Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

You don't even need to press play on this clip.

Just look at the very first frame and ask yourself: "What the feck is Luke Shaw doing there??"

Christ I'm fuming again.

Alexit

Shaw, like AWB, is predictable and poor going forward.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Did he saw a burger there and ran towards it? Christ i am a big fan of him but that’s just absolutely diabolical
No, our fearless leader Harry Maguire points to Kane and has Shaw vacate the position De Gea is screaming for him to stay.

Don't get me wrong Shaw's positioning is terrible and he shouldn't need to be coached through games at his age. However, it doesn't help that the man next to him is a player who's awareness is pretty much as bad.

TsuWave

Did he saw a burger there and ran towards it? Christ i am a big fan of him but that’s just absolutely diabolical
Our captain told him to take that position:

ti vu

When he's not playing people say they can tell the difference and then go on to severely overrate him and the effect he has on the team. In truth, he's a substandard defender, has barely any positional skills or awareness and offers nothing in attack, something which will be seen clearly when Telles plays and gets forward.

He'll be on the pile of deadwood along with Bailly, Lindelof and Fred soon enough.
Because his competition is even worse. However, the standard at the club has been very low for year.

Shaw tactical understanding, awareness is terrible. People jumped at Mourinho for his comment about having to do the thinking for Shaw back then, but it's true when you really analyze.

I wouldn't place my hope on Telles yet. He may has all the experience and understanding of the game, but physicality aspect, he may need time to adapt, and there is a chance he may never be able to.

Last edited:

LJJT

Made some terrible decisions on Sunday the 4th goal is bewildering for a pro player to do what he did. Ironic he wanted signings I hope Telles becomes first choice. I actually think Maguire suffers due to how poor shaws positioning can be.

Last edited:

spiriticon

You have to ask yourself why the CB has to go all the to the edge of the penalty box to mark Aurier in the first place when it should have been the LB's job.

Even then this position is not the end of the world.

If LB decides he wants to be the CB, fine, then stay as the CB till the end of the phase. Don't just suddenly decide you want to be LB again and fly off back to the wing while the CB is out there doing your job.

Last edited:

saivet

Silly from Maguire there but Shaw has to make his own decision and be aware of the danger. Awful defending from him, even before the cross went in I was completely baffled by him running across to Kane in that scenario.

Bwuk

Telles will be the end of Shaw.

What a complete disappointment Shaw has been for United.

Brophs

The One and Only
Bit of overreaction I feel. He’s not a terrible player. He’s had some really good games in the last year. But he doesn’t do the things you need a modern full back to do, or even look capable of developing those skills. He’s not justified either his early hype or his price tag. He’s survived this long by (arguably) not being among United’s most pressing 2 or 3 issues over the last few years. Hopefully Telles proves to be the answer, because Shaw certainly isn’t. I reckon he’ll be back at Southampton within a couple of years if they kick on a bit.

Bit of overreaction I feel. He’s not a terrible player. He’s had some really good games in the last year. But he doesn’t do the things you need a modern full back to do, or even look capable of developing those skills. He’s not justified either his early hype or his price tag. He’s survived this long by (arguably) not being among United’s most pressing 2 or 3 issues over the last few years. Hopefully Telles proves to be the answer, because Shaw certainly isn’t. I reckon he’ll be back at Southampton within a couple of years if they kick on a bit.
This is a good reasoned analysis.

The injury has almost certainly made him more of a limited player than he would have been without it. However, there are lots of players who don’t live up to their potential for whatever reason.

He hasn’t been terrible, but what resonates is the fact that he doesn’t do the things than other more modern fullbacks do. I agree.

Whether Telles is the real deal, let’s see. However, with our issues at CB, a marauding attacking full back, might cause us more problems than solutions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Never recovered from his injury. Before that he was really good.
That’s a bit of a myth. He was pretty poor for ages when he first joined then had a brief run of very good form before his injury.

I actually think some of his form last season was as good as any we’ve seen from him so far. I also think his injury was a big factor in our slump in the last few games. Just a pity he’s started this season playing so badly. Maybe competition for his place is what’s needed? You could arguably attribute his good form last season to the emergence of Brandon Williams.

lsd

The Oracle
You have to ask yourself why the CB has to go all the to the edge of the penalty box to mark Aurier in the first place when it should have been the LB's job.

