Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reiver

He was good today

Even the most motivated players probably benefit from competition and knowing they are not a certain starter. Shaw definitely needs it.

Chief123

His performance today was a Shaw who looks fit, trim and sharp. It’s clear he’s been working on his fitness which is having an impact on his desire to run up and down.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
MOTM for me. We all know his top level is sensational. Hope Malacia being here will keep him at it.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was excellent. He might have the best technique in the squad.

Having him tuck into midfield more and more during build-up phases might fully unlock him.

AFC NimbleThumb

Boils my piss that his poor games are genuinely down to a lack of effort. The way he charged back in the second half is what we should be seeing every single week. The talent is there, which we know.
This is the feeling I had, think it was Gray or Iwobi but at one point in the second half you saw him chose to turn on the afterburners against them to calmly lay the ball back to Martinez.

I have absolutely no confidence this purple patch will be much different to the others though. After nearly a decade, I’m done.

criticalanalysis

Is your definition of contributing in attack just whipping crosses in or making overlapping runs? If so then yes he didn't do that. But he was very much involved in our build up play in a way that Malacia doesn't have the ability to be. Shaw can actually dictate play from deep, a very rare ability in a FB.
That's not true. Malacia was quietly involved in our buildup play in all the games he started; his composure on the ball (mid-week notwithstanding) is underrated and a big part of why we weren't shitting the bed playing it out from the back. He had a decent partnership thing going on with Martinez. I think he's probably in bit of a lull at the moment but the rest/rotation will be good for him. He's not as dynamic as Shaw but there aren't many fullbacks as physically gifted to be fair. He can definitely improve going forward though.

croadyman

His performance today was a Shaw who looks fit, trim and sharp. It’s clear he’s been working on his fitness which is having an impact on his desire to run up and down.
Yeah without doubt best shape he has been is in since the leg break, staying like that will allow him to track back quicker.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There was a point around 70 minutes where he took a long ball out of the air, running, in stride to pull it in-field past his man. No one else in this squad can do that so easily.

It's infuriating that he's not one of the best players in the world. His natural talent is off the charts. If we can somehow keep him focussed, he remains - potentially - the best LB in the league.

Big if.

Golden Nugget

Brilliant, he was a different player and played with a lot of intensity. Hope he can keep this up as his talent was always there

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Thought Shaw had a quality game. Made quite a few recoveries, solid defensively. Be interesting though to see where a lot of these players heads are at, we all know there’s a World Cup coming up so player performances will rise, will they go back to being awful once the world cups over.

The United

His issue is never talent. Just motivation or concentration.

We used to have a few of those players in the squad and still have some.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Getting benched has helped his focus and desire to fight for his place. He's got a fantastic turn of pace and his understanding and overlapping with Rashford were very good. Most importantly, he defended with intensity and had none of his usual lapses in concentration.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm not Shaw's biggest fan, probably never will be, however it would be pure agenda for me not to say he was good last night. I was relieved to see it too. Something like the Luke Shaw of 2020-21. Long may it continue.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That was Shaw at his best, when he's fit and determined he's some player.

Fantastic technique mixed with speed and strength. Some of the recovery runs he made were great to see as he's been lacking in that deparment recently.

The strong competition from Malacia is clearly working.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Looked really good yesterday. I like Malacia and his passion, but being real, an in form Shaw is one of the best full backs in the league. Hope we see him carry this form over to Newcastle.

aeh1991

Definitely prefer to have two quality LBs fighting for one position over having a young, occasionally sloppy LB and a lazy backup. Credits to Luke for finding his form again.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
That was Shaw at his best, when he's fit and determined he's some player.

Fantastic technique mixed with speed and strength. Some of the recovery runs he made were great to see as he's been lacking in that deparment recently.

The strong competition from Malacia is clearly working.
Yes, often he can't be arsed and just take the yellow card and be done with it. I can't understand why, he takes most wingers for pure speed, not to mention strength.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes, often he can't be arsed and just take the yellow card and be done with it. I can't understand why, he takes most wingers for pure speed, not to mention strength.
Think it's been mainly a stamina issue. Perhaps he's been playing with muscle tightness too and can't quite open up the tap fully.

No coincidence that he 'looks' fitter and is putting better effort right?. The other thing is Shaw was struggling with that plate in his leg, I think we have to take that into consideration. Since he had his operation and has clearly had an extended pre season he's look a lot better again.

I do think our squad has seriously suffered with a lack of competiton and more importantly strict professionalism.

mu4c_20le

He's a beast and almost impossible to knock off the ball. When he's fit and on form, one of the best LBs in the league.

Real Name

Man of the match. It was obvious ETH instructs his fullback to be much more near the center than by the byline and in parts he played like he was a winger.

TempusFugit

Amazing combination of strength, speed and technique, my Motm today. He needs to keep it up, when on form he's a top player. Some of the passes he was pulling off today from deep were really impressive.

criticalanalysis

Decent game. Still think he can do more.

I understand he's playing to instructions in keeping compact infield but he had quite a few chances to run at the right back/wing in the second half yet kept coming inside. Played within himself.

Felt there was one or two times he was positionally suspect (as usual) and let players give easy crosses or run past him. Martinez being on his side helps him massively, as has Maguire in the past i.e in terms of closing the channel and giving support defence.

Based Adnan

Will look good until his place is fully cemented over Malacia and then we all know what will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.