Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm surprised by the level of criticism in here. He was definitely struggling towards the end of the game (he's been injured and barely played for a few months so it's not surprising), but before that I thought he was one of our better players. Still a fair way from his top level but quite decent.

Mainoldo

I'm surprised by the level of criticism in here. He was definitely struggling towards the end of the game (he's been injured and barely played for a few months so it's not surprising), but before that I thought he was one of our better players. Still a fair way from his top level but quite decent.
Maybe because he always struggles at the end of the game. He needs to do a lot better. We need to stop praising average performances.

arthurka

He looks so out of shape it's crazy. He is playing LB for Utd he should be in top form.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
His ability is off the charts and should dominate games. He doesn't nearly enough. He deserves all the criticism.

Ixion

He does look a bit out of shape but who knows, could be one of those that whips his shirt off and has a 6-pack. I think he has one of those body types/shapes that looks stocky. I'm more concerned with his body language, he just seems subdued/disinterested a lot of the time.

acnumber9

No matter how much ability he might have he just isn’t a professional. Carries far too much weight and instead of defending he makes stupid fouls because he can’t be arsed running.

Oranges038

Terrible for the goal today, terrible for the goal on Friday.

He's just lazy at defending, falls asleep or gives away stupid freekicks because he makes stupid decisions.

His corners are also shite.

Andersonson

Fecked up for the goal, but we should still win this. We cant rely on the defenders keeping a clean sheet to win games.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Everything about him just screams a highlights reel Tottenham player you’d see on MOTD every once in a while.

Unreal that he’s been here since 2013 and we still are in an endless debate if he’s good enough or not.

Great first half and could barely move in the second, as usual. Stopped overlapping almost entirely until he got a bit of a second wind in the last 10 minutes. Even then, any time he was upfield he was labouring to get back.

His lack of conditioning has gone on for too long. Made all the worse by the sheer amount of quality, all-action full-backs at other teams in the league.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
My biggest issue with him is how long he holds onto the ball when there’s a pass on, gives teams time to get back into shape.

izec

Time's up IMO. Useless as a squad player, as he needs to play to be half fit. But when he plays, he isnt good enough for the most part.

His fitness levels are shocking. Close the fast food restaurants again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No matter how much ability he might have he just isn’t a professional. Carries far too much weight and instead of defending he makes stupid fouls because he can’t be arsed running.
Yes, for a top player he is really unprofessional. I hate Mourinho, but if there was one player he was right about, it's Shaw. He needs someone next to him pushing him to do stuff, otherwise he will fall asleep.

He also made so many goal mistakes this season he shouldn't really be a starter as long as Telles is fit.

Devil may care

Decent first half but looking right across the line playing Rodriguez on for their goal, frozen like a statue.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I thought he was fantastic in the first half. At fault for their goal though, with Maguire. How many times has that actually happened this season, conceding after those two clowning like there's no tomorrow? A million?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He doesn't seem to be reacting quickly enough to what is going on in the game. Whether it's a ball over the top or a runner he seems to be caught on his heels too often, or else not moving the line up or getting caught up the pitch. Fitness? Some kind of mental burnout? Anxiety with having another struggling player in Maguire on his inside? Whatever it is he looks like he can be got at defensively.

Raven

Is the correct answer. He does have this habit of holding onto the ball too long at times though - seems to think he has far more time on the ball than he actually does.
That's a problem with quite a few of our players I think.

AgentSmith

I agree that he was poor for the goal and faded in the 2nd half generally, but I thought he was great in the first half. His one touch play, passing and ability to progress the ball forward were all very good.

These issues with conditioning remain however. It does seem he’s unable (or lacks the commitment) to maintain a level of fitness that allows him to continuously support the winger ahead of him through overlaps. He did some brilliant runs on the outside of Sancho (and Rashford) in the 1st half but these exertions were probably what shaggged him for the 2nd. His body type doesn’t help but a more committed approach would overcome that I feel; feels very reminiscent of Rooney.

With that in mind, I would actually prefer if we utilised Shaw more in the ‘inverted fullback’ role that Cancelo and TAA have shone in. His best qualities are all with the ball at his feet, while we’re starved of quality in the middle outside of Pogba. Allowing Shaw to step up into the half-space of midfield would take away the physical demands of having to constantly overlap, while increasing his influence on the game through intelligent and quick use of the ball. It would also help provide an overload in midfield that should, theoretically anyways, help Pogba and Bruno find space and time higher up the pitch.

