Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

At his best he's very, very good. But I don't know how you can rely on a player that might decide to stop taking his job as seriously and put on 10 pounds and slag off. This shouldn't be a fecking cycle of "oh time to buy some more competition for Luke so he concentrates and can lose weight again!".

He's a better footballer than Malacia, but doesn't have the same engine and is not even close to as competent on his weaker foot as TM (which is a big deal in an ETH team). Honestly I think it would be a shrewd move if he regains his form to sell him on for a nice fee and bring another LB in, but we aren't a shrewd club and he'll probably be here as long as he wishes no matter what.

Smores

At his best he's very, very good. But I don't know how you can rely on a player that might decide to stop taking his job as seriously and put on 10 pounds and slag off. This shouldn't be a fecking cycle of "oh time to buy some more competition for Luke so he concentrates and can lose weight again!".

He's a better footballer than Malacia, but doesn't have the same engine and is not even close to as competent on his weaker foot as TM (which is a big deal in an ETH team). Honestly I think it would be a shrewd move if he regains his form to sell him on for a nice fee and bring another LB in, but we aren't a shrewd club and he'll probably be here as long as he wishes no matter what.
Indeed better a consistent 6/10 player than one who swings between 4 and 8 frequently.

Same issue as Liverpool have with Trent except Shaw isn't anywhere near as good offensively. You cant carry players who don't have the lungs, concentration of will to do all aspects of their role consistently.

criticalanalysis

Cheeky bet to have him start against City? LVG's decision to play Malacia as a third CB, a premonition of maybe how we'll line up?

Varane Martinez Malacia

Dalot, McTominay, Eriksen, Bruno, Shaw

Sancho and Rashford

Or maybe Casimiro will finally start. Varane to mark Haaland, Casimiro to cut everything in front, with Martinez picking up second balls etc.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There does seem to be an anti-English/British sentiment in my opinion. The likes of Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Rashford and McTominay (Scottish, I know) have taken dogs abuse and called all sorts of names over the last two seasons, whilst very poor/non-existent performers like Eric Bailly, Anthony Martial, Donny van de Beek, Fred and Diogo Dalot seem to enjoy large pockets of support and are generally seen in a favourable light and/or portrayed as having being treated unfairly.
Martial has got far more abuse than Rashford over the last few years, and indeed over their careers as a whole despite their overall performances at the club being very similar. That's settled down right at the moment because of his promising start in pre-season and the hope that he'll be the striker we need under ETH once he gets fit, but if he doesn't come back strong you can expect that to start back up again.

Up until last season Fred got far more abuse than McTominay despite generally having better performances for most of that time. Indeed Fred was one of the most overly criticised players in the squad while Scott was somewhat of a media darling (both actual media and social media) who got away with things that other players, like Fred himself, would have been crucified for. That did start to swing around last season though with Fred getting more favourable comments and Scott starting to get more criticism, but I'd say that only happened because Scott was terrible in the second half of the season while Fred was one of our better players. It's only taken a few good games from Scott for that to quickly turn around though.

I'd say Dalot has had more criticism than he deserves considering his lack of actual gametime. The second half of last season was the first time he's actually had a proper run of games and people tend to forget he started that period fairly well before obviously falling away badly later on (at a time that the entire team was falling apart).

VDB and Bailly I'd agree get favourable treatment.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Cheeky bet to have him start against City? LVG's decision to play Malacia as a third CB, a premonition of maybe how we'll line up?

Varane Martinez Malacia

Sancho and Rashford

Or maybe Casimiro will finally start. Varane to mark Haaland, Casimiro to cut everything in front, with Martinez picking up second balls etc.
Zero chance of that lineup. Even if it were to be a back three it would be Shaw in there, but we won’t.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Varane Martinez Malacia

Sancho and Rashford

We've been defensively solid for the last few games in the system we've been playing, why change that? The only thing up for debate is Casemiro or McTominay.

criticalanalysis

Zero chance of that lineup. Even if it were to be a back three it would be Shaw in there, but we won’t.
We've been defensively solid for the last few games in the system we've been playing, why change that? The only thing up for debate is Casemiro or McTominay.
I posted it, so if it does happen I can refer back to it as a 'great' guess ;)

It's definitely a bit left field but I don't think it's that far fetched. Personally I'd want more Casemiro to start with McTominay along with Eriksen and Bruno but we'll see come Sunday.

