Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Smith

If anyone can find any reasonable justification for Trippier starting over Shaw I'd love to hear it. I've been playing devils advocate for Southgate a lot recently, but playing a right back at left back over two natural, in form left backs that most nations would love to have is nonsensical.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
If anyone can find any reasonable justification for Trippier starting over Shaw I'd love to hear it. I've been playing devils advocate for Southgate a lot recently, but playing a right back at left back over two natural, in form left backs that most nations would love to have is nonsensical.
Chilwell must be injured if he isn't in the bench. (And sancho)

McSauce FC

Played well yesterday. Seemed calm and collected, defended well and was good going forward. Missed someone to link up with, like Rashford, as Sterling barely kept wide. Good performance overall.

Southgate got this wrong in many ways.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
One of the better players last night. Got forward and connected well with Mount and Phillips while being defensively sound.

Andersons Dietician

One of the better players last night. Got forward and connected well with Mount and Phillips while being defensively sound.
Have to agree I though he was decent. I almost cried when McT let him wonder in to space and it looks like he was away to bury it with the outside of his foot top bins but instead it was just a terrible cross thankfully.

Would of had to remove myself from the Shaw threads as he’d have been dead to me.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
One of the best players on pitch tonight, maybe his opposite full back can learn a few things, Walker doesn’t like passing forward does he? He kept going back all the time!

Abraxas

Very pleasing to see how consistent he is with those runs forward. In his younger days he had this ability but never the confidence to use it. Now we see it a couple of times a game and usually with success. I think he's been very tidy and no reason to change him.

ti vu

If they go five at the back, then he should be LCB for me with Maguire and Stones at the back, Trippier and Chilwell as wing backs.
No way he's better than Kyle Walker as a choice for 5 at the back, even if it means moving Maguire to LCB. Kyle Walker is not as good as wing back just like Shaw.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His first touch is so good and so underappreciated. Commentators were gushing over Grealish every time he trapped a ball under no pressure. Shaw's touch right on the touchline didn't get the same praise. Always seems to get his pass away when under pressure too. His ball retention doesn't get enough credit.

Mcking

No way he's better than Kyle Walker as a choice for 5 at the back, even if it means moving Maguire to LCB. Kyle Walker is not as good as wing back just like Shaw.
I've seen Walker the center back more than a few times, and I wouldn't have him as one that Shaw could not perform better than.

ti vu

I've seen Walker the center back more than a few times, and I wouldn't have him as one that Shaw could not perform better than.
Walker has been the key for Pep's weird obsession with complicating the tactic. That experience playing against all type of opposition of high level is important where Shaw only has few odd time. One of which was that disastrous game away to Leipzig, where the 5 at the back was picked apart by Leipzig, and Shaw was all over the place, and was one of the main culprit for the first 2 goals. Yes, Shaw just came back from injury at that time, but it was more tactical understanding issue than being rusty.

Ekeke

Walker has been the key for Pep's weird obsession with complicating the tactic. That experience playing against all type of opposition of high level is important where Shaw only has few odd time. One of which was that disastrous game away to Leipzig, where the 5 at the back was picked apart by Leipzig, and Shaw was all over the place, and was one of the main culprit for the first 2 goals. Yes, Shaw just came back from injury at that time, but it was more tactical understanding issue than being rusty.
Pace is always what saves Walker. He makes mistakes and makes up for other people's mistakes because of his pace. Its not understanding

ti vu

Pace is always what saves Walker. He makes mistakes and makes up for other people's mistakes because of his pace. Its not understanding
Shaw is also pacy.

Ability wise, I think Shaw is gaining on Kyle Walker. My point is more about experience. Playing all these years under Pep, Walker is more familiar with different tactics. It's risky to change player role at the NT, even more so during the tournament.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Luke Shaw is the most Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels looking footballer I know of. Fantastic player

GledTheRed

He was decent in both matches but not MOTM in either. Saka and Maguire were better today, and Mings and Pickford best of a bad bunch against Scotland.
Debatable tbh, you've got to get past the pundits / press wanking themselves dry every time a youngster has a decent twenty minutes.

Gilmour and Saka the most recent examples.

Maguire was very good today also.

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

Yes this. His pace is so impressive that it is a genuine top level ability. Whilst he is mistake prone and not the brightest, I do think at times that his attacking contributions (purely for stretching the play and overlaps) is under utilised. It would have been interesting to see Sancho and Walker on the right as that is close to the Dortmund combo with Hakimi, which brought very fruitful results.

Andersons Dietician

Do we class his performance in laying waste to Moutinho a topic for the performance thread. From what I’ve read and the qoutes. Sounds like the Jose abuse was worse than ever thought and Shaw has just laid waste to Jose in a presser.

Top work.

Status
Not open for further replies.