Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We renewed Phil Jones not long ago, Shaw will be renewed. Probably will just turn into a rotation player though, but as he's not all that versatile, he might go looking for first team football.
I think that was to protect the value of the asset though in fairness. Luke has shown he is capable of far much more than Jones.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah I pretty much said that in my post above. Think his time is coming to an end.
We must've posted at the same time. You're right though. Its obvious Shaw like Bailly is going to be managed out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The reason I like Shaw is because I actually find defensive fullbacks harder to find than attacking fullbacks.

That doesnt mean that we should use them over an attacking one but keeping them within the squad is useful more than keeping 2 or 3 attacking players only.

We see Shaw these days playing at LCB, LB and some fans highlighting that he covers LCM, LDM positions aswell.

Not a player I particularly complain about staying because he definitely has his uses.

An attacking one only plays at LB and LWB, maybe LW at max.

I like the idea of us having 2 attacking fullbacks and 2 defensive fullbacks overall as a squad. It makes me feel versatile as a squad similar to having a false 9 as a striker and a predatory striker in the box aswell.

What we use should be adapted, having the ability to do so is an undervalued aspect of our tactics. We had wes brown at RB arguably for our greatest attacking team in our club history just as much as we had Evra on the other side. I'd like to have a bit of diversity in our roles all throughout our squad.

el3mel

Really shame about that. At least we have Telles coming so it'll be a good opportunity for him.

Zoo

I’m sorry for him because he was in good form and hopefully he’ll quickly get back to that when he’s fit again. But this is why getting Telles was so important

Saying Shaw is injured is like saying the sky is blue. I'm sure hes only been fit for one full season since hes been with us and that was Jose's last season.

The_Midfielder

If we are going with McT-Fred axis and Awb on the other side .. Telles or any attacking full back could be a better option than Shaw

HowYouDoin

Shaw is solid but always deals with injuries and its why we had to get Telles. We"ll be alright.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I believe something will happen to Telles in the next days too :rolleyes:
So back to Williams, Fosu-Mensah or even Rojo :drool:

The injury would have happened maybe too but that Shaw has played 7 matches in 22 days was always a mistake.

Jetrooooo

Why are we pretending that Shaw was in form? He set up as many goals as he scored own goals.

I liked Shaw but he has been very disappointing. He went at the time to United for the same price as prime Fabregas or Diego Costa went. And is on 10m£ a year.

He averages 1 assist a year since the start of his career. He scored 1 PL goal his whole career. He just isn't a modern FB. Look at what TAA or Walker brings to a team.

If he was at least as good defensively as AWB. You could excuse him, but he is far from that level. Or do you guys reckon that is his strength? No wonder Ole wanted to bring a LB in.

I really don't get why people think he is improving. He is playing on the same level he has always been. Would anybody be saying the same without that cross to Fernandes. where Bruno still had a lot of work to do. I've seen Telles wip in better crosses in 1 match then Shaw has done his whole career. Telles will be a godsent especially for Cavani. We just have zero crossers from the FBs and not much from the wings neither without a natural RW and Rashford cutting inside + Fernandes going through the middle. We haven't had a good crosser of the ball in such a long time. It will be a revelation.

Shaw just is far from United quality. Its time to move on or see him as a backup. Especially with his injury record. He should be bringing way more. He is by far the weakest link in our team.

For example, TAA had 13 PL assist last season compared to Shaws 8 his whole career!(on almost 500 crosses, not even counting other passes). I can't wait for Telles to be recovered.

Last edited:

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Bad news. I really do not understand our fans who are moaning about Shaw. For sure one of our most consistent performers over the past few months. I would even say past few years as far as he had been fit.
Even when the team plays shit he is often one of the very few who is still playing solid.

Let's see what Telles is able to do, but when we are talking about players and positions where we need an upgrade Shaw is one of the last who comes to my mind.

Maureen-yo

Why are we pretending that Shaw was in form? He set up as many goals as he scored own goals.

I liked Shaw but he has been very disappointing. He went at the time to United for the same price as prime Fabregas or Diego Costa went. And is on 10m£ a year.

He averages 1 assist a year since the start of his career. He scored 1 PL goal his whole career. He just isn't a modern FB. Look at what TAA or Walker brings to a team.

If he was at least as good defensively as AWB. You could excuse him, but he is far from that level. Or do you guys reckon that is his strength? No wonder Ole wanted to bring a LB in.

I really don't get why people think he is improving. He is playing on the same level he has always been. Would anybody be saying the same without that cross to Fernandes. where Bruno still had a lot of work to do. I've seen Telles wip in better crosses in 1 match then Shaw has done his whole career. Telles will be a godsent especially for Cavani. We just have zero crossers from the FBs and not much from the wings neither without a natural RW and Rashford cutting inside + Fernandes going through the middle. We haven't had a good crosser of the ball in such a long time. It will be a revelation.

Shaw just is far from United quality. Its time to move on or see him as a backup. Especially with his injury record. He should be bringing way more. He is by far the weakest link in our team.

