LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People said that with Moyes tbf. Although the writing was on the wall for Moyes i seem to remember a fair bit of shock when it came. Many thought we were genuinely stuck with Moyes for X amount of years before the club finally bit the bullet.
The thing is, that although the football has probably been worse, the results don't compare at all.
Moyes had us losing sh!tloads of home games, he had us smashed by big rivals at home, he had us clueless in all big games bar v Arsenal, in which the home game was probably in the top 2 cowardly performances every seen by us (with the Bayern game the other contender)

Until yesterday, Van Gaal had a good record in home games, and a pretty good record in big games, bar that Arsenal drubbing.

I'd go for a change now, but I don't think the options are right. No way is Mourinho coming in! We'd have to make a massive change, some of our board cannot stand the idea,or we'd have done it last time. Him failing massively this season, doesn't in any way make it more likely!

Or Giggs and the 92 boys having a f'ck about for a bit. Plenty of PASSION and CROSSES, but they're all pretty clueless at real tactics and top level management.

Therefore, it's pretty certain Van Gaal will go on for a while yet

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The thing is, that although the football has probably been worse, the results don't compare at all.
Moyes had us losing sh!tloads of home games, he had us smashed by big rivals at home, he had us clueless in all big games bar v Arsenal, in which the home game was probably in the top 2 cowardly performances every seen by us (with the Bayern game the other contender)

Until yesterday, Van Gaal had a good record in home games, and a pretty good record in big games, bar that Arsenal drubbing.

I'd go for a change now, but I don't think the options are right. No way is Mourinho coming in! We'd have to make a massive change, some of our board cannot stand the idea,or we'd have done it last time. Him failing massively this season, doesn't in any way make it more likely!

Or Giggs and the 92 boys having a f'ck about for a bit. Plenty of PASSION and CROSSES, but they're all pretty clueless at real tactics and top level management.

Therefore, it's pretty certain Van Gaal will go on for a while yet
I thought so too until yesterday. The results may have only just turned in the last 5-6 weeks but the football has been breeding discontent for a while now. The champions league exit and three successive defeats are bad, but coupled with the fact that a top coach has just become unattached, i can see why many have now changed their minds and want the club to act.

I myself have been behind Van Gaal and don't want him sacked, but i will admit the idea suddenly became more appealing when an alternative became available. Not just any alternative either, but Jose Mourinho no less. I can see you're not a fan, but that's another discussion.

For ages the consensus, even when unhappy with Van Gaal and his football was along the lines of 'A work in progress, he's getting results, who else is there, anyone but Giggs, etc etc.' Except that now there is someone other than Giggs, and i think it's swayed a lot of the fan base into calling for his head.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We're one point better off this season than we were under Moyes after 17 games. The only difference is everyone else has been crap as well unlike the moyes season.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I don't get why people keep saying he's wasted money. Herrera, Shaw and Martial are fantastic players. Blind represents very good value for money. Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger have made decent starts and will surely only get better, and the same with Memphis, who people really just expected far too much from. The jury is still out on Rojo and Darmian, sure, but neither were particularly expensive and both, especially Darmian, could easily go on to became good value for money.

di Maria is the only obvious permanent signing that went wrong, and it's not LVG's fault his house got burgled (well, he PROBABLY had nothing to do with it), which had a big impact even if LVG using him as a striker was quite baffling.

There are plenty of things to criticise LVG for, I don't see his signings as one of them.

FromTheBench

We're one point better off this season than we were under Moyes after 17 games. The only difference is everyone else has been crap as well unlike the moyes season.
Moyes was dealing with the immediate aftermath of SAF leaving as well, which was a culture shock to the club whoever took over. Also wasn't in his 2nd season after having spent 250 million.

Good case can be made about LVG so far having done worse than Moyes

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I don't get why people keep saying he's wasted money. Herrera, Shaw and Martial are fantastic players. Blind represents very good value for money. Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger have made decent starts and will surely only get better, and the same with Memphis, who people really just expected far too much from. The jury is still out on Rojo and Darmian, sure, but neither were particularly expensive and both, especially Darmian, could easily go on to became good value for money.

di Maria is the only obvious permanent signing that went wrong, and it's not LVG's fault his house got burgled (well, he PROBABLY had nothing to do with it), which had a big impact even if LVG using him as a striker was quite baffling.

There are plenty of things to criticise LVG for, I don't see his signings as one of them.
Well, when you spend 250m and are as far from the title as you were before he arrived, then it's safe to say he's wasted money.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Van Gaal must go. The players do not believe in him. It's obvious from the way they are playing. Unless every member of the squad suddenly has a change of heart, he won't be able to coax the best from our players.

