Luke Shaw interview post Wolves defeat

mctrials23

The bottom line is that Ralfies big big thing is pressing from the front. And there was no pressing from the front. That says way more than anything Shaw might have said. It says there is a major problem.
This is why I have no bad feelings towards the manager at all. In the first game in charge our players worked their socks off, pressed from the front and were knackered by the end of the first half. You could see that the press was effective but they were nowhere near the required fitness level. Even with a bunch of players who have no expertise in the press it was effective. Since then there has been the square route of FA pressing.

The only criticism I can level against him is that he probably needs to change the formation. I have no idea what his plans are. I don't know if he is working hard on fitness and doesn't want to move away from the 4-2-2-2 for the time being or what.

What I can say is that the players are clearly not doing what they have been told. At the end of the season we need to have a clear out and we need to take stock. I would try and find any way possible to get rid of Ronaldo because I think he is literally the complete antithesis of a modern forward in a team that RR wants to build. He wouldn't get a second glance from City or Liverpool because he doesn't work for the team off the ball enough and hes too selfish. If he was willing to put his ego aside and take the hit to his personal stats then fine but nothing about Ronaldo suggests that he puts the team above himself.

I would suggest United look at someone like ETH or even Dean Potter but lets be honest, these players will probably eat any new manager for breakfast because they are a bunch of spoilt, entitled man-childs who have been indulged for far too long.

The modern football is honestly pathetically fragile. Lukaku is a perfect embodiment of the modern footballer. IMO its a massive part of the reason that Mourinho is no longer a top class manager. He can't deal with players getting paid millions a month and not giving their heart and soul to the club/manager. All of his best teams ran through walls for him and had the hunger to win. Ours seem to have bought into the idea that they are a title winning side that just not managed properly. They don't see the irony that they are making managers jobs impossible.

I still think Ole was 100% the wrong man for the job and should never have lasted past his interim appointment but this current shit show is giving me a bit more respect for him.

Reactions: oates

SparkedIntoLife

I've long had a soft spot for Shaw, especially given his horrific leg break. My dislike for Mourinho meant I was on Shaw's side in their feud. However, he again downed tools under Ole and Brandon Williams took his place. Then, with Telles' arrival, Shaw stepped up massively and started fulfilling his huge potential for a season. He genuinely looked like the best left back in the world. Then the Euros happened - losing in the final after scoring, an injury... it's understandable that Shaw was gutted. The problem is, where adversity shaped him when Telles came in, it has broken him too many times. He has a weak mentality. That weak mentality is widespread throughout the squad and it's ruining us. There's no fight. I'd rather see frustration and anger than the despondency and defeatist attitude the likes of Shaw are exemplifying. And this leaking to the press bollocks is infuriating. Rangnick may not be good enough as a head coach but this undermining screams of either "who's this German bloke getting us running?" or "he's only here a few months".

What I think we need is 1) the club to actually sell some people (although the prohibitively huge contracts often prevent that) and 2) Murtough/Woodward/Arnold/Joel Glazer to say that Rangnick's assessment of the squad will shape the future. Players need to know they can't just throw Ralf under the bus.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
This is why I have no bad feelings towards the manager at all. In the first game in charge our players worked their socks off, pressed from the front and were knackered by the end of the first half. You could see that the press was effective but they were nowhere near the required fitness level. Even with a bunch of players who have no expertise in the press it was effective. Since then there has been the square route of FA pressing.
Yeah but if they are too unfit and too old and too covidy then it's pragmatic. But how is that going to change without a pre-season and different forwards? Cavani and Ronaldo are too old. Rashford and Greenwood are fit enough but not really those kinds of players. This will take a long time.

I still think Ole was 100% the wrong man for the job and should never have lasted past his interim appointment but this current shit show is giving me a bit more respect for him.
The reason it is going to take so long is because of Ole. He had us set up as a hit on the break team but then realised that wouldn't win fek all. And once he chucked Ronaldo in even that didn't work and the whole thing collapsed for lack of a midfield. Bad manager and bad owners in perfect sync.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I finally got around to watching the interview, and I'm not sure why there was such a big deal made about it. I expect everything he said to be very close to what Ralf was saying to the players at halftime. I don't see anything he said as being a criticism of Ralf, more so that we've now got a manager who has identified the issues and is attempting to fix them, so Shaw himself was talking about them during the interview. The issues were all there under Ole as well but it feels like there was little coaching to actually work on them at that point.