For example, TAA had 13 PL assist last season compared to Shaws 8 his whole career!(on almost 500 crosses, not even counting other passes). I can't wait for Telles to be recovered.
You think he's not as defensively good as AWB because he doesn't make last ditch sliding tackles that have shown up bad positioning to begin with.
Shaw s a very good defender and is showing improvements and glimpses of getting back to the pre-Leg break, forward running player.
You keep citing TAA but seem to be ignoring the fact that he isn't a good defender, he was bailed out by VVD an awful lot and that's showing now and is illustrated by Liverpool's goals conceded this season so far.

If you think Shaw is the weakest link in the team then you definitely aren't a supporter who watchesany games.

Jetrooooo

Shaw is a very good defender and TAA or Robertson(12 assists PL too) gets bailed out by V Dijk. Come on mate. I dislike Liverpool too but everybody would swap Shaw in a heartbeat for any of them 2.

arnie_ni

Why the hell did we play him against Instanbul? we should have played Williams, it seems bonkers to keep over playing somebody that suffers from muscle fatigue. Shaw is great when fit but clearly he cant do 6 games in a 2 week period or his body gives up.

It's really unlucky for us that Telles got Covid as no doubt he would have played in at least 1 of those.

Just as the poor guy gets a good run going and looks dangerous he gets injuries, it's so frustrating for him.

Thank god we've got 2 weeks of internationals so it won't feel quite so bad.
They said during the everton game he was the only player to play every minute of the season so far.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They said during the everton game he was the only player to play every minute of the season so far.
Doesn't seem right does it? We know he has a history of injuries especially hamstring related.

We should have been able to rest him against instanbul, now we've lost him for a month. God knows what the medical team are doing.

Doracle

One of our best and most important players. As others have said, should have been rested in mid-week. At least he won’t be out for too long after the international break and we have Telles back as cover. Real shame as he was in terrific form.

Maureen-yo

Shaw is a very good defender and TAA or Robertson(12 assists PL too) gets bailed out by V Dijk. Come on mate. I dislike Liverpool too but everybody would swap Shaw in a heartbeat for any of them 2.
Of course they do and now you're seeing the evidence, even Liverpool fans are bemoaning Trent's defensive displays.
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the stats for assists when Liverpool play with a very high line and high two high pushing full backs due to their system; United currently don't.
You only need to look at the majority of posts on this thread to see that Shaw is highly rated and is seen as an important part of the team.

Web of Bissaka

Just putting this here.
Yes I know, it's past game but it does show how fragile our defense organization is, with the poor communication and all.

So if it's true that that is De Gea's voice, then Shaw chose to ignore him.
To be fair to Shaw, he decided to follow the captain's pointing finger "order".

It's also a testament to Shaw that he is arguably the only player De Gea can trust in this situation because frankly Bailly could've easily cover the spot Shaw left behind but as usual Bailly don't have that "defensive vision" i.e. awareness of danger.

:lol: Than again, maybe he's actually saying "Go Luke, go!" which Shaw did, but their body languages and reactions afterwards (no I'm not an expert in reading body languages) seems to say otherwise.

criticalanalysis

Just putting this here.
Yes I know, it's past game but it does show how fragile our defense organization is, with the poor communication and all.

So if it's true that that is De Gea's voice, then Shaw chose to ignore him.
To be fair to Shaw, he decided to follow the captain's pointing finger "order".

It's also a testament to Shaw that he is arguably the only player De Gea can trust in this situation because frankly Bailly could've easily cover the spot Shaw left behind but as usual Bailly don't have that "defensive vision" i.e. awareness of danger.

:lol: Than again, maybe he's actually saying "Go Luke, go!" which Shaw did, but their body languages and reactions afterwards (no I'm not an expert in reading body languages) seems to say otherwise.
It was poor by Shaw, Bailly and De Gea in that sequence. Was a proper clusterfeck of a game tbh.

Jetrooooo

Look at that cross from Robertson today and say we couldn't use more of that at United.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Look at that cross from Robertson today and say we couldn't use more of that at United.
I think our problem is also, how little to none we have players in the box when the ball is on the wing to cross.

Saddy

I'm looking forward to Shaw coming back and play left side of a back 3 with Telles at left wing back - that will be the basis of our challenge in the Champions league and the big games in the league IMO

RashyForPM

Just thought about this, but it’s prime time for Lukey baby to return. I genuinely feel that if he does and we get to play our tried and tested 5-3-2 against top sides, then we’ll beat both Leipzig and City. Tuanzebe or McT in there would feel a bit risky.

arnie_ni

The more Telles plays, the clearer it gets that Shaw is the better option for this team.
He is, but telles is a more than adequate back up and rotation option. Also allows us to play a back 5.

Think he's a great signing for that reason. Great squad addition.

I think the issue is people thinking hed push Shaw out

Bobski

Shaw is underestimated, technically excellent, strong one v one.

He is, but telles is a more than adequate back up and rotation option. Also allows us to play a back 5.

Think he's a great signing for that reason. Great squad addition.

I think the issue is people thinking hed push Shaw out
agreed on all counts. Shaw was excellent in the few games he played after Telles arrives.

Telles has only played a few games, and done well - very happy with the competition.

OrcaFat

I hope Shaw is spurred on by Telles’ attacking qualities and does some extra training on crosses and set piece delivery. (And maybe a few laps while he’s at it).

Status
Not open for further replies.