The Spurs, Liverpool and City games in spring looked a template. Van Gaal tore that to shreds in the summer for nothing. All he had to do was build on it. Instead he destroyed it. We are where we are because of his decisions. He has to pay for that.

soap

Well, when you spend 250m and are as far from the title as you were before he arrived, then it's safe to say he's wasted money.
That's because he's bought potential in Martial and Memphis rather than finished articles, let too many players go without replacing them and doesn't know how to get the best out of his squad. It's not like he pissed the money up the wall on shit players.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

To be fair, Herrera was a Fergie signing and Shaw was a Moyes signing. LVG merely gave the green light to go ahead with those transfers.

peridigm

Imagine how motivated he'd be to prove Chelsea wrong in that game.

He'd be looking for blood.
Advantage us. Jose knows those players better than anyone right now. Would be a massive kickoff for the New Year, especially if we drop more points at Stoke. We drop points at Stoke and Chelsea, were chasing the rest of the season for 4th.
Looking at our closest rivals in the table at the moment, it's not inconceivable that we would could be sitting anywhere from 7-9 by January 3rd.

While thinking about upcoming transfer windows and what we need I can't help but think we'd have better chances if Jose were in charge. Especially on the DDG front. Jose as been there and done that. He might be able to sway DDG to stay at United for several more years.

Summit

That's because he's bought potential in Martial and Memphis rather than finished articles, let too many players go without replacing them and doesn't know how to get the best out of his squad. It's not like he pissed the money up the wall on shit players.
The players you have mentioned are potentials, yes. But that's just two players. What other potentials is there?

pseudo_canadian

Advantage us. Jose knows those players better than anyone right now. Would be a massive kickoff for the New Year, especially if we drop more points at Stoke. We drop points at Stoke and Chelsea, were chasing the rest of the season for 4th.
Looking at our closest rivals in the table at the moment, it's not inconceivable that we would could be sitting anywhere from 7-9 by January 3rd.

While thinking about upcoming transfer windows and what we need I can't help but think we'd have better chances if Jose were in charge. Especially on the DDG front. Jose as been there and done that. He might be able to sway DDG to stay at United for several more years.
Agree on all points.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
How was Herrera a Fergie signing :confused:
Fergie had it all set up for him to be signed but Moyes dithered at the last minute, as he wanted to see Herrera himself before giving the go-ahead. The following summer Herrera finally signed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought so too until yesterday. The results may have only just turned in the last 5-6 weeks but the football has been breeding discontent for a while now. The champions league exit and three successive defeats are bad, but coupled with the fact that a top coach has just become unattached, i can see why many have now changed their minds and want the club to act.

I myself have been behind Van Gaal and don't want him sacked, but i will admit the idea suddenly became more appealing when an alternative became available. Not just any alternative either, but Jose Mourinho no less. I can see you're not a fan, but that's another discussion.

For ages the consensus, even when unhappy with Van Gaal and his football was along the lines of 'A work in progress, he's getting results, who else is there, anyone but Giggs, etc etc.' Except that now there is someone other than Giggs, and i think it's swayed a lot of the fan base into calling for his head.
It's less that I'm not a fan, and more that it's clear some of our board aren't.
We could have had him post Fergie, and got a guy who would be the only manager out there who would think he could improve on Fergie's work.
Instead, he looked a shell of a man in recent weeks.

Would he suddenly pep up again? Is he still a genius?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well, £250M is a lot of money. That sort of money would by you 2 of Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo.
And if you had 2 of those, you'd be expected to win the league title. In fact, not just win it, but win it, by a big margin.
The fact that we are struggling to beat Norwich or Bournemouth is inexcusable.
If he stays in charge I can't see any way that we can even get a draw against Stoke. Though, perhaps that's what the board will do. Give him 1 more chance. If/when he loses that, they'll ask LVG to give an honest assessment of what needs to happen. He'll recommend himself to be sacked.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fergie had it all set up for him to be signed but Moyes dithered at the last minute, as he wanted to see Herrera himself before giving the go-ahead. The following summer Herrera finally signed.
imagine a manager wanting to see a player first. Shocking scenes :wenger:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well, £250M is a lot of money. That sort of money would by you 2 of Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo.
And if you had 2 of those, you'd be expected to win the league title. In fact, not just win it, but win it, by a big margin.
The fact that we are struggling to beat Norwich or Bournemouth is inexcusable.
If he stays in charge I can't see any way that we can even get a draw against Stoke. Though, perhaps that's what the board will do. Give him 1 more chance. If/when he loses that, they'll ask LVG to give an honest assessment of what needs to happen. He'll recommend himself to be sacked.
when you get £60m back for Di Maria, is it right that he still counts in this supposed £250m pot?

Summit

when you get £60m back for Di Maria, is it right that he still counts in this supposed £250m pot?
We didn't get 60m for di maria, or did we? I thought it was 50?

soap

To be fair, Herrera was a Fergie signing and Shaw was a Moyes signing. LVG merely gave the green light to go ahead with those transfers.
They were obviously one our radar yeah, he said as much. That doesn't quite mean they're not his signings though, he obviously would have given them both considerable thought and not just been like "Luke who? where does he play? eh, yeah, go on then". Not meaning to sound snarky btw!