Greck

Yup, happens over and over again with Shaw. If he could fix that weakness he'd be very good.
Can only guess but I think it's his concentration that has made him fall out of the team because on paper he should have the technical talent. It's not like AWB who was never part of the plan, from preseason lineups it seemed he was supposed to play with the true XI then just lost his place. I don't know really know what it is managers don't like about Shaw, his byline deliveries and cutbacks can be inconsistent but his ballcarrying, short passing and progressive passing should have compensated for that.

Oh yeah and the victimhood in the thread is straight garbage. This is now 3 managers who have iced him. He also plays in a position managers tend to have distinct preferences. If there was ever a thread where divisiveness was justified. At least other player fanbases wait for their guys to actually play well to shitepost doubters as haters.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How to get Shaw back to his all time best :
1. Pay Jose to talk shit about him during an interview
2. Play Shaw in the next several matches
3. Done

Once Shaw decides to talk back, repeat step no 1 to keep him on fire. If Lukaku can pay for Jose to star in his music video, why cant we?

Grande

Can only guess but I think it's his concentration that has made him fall out of the team because on paper he should have the technical talent. It's not like AWB who was never part of the plan, from preseason lineups it seemed he was supposed to play with the true XI then just lost his place. I don't know really know what it is managers don't like about Shaw, his byline deliveries and cutbacks can be inconsistent but his ballcarrying, short passing and progressive passing should have compensated for that.

Oh yeah and the victimhood in the thread is straight garbage. This is now 3 managers who have iced him. He also plays in a position managers tend to have distinct preferences. If there was ever a thread where divisiveness was justified. At least other player fanbases wait for their guys to actually play well to shitepost doubters as haters.
I don’t think ‘doubting’ is the problem for many, certainly not for me, more that some people retroactively change his history to never having been up to much, or having one good season etc.

He has always been frustration lurking, prtly because he at a normal trot is a very good player, and that trot has come and gone in a way more auspicious than with many. (To be honest, almost all full backs have ups and downs over years). To me, tjere is such a divide between his strengths (technical control, step, passing ability, strength, burst of pace, loyalty) and his weaknesses (proactive drive, positional sense, tactical acumen) that he will vary from great to liability depending on wether he is followed up closely and helped to understand his tactical and positional tasks thoroughly. Mourinho wanted players to reflect and problem-solve of their own accord, so Shaw drove him mad. Van Gaal teaspooned players tactics, so he looked good early on. Solskjær tailored tactics to his players and made a clear defensive structure, while following him close yet giving him competition, so we saw the best Shaw under him. Southgate has a very predictable defensive set up, good for Shaw once he sussed it. When Solskjær tried to change for a more high pressing style, Shaw imediately struggled. New coach, new tactics, probably can make him look clueless over night. I think his determination has improved with age and maturity, but Ten Hag coming in, I’d expect him to need time to adapt. He’ll never be Daley Blind for proactiveness, but I expect him to be very useful under Ten Hag given time and competition (Malacia). It also depends on Malacia’s development, of courae, because he has in abundance what Shaw lacks.

OrcaFat

If Shaw can hit his best form again that would be great for us. The question, as always, is if he can actually do it, and if so for how long can he maintain it?
I’m the first to admit this question mark and Shaw is my favourite player.

I think his demonstrated top level is high and his potential ceiling quite a bit higher. He has bags of technique and physical ability, and he is exciting to watch, very penetrative.

I’ve never claimed he is consistent, because he plainly isn’t. But he could become consistent - many players do as they go into their late twenties. There’s a section of posters on here who just want to bin him and nothing he can do will change their minds; apparently he has “had enough chances”.

vangagal

I’m the first to admit this question mark and Shaw is my favourite player.

I think his demonstrated top level is high and his potential ceiling quite a bit higher. He has bags of technique and physical ability, and he is exciting to watch, very penetrative.

