Luke Shaw interview post Wolves defeat

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
That's not what Shaw was saying though? He was saying they didn't show enough effort or movement and talent wasn't enough and also explicitly said it wasn't on the manger but with a week of training ahead maybe he'd have some ideas as to how to fix it.

I can't see how you could watch that interview and get annoyed with Shaw.
pretty much.

The players believe in the process. But are at different stages of 'being there'.
It was always going to take time.

But then. This place is a Madhouse.

btw. Roanldo and Cavani should only be used as impact subs.
They miss too many chnaces.
Rashford is a shadow of the player he was.

I would start with Greenwood and Elanga.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
That's not what Shaw was saying though? He was saying they didn't show enough effort or movement and talent wasn't enough and also explicitly said it wasn't on the manger but with a week of training ahead maybe he'd have some ideas as to how to fix it.

Fat sows moses, comfortable with what's already in the trough.

Time will tell.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You need to be having a word with the OP then.
In fairness, if you want to make a big deal about a quote, it might be worth listening to it in context. Soundbites are often mischaracterised and in the odd case misquoted.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Jose was right about a lot of things of this football club and I was adamant that he should have been fully backed. Instead the club threw him scraps, told him to "deal with it" and when things went to shit - he got blamed for it. He wasn't perfect, but he was right about virtually everything.
Jose :lol: He was part of the problem being washed-up and all.

crossy1686

career ending
Dropped? Martial told him he wanted to leave, thus no point playing him.

A big decision would be to drop Maguire, Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno, etc - none of which he's done, unless forced or rotating the squad.
Yes, he’s been dropped, as have other players who have said they wanted to leave. Solskjaer still played them in an attempt to convince them to stay.

You can’t drop the players that don’t want to stay, and the players that aren’t playing well, they’ll be no one left to pick from.

crossy1686

career ending
Well absolutely, but I really don’t see it as being that simple. Who among the starting 11 today belongs in that bolded bit? Pogba is injured, Martial has been frozen out. Lingard was an unused sub, Donny and Henderson likewise. Surely those three weren’t influencing the players on the pitch with their toxic vibes?

I find it really hard to blame the awful performances of (say) McTominay and Matić on such factors.
Matic’s legs have gone and McTomminay doesn’t have the ability to be starting week in week out, he has the desire to do well though.

A toxic culture stems from the sulkers, the negative and the moaners. We had players on the pitch today who weren’t showing for the ball when certain players had it, as if they “knew” the player in possession didn’t have the ability to see or find them anyway. Then when some lost the ball, there was no desire to win it back, just a walk back to position. General shitty attitude stuff.

Wages cause division, we’ve got players on massive contracts who aren’t playing, lads who are running themselves into the ground on lesser wages, players who are apparently injured or not even in the country doing whatever the feck they like. There’s probably only De Gea justifying his salary at the moment. People like Lindelöf have every right to be pissed off with the wages Maguire is on when they’re on less.

It’s no wonder we’ve got issues on the pitch. No one trusts anyone.

crossy1686

career ending
Wasn’t there an issue last season with Bruno and Maguire?

I heard Mitten mention that a certain player at the club was openly blaming one of his defensive partners for making him look shit because he had to cover him constantly which pulled him out of position.

Loida

Supports
Roma
This is what I’ve been saying about Martial and Rashford for years. We put way too much faith in players who just can’t back it up when the heat is on. Jose was right about the squad as much as a downer as he is.
With the amount of world class players and serial winners who has worked under him anyone should have expected he actually knows something about managing a team and players but no , the fanbase , brainwashed by media, rather chose to back the player ( who barely contribute anything for the history of the club ) instead of a manager who has won it all. When Jose left the club , he gave interview about Manchester United saying "Time has spoken , the problem is still there". One day someone should ask Jose what exactly is the problem at united that let the club rotten from the inside up to bottom.

Can we stop with this Mou nonsense please? He is a washed up manager who has had bust ups pretty much everywhere he has been.

