room if I were him

bosnian_red

And a few even suggested to move him as LCB. feck me. Just imagine Luke Shaw as CB with that kind of awareness.
Left of a back 3 probably hides his weaknesses best, with Telles wide left. Helps Maguire to have some pace either side too. Its easily his most suited position, whether he's still good enough is another question.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I dont know how you guys still have patience with Shaw, mine went after we lost to away to arsenal last season. Sooner hes better out if the starting 11 the better.
I'm just stuck in an endless cycle of trying to convince myself certain players aren't decidedly average, because the actual reality is too painful to face.

pascell

Don't get my started on that, he shouldn't be anywhere near CB, think someone even suggested him at DM and Fred at LB, imagine if we actually played them there :nervous:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Left of a back 3 probably hides his weaknesses best, with Telles wide left. Helps Maguire to have some pace either side too. Its easily his most suited position, whether he's still good enough is another question.
I still don't think he's good enough there for long-term. His heading, marking, and positioning are sub-par for a CB. It's the same reason I don't think AWB would work as RCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.