Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

Hopefully he will be injury free this season and if that is the case I tip him to be one of our best and cement the LB spot for England.

RedDevil@84

Yet another season with Shaw as main LB. The sorry state of affairs at the club continues.

Rossa

I meant availability, problem is his injuries.

I don't remember him getting subbed or making mistakes because of his fitness. His biggest problem is injuries, few players get better with age (maybe something to do with their eating habits), hopefully Shaw is one of them.

Imo LB is the last position to worry for us, we have bigger holes in other positions.
You only need to look at him to see that he carries too much weight at times. That results in more injuries, fewer overlapping runs, lapse in concentration etc. slower acceleration has been very visible. we’ve seen him struggling with these things quite often. Not many players have as pronounced love handles as Shaw.

LB is still a worry, albeit not our greatest concern.

Based Adnan

It's no surprise his best and most consistent performances came in a season where their was no crowds. Lacks the mentality for a top club.

DevTheRed

If he can get back to top form I think he’ll thrive under Ten Hag.. good enough to start for me. How long he stays in form is always the worry with him, still only 26 (thought he was 28/29) so yet to come into his peak.

RB is definitely more of a concern.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's no surprise his best and most consistent performances came in a season where their was no crowds. Lacks the mentality for a top club.
Played plenty well towards the end of the season where crowds were back too. He was just fit and in great form.

He never came back from the Euros quite the same and clearly didn't get on with Rangnick all that great.

IMO - Shaw is more important to the side than anybody realised. Everything went through him under Ole, he was a playmaker in the LB position. We relied on him progressing the ball so much.

Ever since his form dropped so did the whole team.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
:lol:

If you think Luke Shaw lacks talent, you're seriously wasting your time on football.
Obvs He's talented. But the context of the comment is for a top team.

He's not good enough for a league winning team. Hes at his level currently all the same however I'd expect that he is going to be replaced unless he improves

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Played plenty well towards the end of the season where crowds were back too. He was just fit and in great form.

He never came back from the Euros quite the same and clearly didn't get on with Rangnick all that great.

IMO - Shaw is more important to the side than anybody realised. Everything went through him under Ole, he was a playmaker in the LB position. We relied on him progressing the ball so much.

Ever since his form dropped so did the whole team.
This season many will be changing their opinions on Shaw.

Revaulx

This season many will be changing their opinions on Shaw.
He’s clearly a high-maintenance player. Worth the effort that needs putting into managing him? Probably; LvG thought so, and I reckon EtH will do as well.

He’s one of those that needs both an arm round the shoulder and a regular kick up the arse. Ole could do the former; Jose’s method of doing the latter (saying he had no brain) didn’t help at all.

My main concern is that he’ll keep on having frequent spells of unavailability thanks to niggling injuries. He’s by no means the only player to have perennial fitness/conditioning issues; let’s hope ETH forces the club into improving this side of things for the whole squad.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He’s clearly a high-maintenance player. Worth the effort that needs putting into managing him? Probably; LvG thought so, and I reckon EtH will do as well.

He’s one of those that needs both an arm round the shoulder and a regular kick up the arse. Ole could do the former; Jose’s method of doing the latter (saying he had no brain) didn’t help at all.

My main concern is that he’ll keep on having frequent spells of unavailability thanks to niggling injuries. He’s by no means the only player to have perennial fitness/conditioning issues; let’s hope ETH forces the club into improving this side of things for the whole squad.
I agree, his niggling injuries are a big worry as you can't plan a season with him as clear first choice player. IMO he did very well under Ole except last season.

Hopefully last season was just a blip, like you said first thing ETH and his team should be working on conditioning.

Kostov

Our best full back by a fecking mile. Fit Shaw will be one of the best LBs around, I personally think he will have a great season.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Wouldnt be suprised to see ETH try him as a left sided CB and try bring in a left back. From what i can tell, ETH defenders carry the ball out and Shaw is pretty good at it.

honirelandboy

What's going to happen is he will come back slightly overweight, be absolutely crap for the first 25 to 30 games of the season (including europa, FA Cup and League cup), hit some form then and people will be drooling over him. A player that takes over half a season to get going shouldn't be United's first choice.

I hope ETH runs the absolute crap out of him so he doesn't take over half a season to hit form.

Last edited:

Revaulx

Wouldnt be suprised to see ETH try him as a left sided CB and try bring in a left back. From what i can tell, ETH defenders carry the ball out and Shaw is pretty good at it.
This isn’t an altogether ridiculous idea, especially if we played a back three.

Shaw has always been great at carrying the ball out and getting it past people; it’s his decision making and execution in the final third that lets him down.

Oranges038

Our best full back by a fecking mile. Fit Shaw will be one of the best LBs around, I personally think he will have a great season.
Why?

He's had 1 and half really good seasons in 8. The season before last was peak Shaw, but that should be the standard expected not what we should hope he'll achieve again.

arthurka

Can't believe there are still those who look at him as not being a huge problem. Everything that is wrong with this club in one player.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Can't believe there are still those who look at him as not being a huge problem. Everything that is wrong with this club in one player.
He absolutely is.

