Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Pretty much a write off season for Shaw. He played pretty well a few times but apart from that he’s been off it or out of the team.

One of our best players when fit and in form. My favourite player and can still make an incremental jump forward in terms of goals and assists.

Come back fighting Luke.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
We really need Shaw to find his 20/21 form next season. Heck, his 19/20 form would suffice, it was a lot better then what we've been served from left back this season.

Is it too much to hope that Shawberto's problems this season is related to his leg, and thus hasn't been feeling right? And that next season he's back with a vengeance, fitter, thinner and better than ever?

I think we need him to be, don't think we can afford a new left back, there are other areas on the pitch that are in more dire need of players.

Tavern in the town

Have people given up on him? A lot of people in the Raum thread agree that we’re weak at LB. Personally think Shaw will have a great season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I have high hopes for him under ETH. He’s a player I rate highly. Everyone had a shit season. Blank slate is required. The four players who I see as key to our season in terms of the scope for a massive jump in performance are Shaw, Fernandes, Sancho and Rashford. All a good age, all have shown high levels in the past and all have what it takes to be huge players for us. The fifth player and a bit of a wildcard is Varane. Him staying fit and returning to a high level is also key. He’ll go a long way to determining the success of our season. He’s so much better than any other CB we have.

If we can add De Jong and Eriksen it’ll make a massive difference in how we handle and keep the ball. Not to mention the transitions. After that you are looking at a back up CF/RW, a CB and an RB. If we can get the right sided forward/striker this summer, and then focus on the CB and RB in January/(more likely) next summer, then I think we will be back on track within 18-24 months.

I’ll be really interested to see how Ten Hag plays. He has a history of repurposing players to new roles, and I think we’ll see some surprises. I wouldn’t be shocked to see us play an FDJ, Fernandes, Eriksen midfield, with Fernandes being a hard pressing box to box player. I know this is going to be shot down hard, but I think ETH will spring some surprises in how he uses players. It’s speculation purely.

Whatever happens, Shaw aggressively overlapping on the left past Rashford/Sancho/Eriksen, whoever plays there, will be an important weapon for us.

I do think that both Fernandes and Eriksen will play deeper than we are used to seeing. Especially Fernandes, who was way too advanced the last 18 months. For me, and according to Klopp three years ago, Fernandes is a midfielder who can do almost everything, and has (had) an unbelievable work rate. I think we’ll see that again. People purely seeing him as a ten, but I’d bet a considerable amount that we’ll see him deployed more like an 8 or 8.5 this coming season.

Assessing players for this coming season is more about what they have the potential to do, rather than looking back at what they’ve done before (tactically and specifically). A change of instructions and shape can easily redefine the perceptions and performance of a player.

Last edited:

Tavern in the town

Toss a coin. He's got it in him, but you'd hardly put your mortgage on him. Unfortunately that goes for a lot of our players.
Yeah I can understand that. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given last season was such a collective shit show it’s hard to single anyone out, not to mention he was in and out of the team because of injuries. He was consistently amazing in 20/21, capped off with a brilliant Euros with England.

Red_toad

Erik will get the best out of him. He has the potential to be a beast.
Hopefully he doesn’t come back off his hols rocking the Dad bod look he’s prone to. Big season for him, as if he’s not ultra professional he’ll be moved on, Luke has had many fresh starts at United and was pretty shite last season.

Remember the geese

Yeah I can understand that. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given last season was such a collective shit show it’s hard to single anyone out, not to mention he was in and out of the team because of injuries. He was consistently amazing in 20/21, capped off with a brilliant Euros with England.
Despite all the negativity, I do believe that many of our players severely underperformed last season relative to their 'actual' abilities. Our captain included. I'm open to the possibility that ten Hag will get a lot more out of several of them. Shaw will certainly be given every opportunity to reach the heights he did in 20/21.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of the worst ever post summer tournament seasons from a United player.
Only saving grace being that he was one of a mass of under performers, and spent the last few months injured.

Him being out did at least tell us that Telles isn't the answer, and he should be an occasional filler.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have people given up on him? A lot of people in the Raum thread agree that we’re weak at LB. Personally think Shaw will have a great season.
We have little choice but to be hopeful at this stage. At the very least, he’s one of not too many players that we know actually has the requisite quality. Half of this lot are all effort. Shaw is at least genuinely gifted enough, but has shown himself to be unreliable at this club for too many years.

OrcaFat

Shaw will return. He will kick on, I believe. He’s got at least five top years to give.

Irwin99

Kind of feel he's another that flatters to deceive. I've always found him very unreliable and have never been quite sure if he really has it in him to have a few years of sustained form where he is a top class. He's got it in him, despite one or two issues with positioning and his constant habit of tugging players shirts. His touch is superb.

Also, have never been quite sure about his character. His comments about 'outlasting' Jose and how he's "happy when playing for England" during contract talks leaves me feeling he's a bit sly.

Marwood

This is a long time without football for a guy like Shaw. Let's hope he's kept himself in reasonable shape.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's not Shaw's ability or injuries I have a problem with, its his attitude. I'm just not sure he's got it in him when the chips are down. All that needing to feel loved bollocks last year was concerning too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That thread is full of people saying LB is the position we can worry later, or we shouldn't be spending 1/3rd of the budget on new LB.

He is one of the few players who played at elite level, LB we will sign will be on the bench replacing Telles.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How many good seasons has he had…. He is not reliable at all.

roonster09

Scout
How many? He is not reliable whether thats due to form or fitness.
Fitness I agree. He had niggling injuries in first season, started superbly in second season and then broke his leg.

