Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For the first 70 minutes or so I felt he was nowhere near as involved as he normally is. Wasn't doing anything wrong, but he wasn't really our extra playmaker like normal.
I thought the same. Came alive after that though.

criticalanalysis

Surprisingly bit of an 'off' game for me but that's to do with the ridiculously consistent high standards he's been setting.

There was plenty of decent runs, touches and brilliant set pieces but he did turn switch off a few times defensively in the first half. Also was a bit lax with some passes.

It's a minor criticism all things considered. Just hope he's not taking his foot off the pedal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
More chances created than Robertson this season. He's incredibly fit now, defensively stoic, and has an immaculate touch. He's pretty much a complete fullback.

Last edited:

Tapori

A dependable Luke Shaw?
Howson still hates him.
Pleased for the lad. Hard work is telling. Love the runs in-field and his passing decisions are SHARP.

Has to be found quicker and Rashford, Maguire et al, need to see some of the excellent positions in space he takes. They always expect hism to hug the wing but in transitions he sometimes picks the far more dangerous corner of the box space and a quick pass forward into him would be very appreciated.

Shaw now has the foundation to push on and DEMAND the ball into the positions he gets into
1 criticism; He's reverted - as have half our team - into being allergic to crossing when our box is packed, from the left and to do it quickly first time as the opposition is scampering back.
Please Ole, tell them to cross for christ's sake.

Dan_F

Very good, and you can tell his confidence is high. He’d be absolutely brilliant in City’s system too.

Sometimes it’s hard to look past the fact that he seems to just be half arsing it. Like if the ball goes out for a throw, it’s a chore to go get it. Or walking across the pitch to take that free kick in the first half, just jog at least mate.

Mcking

Swear every cross from him is a chance these days. Apparently created the fifth most chances in the league this season behind Grealish, Fernandes, De Bruyne and Mount.

Raven

Another good performance but I would have liked to see him cross it more, Martial and Bruno were both taking up decent positions in the box when the ball was out wide.

Baneofthegame

Another good performance but I would have liked to see him cross it more, Martial and Bruno were both taking up decent positions in the box when the ball was out wide.
They were? I can’t recall too many times either of them were making great runs or taking up positions in the box, Martial more so than Bruno.

Raven

They were? I can’t recall too many times either of them were making great runs or taking up positions in the box, Martial more so than Bruno.
There were quite a number of times when Shaw and AWB had the ball out wide and Martial and Bruno had taken up decent positions to contest good balls into the box. Rashford was also a little guilty of it on occasion.

BarstoolProphet

There were quite a number of times when Shaw and AWB had the ball out wide and Martial and Bruno had taken up decent positions to contest good balls into the box. Rashford was also a little guilty of it on occasion.
You can't really blame them for that when they know Martial won't really contest for a ball if crossed in.

Brightonian

1 criticism; He's reverted - as have half our team - into being allergic to crossing when our box is packed, from the left and to do it quickly first time as the opposition is scampering back.
Please Ole, tell them to cross for christ's sake.
It's very simple. We bought Cavani, and actually had a player in the box who looks for headers and can score them. So he started crossing. Today we played without Cavani and not only was there no-one who is an aerial threat in the box, but too often there was no-one in the box at all. Not on Luke at all, that one. Cavani has exposed how important it is to this team to have a proper #9 who you can ping crosses at.

arthurka

Not his biggest fan to say the least bit he is having a great season. Long may it continue.

Raven

You can't really blame them for that when they know Martial won't really contest for a ball if crossed in.
He can score from headers as he's shown in the past but the lads don't seem to like crossing unless Cavani's on which I think is a bit of a mistake because Shaw's crossing is pin point. That my only criticism of Shaw's game today though, otherwise he was solid and his set pieces were class.

Brightonian

Is he up to the standard of the best left back and hardest man in the league yet?
Even the big boys bounce off him now. I'm starting to think a big factor in his few seasons of limbo (along with injuries, fitness, confidence, shit managers etc) has been coming to terms with his physique and how to use it properly. As a youngster at S'oton and coming to us he played like a nippy Chilwell/Max Aarons type, because that was his build. Now you can see, especially in his defending, that he knows how to use his muscle. His defensive style is way more hard man/no nonsense than it used to be, and it works for him. And his attacking running is mostly either off the ball or into space with the ball. He doesn't try and weave around defenders, because he hasn't quite got the agility. But he knows he's hard to tackle from the side because of his strength (combined with his excellent ball control, of course), so he drives into space then looks for the pass.