Unfortunately, there are 5 or 6 other positions that need to be strengthened first, so upgrading the LB position probably isn't on the agenda for this year.

Teja

Dunno why Rangnick was so against the guy, I still like Shaw a lot.

Only real negative is his fitness and rotating him a bit helps.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
How many good months has he had for us? Maybe 18 good months in about a decade? Or is that generous?

Doesn't want it enough to do it on a consistent basis. Not by a long stretch.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Obvs He's talented. But the context of the comment is for a top team.

He's not good enough for a league winning team. Hes at his level currently all the same however I'd expect that he is going to be replaced unless he improves
Shaw is easily talented enough for a top team. In fact I'd say that, other than Ronaldo, he's the only player in our entire squad whose talent can't be questioned. The guy has always been potentially one of the best in the world in his position, as seen by the one time he really got his shit together and played at his top level for the season he was probably the best in the world (admittedly in a season where his main competitors for that title were a bit off form).

His first touch is brilliant, his passing is great, he normally acts as an extra playmaker (sometimes as our main playmaker) and helps overload the midfield. As somebody else touched on above, I honestly do think that his struggles of form and then injury did play their part in how much we struggled in midfield last season (both in and out of possession). Defensively he's also very solid, other than a tendency to sit off a bit too much and let people get a cross in. When he's really in-form he's also very good at overlapping, and in 20/21 he added the final ball into the box that had always let him down previously. He's fast and also ridiculously strong for a fullback so can physically dominate just about any wide players he comes up against (I still laugh about Adama Traore bouncing off him like he hit a brick wall).

This has to be the season that he either steps back up to that top level, or ultimately shows that it's not going to happen and will need to be replaced. I hope he does, as it will be incredibly difficult to find somebody who is actually better than Shaw at his best. But we certainly can't put up with another season like he just had, and even an average season isn't good enough going forward. But considering his level of talent I do think he's one of the few players we've got who can fit perfectly into how ETH will probably be looking for us to play, and I'm hoping that framework around him will make it more likely we'll see him in top form again.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Dunno why Rangnick was so against the guy, I still like Shaw a lot.
Shaw was injured almost the entire time Rangnick was here. The one time he was fit he was the undisputed #1.

Shaw was just getting over the concussion (after having two in short succession) when Rangnick first came in. When he did come back he got a couple of games then had a one game suspension followed by a hamstring injury. Then he was fit for the month of February and played every match, before missing a couple of games through Covid. He then came back for one match, where he injured his leg and missed the rest of the season.

He was extremely unlucky with illness and injury last season. He was really only fit for the first three months, and then again in February.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Shaw was injured almost the entire time Rangnick was here. The one time he was fit he was the undisputed #1.

Shaw was just getting over the concussion (after having two in short succession) when Rangnick first came in. When he did come back he got a couple of games then had a one game suspension followed by a hamstring injury. Then he was fit for the month of February and played every match, before missing a couple of games through Covid. He then came back for one match, where he injured his leg and missed the rest of the season.

He was extremely unlucky with illness and injury last season his whole United career. He was really only fit for the first three months, and then again in February.
Fixed for you

sixdwarf

Folk have perhaps forgotten how good Luke Shaw is at his best. If Ten Hag can get him firing at the level which saw him start and score for England in the last Euros final, we will have a player on our hands. Here's hoping.

lex talionis

The only issue with Shaw for me is his fitness. No, not the extra pounds he does carry but his overall fitness. We've either run him into the ground or we never see him. Perhaps beyond the scope of this thread but I'd like to see ETH give Brandon Williams a proper chance. Telles is fine in a pinch but really hasn't impressed.

Kaushal

He is our Hector bellerin. Talented as a teenager, broke through early, earning applause and then never became consistent for one reason or another. Up and down all the time, few good months or a season which kept reminding all the fans of his potential so they kept hoping, believing turning that into consistency and is on the verge of being one of the best full backs if he sorts out this issue or that issue.

All of a sudden 8 years gone past but that hope still keeps crawling back before the beginning of every season in the minds of fans that this, this coming season is finally gonna be his where if he’s fit if he’s injury free if he takes care of himself if everything comes together then he’s gonna cement himself as the best lb on the planet as he was promised to be. IF, a two letter word has become so powerful that it has taken away the actuality of his entire time and situation at united.

Arsenal learnt their lesson and snapped back out of that virtual reality where Bellerin was gonna be cafu and came back to their senses when they realised thats never gonna happen and this word if is fecking up with their reasoning whereas we are still firmly planted in that belief and are still waiting for that psychedelic experience which would release all the dopamine and serotonin stored for 8 years when shaw finally lives up to his talent which is indeed next season.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This season might be very pivotal for him.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't his contract end next summer? Can see us letting him go if he fails to impress and conversely malacya does so.

Status
Not open for further replies.