If LB decides he wants to be the CB, fine, then stay as the CB till the end of the phase. Don't just suddenly decide you want to be LB again and fly off back to the wing while the CB is out there doing your job.

One answer is that CB is never in the correct position at any point during the game

Foxbatt

It was a bad day at office because our midfield was extremely poor and out forwards could not hold the ball and we had no shape from the start.

spiriticon

One answer is that CB is never in the correct position at any point during the game
Neither was the LB.

In fact I would say on Saturday we were playing with 1 RB, 1 mad RCB and 2 LCBs who were intent on getting in each other's way.

Hence 6-1

lsd

The Oracle
When you watch that video Shaw went to cover where Maguire clearly pointed for him to go so the biggest error Shaw made was listening to Maguire and not De Gea .

The communication at the back is shocking

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I remember that Shaw was dragged out by Lamela who came inside, Maguire had no choice but to go all the to the edge of the penalty box to stop Aurier.

This is so basic error ball watching from lot of players. Shaw decided to follow Maguire’s instead of DDG instruction to go to Kane was the right thing to do, the issue was Matic didn’t rush back and sense the danger to stop Son which he should be because he saw where Son is but he was so slow to react. I also don’t know what’s Bailly doing there, Lamela is in front of him which basic error defending against crossing, if the cross went to Lamela instead of Son, the goal would still be an easy tap in.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Telles will be the end of Shaw.

What a complete disappointment Shaw has been for United.
I hope to god it is. I'd tolerate him if he was a good attacking fullback but he's pretty underwhelming at that as well.

He had a bad game, as did the rest of the team. Forget it happened and let's move on. He will come back stronger.
I feel like we’ve been saying this ever since he arrived, honestly it’s always something with this guy.

dev1l

Our players are much more under the microscope than those of other teams.
I m sure that if someone does th same for TAA and Robertson he ll find lot of errors too.
Robertson s pass to Lacazette was an obvious one.
If Shaw or Maguire did that, we ll have 1000 videos on social media

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Our players are much more under the microscope than those of other teams.
I m sure that if someone does th same for TAA and Robertson he ll find lot of errors too.
Robertson s pass to Lacazette was an obvious one.
If Shaw or Maguire did that, we ll have 1000 videos on social media
Yes but Robertson and TAA excel at other things. Luke Shaw can barely get to the opposition third without getting a nose bleed and recycling it back to his midfielders.

dev1l

Interesting stats...

According to Wiki "permanently injured" Luke Shaw took part in 19+40+33 = 92 games for us in the last 3 seasons.

Dayot Upamecano,who many over here describe as the solution to our defensive woes, took part in 41+22+37 = 100 games in the last 3 seasons for Rb.

GimmeThatBall_M8_NL

He had a bad game, as did the rest of the team. Forget it happened and let's move on. He will come back stronger.
Thats what everyone says and then he gets injured again and so continues the cycle. Shaw is done for now we have Telles.

Himannv

I feel like we’ve been saying this ever since he arrived, honestly it’s always something with this guy.
I agree that he hasn't been brilliant in every game, but if you look at the collective of his performances over the season, he's actually very involved in the buildup to attacks and has good defensive performances. The left flank is still our most productive source of chances.

His last game was a horrible performance and as one of his biggest fans I'll raise my hand and accept that. He's not an error free player by any means, but I'd say in general he puts in consistently good performances over the course of the season. I'd say he's still the best LB we have in the squad and actually one of the better ones in the league as well, but that's my personal opinion and I'd understand people disagreeing with that.

Thats what everyone says and then he gets injured again and so continues the cycle. Shaw is done for now we have Telles.
I completely agree that he gets injured far too often and it totally disrupts his rhythm, but I don't think he's done. Telles is not a better player than him from what I've seen, but let's see how it goes.

starman

Yeah because theres not a option there on the edge of the box right? Also I never knew Maguire had eyes at the back of his head...
There's 3 other United players in there and 2 Spurs one to deal with, they should be taking responsibility

TsuWave

Yeah because theres not a option there on the edge of the box right? Also I never knew Maguire had eyes at the back of his head...
There's 3 other United players in there and 2 Spurs one to deal with, they should be taking responsibility
I merely answered a question. If you’re frustrated take it up with Shaw or Maguire. They’re both bums to me. I was the one that posted the video of Shaw’s idiotic run, you know.