Raven

Even the big boys bounce off him now. I'm starting to think a big factor in his few seasons of limbo (along with injuries, fitness, confidence, shit managers etc) has been coming to terms with his physique and how to use it properly. As a youngster at S'oton and coming to us he played like a nippy Chilwell/Max Aarons type, because that was his build. Now you can see, especially in his defending, that he knows how to use his muscle. His defensive style is way more hard man/no nonsense than it used to be, and it works for him. And his attacking running is mostly either off the ball or into space with the ball. He doesn't try and weave around defenders, because he hasn't quite got the agility. But he knows he's hard to tackle from the side because of his strength (combined with his excellent ball control, of course), so he drives into space then looks for the pass.
Yeah, he seems to flatten someone at least once or twice a game. He's really using his physique well.

united for life

This has now become normal. He’s at that level. He isn’t just on a good run of form, no. Under Ole, he’s gained confidence and matured to become the best LB in the league. What he’s doing both defensively and offensively is massive.

MDFC Manager

Said it few weeks ago, its funny nobody is making the 'fatty' jokes again, now that he's playing well (again).

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Love him, it would be scary to see how good he would be in city's system.
Oh, with his touch and never giving the ball away, he would be amazing.

Pep would love him. He might to tempted to use him at CB though.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's very simple. We bought Cavani, and actually had a player in the box who looks for headers and can score them. So he started crossing. Today we played without Cavani and not only was there no-one who is an aerial threat in the box, but too often there was no-one in the box at all. Not on Luke at all, that one. Cavani has exposed how important it is to this team to have a proper #9 who you can ping crosses at.
Amen.

People keep criticising Shaw for this when the real reason is that nobody really makes the runs to get into the end of the crosses apart from Cavani and sometimes Bruno.

There's a reason why Shaw keeps crossing when Cavani is on and stops it when he isn't playing. There's no point in crossing it when it's going to end up cleared by a defender and we'll be in danger of getting countered.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s a top top player. The type of top player that I like the most too as he is a top player largely due to being more talented than everyone else. That is the sort of gap that opposition find hardest to bridge - your left back may have a great attitude or whatever but when it’s all said and done - he’s just not as good as Luke Shaw because he can’t be. Delighted to see him fulfilling his potential, it’s been a long road to get here, but I’d say he’s comfortably the league’s best at the moment.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s a top top player. The type of top player that I like the most too as he is a top player largely due to being more talented than everyone else. That is the sort of gap that opposition find hardest to bridge - your left back may have a great attitude or whatever but when it’s all said and done - he’s just not as good as Luke Shaw because he can’t be. Delighted to see him fulfilling his potential, it’s been a long road to get here, but I’d say he’s comfortably the league’s best at the moment.
Amen!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Agreed 100% think he’s finally twigged what kind of LB suits his body type and he’s playing that role really well.

spiriticon

Chippy tits is my POTY. And a proper POTY this time rather than the wanked out one 3 years ago for being the least shit player in a steampile of shit.

Ever since he realised he can cross (actually better than Telles) and take set pieces, he has been unstoppable. Cross after cross, they are all dangerous as hell and if only Maguire or somebody could head them in properly, he'd be on 10 assists and more.

Instead of wondering if ever he'll make it, I'm now starting to think if he's better than Evra. Brilliant.

Last edited:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think I'd vote for him as Utd's POTY this season. Has been absolutely fantastic, and while Fernandes may have great numbers, I think over 90 mins Shaw has been our best player more often (not to say that Fernandes isn't good but Shaw, for me, is the best LB in the world right now)

Without doubt our most improved player.

it’s nice to see defenders being rightly applauded, as they aren’t going to be scoring the goals, and getting assists all the time.

I think I’d struggle to put him above Bruno though.

Tapori

Agreed, but a few wouldn't have hurt. Martial scored a header from a cross against Istanbul

Kaos

Finally looking like the player we'd hope he'd be when we signed him. Should be starting LB for England.

Eternitiy

No surprises, another great performance. Elite athlete/player physically and technically.

Brightonian

Agreed, but a few wouldn't have hurt. Martial scored a header from a cross against Istanbul
Martial barely entered the box all game. They even showed a few clips of it on TV, how whenever Rashford and Shaw were engineering a way through on the left, Martial was either next to or even, a couple of times, behind them. It's not that he can't head the ball, as you say he has occasionally showed that he can. He just doesn't make any effort to be in the right place to do it any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.