Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm not convinced its a bad one. Shaw looked surprised at being subbed, and didn't seem to be having issues with his mobility.

I really do think Ole plans to use him as a LCB is a back 5 on a regular basis, and we have just been waiting on Telles to get up to speed before using it more regularly. LCB should be way less physically demanding too so we'll hopefully see a reduction in these muscular issues.
I was thinking the same. First thought was we'll try to save him from international games because of "injury" .

It will be a terrible loss because one thing is for sure, after Covid Telles is not playing 90min games packed in tight schedule.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I was thinking the same. First thought was we'll try to save him from international games because of "injury" .

It will be a terrible loss because one thing is for sure, after Covid Telles is not playing 90min games packed in tight schedule.
Pretty sure he isn't in the England squad anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Did the arrival from Telles made him cross the ball better :lol: ? He puts real effort into whipping the ball and finding his teammates instead those half arsed mid air attempts he used to often do.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yet he runs up and down and up and down... He has played ALOT and with the schedule and amount of games you cant really say thats he made of glass.. And he has had what? 3 weeks break in over a year?

This forum is sometimes very very weird.
Yeah, really weird. Nothing to do with his storied injury history. You can pretend he's not been prone to injuries in the past but he has been. He's been here 6 years and only managed to complete 20+ PL games in 2 of those seasons. Weird my fecking arse.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Yeah, really weird. Nothing to do with his storied injury history. You can pretend he's not been prone to injuries in the past but he has been. He's been here 6 years and only managed to complete 20+ PL games in 2 of those seasons. Weird my fecking arse.
With those 2 seasons being 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. So there is cause for optimism.

AltiUn

With those 2 seasons being 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. So there is cause for optimism.
That's true, he still only managed 29 and 24 respectively. This'll be his 4th hamstring injury since he joined us, last season he ended up missing 9 games with another hamstring injury. I'm getting quite concerned if I'm being honest.

arnie_ni

Said this before about shaw but i think he's vital to oles tactics.

He has probably one of best first touches in the team, and is one of the best passers. Its why so much play goes through him and our left side.

He doesnt constantly overlap because he plays almost as a midfielder at times.

Andersonson

https://www.transfermarkt.com/luke-shaw/verletzungen/spieler/183288

Last couple of years he has been fine. And after the COVID-football started its been to much pressure on footballers. And injuries have been massive all around, and it aint healthy. To blame this injury on him is absurd and not seeing the whole picture.

And that baffles me to be honest.

AltiUn

Last couple of years he has been fine. And after the COVID-football started its been to much pressure on footballers. And injuries have been massive all around, and it aint healthy. To blame this injury on him is absurd and not seeing the whole picture.

And that baffles me to be honest.
He had 2 injuries before Covid last season alone, that's anything but fine. What the TM injury list shows (don't worry, I already looked) is that he had basically 1 injury free year in 6.

I don't see what's so baffling? I'm not blaming him for his injuries, I'm aware he can't help it. I'm sorry I've upset you so much for pointing out that Shaw's pretty injury prone, which he is.

The United

Said this before about shaw but i think he's vital to oles tactics.

He has probably one of best first touches in the team, and is one of the best passers. Its why so much play goes through him and our left side.

He doesnt constantly overlap because he plays almost as a midfielder at times.
Constant overlapping like how SAF used to play us is difficult due to the fact that we have AWB as RB there. I believe Ole just balances it out by overloading the left to create some space for AWB to run into on the right and switch the ball to him quick. And, we do not have a right wing player who can run into the box with the ball like Rashford or Martial. No point using the right side to build a play.

You would say that well AWB is terrible at attacking. What is the point? The point is to create as much as space possible to AWB to do some basic attacking on the right instead of not using that side at all.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Did the arrival from Telles made him cross the ball better :lol: ? He puts real effort into whipping the ball and finding his teammates instead those half arsed mid air attempts he used to often do.
The real difference is that Bruno actually goes into the box for the ball.

Rashford, Martial and Pogba used to love standing outside the box so they could get the ball on to their feet to try and dribble in or giveaway a goalkick by trying to shoot from outside the box.

No real point for Shaw to cross when there's nobody to get to it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The real difference is that Bruno actually goes into the box for the ball.

Rashford, Martial and Pogba used to love standing outside the box so they could get the ball on to their feet to try and dribble in or giveaway a goalkick by trying to shoot from outside the box.

No real point for Shaw to cross when there's nobody to get to it.
Whatever the case, it's nice to see him display this ability. Hopefully with Cavani playing more, he'll have more opportunities to do it

Kostov

Nice cross for the goal but feck me, why doesn't he do that more often? He has such a mint first touch, very very good close control and then usually he neither tries to cross enough and when he does it's very lame.

Grande

Nice cross for the goal but feck me, why doesn't he do that more often? He has such a mint first touch, very very good close control and then usually he neither tries to cross enough and when he does it's very lame.
Twice in two games now, so it’s looking good. ;) It struck me that both were hit inside of the defender. I think normally he struggles with hitting it beyond the defender. He’s got aquick start and will get to the touchline but will normally be blocked. Not sure why that is, but it’s a good thing if he now can hurt defenders both on the inside and the outside.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Most people seem to have forgotten that he was putting a lot of good balls into the box (either crosses or passes) between lockdown and his injury last season. Unfortunately the attackers kept stuffing it up but he was creating good opportunities.

sugar_kane

After Fred and Bruno perhaps our hardest worker this season.

He's been caught out of position a few times but he covers tons of ground and seems to be constantly involved for us.

Nice to see him get a couple of assists this season as well, hopefully the injury isn't a serious one.

