Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't know how anyone can say anything bad about Shaw. He is the best LB in the league. Show me a player who does the work that he does at both ends of the pitch. Robertson is the only player who can even be compared to him. He is fantastic and always has been. Hell, he was our player of the year two seasons ago. This isn't something new. The only knock on him can be his injury record. That's it. If his fitness stays and he's not starting for England this summer than Southgate needs to be fired....

Raven

Could say the same about you mate, to be honest. I disagree that he's been consistent for 3 seasons.
The only aspect of his game that's improved this season is his delivery. He's been one of the first names on the team sheet since Ole came in, but was also excellent for half a season under Mourinho as well.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
*in the league at the moment
Yep, definitely make that case. Key words for me would be "at the moment"

Obviously I hope this continues. But he's shown since he's come here that he's been anything but consistent. I don't personally think we can rely on him long term (again, I hope we can) that's why I suggest LONG TERM we could probably upgrade on him. He has these moments where he's great for us, then he regresses. Now, to be fair to him, a lot of that is due to injuries, but a lot of that is also due to form.

Been terrific last few weeks though, that's for sure

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Exceptional today and deserves all the praise he's getting. Put in a great shift, faultless in defense and created our best chance. Been great all season long.

Mickson

I don't know how anyone can say anything bad about Shaw. He is the best LB in the league. Show me a player who does the work that he does at both ends of the pitch. Robertson is the only player who can even be compared to him. He is fantastic and always has been. Hell, he was our player of the year two seasons ago. This isn't something new. The only knock on him can be his injury record. That's it. If his fitness stays and he's not starting for England this summer than Southgate needs to be fired....
That's just not true. He was excellent today and he is often excellent in these kinds of games. However, he's hardly excellent in the majority of games. He's more often than not kind of lazy in defense and when we dominate games, he doesn't offer much going forward.

Raven

That's just not true. He was excellent today and he is often excellent in these kinds of games. However, he's hardly excellent in the majority of games. He's more often than not kind of lazy in defense and when we dominate games, he doesn't offer much going forward.
He's excellent in most games he plays, almost every game he's played this season anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
The issues Shaw has is fitness and gaining match rhythm after a spell out. I think if he stays fit for a prolonged period he's superb. Going forward and defending.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Immense again.

I have been hard on him in the past because he has all the tools to be a top LB.

Not many players his size have excellent first touch, quickness, link up and awareness in tight areas.

He has improved his runs and crossing too.

But anyone saying he was always this good are wrong.

Grande

Disagree, apart from a few ‘post-injury’ matches, Shaw has been steady as a rock regardless of opposition defensively for at least two years now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I had written him off as not good enough but he's playing his best football since his leg break. Hope he keeps it up.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The only aspect of his game that's improved this season is his delivery. He's been one of the first names on the team sheet since Ole came in, but was also excellent for half a season under Mourinho as well.
He has improved on his final ball. We just fundamentally disagree with how consistent he's been over the years, I guess. He's played plenty of games where he's been terrible. And not just one-off games, either. But then he has run like this where he's great. And I hope that continues. Based on his career at this club so far, I don't believe it can long term. That's why I suggested it. I'm not trying to make the guy sound like some nonleague shlub.

I just happen to think we can improve on him long term, as I don't trust him to keep this form up. And a lot of that is due to injuries to be fair to the guy. Got nothing against him.

A-man

He has had a few of these, but I tend to agree. It was a very complete performance and he actually didn't have his usual 5-10 minute spell where he kinda sucks. He was solid all game through. Very good signs.
Exactly my thoughts as well, he kept his concentration 90 minutes and was 100% alert.

georgipep

Yep nearly gave away two goals. Misplaced a pass and Liverpool were nearly in. Turned his back to trents Cross another one. A liability. One good cross all game for Bruno. I give him that. That's tge only cross he made all game.

Imagine if we had a full back who could both attack and defend

There a reason hes not in the England squad and only has 8 caps. He makes mistakes too often.

arthurka

Don't know if it's Telles coming in our Shaw finally got his groove but he is playing at a very good level consistently.
Long may it continue.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
Yep nearly gave away two goals. Misplaced a pass and Liverpool were nearly in. Turned his back to trents Cross another one. A liability. One good cross all game for Bruno. I give him that. That's tge only cross he made all game.

Imagine if we had a full back who could both attack and defend

There a reason hes not in the England squad and only has 8 caps. He makes mistakes too often.
Has Luke shagged your sister or something?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Superb once again. I'm glad fans are starting to take notice, he has been excellent for 2 years, easily the best LB in the league. About time people start to realise it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The issues Shaw has is fitness and gaining match rhythm after a spell out. I think if he stays fit for a prolonged period he's superb. Going forward and defending.
Yep, that's definitely one of the main reasons why i say I can't trust him long term. He's been extremely unlucky in that sense. But his form can nosedive, as well. You could make the argument that's due to a lack of fitness I suppose from the aforementioned injuries.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Fitness and sometimes he looks like he’s playing too casually in my opinion, almost like it too easy for him? :lol:

Been brilliant for ages, I doubted him and really wanted completion for him, really happy he’s playing so well.