Walters_19_MuFc

alexthelion

Luke Shaw's interview yesterday was telling. It seemed to me to be a none-to-subtle dig at the forwards. "We didn't start with the right intensity", "We allowed them to get control of the ball", We allowed them to be comfortable", "They probably felt they were in control of the game". "We are not all together on the pitch".

Shaw isn't the only person to point out this season the complete lack of pressing, intensity and physicality from the forwards. It's been mentioned by Rangnick in at least two of his post-game interviews, and indeed Rashford and Fernandes have both been left out recently. It has also been covered, to a certain degree, by the Sky Sports team, who have highlighted the lack of defensive effort from the forwards.

Despite this, it feels to me like the players who are consistently and constantly panned on this forum and in the press are the defensive players. Shaw himself has come in for a tonne of criticism. Maguire is blamed for every goal we concede. You can't hear AWBs name mentioned without someone adding "isn't that good on the ball". Jones has been completely ridiculed. Lindelof is criticised for his lack of physicality and aerial ability. McTominay and Fred are singled out every single game by the Sky Sports pundits, and they pull no punches with them whatsoever.

Modern football, more than ever, is a team game. Modern defenders are expected to take risks. They are asked to play much higher up the pitch then their 90s/00s counterparts. They are asked to help the team play out from the back by retaining possession and taking the ball in dangers areas, where much-vaunted defenders of bygone eras would have just hoofed it into the stands. Modern full backs are judged almost as much, if not more increasingly, on their attacking output, as opposed to their defensive output.

So my question, and I think Luke Shaw's frustration, is - "if our defenders/midfielders are held to these standards, why aren't our attacking players?".

The reason we have been terrible this season is not because AWB supposedly 'can't cross' or because 'Maguire takes too long on the ball'. We have been terrible because we are SO easy to play against. Rangnick highlighted it again yesterday. The opposition are able to walk past our front 4/5 with absolutely no effort, and constantly be at the back 5/6 under zero pressure. When we concede goals, who gets the blame? The defensive/midfield players...but this is outdated, 'old-school' thinking that needs to die. It might be a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason - you defend as a team. Every goal you concede is on the team, as it's EVERY players responsibility to defend, just like it is now every players responsibility to be involved in the attacks.

So, some people, usually the posters who have never played the game, will miss my point here, and I'll just get a load of responses like "well Maguire and Shaw have done XYZ so they have no right to complain"...so please, save me the time if you're going to write that and piss off to the 'Player Performance' threads, where you can continue to blame them for everything.

I personally don't believe you accuse the defensive players of not trying. Despite some of their limitations, can any poster, hand on heart, honestly with a straight face tell me Maguire or AWB or Shaw or Fred or McTominay don't try and don't put in the effort? I don't rate Fred. I don't especially rate McTominay. In my opinion, they will need to be replaced if we want to win trophies. However, I think yo can be critical of some of their mistakes, but I don't think you can ever say they don't care or don't try. I also think they are filling their part of the bargain, in that they are pushing higher up the pitch and they are trying to pass the ball out from the back (Shaw and Maguire are the two players who have the ball most often in our team).

So, to put this simpler, the defenders are fulfilling their half of the 'progressive football' bargain (with mixed results, granted), but the attackers are not. They are walking around the pitch, running at half-pace, throwing their arms around and moaning when things don't go their way and generally just playing within themselves when they don't have the ball. So if the attackers are not fulfilling their half of the bargain, if I was Maguire, AWB, Shaw etc....I would be tempted to say, "OK, bollocks to you then....we're just going to look after our own backs, set the defensive line halfway in our own half and hoof anything that comes near us into the stands". I 100% guarantee they would much prefer this, it's a much, much simpler way to defend. Yet they don't. They keep going every week, doing what is asked of them, and then get scapegoated on here and in the media when we inevitably concede goals due to how shockingly open we are.

In my opinion, our defenders, plus our CMs have been well and truly hung out to dry this season. Yet still, people defend Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Fernandes etc...and the abuse the defensive players get borders on slander at times. Yes, the likes of Rashford have been criticised, but have they changed anything? I haven't seen it. Still the same old, same old every week.

