King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

AshRK

Qf is not a bad exit if you are dutch but their football was awful. I know we live in result business but still one should play some good football. Also, they were fortunate with their draw. If they were in the other side of draw , could have bowed out before qf.

Irwin99

Is it true he only lost two games in his entire three spells with the Netherlands? I swear I heard that in the commentary. He lost to Ireland in 2002 but am struggling to think of other defeats? Portugal?

Stadjer

Is it true he only lost two games in his entire three spells with the Netherlands? I swear I heard that in the commentary. He lost to Ireland in 2002 but am struggling to think of other defeats? Portugal?
He missed the World Cup in 2002 (with a very talented group of players) so im sure he lost more than just one game in his first spell?

Carolina Red

Staff
He missed the World Cup in 2002 (with a very talented group of players) so im sure he lost more than just one game in his first spell?
9W 4D 2L in his first stint

18W 9D 2L in his second stint

14W 6D 0L* in his current stint

*idk how a penalty shootout is scored on a manager’s record

Stadjer

All i know is that van Gaal himself doesnt consider the penalty knock outs as ‘a real loss’. Although im fairly certain that he does consider winning a penalty shootout a win for him.

Irwin99

i always thought they count officially as draws

Arguably too many draws but very few defeats it seems; i can see why Belgium might be interested.

Rauður Djöfull

He looked a bit like some Dutch version of David Lynch on that sideline

Don't miss his football, will never forget when he threw himself on the ground as he complained about an opponent diving during a game

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He did a wonderful job considering how shit most of their players are, almost reached a consecutive semi final beating one of the favorites, not bad at all.

Seij

Yeah, it's not a good side.
Is it that bad of a side?

Depay (despite him getting shat on all the time, he's the 2nd leading goal scorer in their history after RvP)
Gakpo (who many here are asking us to sign and has looked good this WC, also current leading Eredivisie goalscorer)
FDJ (Don't need to say anything about this one)
VVD (Has not looked good for Liverpool this season but was widely considered to be the league's best defender before then)
De Ligt
Timber (Who ETH wanted to bring here as his first choice, and considered by Ajax fans to be a bigger talent than Lisandro)
Dumfries

And then there are players like Ake, Blind, Malacia, Bergwijn etc.

Certainly wouldn't call it the "Golden Generation", but they're a pretty decent group of players.

Carolina Red

Staff
i always thought they count officially as draws

Arguably too many draws but very few defeats it seems; i can see why Belgium might be interested.
Gotcha. If that’s the case, then yeah, his overall record with the national team is, on the surface, fairly impressive.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A QF exit is alright. It isn't a very good team and there are certainly at least four better teams, so it makes sense they don't make the semis. That's not necessarily how football works, of course, but I think it's also deserved in this one match against Argentina. All in all, I don't think there's much to complain about.

I hope there will soon be a better forward line and a more progressively minded coach though. This was very rough to watch.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Quarter final is an acceptable result, but the football was crap and this was the first opponent that had a better squad so no Van Gaal didnt do well. We played 1 half of good football in 5 matches and, granted, last night's comeback was brilliant, but not exactly a tactical masterclass.

For all his posturing he is a distant 3th after Michels and Van Marwijk as our national team coach. Actually not sure if he is above Hiddink, since he gave us 1998 which was fecking brilliant.

Now close this dumb thread.

AndyMUFC

Played well against the US which led me to think they had a good chance against Argentina but they didn't turn up last night and created far too little in this tournament in general.

I don't know why they stopped launching the ball to Weghorst and De Jong in extra time yesterday because it was the only thing that worked well. Quarter finals isn't a bad result but yeah it was definitely not exciting football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Is it that bad of a side?

Depay (despite him getting shat on all the time, he's the 2nd leading goal scorer in their history after RvP)
Gakpo (who many here are asking us to sign and has looked good this WC, also current leading Eredivisie goalscorer)
FDJ (Don't need to say anything about this one)
VVD (Has not looked good for Liverpool this season but was widely considered to be the league's best defender before then)
De Ligt
Timber (Who ETH wanted to bring here as his first choice, and considered by Ajax fans to be a bigger talent than Lisandro)
Dumfries

And then there are players like Ake, Blind, Malacia, Bergwijn etc.

Certainly wouldn't call it the "Golden Generation", but they're a pretty decent group of players.
Yep. It's not a great side on the level of France of course, or a few past netherlands teams, but Mancini and Luis Enrique did more with less* just last year at the Euros

*not really less actually, but saying they did more with same/similar doesn't sound good :D

NoLogo

He looked a bit like some Dutch version of David Lynch on that sideline

Don't miss his football, will never forget when he threw himself on the ground as he complained about an opponent diving during a game
He is a funny fecker no doubt, but yeah his football I don't miss either, even though I think, in the post Fergie era, we were never better in big games than under him.

What always confused me about van Gaal is that during his time with Ajax he probably played the most exciting football in Europe. That somewhere along the years vanished somehow.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
He is a funny fecker no doubt, but yeah his football I don't miss either, even though I think, in the post Fergie era, we were never better in big games than under him.

What always confused me about van Gaal is that during his time with Ajax he probably played the most exciting football in Europe. That somewhere along the years vanished somehow.
His best work is Ajax in the 90's there is no doubt about that. Yet still his style was different, more mechanic and robotic than the free flowing Cruyffian total football concept. The main reason is that LvG is the ultimate system coach. He used the Cryuffian principles to a dogmatic level and there was actually little freedom for the players to shine. His time in Barcelona where he clashed with Rivaldo, Stoichkov and other stars and was not as successful as his Ajax years (he failed in Europe) may be made him realise some flows in his systematic yet still attacking approach. May be even his assistant Mourinho had some influence on him, who knows. But Van Gaal after his failed first stint as a national coach and failed second short stint at Barca was a different coach already.
AZ Alkmaar where he was not at the helm of a dominant team for the first time in his career cemented his transition to more cautious and defensive minded coaching methods. He tried at Bayern to revert to an attacking football again but it was short lived. Since then he is a defensive coach and this is how he ended his career.

NoLogo

His best work is Ajax in the 90's there is no doubt about that. Yet still his style was different, more mechanic and robotic than the free flowing Cruyffian total football concept. The main reason is that LvG is the ultimate system coach. He used the Cryuffian principles to a dogmatic level and there was actually little freedom for the players to shine. His time in Barcelona where he clashed with Rivaldo, Stoichkov and other stars and was not as successful as his Ajax years (he failed in Europe) may be made him realise some flows in his systematic yet still attacking approach. May be even his assistant Mourinho had some influence on him, who knows. But Van Gaal after his failed first stint as a national coach and failed second short stint at Barca was a different coach already.
AZ Alkmaar where he was not at the helm of a dominant team for the first time in his career cemented his transition to more cautious and defensive minded coaching methods. He tried at Bayern to revert to an attacking football again but it was short lived. Since then he is a defensive coach and this is how he ended his career.
I haven't followed him too closely but that sounds very plausible.