Luke Shaw | Deal done! Almost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We'd probably have three of England's four starting back four for the next decade.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
sounds a good transfer to make, not many 18year olds are regulars in top 10 teams in the Premier league. You've got to be pretty high quality, and moving here can only help bring that potential on.

Would also love to stick it to the Southampton twat at work who is adamant he's not coming to us.

Jacob

Is there concrete interest from us? Never heard anything about it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It'd be absolutely insane if we could sign Luke Shaw on top of the signing of one of Chelsea's best players in Mata and maybe extending Rooney's contract. A few months ago, most would have said that all three would have been more likely to be playing for Chelsea together than at United. I can't see this one happening though. Him and Southampton would probably prefer him staying there until the Summer, and then Chelsea will sign him.

DevilRed

It'd be absolutely insane if we could sign Luke Shaw on top of the signing of one of Chelsea's best players in Mata and maybe extending Rooney's contract. A few months ago, most would have said that all three would have been more likely to be playing for Chelsea together than at United. I can't see this one happening though. Him and Southampton would probably prefer him staying there until the Summer, and then Chelsea will sign him.
Hopefully with the uncertainty surrounding soton right now they will consider selling. Can't see too many clubs resisting a 20m bid for a teenage fullback.

Mainoldo

I don't think they will turn down the reported £21m though do you? If we offered that for Baines he would be here right now and not at Everton.

Ainu

We should wait until we've completed Mata's transfer before we start to top Chelsea bids for other players.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't think they will turn down the reported £21m though do you? If we offered that for Baines he would be here right now and not at Everton.
Chelsea are reported to have put in a similar bid (and not really seen anything that points to us definitely having put a bid in for him). Southampton know that both clubs need a leftback and are likely to be interested in him, so they can easily wait it out and there'd still be a bidding war in the summer.

Mainoldo

They could get that much in the summer anyway, I don't see why they would sell him now.
You never know. A good world cup for a couple left backs and Shaw is not really thought of again. There's only us and Chelsea who really would need him and would stump up cash that would be of that region. So it would be a gamble.

MDFC Manager

We should wait until we've completed Mata's transfer before we start to top Chelsea bids for other players.
Chelsea have already agreed to sell us Mata. The only ones that can now pull the plug are us or Mata.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I just watched one of his performances vs Chelsea last year, and he looks extremely comfortable defensively, already an improvement on Evra. Is he as competent going forward?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Chelsea have already agreed to sell us Mata. The only ones that can now pull the plug are us or Mata.
Its a gentlemen agreement which they can pull out from it at any time.

However they will end up with a hell of an unhappy player in their hands.

Plugsy

Its a gentlemen agreement which they can pull out from it at any time.

However they will end up with a hell of an unhappy player in their hands.
And they'd find it very difficult doing business with anyone else.

devilish

And they'd find it very difficult doing business with anyone else.
they will look pretty amateur and it will hit the morale of their own players who would start questioning whether the club can be trusted.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I would like to see Shaw here, but at the same time I'd rather have Coentrao.

Haven't heard much talk on Coentrao on here for a little while though, perhaps he's more one for the summer?

devilish

Haven't heard much talk on Coentrao on here for a little while though, perhaps he's more one for the summer?
Id prefer to see us sign Shaw and keep Evra for another 1-2 years. We're talking here of a full back whose got the potential to remain at OT for a decade and a half. If we spend 25m for him he'll cost us around 1.6m per season.

Bebe

That's what looks likely. Madrid won't sell without bringing a replacement in, and it looks like they'll wait till the summer to do that.

Plugsy

they will look pretty amateur and it will hit the morale of their own players who would start questioning whether the club can be trusted.
Yep and when it comes to bidding for others, if they're one of two or more bids why would the selling club not think "well, if I say yes to the Chelsea bid, what's to say they won't pull out last minute leaving me out of pocket?'

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The Evra/Shaw changeover would be a great idea, but it depends on what Evra's thoughts are.
There's been a lot of talk of him going in the summer, but we've seen that kind of talk with Vidic for a while.

It might also be quite a tough ask to rotate the 2 to satisfy both. As after all Shaw is playing all the games for Southampton at the moment, so would probably not be happy to take a big reduction in games. I know there's usually more cup games to increase numbers....

Would Evra accept going down to 50% or less games when he could still be a Number 1 elsewhere in Europe.

Will be interesting.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
We should sign him and loan him back, or have a deal agreed for the summer.

Kag

Evra is as good as gone. We need two left backs before the start of September and Shaw would be a great start. Young, talented and British, what's not to like?

Hopefully we could compliment him with some kind of experienced cover player that comes with the knowledge he's second choice, yet is still good enough to apply pressure and fill in when necessary. Surely there will be a cheap one knocking about.

Mersault

We'd probably have three of England's four starting back four for the next decade.
Shaw and? Jones quite possibly, Smalling though? Hard to say...

I've only seen Shaw play a few times, but given how highly rated he is this deal would make way more sense than buying another left-back approaching the end of his career..
has he ever stated a preference with regards to Chelsea or United?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's been reported as a Chelsea fan, but that doesn't always mean it's cut and dried for professionals.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Mourinho has said Chelski are done for January spending.

Could mean that Soton are not interested in selling yet or the price they want is silly.

Either way, hopefully we are looking at him. It makes perfect sense and a solid financial investment. Even if he flops we would probably recoup half of any figure.

Fellaini level money would do it.

devilish

The Evra/Shaw changeover would be a great idea, but it depends on what Evra's thoughts are.
There's been a lot of talk of him going in the summer, but we've seen that kind of talk with Vidic for a while.

It might also be quite a tough ask to rotate the 2 to satisfy both. As after all Shaw is playing all the games for Southampton at the moment, so would probably not be happy to take a big reduction in games. I know there's usually more cup games to increase numbers....

Would Evra accept going down to 50% or less games when he could still be a Number 1 elsewhere in Europe.

Will be interesting.

Age is catching on evra no matter where he goes. He might as well stick to the club who keep legends till they are 40

RedRover

Will be interesting.
Evra has been a great servant to the club, and deserves to be considered as such.

But we're at the end of an era. The 30 somethings need to be replaced. Having watched Shaw a few times he looks older than his years - the sign of a very good player - and ti my mind he's the best prospect out there. At left back he can slot in and find his feet.

If united are prepared to spend big on him, at his age, the writing is on the wall for Evra. Given the Baines bid he probably knows that. He's probably got plans and will be away in the summer anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.