On top of all this, the forward players earn a ridiculous amount of money compared to the defensive players, due to our completely f**ked wage structure. Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford and Sancho alone earn £1.4m a week. Imagine being Shaw, Maguire, AWB, Fred, McTominay, giving everything they can for the club and their teammates (with mistakes at times, yes, but that's not my point) and seeing those chancers wandering around in front of them picking up their salaries whilst barely breaking a sweat. Then guess what...who gets all the abuse online and in the studio? The usual suspects!

The fact a 21 year old lad can be signed in the Summer and earn £350K, twice as much as our club captain, would say to me we as a club don't value our defensive players and the heirarchy is clear.

For me, this is the divide Luke Shaw was talking about. The defensive half of the team has it's faults, but they are trying to do their best for the team and for their teammates.

The attacking players are not fulfilling their half of the bargain. They are lazy, static and disinterested in defending, and are hanging out their teammates to dry in the process. It's NOT about individual quality and being 'better footballers', it's about attitude and who is working hard for their teammates.
Well said.

alexthelion

I wish I had the ability to hand out 'likes', we need more posts like this in the main forums regularly. You clearly understand what it means to actually play football, and the difference between 'modern football' (say 2008 onwards) and everything that went before it, which to my mind was virtually a different sport.

The scary thing is, it wouldn't bother me if it were just idiots on here who didn't understand this...I see no evidence from our Board and the 'senior football people' that THEY understand this!
The problem being that the "senior football people" are from that era or before. None of them seems to have any idea about "modern" football.

Tarrou

There's no smoke without fire.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...rangnicks-suitability-to-be-old-trafford-boss

Looks like some of us weren't overreacting after all.

Luke Shaw as much as told us that there's a split in the dressing room but apparently some were reading into it too much.

Need a clear out in the summer. Not a rebuild, because we have a lot of players, but get rid of the bad apples.
when it comes to the British press there is often smoke without fire

not to say there aren't problems (there clearly are).. but they'll use our 'crisis' to throw as much mud as possible

alexthelion

Was anyone as shocked as I at how much he struggled stringing a basic sentence together? It was just very disheartening.
Think it was more he was trying to be careful about what he said and not point the finger too clearly at any particular player.

Seij

Does anyone else think it's Shaw that keeps feeding "players not happy" "player split" stories to the journalists?

Loida

Supports
Roma
I've long had a soft spot for Shaw, especially given his horrific leg break. My dislike for Mourinho meant I was on Shaw's side in their feud. However, he again downed tools under Ole and Brandon Williams took his place. Then, with Telles' arrival, Shaw stepped up massively and started fulfilling his huge potential for a season. He genuinely looked like the best left back in the world. Then the Euros happened - losing in the final after scoring, an injury... it's understandable that Shaw was gutted. The problem is, where adversity shaped him when Telles came in, it has broken him too many times. He has a weak mentality. That weak mentality is widespread throughout the squad and it's ruining us. There's no fight. I'd rather see frustration and anger than the despondency and defeatist attitude the likes of Shaw are exemplifying. And this leaking to the press bollocks is infuriating. Rangnick may not be good enough as a head coach but this undermining screams of either "who's this German bloke getting us running?" or "he's only here a few months".

What I think we need is 1) the club to actually sell some people (although the prohibitively huge contracts often prevent that) and 2) Murtough/Woodward/Arnold/Joel Glazer to say that Rangnick's assessment of the squad will shape the future. Players need to know they can't just throw Ralf under the bus.
Mourinho only thinks of what the best for Manchester United and getting rid of Luke Shaw is one of them but instead your board gave him 190k per week wage making it hard to move him out and the fanbase siding with the players doesn't help either funny how you guys sided with players whose contribution is watching Darmian playing his position to win his only medal in his career. Don't tell me it was Mourinho who gave him new contract, because if he had it his way at United, it's impossible for Juan Mata to still be at your club ,got rid of him immediately when he was at Chelsea. Luke Shaw was the one who leaks stuff to the press when things don't go his way , to cover his laziness and weak mentality, He is one of the most toxic player ever to play for your club.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

I really think that Shaw and Maguire haven’t but the Euros behind them yet and it’s damaged their form this season.

It’s no excuse btw, we give more excuses for English players all the time for some reason.