Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Good performance, he gives us great options tactically. He can be a bit of a handful by doubling-up with Telles at LWB at times too, not sure if that was by design but it pressured PSG.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Told you after last game, he's pure Defender and a very good one. One of the reasons I think this 3-5-2 might work for us, at least in some big games.

He looks confident on the ball too but he's out of sync with the rest of the team when attacking, I'd definitely give Telles a try as Wing back.

spiriticon

He is a CB masquerading as a LB.

Just change his goddamn position permanently Ole.

Was really surprised by his performance, mainly because how far, and how often he got forward in the role. Great performance from him.

saivet

He really suits that LCB role and if we play a back 3 it has to be him there and Telles at LWB. If Southgate is pursuing a back 3, he should be playing there for England too.

Idxomer

Also played a great cross that found both Martial and Tuanzebe.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want see him in one game with Maguire in a 4 man defence to see if he can do it by himself without the 352 formation.

Even if it's just that, still a useful player there.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He did a really good job tonight, like Tuanzebe his pace was a big asset in cutting out some balls Lindelof couldn't quite reach. PSG shat themselves a few times when he started overlapping Telles too.

The United

His problem apart from injuries has been his concentration. You would think playing him in LCB role would sound bad but for some reasons, he does not have that problem whenever he plays LCB although he has not played too many there yet.

Andersons Dietician

There was a ball launched at him that he controlled and killed whilst players were running towards him and he made it look like nothing. His touch, passing and vision is criminally underrated. Solid in defence tonight to back it up with some crucial clearances and blocks.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not sure he could replicate this solid performance on the left of a back two.

But, feck it, let’s give him a shot in one of the cups coming up.

The United

Bizarrely seems to attack more when he's playing left of a 3 at centre back than he does when he's at left back
Because he has more protection in a 3. Plus he does run forward a lot as LB. People just chose to ignore that. Try to rewatch some of the games this year he was in.

His final product well that's a different subject.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Because he has more protection in a 3. Plus he does run forward a lot as LB. People just chose to ignore that. Try to rewatch some of the games this year he was in.

His final product well that's a different subject.
Definately shows more attacking drive coming from the deeper position. Just seems to attack the space more when he sees he's the spare man

Devil81

Left of a central three is, his best position. Less running but able to read the game well and calm on the ball.

Thats his position as far as I'm concerned.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bizarrely seems to attack more when he's playing left of a 3 at centre back than he does when he's at left back
Because he’s better at passing and reading the game, I’ve said many times he’d make a fantastic midfielder IMO.

Great again tonight. Suits the LCB role really well and is probably the best at that for England also!

Mickson

Nothing new under the sun. He's very good in that position. Not a particularly good fullback though. Sadly.

Dominos

He is a CB masquerading as a LB.

Just change his goddamn position permanently Ole.
This is what i think too, especially when you compare him to other LBs.

Digne, Chillwell, Robertson, Telles...
Would you really start him as a CB in a 2 though? I wouldn't unless there was an injury crisis. I suspect he's not good enough in the air or at dealing with the premier league's big physical strikers to perform that role long term.

He has been fantastic every time he's played left of a 3 though, he got big praise last season when he played that role. Should mention he played very well at left back after we changed formation to be fair, I think the first 3 league games have skewed opinions really, he's a pretty defensively solid full back at his best. Just has no end product in the final third.

spiriticon

This is what i think too, especially when you compare him to other LBs.

Digne, Chillwell, Robertson, Telles...
I want see him in one game with Maguire in a 4 man defence to see if he can do it by himself without the 352 formation.

Even if it's just that, still a useful player there.
What irks me is that he is probably the best ball-playing CB we have and yet we insist on shunting him out there to hug the touchline, where he's less tactically sure of himself and hasn't got the end product to match the wide position.

It's like asking Rio or Vidic to play LB. Yeah sure, they'd probably do ok, but it's not what they're good at.

spiriticon

Would you really start him as a CB in a 2 though? I wouldn't unless there was an injury crisis. I suspect he's not good enough in the air or at dealing with the premier league's big physical strikers to perform that role long term.

He has been fantastic every time he's played left of a 3 though, he got big praise last season when he played that role. Should mention he played very well at left back after we changed formation to be fair, I think the first 3 league games have skewed opinions really, he's a pretty defensively solid full back at his best. Just has no end product in the final third.
I don't know, but as someone else said, let's experiment in the Carabao Cup.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Superb. With Telles at LB, maybe LCB in a back three will become his position.
Aye, he's generally very good in that LCB role and he was fantastic tonight. I'm wondering now how he'd fare as a CB in a back four.

:lol: I thought that during the match too. In fairness even as a LB in a back four he seems to be more comfortable cutting in and underlapping rather than constantly attacking the byline, so that LCB position enables him to do just that while often not being tightly marked.

Walters_19_MuFc

Absolutely brilliant today. If Gareth Southgate is going to continue with three at the back, then look no further than Luke Shaw. Running out with the ball, passing between the lines, defending well - the lot. Really impressive performance from him.

Last edited:

Grande

Absolutely brilliant today. If Garthe Southgate is going to continue with three at the back, then look no further than Luke Shaw. Running out with the ball, passing between the lines, defending well - the lot. Really impressive performance from him.
As long as he keeps aware of the offside line, he can be very stable. Has been bad for three games and after the own goal, very good for two games.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Beast. Loved every aspect of his play tonight.
His best game for us since his massive injury?

Walters_19_MuFc

As long as he keeps aware of the offside line, he can be very stable. Has been bad for three games and after the own goal, very good for two games.
To be fair, the whole team has been bad defensively. Since Ole has made some changes, i.e. Fred and McT at the base of midfield, back three, etc, it seems to have benefited everyone. Hopefully it can continue.

Grande

To be fair, the whole team has been bad defensively. Since Ole has made some changes, i.e. Fred and McT at the base of midfield, back three, etc, it seems to have benefited everyone. Hopefully it can continue.
True. At the same time, we have been brilliant both times after Pogba has been put on these two last games, defensively as well. But he’s been higher up the pitch also.

Idxomer

Saw on whoscored he had the most accurate passes in the team, 10 more than any other player except Fernandes who had one less.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was pushing up even when we had 3 or 5 at the back, whatever you call it. I don’t think he was the cb people are making out? Maybe so when defending but I don’t see many CBs in the opposition half.

Alemar

Shouldn’t he actually pursue a route of Philipp Lahm and Joshua Kimmich? A full back to CDM transformation.

spiriticon

He was pushing up even when we had 3 or 5 at the back, whatever you call it. I don’t think he was the cb people are making out? Maybe so when defending but I don’t see many CBs in the opposition half.
If he plays CB in a back 4 he can't push up as much, but that's fine. His impact, once past the halfway line, is very very limited anyway so I don't see it as a big loss if he has to stay back.

Let's face it, the bar is not very high at the moment for CBs at United. It's not like Shaw has a mountain to climb to stake his place for a more permanent central position.

If we play 5 at the back though, he must start LCB. Easily our best defender in a back 5.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Imagine how good he would have been if Jose had been running up and down the touchline, telling him what to do.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Very impressive from Mr. Chub2. I thought he was excellent against Newcastle also.

lawliet354

There was a ball launched at him that he controlled and killed whilst players were running towards him and he made it look like nothing. His touch, passing and vision is criminally underrated. Solid in defence tonight to back it up with some crucial clearances and blocks.
The second goal actually started by his amazing first touch. He's always had great technique, I wonder if he can be converted to permanent CB just like Alaba.

Status
Not open for further replies.