Luke Shaw says Manchester United need signings

clarkydaz

So players are publicly saying it now, makes you wonder about the unrest behind the scenes if its getting to this point

Luke Shaw says Manchester United need to make more signings before the transfer window closes in just over two weeks.

United suffered a chastening 3-1 defeat at home to Crystal Palace in their season opener and have until October 5 to strengthen until the January transfer window opens.

Donny van de Beek remains the only signing United have made this summer amid protracted negotiations over Jadon Sancho. United are open to reinforcing their defence with a centre-back and a left-back but have prioritised improving their attack this summer, with a right winger earmarked as the priority.

Left-back Shaw was culpable for Andros Townsend's strike at Old Trafford but accepts the United squad has to improve if they are to become a credible force this season.

"As I said, we have a very good group, but personally I think we need more players to strengthen the squad," Shaw told TV2. "It can give us a boost. When you look around at how other teams are strengthening their teams, then we must also do it to keep up with the others."

RUCK4444

It’s affects the players more than it affects us as fans when we are seemingly being left behind.

It sends a clear message about what the club is truly aiming to achieve and undermines any goals the manager has gotten the players to buy into (ie success / trophies.)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We definitely need a LB Luke, to give you a boost, the way you played yesterday.
Come come, he's doing everyone a favour here by pointing to the elephant in the room. Very happy with this from him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never good when players start coming out like this. And i dare say he won't be best pleased if we sign his replacement.

pascell

Must be draining mentally for players when they only see one new player come through the door, especially players who were over relied upon last season as we didn't have adequate back up.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It’s affects the players more than it affects us as fans when we are seemingly being left behind.

It sends a clear message about what the club is truly aiming to achieve and undermines any goals the manager has gotten the players to buy into (ie success / trophies.)
Definitely. Players sign for Man Utd to win trophies. When they see the club stagnate it can't help but leave them disillusioned. If you are Pogba would you sign a new deal seeing how unambitious the club's ownership is?

clarkydaz

Never good when players start coming out like this. And i dare say he won't be best pleased if we sign his replacement.
The manager said it yesterday so it will be a shared feeling in the dressing room. i doubt he will be getting punished for it on this occasion

arnie_ni

Need more than him saying it.

Need our captain, need bruno, pogba, our key players saying it

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think it’s absolutely bonkers. We were top of the form guide from January last year, got to the semi-finals of three competitions and had the youngest squad in the league. Yet they’re going into the season defeated unless we spend 200m. The whole club is a fecking soap opera designed to get clicks on social media. No other club seems to have a permanent cloud of crisis over it quite like this one.

Rooney1987

Watching the Amazon Spurs show this isn’t a surprise. The players watch SSN and keep up to date on Twitter for news as much as us.

Morpheus 7

Good he said it for sure, he needs competition for his position. Not sure it will make a difference now what players say.

davidmichael

Ole and Shaw are saying the same thing so you can see it’s not Ole being the problem and very much the owners and Woodward dragging their heels or penny pinching so they can pay themselves bigger dividends.

We’ve been tracking Sancho as our number one target for two years and now can have him but won’t pay the fee whilst we’ve apparently according to two tier one journalists agreed terms with Telles but haven’t agreed a fee, simply put Woodward and Judge are awful negotiators and struggle working on agreeing deals with other clubs because they’re NOT football men.

Devil81

Whilst I agree with what he is saying he must know that his place will be one questioned if we do bring players.

Also we have a huge squad, if I were one of his team mates I'd be straight to him on Monday saying go on then, who isn't good enough and why do you think you are good enough.

It's not his place to say that at all, the more this pre season rumbles on the huge support I had for Ole is slipping. He should be banging the drum about lack of signings not the fecking players, Ole needs to get Shaw in line, Sir Alex wouldn't have had a player speak out like that if he wasnt performing himself. Roy Keane got forced out for being negative about his team mates, okay he was a bit more cutting but the sentiment is the same, your questioning whether your mates are up to it.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
We definitely need a LB Luke, to give you a boost, the way you played yesterday.
Don’t take shots at the guy, he knows the club is looking at another LB and yet he still realizes that if the club wants to improve, they need reinforcements, even if he ends up losing his spot. That’s a good team player right there.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports

Yes. We saw this exact thing play out in Jose’s last year with the lack of needed transfers. It’s demoralizing to the club.

norm87cro

OGS is the last manager the Glazers can hide behind. Once he gets sacked the most of the attention falls on them and this club isn't the Tampa Bay f... Bucs

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Ole and Shaw are saying the same thing so you can see it’s not Ole being the problem and very much the owners and Woodward dragging their heels or penny pinching so they can pay themselves bigger dividends.

We’ve been tracking Sancho as our number one target for two years and now can have him but won’t pay the fee whilst we’ve apparently according to two tier one journalists agreed terms with Telles but haven’t agreed a fee, simply put Woodward and Judge are awful negotiators and struggle working on agreeing deals with other clubs because they’re NOT football men.
Agreed that they’re not football men, but they don’t seem to be very good business men either, at least when it comes to negotiating. Not really sure what the hell they’re good at.

RashyForPM

The whole squad needs to come out and say it. That would put massive pressure on the Glazers and Woodward to strengthen the squad. It would also be very difficult to fine / suspend the whole squad. Might give OGS some backbone also.

abkmufc92

Hopefully we get someone in to replace him, an absolute joke of a left back.

I don't see how anyone can rate him, been a nothing player since his leg break.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You can tell Ole is fuming, it wouldn’t surprise me if he gave Luke the green light to say that.

This coupled with the team selection yesterday, he’s sending Woodward a pretty clear message.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is he saying that a bunch of his teammates aren't good enough?

Anyway. It's a good message but poor timing after that performance.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You can tell Ole is fuming, it wouldn’t surprise me if he gave Luke the green light to say that.

This coupled with the team selection yesterday, he’s sending Woodward a pretty clear message.
What message? "Yeh, give me more money, because I couldn't manage to beat Palace at home with these players".

I'd close the door, if I were Ed. You invest on winner, not loser.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I think it’s absolutely bonkers. We were top of the form guide from January last year, got to the semi-finals of three competitions and had the youngest squad in the league. Yet they’re going into the season defeated unless we spend 200m. The whole club is a fecking soap opera designed to get clicks on social media. No other club seems to have a permanent cloud of crisis over it quite like this one.
Not half as bonkers as your post.

It's clear as day that this squad isn't good enough to compete at the highest level, and it's it seems pretty obvious that the ambition of the club as displayed by the owners is frustrating everyone but...well...the cnuts in charge.

Our form at the end of the season was utter wank...we got by. The last time we played anything like cohesive football was the second half at Villa.

And who is talking about 200 million? It's crazy to think we can't significantly improve this squad and even first 11 with a decent budget.

We could have backed the positivity feeling of last season by showing some actual intent on improving...

Yesterday was about alot more than that though which is where I think you have a point.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The more pressure put on the board the better, especially when it's coming from senior players.

Good man.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
While I agree with the point, I don't think that a current player should make that type of statement mainly because there is a finite amount of spots in the squad and that he is essentially making the point that some of his teammates should be jettisoned. How is the locker room supposed to take it and it's even worse when it comes from a player that shouldn't be a guaranteed mainstay. But there is one positive about it, we now know without doubts that this football club doesn't have strong leadership at the managerial level which includes both Woodward and Ole.