Also, today's XI had 6 players that were signed after Mou left and Greenwood who was in the U18's. So 5 players from his time which includes McT who Mou promoted, Matic(bought by him), De Gea, Shaw and Jones.
Let's be honest,i think he would have got rid most of them if he were allowed to , i remember how he got rid of Mata immediately during his second Chelsea stint because he doesn't rate him , but somehow he kept him here which suggest he has not much say on who to sign and who to get rid off at United.People blame him for signing some players but i really doubt that players was his first choice at all.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

In fairness, if you want to make a big deal about a quote, it might be worth listening to it in context. Soundbites are often mischaracterised and in the odd case misquoted.
In fair, that big deal wouldn't have been made if the quote was correct. As I said, have a word with the OP.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes, he’s been dropped, as have other players who have said they wanted to leave. Solskjaer still played them in an attempt to convince them to stay.

You can’t drop the players that don’t want to stay, and the players that aren’t playing well, they’ll be no one left to pick from.
Do you think Martial would be starting if he didn't want to leave then?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Watched his interview, not sure why he is getting shit from few . Classic case of people reading few bits and pieces out of context instead of watching interview.

stoinz

Don't see anything wrong with that interview. He did mentioned inside the dressing room they are all motivated and committed. Just think out on the pitch they all have different ideas of how they carry out that motivation and commitment. Maybe some of our players simply does not fit the way we want to play.

And so many times, our midfielders will dally on the ball before picking out a pass only to have opposition already closing down on them or passing options have already been closed down. Fine if you are Iniesta or Xavi when you are press resistant. Especially bad when compared with the Wolves players who make quick passes before any of our players got even close to them. It just mental. The amount of times I was shouting pass on the telly, only to see said player hold the ball, invite pressure, passing options are gone and end up making difficult passes resulting in turnover. Is this an issue with tactic or just a mental block with our players?

When Bruno came on, you can immediate tell the difference because of his quick passing. Think this has less to do with commitment but more with ability to play in a certain way. The whole team doesn't look in sync at all. Ronaldo looks useless when playing back to goal and doesn't help when MCT and Matic constantly trying to pass to him when he has 2-3 Wolves players on him doesn't help.

sdb4884

Shaw started the season by scoring in the Euro final and was arguably the best left back going around, how he has fallen so far in such a quick space of time is beyond me.

Dante

Average bang
I get the sense that there are too many players with the attitude "that's not my job, it's your job". There's no team togetherness.

It's a difficult thing for any manager to sort out. Jose does it by creating a siege mentality. Fergie did it by drilling home his famous standards. Ranieri did it in 2016 by giving his players a shared target to aim for. Even Ole managed it for the majority of his time here by creating a family atmosphere.

The current negativity is something that only seems to have set in this season. So it should be solvable. But we can't keep going on like this, with so many players deciding they're only going to play for themselves. This what happens when you have a Galactico transfer policy in the absence of a Galactico motivations.

I've got no idea what Rangnick can do to turn it around. At the very least, he needs to get us back to last season's form when we played better with a worse squad. This isn't a personnel issue, despite what all the Football Manager experts want to tell us. It's about getting the existing players to work together.

Last edited:

Nordmore

Luke should try and get his bodyfat level below 12% before he talks about intensity and effort.

I hope we're not living in a world where Luke Shaw can have a dig at Cristiano Ronaldo about professionalism.

feck Luke Shaw. Show us don't talk about it.
You're making football sounds like modelling. Prime Rooney's body fat level probably was even bigger than Shaw. Could we complain about his intensity and effort back then?

Same thing with Shaw. I'm happy with his intensity and effort. But I can't say the same with the super-low-body-fat-level Ronaldo. Football is simply not modelling.

tenpoless

If it quacks like a duck... after 4 managers in charge, maybe, just maybe, its actually a duck. Crazy right? and changing managers wont turn it into a rooster.

Oldyella

Same old blah blah, not my fault comments. He’s been abhorrent at points this season & his fall off a cliff in form did for our previous manager whilst the previous 2 managers had things to say about his professionalism.

We’ve been collectively shite but Shaw has singularly been horrendous this season, ‘we have no intensity’, then fecking try harder!
Firstly, calm down.