The players you have mentioned are potentials, yes. But that's just two players. What other potentials is there?
Herrera Blind and Shaw are already very good players for us, BFS and Schneiderlin have shown enough here and at their previous clubs to think they will surely improve too. That leaves Darmian and Rojo, who could still go either way. Not a bad record in the transfer market at all.

For what it's worth I have never really rated Rojo and still don't now, but there are more than enough people who disagree with that.

Summit

I'm not using it as a dig against Moyes; I'm explaining what happened and why I wouldn't classify Herrera as LVG's signing.
LvG admitted himself that Shaw and Herrera were identified before his arrival, he just gave the go ahead because he seen them as "good players".

Summit

They were obviously one our radar yeah, he said as much. That doesn't quite mean they're not his signings though, he obviously would have given them both considerable thought and not just been like "Luke who? where does he play? eh, yeah, go on then". Not meaning to sound snarky btw!

Herrera Blind and Shaw are already very good players for us, BFS and Schneiderlin have shown enough here and at their previous clubs to think they will surely improve too. That leaves Darmian and Rojo, who could still go either way. Not a bad record in the transfer market at all.

For what it's worth I have never really rated Rojo and still don't now, but there are more than enough people who disagree with that.
Herrera and Shaw? Nah.
LvG admitted himself that Shaw and Herrera were identified before his arrival, he just gave the go ahead because he seen them as "good players".
Blind is 25 so should be close to his full potential now, so imo isn't a potential. And to be honest, isn't United quality for me. Certainly not a CB anyway, and that's where we are playing him.

You think BFS will improve? He is on the decline pal. Granted still better than what we had mind, but it's laughable that we chase Vidal previous windows, then let him go to Bayern while we buy a player on the decline from them.

Schneiderlin was a great buy, one that I really wanted I agree. 26 years old isn't classed as a potential though. Should again be close to the finished article. Yet with this buy he sits on the bench for Fellaini? Mind boggles.

soap

Herrera and Shaw? Nah.

Blind is 25 so should be close to his full potential now, so imo isn't a potential. And to be honest, isn't United quality for me. Certainly not a CB anyway, and that's where we are playing him.

You think BFS will improve? He is on the decline pal. Granted still better than what we had mind, but it's laughable that we chase Vidal previous windows, then let him go to Bayern while we buy a player on the decline from them.

Schneiderlin was a great buy, one that I really wanted I agree. 26 years old isn't classed as a potential though. Should again be close to the finished article. Yet with this buy he sits on the bench for Fellaini? Mind boggles.
I really rate Blind personally. While it's not his best position he can definitely be useful at CB against certain teams if we have a lot of the ball.

With BFS and Morgan I'm saying they haven't shown their best form for us yet, not that they're years away from hitting their peaks.

Ryan7

they aren't announcing anything because, it won't even be in their minds to sack him yet,

He's here for a fair while yet my friends
Yup. Unless of course the club decides to be smart for a change. Otherwise expect Van Gaal to remain until our season is completely over and then get sacked. A la Moyes.

izec

He will be gone sonner rather than later. The team wont suddenly play better, i mean we lost to Bournemouth and Norwich, how the hell would we get someting in Stoke and against Chelsea? We havent won at the Britannia for quite some time now and Chelsea will be better now. Plus he wont change anything, go with the same players and the 4231 with a lot of possession, but no chances and get suckerpunched on the counter. Just sack him and dont lose time.

Sam

There's just no point sticking with him.

He's not going to change. He'll just stick to what we've seen for the past 18 months, with the hope it suddenly all clicks.

Sack him now while we still have a chance of actually salvaging something from this season.

DeafMUFC

I dont think they can wait and see two more games. The transfer window is coming fast and there has to be some work done there.

I must disagree when you say the suits dont care, because even them know that finances are powered by results. I do think that they are planing what to do as we speak. They know as much as us; our manager and players cant get the wanted results. The issue is probably that a large part of our players dislikes LvG style and tactics. If our club are run by people that learned from previous experiences, they will let him go now. If they let him stay to the end of the season, and we are out of the top 4; I will be more sad for LvG and really worried about our management.
I agree some work is needed in the window but would you trust Van Gaal with the amount of money required considering what he has done so far and the position we are in? I certainly wouldn't.

I just cannot see them making a decision right away given the way they have acted with the Moyes decision. Any fan could see how bad it was on the field but they didn't pull the trigger on him until it was mathematically impossible to make the top 4. I think he'll get the two games over Christmas and if no better, they will clearly see the 'top four carrot' slipping away and they will act.

I'll be astounded if anything happens before that - BTW I want him out now just thinking logically about the whole thing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
BIEN sports supposedly reporting LvG has been sacked, can't confirm anything at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.