Kostov

Twice in two games now, so it’s looking good. ;) It struck me that both were hit inside of the defender. I think normally he struggles with hitting it beyond the defender. He’s got aquick start and will get to the touchline but will normally be blocked. Not sure why that is, but it’s a good thing if he now can hurt defenders both on the inside and the outside.
He usually gets blocked because all the action (and that is for most of the team not just him) is done at snail level pace, most of the defenders are able to position themselves by the time the ball is played. We have to work on more coherent and fast football, it would be evident in everyone's contribution.

RonaldoVII

Not good. At least Telles is fit; he just needs to stay fit with Brazil. Hopefully Shaw makes it back for the Christmas period.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Not good. At least Telles is fit; he just needs to stay fit with Brazil. Hopefully Shaw makes it back for the Christmas period.
Terrible, it feels like every time Shaw gets into form he gets injured. Happened at the tail end of last season too.

As you say, its fortunate we have another option.

romufc

This is annoying because he takes 2/3 weeks to get into form and then 4/5 weeks later he is injured.

Really frustrating this for Shaw. Luckily we have Telles, gives us a good indication of his qualities.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why the hell did we play him against Instanbul? we should have played Williams, it seems bonkers to keep over playing somebody that suffers from muscle fatigue. Shaw is great when fit but clearly he cant do 6 games in a 2 week period or his body gives up.

It's really unlucky for us that Telles got Covid as no doubt he would have played in at least 1 of those.

Just as the poor guy gets a good run going and looks dangerous he gets injuries, it's so frustrating for him.

Thank god we've got 2 weeks of internationals so it won't feel quite so bad.

RonaldoVII

As Oliver Kay is saying, he started 7 games in 22 days. Given his injury past, should we be surprised when he gets injured after that schedule? Williams could've played in Istanbul surely.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Shaw is very crucial to how we play. Defining period for Ole.

Have no idea how Telles would fare.

Cloud7

This feels like the story of Shaw’s United career; Everytime he gets into form he ends up getting injured, and he usually takes a while to get going after an injury as well.

At least now we have Telles who will hopefully perform, but you do have to wonder at what point the club would consider Shaw’s issues to not be worth persevering with relative to what he provides us when fit, and look for a new first choice LB.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This feels like the story of Shaw’s United career; Everytime he gets into form he ends up getting injured, and he usually takes a while to get going after an injury as well.

At least now we have Telles who will hopefully perform, but you do have to wonder at what point the club would consider Shaw’s issues to not be worth persevering with relative to what he provides us when fit, and look for a new first choice LB.
His recent match load was way too high. Nothing to do with the past.

Just unfortunate Telles got covid.

Cloud7

His recent match load was way too high. Nothing to do with the past.

Just unfortunate Telles got covid.
In his time at United Shaw has played 20, 8, 19, 19, 40, 33 games in all competitions. It's only over the last two seasons that he's been available for more than half our matches.

There's a clear breakdown here of his injury history. Sure, the recent match load has been higher than ideal, but this isn't a new story with Shaw.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No surprise. Said it a bunch of times but the second Shaw plays weekend/midweek multiple weeks in a row, he gets injured. Thankfully we have Telles now, was bad timing for him to get Covid but hopefully he's good when he comes back and ready to play. He'll bring us up a level anyway IMO, and generally he has a good fitness record so I think he'll be more durable than Shaw.

Berbaclass

In his time at United Shaw has played 20, 8, 19, 19, 40, 33 games in all competitions. It's only over the last two seasons that he's been available for more than half our matches.

There's a clear breakdown here of his injury history. Sure, the recent match load has been higher than ideal, but this isn't a new story with Shaw.
He's the sort of player that needs to be managed. Him playing 7 games in 22 days like you say is far from ideal. The least injury prone player ever would struggle in that scenario.

Cloud7

He's the sort of player that needs to be managed. Him playing 7 games in 22 days like you say is far from ideal. The least injury prone player ever would struggle in that scenario.
Which goes back to the question I was asking. At what point does what Shaw brings to the table going to be considered not worth the amount of time he spends being unavailable? At the end of the day he's a good player but he's no Lahm or Marcelo.

It's not an immediate priority, but it is a consideration the club might make in the next year or two.

Berbaclass

Which goes back to the question I was asking. At what point does what Shaw brings to the table going to be considered not worth the amount of time he spends being unavailable? At the end of the day he's a good player but he's no Lahm or Marcelo.

It's not an immediate priority, but it is a consideration the club might make in the next year or two.
It isn't worth it really, which Is why we've seen the club move for Telles. I don't think they'll renew him next time and look to sell him on. He's a good player on his day but sadly we just see too few of them.

Cloud7

It isn't worth it really, which Is why we've seen the club move for Telles. I don't think they'll renew him next time and look to sell him on. He's a good player on his day but sadly we just see too few of them.
That's my feeling as well.

Berbaclass

That's my feeling as well.
He's 2 years into his latest 5 year deal so if we're going to move him on then it is potentially going to be in the next year when his value is at its highest. Let's just hope he regains a good level of fitness to either stake a claim for his place or to attract interest from a potential buyer.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah. His contract runs out in 2023. At the end of this season he'll be entering the final two years of his deal. I can't imagine United will be looking to give him a new one.

Berbaclass

Yeah. His contract runs out in 2023. At the end of this season he'll be entering the final two years of his deal. I can't imagine United will be looking to give him a new one.
Yeah I pretty much said that in my post above. Think his time is coming to an end.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We renewed Phil Jones not long ago, Shaw will be renewed. Probably will just turn into a rotation player though, but as he's not all that versatile, he might go looking for first team football.

Status
Not open for further replies.