Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Captain material. It’s good to see so many leaders emerge under ETH. Great coaching unlocking their potential
Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro and Fernandes ... this time last season I was worried we didn't have a single leader at all!

knut

It's extremely pleasing to see the performances Shaw is putting in these days. He has a great combination of physical and technical traits which make him a great asset and one of our very best players. I agree with those who are saying he has been great for at least three out of the four last seasons. I prefer him at leftback though, even if he is amazing in central defense. The reason is that, as good as Malacia can be, Shaw offers a physical presence in our box. This prevents opposition forwards from targeting our fullbacks on dead balls or crosses, because Shaw can deal with those far better than Malacia can. Also, Martinez' passing is a lot better than Malacia's, so it is for the best if both Martinez and Shaw are in the side at the same time. Having the option of playing like we did yesterday is great though, because different options for how to play leaves us less vulnerable to injuries and more capable of dealing with potential fatigue.

What I think used to hold Shaw back at times, apart from injuries, was his propencity for turning off at moments in the game (explaining why some players have outmuscled or outrun him at times, when such occurences seem unnecessary). This season though, he has been switched on at almost all times. Perhaps Shaw is a player who benefits a lot from the disciplining influence of Ten Hag? To me, he seems like the kind of character who is less able to discipline himself (re: the rumours about his diet and staying up all night with his mates). Also, the improved defensive structure Ten Hag has managed to develop in the team, helps Shaw with this. Of course, Shaw also contributes towards it.

Reactions: Invictus

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I’m not surprised at all that Shaw is a great at CB, he’s such a classy, well-rounded player. But I definitely miss his playmaking from LB.
I'm just stating the obvious. Being a good CB is not just about physicality or good passer. Positioning, man-marking, full concentration, decision-making. I mean, watching him almost daily, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole, and Moyes never thought he's good enough as CB. The closest he got was in back 3 in few games. So, I'm wondering of why people think they know better and "not surprised" of how good Shaw as CB.

It's a big credit to EtH to make this happen.

Last edited:

Cantonalegod

Mourinho's hammering of Shaw was both unnecessary and totally wrong.

He can't be that great of a manager if he didn't realise what a player he had, no matter what he has won.

Probably put Shaw's career back two years on his own.

I liked Mourinho, but hated the way he treated Shaw, who has always been one of my favourite Utd players since he joined the club

Finally got a proper coach in place, discipline yes, but great man management as well.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm just stating the obvious. Being a good CB is not just about physicality or good passer. Positioning, man-marking, full concentration, decision-making. I mean, watching him almost daily, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole, and Moyes never thought he's good enough as CB. The closest he got was in back 3 in few games. So, I'm wondering of why people think they know better and "not surprised" of how good Shaw as CB.

I’d say that people overestimate the difficulty in playing different roles and fullbacks are often the most multi-talented players in the team, with many examples of fullbacks shifting to roles in centre mid and centre back for big chunks of their careers and excelling.

Of course it’s not easy, not just any player can do it, and it doesn’t rely on just a couple of a couple of qualities. But Shaw being one of those players just isn’t that surprising from my perspective. I’m a big fan.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mourinho was right, but he was idiot to say that public.
ETH managment 10/10
He clearly was very wrong though, kinda funny.

Shaw has been proving that ever since.

RuudTom83

His current form could be as good as it gets, is this his ceiling? wonderful to watch and long may it continue.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's just brilliant, he's embarrassed Maguire, and probably has Martinez wondering when he'll get in again, if we were stacked at LB then I'd be all for keeping him at CB, but we're not, and we need him back there soon, and certainly for the Arsenal game.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Moyes never managed shaw?

The United

One thing I must say is though how some fans ridiculed VG for wanting to sign a left footed CB for better passing from the back.

And everyone is doing that now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At his best I think he could play for any team on the planet. One of those players who make the game look easy.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We have been really blessed with top class Left Backs over the last 30 years

Three who I'd say were one of the best in the world in that position

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

He can't be that great of a manager if he didn't realise what a player he had, no matter what he has won.

I liked Mourinho, but hated the way he treated Shaw, who has always been one of my favourite Utd players since he joined the club

Finally got a proper coach in place, discipline yes, but great man management as well.
It’s a Mourinho thing. He always has someone he’s out for in the teams he managed and would shit on them to make himself look right.

Joe Cole and KDB suffered similarly under him.

romufc

What a player, everyone who still think Shaw is rubbish need to check themselves.

A LB who isnt 6ft playing CB against one of the best teams in the world is not easy. To keep Haaland and co quiet too is absolutely brilliant.