He won ManUtd player's player of the year twice in last 4 seasons, that's more than anyone bar De Gea (If i'm not wrong).

He was injured and average for half a season in 2019-20 but second half of the season he was very good.

Under Jose he was always benched irrespective of how he played, it was always Young. Shaw played well? Jose was like "Yeah his body my brain, where is my sweet child Ashley Young".

Shaw was playing at high level but last season was just shit. I don't think there is any ManUtd outfield player who played at Shaw's level in last 4 years.

Cassidy

Fitness I agree. He had niggling injuries in first season, started superbly in second season and then broke his leg.

He won ManUtd player's player of the year twice in last 4 seasons, that's more than anyone bar De Gea (If i'm not wrong).

He was injured and average for half a season in 2019-20 but second half of the season he was very good.

Under Jose he was always benched irrespective of how he played, it was always Young. Shaw played well? Jose was like "Yeah his body my brain, where is my sweet child Ashley Young".

Shaw was playing at high level but last season was just shit. I don't think there is any ManUtd outfield player who played at Shaw's level in last 4 years.
And yet he has been inconsistent and unreliable. I mean comparing him to other United player is hardly anything. Im not even saying he should be sold, just pointing out he isn’t a reliable player ( like many in the squad). Given his backup is a disaster then getting in a LB is not a bad idea at all

Skills

Snitch
Hopefully, he'll get back to form this season.

That automatically raises up a level. England also look dreadful without him, because he's such an influential player.

roonster09

Scout
And yet he has been inconsistent and unreliable. I mean comparing him to other United player is hardly anything. Im not even saying he should be sold, just pointing out he isn’t a reliable player ( like many in the squad). Given his backup is a disaster then getting in a LB is not a bad idea at all
Depends on how you define reliable player, fitness wise I wouldn't call him reliable. Performance wise, you have to see why every outfield player is struggling. Did we sign all the duds or did we hire manager who relies more on individuals to get the results than creating a system for players to thrive.

I agree, we need one more LB. The new LB will replace Telles and will be on the bench. Shaw will be first choice LB.

Cassidy

Depends on how you define reliable player, fitness wise I wouldn't call him reliable. Performance wise, you have to see why every outfield player is struggling. Did we sign all the duds or did we hire manager who relies more on individuals to get the results than creating a system for players to thrive.

I agree, we need one more LB. The new LB will replace Telles and will be on the bench. Shaw will be first choice LB.
Reliable means can be relied upon for the season which includes both fitness and consistent form

Rossa

Can you take away fitness when discussing reliable performances? Without fitness, you won’t last the full 90. You will make more mistakes bacause of being tired, and carrying more weight will make you slower and more prone to injuries. We’ve seen all of that with Shaw.

roonster09

Scout
Can you take away fitness when discussing reliable performances? Without fitness, you won’t last the full 90. You will make more mistakes bacause of being tired, and carrying more weight will make you slower and more prone to injuries. We’ve seen all of that with Shaw.
I meant availability, problem is his injuries.

I don't remember him getting subbed or making mistakes because of his fitness. His biggest problem is injuries, few players get better with age (maybe something to do with their eating habits), hopefully Shaw is one of them.

Imo LB is the last position to worry for us, we have bigger holes in other positions.

arthurka

I meant availability, problem is his injuries.

I don't remember him getting subbed or making mistakes because of his fitness. His biggest problem is injuries, few players get better with age (maybe something to do with their eating habits), hopefully Shaw is one of them.

Imo LB is the last position to worry for us, we have bigger holes in other positions.
I don't agree, Shaw has been a problem for 8 years.

roonster09

Scout
So it's acceptable to be good 1/4 of the time you have been here?
So from 8 seasons it became 6 seasons. So Shaw was good only when he won ManUtd players's player of the season?

Irwin99

How many good seasons has he had…. He is not reliable at all.
2. A somewhat generous POTY fan award and decent season in 18/19 and then Ole's second season when he looked fit and was reliable. Injuries are obviously a big factor but I think he's been quite a disappointing player for us overall.

We used to have full backs like Neville, Irwin, and Paddy Evra that could perform consistently AND stay fit season after season. Remarkable that it's been more than ten years since I could look at our full backs and think they were top class :(

Cassidy

2. A somewhat generous POTY fan award and decent season in 18/19 and then Ole's second season when he looked fit and was reliable. Injuries are obviously a big factor but I think he's been quite a disappointing player for us overall.

We used to have full backs like Neville, Irwin, and Paddy Evra that could perform consistently AND stay fit season after season. Remarkable that it's been more than ten years since I could look at our full backs and think they were top class :(
Agree to be honest

arthurka

So from 8 seasons it became 6 seasons. So Shaw was good only when he won ManUtd players's player of the season?
He is one of the problems we have doesn't matter how anyone spins this. Even on many occasions he hasn't even been bothered staying in shape. He is without a doubt talented enough but we don't get that talent in show nearly enough. Half a season here and there isn't good enough.

roonster09

Scout
He is one of the problems we have doesn't matter how anyone spins this. Even on many occasions he hasn't even been bothered staying in shape. He is without a doubt talented enough but we don't get that talent in show nearly enough. Half a season here and there isn't good enough.
Ofcourse we have 11 problem positions, it's all matter of priority.

ThanksBoss26

Can't disagree, obviously with the caveat he started the season of his serious injury very well. I do think there are higher priorities to strengthen given how he can perform at his best but I personally don't look as him as someone who is untouchable and would welcome him getting some decent competition if the right opportunity comes up. Hopefully he rises to that challenge if that's the case but we'll see. But in his eight years here, I don't think he's put anything like two decent seasons together back-to-back and that isn't good enough consistency wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.