Secondly you’ve just misinterpreted my post to claim I did the same to Shaw. It’s all well speaking up when the team play badly, he’s been terrible at points this season in games but never popped his head above the parapet. It’s easy to say, ‘we lack intensity’ after tonight but he’s lacked it all season, he needs to up his game foremost.

Now wind your neck in & learn to discuss instead of foaming at the keyboard. So where did I say he said it wasn’t his fault? Oh I didn’t, you’re just making up strawman arguments because you’re upset we lost so need to lash out like a juvenile.
Huh..

Some people really have gone nuts in this place over a reasonable interview.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If I never see Shaw jog again it will be soon enough. Sorry about the injury he had but if he can't run anymore then he's not a useful squad member.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If it quacks like a duck... after 4 managers in charge, maybe, just maybe, its actually a duck. Crazy right? and changing managers wont turn it into a rooster.
Ole may have found the best way to get results from this squad full of entitled joggers. They're not pressing their way to any titles, we have about 3 players who could play for another top team and handle the pressing.

Maniron

I don't think anything he said was out of order and in fact he was trying to choose his words very carefully and for that he should be praised rather than pilloried. His criticism of the teams performance was honest and in many respects refreshing. There isn't anyone on this forum that would say anything other than the fact we were very, very poor.

pascell

We're absolutely screwed this season and it's on the players. They fail to play as a team and have created a divide in the dressing room between them, so whatever happens this season is on them.

Shaw coming out and saying what he did after that defeat is basically telling the fans to expect more results like it, as they can't play as a team.

We have a bunch of over paid, over entitled show ponies playing for us, we're back to square one.

Ixion

Shaw's problem here is he himself is guilty of not pressing with intensity, not sprinting back when he's out of position. He was very sloppy last night so he's just as culpable which is why some will take exception to it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Shaw started the season by scoring in the Euro final and was arguably the best left back going around, how he has fallen so far in such a quick space of time is beyond me.
Seeing as basically all of his England teammates started the season playing just as poorly at least the mystery isn’t unique to Shaw.

They all seemed to be coming back to form at around the same time in the season too (except Maguire anyway)

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Seeing as basically all of his England teammates started the season playing just as poorly at least the mystery isn’t unique to Shaw.

They all seemed to be coming back to form at around the same time in the season too (except Maguire anyway)
Like you said, they all found some form eventually, Maguire and Shaw still look largely poor, which I find puzzling. At least Shaw is starting to improve a bit.

Pronewbie

Peep
I really hope we see major improvements to our football by end-Jan. Lose and draw some matches for all I care. But I need to be entertained by our football. We are so horrible to watch and most of the time I find myself multi-tasking during our matches. We must be one of the last Premier League clubs (sans Burnley) to modernise.

goptun

pretty much.

The players believe in the process. But are at different stages of 'being there'.
It was always going to take time.

But then. This place is a Madhouse.

btw. Roanldo and Cavani should only be used as impact subs.
They miss too many chnaces.
Rashford is a shadow of the player he was.

I would start with Greenwood and Elanga.
Well said. There are plenty of reasons to bash the players, but this interview absolutely isn't one of them. He's given a very fair and frank assessment of the situation (which we can all quite clearly see anyway, assuming you actually watch the games) and he's putting the onus on the team to find that shared sense of togetherness on the pitch. People on here absolutely slaughtered the players for their generic 'no one is hurting more than us, we go again' shtick a few months ago, this is the complete inverse of that - and yet people still aren't happy. What do you actually want them to say?

Even though it's not a particularly balanced way to approach games, last season we were far more successful when a disproportionate number of our attacks were down the left side. There's absolutely no reason why Shaw and Sancho shouldn't be able to combine intelligently and cause problems. At the moment, we seem to attack primarily down the right which is quite literally just AWB kicking a ball into the box and it floating harmlessly over Ronaldo's head. Rinse and repeat. It is utterly abject stuff. They couldn't look more like a random bunch of strangers tasked with playing together in a one-off game if they tried.