I’ve never claimed he is consistent, because he plainly isn’t. But he could become consistent - many players do as they go into their late twenties. There’s a section of posters on here who just want to bin him and nothing he can do will change their minds; apparently he has “had enough chances”.
Because he had enough chances in 8 years. And all of excuses in the world along within that time frame. I think many just had enough with him.

hart

Mourinho on Shaw "He had a good game, but it was his body, with my brain , because he was in front of me and i was making every decision for him, when to open , when to close in , when to move up, etc. We need his fantastic body, his fantastic physics qualities and very good technical quality but he cannot play with my understanding of the game, he must understand the game.
Mourinho on Luke Shaw: 'Every time they went in his corridor the cross was coming and the dangerous situation was coming."

I think this summed up what managers think about him , regular fans couldn't see all those things but football manager with their football knowledge can analyze what and how shaw is playing especially when he doesn't have the ball, especially when the opponents has it.

OrcaFat

Because he had enough chances in 8 years. And all of excuses in the world along within that time frame. I think many just had enough with him.
Yeah that’s exactly how some feel and I see it posted on here a lot. Never mind though, eh.

Greck

To be fair there isn't a player who hasn't sucked for most of their time here. That doesn't really bother. If that's the criteria 99% are done, a whopping 2% too high. I'm more concerned with his regressing a not so literal 2 minutes into a clean slate. ETH already told them to be ready for the toughest preseason of their lives and it looked like he didn't take it serious. The biggest challenge isn't just that he lost his place, he also lost favour which is hard to come back from, triple difficult when the manager's new signing plays your position and maybe even plays his instructions better. Shaw makes a sport of shooting himself. How are you going to let yourself walk into this situation again? He absolutely deserves the flack because on paper he has all the tangibles.

Irwin99

Some good attacking plays, ditsy defensive moments, might have steeped up quicker for the last goal where he played Foden onside. Typical Shaw really.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hope to see more of him. We struggle to pass the ball or develop any play as it is, we could use all the players who are comfortable on the ball as we can get.

Thiagoal

Looks slimmer and fitter than he did at the start of the season- hopefully the start of a good run of form

CM

As long as Shaw applies himself that spot should be his to lose. Malacia has the intensity Shaw sometimes lacks but got roasted by Saka against Arsenal and got badly exposed again today. I think ten Hag probably realises it too.

Chief123

He's miles better on the ball compared to any of our other full backs
Not sure I agree. Definitely not miles better. Malacia is very comfortable on the ball.

Shaw came on when the game was finished. Had licence to attack without any worry about defending.

Dominos

He has a terrible habit of playing people onside doesn't he?

Pretty good other than that.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He does have more in his locker than Malacia, even his biggest haters must admit it but agreed with the posts on his positioning, he's terrible at keeping players offside.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
"Shaw is keeping them onside" Swear I hear this every time he plays

Bondi77

Mourinho on Shaw "He had a good game, but it was his body, with my brain , because he was in front of me and i was making every decision for him, when to open , when to close in , when to move up, etc. We need his fantastic body, his fantastic physics qualities and very good technical quality but he cannot play with my understanding of the game, he must understand the game.
Mourinho on Luke Shaw: 'Every time they went in his corridor the cross was coming and the dangerous situation was coming."

I think this summed up what managers think about him , regular fans couldn't see all those things but football manager with their football knowledge can analyze what and how shaw is playing especially when he doesn't have the ball, especially when the opponents has it.
Mourinho is a vindictive cnut and he had it in for Luke because he knocked him back when he was at Chelski.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really like it when Shaw is a good footballer.

We all know he has it in him, and now I think he's going to get a chance to hopefully show it.

DutchCruijff

Bring him back into the side. He was one of the best LBs in the world in 2021. Rehabilitation over.

Malacia has been poor the past few matches.

Dominos

Think he should come back into the side.

Though the free kick he gave away at the end is so infuriating. Why do quick players feel the need to constantly dive in? He picks up a needless booking so often through refusing to match the run and diving in needlessly.

PoTMS

Yep, he's back to being good again. He just blows hot and cold - except instead of the odd game, it's entire seasons where he's shite.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Might be winning his place back gradually. I like the competition for places and really don't mind as long as the one in form is starting at lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.