Luke Shaw | Deal done! Almost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone

Something
No thread for him here so i thought i'd start one.

Manchester United make £22.5million bid for young Southampton full-back Luke Shaw

Paul Thomas
Manchester United boss David Moyes has made a £22.5million bid for Southampton’s teenage left-back Luke Shaw.

Moyes has topped Chelsea’s offer of £21m and is hoping to open talks this weekend. The Old Trafford chief is keen to land the 18-year-old immediately by offering him the opportunity to start in the first team from the outset, as well as a lucrative long-term contract.

The Scot knows that veteran skipper Patrice Evra is in the final five months of his contract when the window shuts and wants Shaw in now as part of his re-build, while Chelsea still have to settle Ashley Cole’s future.

Moyes has already agreed a £37m deal for Chelsea’s Juan Mata. That will break United’s previous transfer record – £30.75m paid for Dimitar Berbatov in 2008.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ited-transfers-luke-shaw-3059098#.UuLvZtL8Jkh

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Seems pricey, but I guess that is the going price for name English talent, even left backs. Not sure Southampton would sell for that amount though.

Leg-End

Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the biggest bullshitting paper of them all?

Nickosaur

Usually I wouldn't get exciting, as it's clearly a nonsense story.

But we just signed Juan Mata! Anything is possible! He's been my muppet choice for LB for a while now - young, English, solid in attack and defence. People will inevitably say it's a lot of money, but I'd be happy to spend it on this kid. Big fan.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
A MEN journo tweeted a link to the article, for what it's worth. Adds a bit more creditability I guess, although I suppose even Justin Bieber would add to Mirrors creditability.

Plugsy

Somewhere, on a council estate in Merseyside, Leighton Baines sobs into his pillow.

Amir

Naa, the days when MEN really knew what was going on at United are long gone.

I'd be happy for the deal to be done even for that price, though.

Someone

Something
Considering the statement made by Katharina Liebherr few days ago i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the story is bullshit, of course money talks, but maybe in the summer.

Siorac

It would be brilliant but very unlikely.

I said the same about Mata, mind you.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Despite saying in the other thread that I think he falls into the vastly overrated English player category (it happens to them all, doesn't make him shite or anything) I kind of hope he got scared of Osvaldo attacking people and hands in a transfer request detailing a liking to another red shirt based in Manchester.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It would be brilliant but very unlikely.

I said the same about Mata, mind you.
Indeed. Thing with Mata was every major news agency reported it when it broke. It was clear there was something to it. With Thiago for example it was drip and drab articles which were clearly speculation.

Plugsy

Big price but if he's 18 then if you divide £22.5m by 12 or 13 years it's a decent investment.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Definitely Shaw with Barkley are most promising English players right now and United's record on that type of signings is absolutely impressive.

Pretty much every year there's some British talent on his way here. I think we can expect from Moyes that he'll stick to that tradition.

Bojan11

Why are people saying unlikely? He's playing for Southampton. They are a selling club. With Cortese gone, I think they'd be more inclined to sell.

Sam

Daily Mail are reporting that we're considering a bid, for what its worth.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Seriously after Juan Mata deal everything is possible this January... and I don't think Moyes is a huge fan of Fabio & Buttner.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Why are people saying unlikely? He's playing for Southampton. They are a selling club. With Cortese gone, I think they'd be more inclined to sell.
I think due to the assumed tough competition from Chelski.

Anything below £30m and it will be worth it IMO.

Bojan11

I think due to the assumed tough competition from Chelski.

Anything below £30m and it will be worth it IMO.
Depends. With Jose mentioning the FFP they might take it seriously. And I don't think Chelsea want him now and throw him into a title challenge. Where as we can guarantee him football right now. I'd rather have him than Evra.

walsh

Personally, I think if we can get him for that sort of price, it's an absolute bargain given his age and inevitable improvement.

prateik

Mirror are a shit source... So find this hard to believe... And I haven't seen enough of him to know how good he is..
He's still a kid.. if he is the real deal, then the price is worth it.. especially when you consider what clubs are asking for Baines and Coentrao.. One is almost 30 and the other is not wanted anymore.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Depends. With Jose mentioning the FFP they might take it seriously. And I don't think Chelsea want him now and throw him into a title challenge. Where as we can guarantee him football right now. I'd rather have him than Evra.
I agree that we would have a wry good shot. In the end I think it would depend on who wants him the most and will pay best.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
Alan Nixon is as good as any journalist for transfers, he plants stuff for agents as well, but he's one of the better journos. I've said on here before that over the years he has posted on a Blackburn Forum, and I used to go on there just to read his posts, and he was usually spot on, he's on twitter now, his account is protected, so I can't post the tweet, but this is what he said earlier.

Alan Nixon‏@reluctantnicko Protected Tweets
@graemeflan Moyes is going slightly mental on transfer front just now. After loads. No wonder. Man Utd look miles short

prateik

Isn't Nixon the mirror reporter? He's full of shit. He might have a source at Blackburn.. All journos have some reliable sources.. but he is far from reliable.

ricky-romeo

chelsea is the favorite to sign this boy. he is a chelsea fan, and the left back position is very well up for grabs there at this moment.

anyway it would be great if we somehow can get him. young, talented, and english as well. £22.5million would be a value signing if he is going to be here until his 30s of course.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
We can offer him first team football, Chelsea most likely can't. Yeah, he was a Chelsea but Ramsey was apparently a United fan, so it really doesn't mean anything to a young player looking to further their career.

Dante

Average bang
I don't see either Shaw or Southampton wanting to do a deal in January. This feels like one of those rumours that's been leaked to put the frighteners up another club we're negotiating with at the same time (in this case Real for Coentrao).

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Bale was an Arsenal fan.
Carragher and Gerrard were both Everton fans.
Ramsey was a United fan.
Ole Gunnar Solskjær was a Liverpool fan.

Shaw supporting Chelsea will give them nothing unless he thinks he can get around the same amount of game-time and money for both clubs.
Considering Chelsea have Azpilicueta, Cole & Bertrand while we have Buttner (Evra & Fabios contract running out) I'd say he is more likely to nail down a place in our starting XI.
I don't think money would be an issue for either club.

My point is that it's not highly unlikely that Shaw would come to United, not that he definitely would or that it would be way higher chances for that.

SATA

Is he that good to fork out over 20m for a fullback or is he just another overhyped English youngster? I'm not really convinced about this when we could probably get Coentrao who has CL and big match experience for half of that amount in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.