ForeverRed1

It’s baffling. You have three of the best young forwards in the game in sancho, Greenwood and rashford and the greatest goal scorer of all time infront of them along with another great in the game and yet they can’t supply them with any half decent chances. We’re getting a couple shots on target per game and we have so much ability in the squad going forward. No confidence, no character, no desire. Somethings massively a miss. It runs deeper than we thought and it’s a huge huge job getting this team competitive.

all the money we have spent and we genuinely feel no better off. It feels like we need a rebuild, which is everything we have spent the last 8 years saying. We’re literally no better off.

probably feels worse actually.

Marwood

You could be annoyed.

What Shaw is bemoaning, lack of effort and aggression, is exactly what he showed for the goal.

When he says hopefully the manager can give him and the others some ideas, he surely can't mean the basics of defending.

That's irritating stuff from him.

This bunch of players, for whatever reason, have started to neglect footballing basics.

Last edited:

beer&grill

I’m sorry but Shaw needs to get lost, he’s one of the problems. couldn’t handle the fact that Rolf dropped him for Telles. Jose was right about him.
Jose was right about everyone, Pogba, Martial, Shaw. But the fanbase won’t admit it because they hate him.

Waynne

I really hope we see major improvements to our football by end-Jan. Lose and draw some matches for all I care. But I need to be entertained by our football. We are so horrible to watch and most of the time I find myself multi-tasking during our matches. We must be one of the last Premier League clubs (sans Burnley) to modernise.
What is this 'hope to see improvements by end of Jan'? Seriously, what is that?

Ralf has not even been here a month and already fans are on his back. We've had a massive outbreak of Covid in the PL. Did you really expect to see anything meaningful after just barely a month in the job and a covid disruption?

Are there any sane people in here with any realistic expecatations? Or are we just going to jump on every manager's back who doesn't show anything meaningful in a month.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I really hope we see major improvements to our football by end-Jan. Lose and draw some matches for all I care. But I need to be entertained by our football
It's difficult to see things improving any time soon. We are struggling in a period where the fixtures are very favourable, and I don't think this is going to be one of those situations where things suddenly click. New managers & staff are supposed to be a reset but that hasn't happened, and that's the biggest indicator that the rot is deep. I find it bizarre and inexplicable how we can actually resemble a hungry & organised team for 30 minutes against Palace and then immediately revert back to type.

We can talk about divides within the dressing room, or systems not working, or player X & Y being the real problem here, but its been clear for a while now that this squad just isn't anywhere near as good as we hoped it was, and until we rebuild our midfield it isn't going to get much better whoever is in charge.

Houdini

It looks like there is a tension between the portuguese boys and english boys. Most of the time you can see Bruno and Ronaldo b***ing on other players on the pitch, moaning, using gestures of frustration etc. I am not saying who is here to blame but it is obvious that we have the worst team spirit in the PL.

That's why every top/talented player fails here because the negativity has to be insane. It is like a plague a highly toxic environment. I had the same in my previous job. I almost lost the passion for my job. Whenever we had a new colleague, he chatched the negativite sooner or later. After feew weeks you are in the same sh*t as others. It changed sice I changed the job and I am completely different. I am looking forward to go work. My workrate is on another level. It is beacause of the environment created by bosses.
Our is toxic and affects the players. This is inheritable and we need an overhaul. Some of the players are not good enough and some are afflicted by the plague. Jones looked good because he was motivated not because he is miles better than others.
Every player who is not motivated enough to play for United can feck off along with Glazers and co.

Reactions: oates

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Like you said, they all found some form eventually, Maguire and Shaw still look largely poor, which I find puzzling. At least Shaw is starting to improve a bit.
I think Shaw’s played well since the rest/kick up the arse (delete in accordance with underlying feelings about Shaw) he got after Telles played a few games. Not back to his very best of last season (when he was arguably the best fullback in the league and comfortably the best player at United) but still a perfectly adequate performer surrounded by very poor players. Which was a trend that continued last night.

RedIan

Just read the Shaw interview, hes spot on.. my Opinion is Ronaldo is likely the problem. We have gone to rat shit since we signed him. Yes he’s scored plenty of goals but hes disrupted the team and the press. His influence on the teams work ethic maybe in question. Maybe it’s just coincidence a team that finished 2nd last season now looks very much mid table fodder.