It just shows the quality of the player however; we need him at LB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We have been really blessed with top class Left Backs over the last 30 years

Three who I'd say were one of the best in the world in that position
Irwin Evra Shaw is certainly a very tidy list.

Not forgetting Buttner of course :drool:

Shai-Hulud

It's pretty amazing that, with Lisandro having barely played since the WC, we've not looked short of quality in defense at all. Credit to Shaw. And to EtH.

poleglass red

good on him, he has frustrated me in the past, but this season he has been excellent. I like the way ETH can drop players and they don't huff but instead go away and obvioulsy work on their games. Shaw was dropped earlier in the season, and even AWB recently has looked good also. Fred doesn't start every game but shows up when needed. Obviously there is a good morale among the squad

danamann

Can’t forgive him for being out of shape physically for most of his time here. This is the least you can do as a professional footballer. It’s the second time now he suddenly starts to work harder when he wants a new contract, you can literally see how much leaner he is now. There is simply no excuse for that. Wouldn’t be surprised if he reverts to this bang average form we are all used to. Has to show a lot more for a lot longer for me to change my mind about him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I think he also said Shaw is a leader, something like that. What a turnaround, both for the player and the club with good manager. Gone are the days of "his body, my brain" bs and also the clueless style of football where players had no idea what to do on and off the ball.

We have clear system and most of the players are playing well, few of them even stepping up as leaders. Shaw's performance as CB is just brilliant.

Bojan Djordjic

I think he also said Shaw is a leader, something like that. What a turnaround, both for the player and the club with good manager. Gone are the days of "his body, my brain" bs and also the clueless style of football where players had no idea what to do on and off the ball.

We have clear system and most of the players are playing well, few of them even stepping up as leaders. Shaw's performance as CB is just brilliant.
Shaw is a typical example of how a "brainless" player can suddenly look like their game IQ has massively improved once there is a decent manager in place. For years it looked like we had a team of dunces but then we get a manager that brings in a system so that players know where they are supposed to be in any given phase of play and suddenly they can make better decisions and can make them much quicker.

I really feel like this season EtH's sole aim is to improve our team defence (which he has done massively) and that next year we will see corresponding improvements to our attacking phases of play.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Shaw is a typical example of how a "brainless" player can suddenly look like their game IQ has massively improved once there is a decent manager in place. For years it looked like we had a team of dunces but then we get a manager that brings in a system so that players know where they are supposed to be in any given phase of play and suddenly they can make better decisions and can make them much quicker.

I really feel like this season EtH's sole aim is to improve our team defence (which he has done massively) and that next year we will see corresponding improvements to our attacking phases of play.
I think it also helps a lot to have organisers in the team. Shaw was quick to point out Varane’s guidance on and off the pitch made his job a lot easier, and I’m sure the same is true of Casemiro. You need people on the pitch to carry out the managers’ instructions on the pitch too, and they need to be respected for the rest of the players to follow. Often it seemed like there was no player on the pitch that people respected more than themselves in recent years.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Of course it was wrong, Mourinho was always flexing on how smart he is, it was always about him.

spiriticon

Shaw was always fairly decent at CB. In fact, one of the go to tactics to kick him back into form was to play him at LCB in back three.

lex talionis

Shaw has been magnificent at CB but we lose too much in the final third when he's not playing LB.

Skills

Snitch
I honestly think if you played him there, he'd be the genuine back up to Casemiro too. I think he'd take a couple of games to figure it out, but he's got the technical skillset and understanding to play the role.

Crystal Palace 1:1 Man Utd

Bwuk

I honestly think if you played him there, he'd be the genuine back up to Casemiro too. I think he'd take a couple of games to figure it out, but he's got the technical skillset and understanding to play the role.
Came in this thread to post this.

It won’t happen but with Casemiro out against Arsenal I’d start Shaw at CDM. We could keep the midfield similar to the city game.

Fred can follow Odegaard around. Let Shaw sit and Eriksen can be the creator.

jem

Came in this thread to post this.

It won’t happen but with Casemiro out against Arsenal I’d start Shaw at CDM. We could keep the midfield similar to the city game.

Fred can follow Odegaard around. Let Shaw sit and Eriksen can be the creator.
would it not make more sense to play Shaw at CB and give Martinez a go at CDM - I say that only because I recall hearing that Martinez has played there before.

Oranges038

He's been top class lately.

I've been critical of his performances and his general play in the past, he should be hitting his peak now and he needs to keep putting in these performances.

BerryBerryShrew

Awful today. Even Lindelof has never looked as passive as Shaw was against Saka all game. Should have been hooked for Malacia at HT.

Bobski

Toughest game for him in a long time, which speaks volumes for Saka.

Status
Not open for further replies.