Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Hardly surprising cos Sanch touches the ball about 10 times in a single possession before losing it pointlessly.
Yeah, but he was also less involved than others too. I bet he made more touches in the last 10-15 minutes than he did entire game before that.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Luke Shaw was usually one of our playmakers this season, and he was nowhere to be seen today. Where am I blaming him for defensive part of his game?
He needs runners ahead of him and Sancho was constantly drifting inside, as was Bruno, leaving neither a ball behind the defense nor cross field passes as an option. Perhaps you should pay more attention to what's happening on the pitch before commenting.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Not a huge fan of him at LB, he's quality on the ball and composed but really nowhere near the best LB in the world. Not anywhere near dynamic enough for that.

Not a huge problem though, would like him to be our 2nd LCB.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, but he was also less involved than others too. I bet he made more touches in the last 10-15 minutes than he did entire game before that.
Well yeah, because we were pushing for an equaliser and they were dropping off.

We were hardly going to dominate the ball before that, so to expect Shaw to run things isn't really fair. Whenever he was on the ball he was very good, and he was great defensively... Bernado wasn't in the game at all

slored1

Not a huge fan of him at LB, he's quality on the ball and composed but really nowhere near the best LB in the world. Not anywhere near dynamic enough for that.

That is just because of our buildup shape. If you watch closely, you can see Shaw tucks in more often than not and AWB goes forward. Would probably be much more involved with better midfielders around him, this way we need him back to protect counters and secure the ball.

sammyhol

He was targeted today. Pep clearly knew that he was the one defender who could split their lines today, so the doubled up on him, and had Bernardo hugging the touch line so he couldn’t carry the ball forwards either.

BorisManUtd

I think he's more CB than LB these days.
Will turn 28 in summer, can see Shaw playing at LB for another few years before becoming a CB like Alaba. We have Martinez so Shaw won't be playing in that position too often next season.

Cela shomana

He didn't get involved that much til 83 minutes, but he was solid defensively which makes me suspect it was tactics thing because he is often get caught out of position in big games because of his desire to get involved in build-ups in those kind of games. I think he had an ok game today

OrcaFat

Ah, we’ll have disagree. For me he is one of the best left backs in the world.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He needs runners ahead of him and Sancho was constantly drifting inside, as was Bruno, leaving neither a ball behind the defense nor cross field passes as an option. Perhaps you should pay more attention to what's happening on the pitch before commenting.
I paid attention, I am talking about Shaw and not Bruno and Sancho. If you want to talk about other players Wan Bissaka was better than him posession wise(and defensively great) which says a lot.

Rossa

Kind of a agree with this. He's fast enough, strong enough, but he lacks dynamism. He can, from time to time show energy, but overall, he is too lackadaisical in his approach.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Just back from reading Wan Bissaka's thread, and lot of people are criticising him for his attacking play. Which would be fair if people actually criticised Shaw for the same because, unlike Shaw, Bissaka actually showed some attacking drive today. But apparently I am the one with agenda?

I know Shaw's been getting easy pass here for years, but today is another good example of that.

Anyway, hopefully he continues his good form next year, and improves on his big game performances.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I paid attention, I am talking about Shaw and not Bruno and Sancho. If you want to talk about other players Wan Bissaka was better than him posession wise(and defensively great) which says a lot.
How can you talk about him not playing progressive passes when there is no one in a decent enough position to play those passes to? Today the game was condensed in the middle of the park. Even City didn't use Grealish and Bernardo out wide as much as they like to, partly because they got no change out of AWB and Shaw respectively.

Both teams tried to play through the middle for the most part so wonder Shaw didn't get enough opportunities to dictate play like he usually does from deep.

Irwin99

Just back from reading Wan Bissaka's thread, and lot of people are criticising him for his attacking play. Which would be fair if people actually criticised Shaw for the same because, unlike Shaw, Bissaka actually showed some attacking drive today. But apparently I am the one with agenda?

I know Shaw's been getting easy pass here for years, but today is another good example of that.

Anyway, hopefully he continues his good form next year, and improves on his big game performances.
I've been massively critical of Shaw in the past but technically he's far more what you want from a full-back than AWB. I don't think today was his best game-he wasn't bad either- but he linked up pretty well with Garnacho and put in one or two crosses that were dangerous towards the final stages.

AWB had a far more energetic and aggressive performance today but his limitations were on display from the get go as well. Even the commentary team were picking up on his positional play and there was an instance where the simplest pass would have put Bruno through but he didn't play it.

Personally I feel if Luke can put in another season like this one and do it consistently then we're really set on the left back position. If Dalot or AWB put in another season like this next year then i still think we can go up a level.

Dominos

Don't think he was bad but it was a very strange game for him to be involved so little compared to what you would usually expect. Possible he was told not to go forward as we didn't want to leave ourselves exposed when we lose the ball. Also possible City pushed us to build up play on our right side as they know AWB won't ever do anything useful on the ball.

Oranges038

Thought he looked slow and off the pace for most of the game. Only really came into it late and by then it was pretty much done.

Overall, not his best game but definitely not his worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.