starman

I merely answered a question. If you’re frustrated take it up with Shaw or Maguire. They’re both bums to me. I was the one that posted the video of Shaw’s idiotic run, you know.
Or take it up with the other 3 in the box. Most of your posts are lambasting Shaw and Maguire, very little about anyone else, all of them can clearly see Son charging to the front post

Foxbatt

Normally he is not that bad as against Spurs. When we are a man down, we should be able to cover the middle too.,

TsuWave

Or take it up with the other 3 in the box. Most of your posts are lambasting Shaw and Maguire, very little about anyone else, all of them can clearly see Son charging to the front post
I’m posting in the discussion threads for the players I want to talk about and because they are the ones culpable. Shaw is out of position and makes an idiotic run, and the ball goes through Maguire like he wasn’t there.

unitedrulez84

Jose has never rated Shaw and has always spoken of how he leaves space between himself and the CB. It's no coincidence that a few of our goals conceded came from his side.
Old article from 2019

https://www.goal.com/en-my/news/man...ht-about-luke-shaw/13ss7dmndui8n1esisha3kw045

In April 2017, and having restored Shaw to the United squad, Jose Mourinho fielded a question about his performance in a league game against Everton.

"He had a good performance, but it was his body with my brain,” Mourinho said.

"He was in front of me and I was making every decision for him.

"The communication was possible because we were very close. I was thinking for him, when to close inside, when to open, when to press the opponent, I was making every decision for him."

The evidence of these long-standing tactical issues are still present in Shaw.

Mourinho was out in front of the Sky Sports cameras last Sunday, remarking that new signing Harry Maguire had better get used to covering for Shaw on that side of defence.

“When Maguire has to cover for Luke Shaw, he will learn he has to do this a lot of times during the season, the space in the face of the ball, somebody has to arrive,” Mourinho said.

It was widely interpreted as another dig at Shaw from the former United manager, who had well documented issues with him during their two-and-a-bit seasons together.

starman

I’m posting in the discussion threads for the players I want to talk about and because they are the ones culpable. Shaw is out of position and makes an idiotic run, and the ball goes through Maguire like he wasn’t there.
Pretty much what I mean, you create a selective narrow minded vision to fit a certain narrative taking aiming at certain predetermined players no what the situation by not deconstructing the entire picture.
The whole defence is a shambles, but for that particular goal, the main culprits were Matic strolling back letting Son go and AWB and Bailly (particularly) were daydreaming not sniffing out the danger that they could clearly see.

TsuWave

Pretty much what I mean, you create a selective narrow minded vision to fit a certain narrative taking aiming at certain predetermined players no what the situation by not deconstructing the entire picture.
The whole defence is a shambles, but for that particular goal, the main culprits were Matic strolling back letting Son go and AWB and Bailly (particularly) were daydreaming not sniffing out the danger that they could clearly see.
Yeah man, let me blame Matic, AWB and Bailly for Maguire not being able to defend, hell close his legs, and for Shaw being in no man’s land.

starman

Yeah man, let me blame Matic, AWB and Bailly for Maguire not being able to defend, hell close his legs, and for Shaw being in no man’s land.
And what if he does close his legs? does that instantly stop the opportunity to cross the ball? I am probably speaking to someone that's never played football in their life before, what Maguire did was not great defending but he was trying to make himself as big as possible and cut the angles...
Should every single defender in history that do not stop a cross leading to a goal be the main to person to blame? :houllier:
Only a person that has a specific agenda would not face upto the fact that the goalscorer was allowed to run 20 yards freely and unchecked when there were 3 other players that could see him

TsuWave

And what if he does close his legs?
The ball doesn’t go through him.

I am probably speaking to someone that's never played football in their life before,
I played for a Portuguese club’s youth team until I was 16, at which point I relocated back to the U.K. and even then I played football every weekend with Gil and Valdano Gomes being my coaches :lol: I’m always around football.

Didn’t read the rest. Maguire and Shaw are bums.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The word agenda is overused on the cafe, but people seem to be using their own individual agenda against certain players to apportion blame.

Maguire pointing to the massive gaping hole in defence where 2 Tottenham players are doesn't seem a mad decision to me.

He can't have known Aurier would play a supreme ball in, or that Son would sprint there, or that the United players would totally lose their men.
What else should Maguire have done there?

Status
Not open for further replies.