Raven

He has improved on his final ball. We just fundamentally disagree with how consistent he's been over the years, I guess. He's played plenty of games where he's been terrible. And not just one-off games, either. But then he has run like this where he's great. And I hope that continues. Based on his career at this club so far, I don't believe it can long term. That's why I suggested it. I'm not trying to make the guy sound like some nonleague shlub.

I just happen to think we can improve on him long term, as I don't trust him to keep this form up. And a lot of that is due to injuries to be fair to the guy. Got nothing against him.
Fair enough I guess. I very much doubt he will be replaced in the next few years though, he's got the trust of Ole and has been outstanding in repaying that faith.

Locke

Didn't realize that it was such a controversial thing to suggest that long term we could probably upgrade on a player who's been incredibly inconsistent for us since he's arrived. And just because I'm not a scout who analyses every LB in the world, I can't suggest we could probably upgrade in that department? That would only be a logical rebuttal from you if we all assumed that Luke Shaw is the best left-back in the world and the best that we can get. Let's not get all revisionist here and suggest that this guy has been a stalwart for this club since he's arrived.

He's had a good few weeks, as I said. He seems to be hitting some form which he occasionally does, but then loses it. Sometimes that's down to injuries, to be fair. To be honest, I was praising him in my original comment. Thought he was good last game, too. You seem to be overreacting, to be honest.
Yep, definitely make that case. Key words for me would be "at the moment"

Obviously I hope this continues. But he's shown since he's come here that he's been anything but consistent. I don't personally think we can rely on him long term (again, I hope we can) that's why I suggest LONG TERM we could probably upgrade on him. He has these moments where he's great for us, then he regresses. Now, to be fair to him, a lot of that is due to injuries, but a lot of that is also due to form.

Been terrific last few weeks though, that's for sure
So you are in this thread after that performance and want an upgrade of him? What’s up with that really? He’s been very good and consistent for a long time now.
He had an longtime injury and was maybe inconsistent for some time after that but last two seasons he’s been very good.
World class defensively and looking better offensively under Ole. He’s stats offensively could be better though but he’s not been allowed to make to many raids forward.
If he played for Liverpool with the freedom to get forward as Robertson has I’m sure he’s stats would be around the same.
he’s only 25 too and lost a year with an injury.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Fair enough I guess. I very much doubt he will be replaced in the next few years though, he's got the trust of Ole and has been outstanding in repaying that faith.
I thought Telles may have been that, to be honest. But he hasn't quite hit the ground running yet. Early days of course, but the signing seems to have put a rocket up Shaw's arse.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Extra large chippy tea, pack of penguins and a tub of Ben and Jerry’s lad....you’ve earned it

Raven

I thought Telles may have been that, to be honest. But he hasn't quite hit the ground running yet. Early days of course, but the signing seems to have put a rocket up Shaw's arse.
In my opinion, Telles was signed as his back up so that we can rest him from time to time so as to avoid over playing him and him getting injured. Telles isn't at the same level as Shaw, whatsoever.

Donut

When he’s playing like this he’s the best LB in the league, he’s been great for almost the entire season. Hope he stays fit because he’s one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

UtdAgain08

Shaw has been great for ages, some players just don't get the same amount of love as others.

crossy1686

career ending
I've battered Shaw for years but he has been absolutely immense this season since Telles came in. Really, really impressed with his turn around. Cannot fault the lad at all, finally looks like the player we paid all that money for years ago.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No idea what games you are watching to call Luke Shaw lazy. He is constantly getting forward and putting in good balls. He's not like AWB who rarely overlaps and usually passes back to midfield. Shaw works his ass off at both ends of the pitch all game every game. No idea how anyone can possibly deny that...

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not the first time he’s pocketed Salah. Offered plenty going forward too. Made the best chance of the game. One of his best ever displays for United.

Mindhunter

Had Salah in his pocket all game and made lung busting runs through the left several times. Should have had an assist too. He has gone through a lot and deserves massive credit to get there. Brilliant player.

Skills

Snitch
It's funny how everything has to have some sort of narrative in modern football. Every year a new narrative starts about Luke Shaw - first it was Mourinhos shunning put a rocket up his arse, last season it was Williams breaking through putting a rocket up his arse and this season it's Alex Telles being signed having the same effect.

Fact its all a load of shit. Luke Shaw has been the same player since he was TOTY left back at Southampton as a 17 year old - hes always been a great defender and technically he's an exceptional footballer. Only thing is, he struggles to find form without regular game time. That was the case in Van Gaals first season, it was the case when he was sidelined by Mourinho and then it's the case when he gets one of his niggly injuries that puts him out of the squad for a bit. After he strings a few games together he plays well - as he has done since he became a pro as a teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.