Seems quite a drastic tactical shift to enable a fat bastard not to run but the effectiveness of the 'false fullback' feels pretty overwhelming at this point.

Last edited:

United in sin

Poor for the goal but should retain his place over Telles. He's a bigger attacking threat

Marwood

He doesn't seem to be reacting quickly enough to what is going on in the game. Whether it's a ball over the top or a runner he seems to be caught on his heels too often, or else not moving the line up or getting caught up the pitch. Fitness? Some kind of mental burnout? Anxiety with having another struggling player in Maguire on his inside? Whatever it is he looks like he can be got at defensively.
Sometimes when a player is physically gifted, which he is, they are slow to react because their pace/strength gets them out of trouble. You see it quite a lot.

He nearly got to Rodriguez in time which is some distance he quickly covered.

Even attacking he's slow to react in support. You can see his overlaps coming a mile off because he's 40 yards back before he starts to make his run. Credit to his oddly fast body because he does eventually get there just in time.

He's just too casual in how he plays and how he prepares himself. Part gets away with it because he is very gifted. If he had Gary Neville's temperamemt, what a player he'd be.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Sometimes when a player is physically gifted, which he is, they are slow to react because their pace/strength gets them out of trouble. You see it quite a lot.

He nearly got to Rodriguez in time which is some distance he quickly covered.

Even attacking he's slow to react in support. You can see his overlaps coming a mile off because he's 40 yards back before he starts to make his run. Credit to his oddly fast body because he does eventually get there just in time.

He's just too casual in how he plays and how he prepares himself. Part gets away with it because he is very gifted. If he had Gary Neville's temperamemt, what a player he'd be.
At the Boro game my mate and I were screaming at Shaw at a particular moment when he made a pass in front of him then stopped dead, while the recipient of the pass (might have been Sancho or Bruno further up on the left hand side) struggled to bypass two opposition players. It's like his head isn't in the game and won't take him to where he needs to be during a given moment/situation in a match. It's infuriating to witness given we know what a great player he can be at both ends of the pitch.

Gums

My biggest issue with him is how long he holds onto the ball when there’s a pass on, gives teams time to get back into shape.
Yes, I also can‘t stand the amount of time he takes for a throw on. He seems to be missing urgency all over the pitch. Also waits for most balls to arrive instead of taking a step or three towards them. I‘ve noticed, not few of the fouls he commits happen because his general anticipation isn‘t all that good. It‘s that fraction of a second that fails him. His extra body weight/size/shape isn‘t helping, but I don‘t see enough awareness in general. Just like for the Burnley‘s goal against us, he sometimes seems to be drifting around in space, not quite aware of the situations.

Ending on a positive note, I really like him when he actively carries the ball and shows that he can pick up speed if he wants to.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Watching him is like the TV is playing at x0.75 speed.

eeeeeeeeveyyyyyythiiiiiiiingg is sooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooow.
Yeah our defense is basically:

Trailer park speed left sided play by the two Chuckle brothers Shaw and Maguire
Right side is basically seeing how much time Dalot needs to shape his body like Beckham before playing a square pass to Varane.

el3mel

One good season out of what, 5 years ? Then back to being shit the next season immediately.

Roboc7

At his best, when fully fit and when he’s confident he’s a good player on his day and even for short spells but can’t rely on him week in week out. He basically defines the new Utd way and DNA because he’ll make a long, highly paid career out of that.

Oranges038

One good season out of what, 5 years ? Then back to being shit the next season immediately.
This is his 8th. He's had 1 good one.

Playing everyone onside again. The absolute state of that diagonal backline for the goal.

el3mel

This is his 8th. He's had 1 good one.

Playing everyone onside again. The absolute state of that diagonal backline for the goal.
8th season ? 8 fecking season and only one good one out of them. I can't believe this. Absolute travesty.

Abraxas

I thought he was pretty lethargic today. I wonder if the old fitness issues aren't creeping back in after a couple of games in succession. Shouldn't be but today was strange in how lacking any forward momentum he seemed to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.