King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ive had the misfortune of watching all 3 Dutch games and they all have been a complete and total borefest.

What @Cheimoon said is absolutely correct.

They look completely and totally disjointed.

This was especially evident in the first 60 or so minutes of the Senegal game (where they were lucky to come away with a victory) when it seemed that LVG had picked a team that was somehow simultaneously too attacking and too defensive (With FdJ just running aimlessly with the ball through midfield trying to connect them and being dispossessed frequently).

He's changed it around abit since but it still sucks now, just differently.
Senegal was our least bad game though. Ecuador was much worse amd Qatar doesnt really count since they cant field an actual tram of professional footballers.

saivet

Not been impressed by them at all but USA in the R16 and likely Argentina or Denmark in the QFs, I think their route to the SF is pretty achievable even if I think Spain or Brazil would comfortably beat them in the SF. That said, if you make the SF you never know.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I'm hoping that it's all big-brain masterplan moves by Van Gaal.

He's playing the system that he expects to do well against the top countries, and using the groupstage matches as practice for the system and for experimenting with particular specifics (particularly on the midfield). This would also be why he chose not to bring Luuk or Simons yet, because he'd rather keep them as surprise elements when they're actually needed. Same with system changes of any sort.

That said, I'm not sure I myself even want to see this Dutch side become world champions. There's very little to like about them, both in terms of characters and in terms of players.
The back 3 and Frenkie are players I'd like to see on a great Holland side. The rest are not the kind of players that excite me.

In general, with Holland and Ajax, it's really depressing to see other teams/countries play with these exciting, technical youngsters, while we're playing Davy Klaassen.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm hoping that it's all big-brain masterplan moves by Van Gaal.

He's playing the system that he expects to do well against the top countries, and using the groupstage matches as practice for the system and for experimenting with particular specifics (particularly on the midfield). This would also be why he chose not to bring Luuk or Simons yet, because he'd rather keep them as surprise elements when they're actually needed. Same with system changes of any sort.

That said, I'm not sure I myself even want to see this Dutch side become world champions. There's very little to like about them, both in terms of characters and in terms of players.
The back 3 and Frenkie are players I'd like to see on a great Holland side. The rest are not the kind of players that excite me.

In general, with Holland and Ajax, it's really depressing to see other teams/countries play with these exciting, technical youngsters, while we're playing Davy Klaassen.
I actually long to see Feyenoord play while watching Oranje at the moment. That's not happened ofte throughout my life.

ROFLUTION

LVG - still boring people a decade later.

In the end of his reign here I used to take a walk the first 20-30 minutes and every time i turned on the TV I could be sure it was 0-0 and nothing of note had happened

Samoerai Jack

Louis has been promoting a conservative possession style of play for a while now. I don't how it was when he started with Ajax but his recent teams have been valuing the nil over creativity. Publicly he always makes a big ruckus over his offensive strategy but it's all a ruse. Dutch football culture overwhelmingly favours a creative, offensive playstyle, so it invariably comes as a big disappointment when Louis talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. That said, he's one of the better coaches in international football and he's formed a decent, loyal squad. I wouldn't be surprised if Oranje made it all the way to the finals.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Welcome to the Boredrome! In the meantime, best of luck to Louis and his merry men. Definitely not among the most dislikeable of WC competitors.

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

yeah, only 3 of them:houllier:
Ok let me rephrase that, despite not having any high quality classical strikers. Or do you think the likes Weghorst and Luuk De Jong are similar in quality or at least half as good as RVP, RVN or Kluivert or Huntelaar were for example? :confused:

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ok let me rephrase that, despite not having any high quality classical strikers. Or do you think the likes Weghorst and Luuk De Jong are similar in quality or at least half as good as RVP, RVN or Kluivert or Huntelaar were for example? :confused:
The reality is, that since RVP and Robben in 2014 the Dutch only had mediocre attacking options not only strikers, which is incredible, looking at their history.
It seems that all their talent went into defenders.

Not an excuse to LVG's style, but there is not more he can do with this team other than defend well and hope for the best in attack.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Is there a Caf award for dumbest question?

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

The reality is, that since RVP and Robben in 2014 the Dutch only had mediocre attacking options not only strikers, which is incredible, looking at their history.

Not an excuse to LVG's style, but there is not more he can do with this team other than defend well and hope for the best in attack.
I quite liked all the three matches so far in this world cup they played. I think they will go very far in the tournament, despite lacking any real talent up front

Foxbatt

He is now too old and stubborn. Surely they have better coaches than LVG?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

A good manager can get the team playing better though. Same crap football he had us playing.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
A good manager can get the team playing better though. Same crap football he had us playing.
At us, he got what he wanted in terms of transfers spending heavily, but we've played shit and finished 4th and 5th which is awful. Most boring football we have ever played.
We had games without shots on target.
Also, he made prime Di Maria look like a muppet, he's the only manager who achieved that.

BorisManUtd

I feel USA could make it difficult for them but ultimately expect Netherlands to go through, perhaps as late as extra time/on penalties.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
De Roon is such a lovable dude. I dont care that he's cack, make him captain.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He's a likeable chap. Isn't he from Rotterdam? For those that haven't seen it: :lol:
See that before, it's great - especially that Messi joke in his post. :D

I wonder, though: did he really hang out in that store all day long, or did they just record this in five minutes in the knowledge that no-one would show up anyway? :wenger:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No matter the result, the fact we arent the clear favourite against these MLB rejects is a bit sad.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Just been looking at there previous results and they’ve gone on a good winning run and most of there best wins and performance came when playing a 4-3-3 so why’s LVG changed to a back 3/5? We also played our best football under him with a 4-3-3 when we beat Liverpool at anfield. Don’t get managers that change from a winning formula…

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Apparantly some of the players are sick and Vangle is aiming the airconditioning. Antony also complained about it a few days back.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
What's the deal with Dutch keepers? Listening to the commentator there, the stetting keeper only started playing for the national team less than two weeks ago, and has only really just become a starter at club level at the age of 28. Has less than 40 career appearances at club level. Quick research into the keepers in the Dutch squad show they have about 11 caps between all 3 of them.

Is there a gaping gap in quality or is LVG just taking the piss?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This thread is "Bohoo look at us we're dutch, our only claim to fame is for losing, but we'd rather keep losing because this team is boring also Vangle is so bad, we failed to qualify for the 2016 euros and 2018 world cup and the Czech Republic took the piss out of us at the last euros and now Vangle has us 40 minutes from an easy WC quartefinal but he's a fraud bohoo"

Fecking Holland :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This thread is "Bohoo look at us we're dutch, our only claim to fame is for losing, but we'd rather keep losing because this team is boring also Vangle is so bad, we failed to qualify for the 2016 euros and 2018 world cup and the Czech Republic took the piss out of us at the last euros and now Vangle has us 40 minutes from an easy WC quartefinal but he's a fraud bohoo"

I take it Italy didn't qualify then?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What's the deal with Dutch keepers? Listening to the commentator there, the stetting keeper only started playing for the national team less than two weeks ago, and has only really just become a starter at club level at the age of 28. Has less than 40 career appearances at club level. Quick research into the keepers in the Dutch squad show they have about 11 caps between all 3 of them.

Total lack of quality goalkeepers. Has been like that for years actually. Noppert isn't bad though, although it's very Van Gaal to play him instead of someone with a bit more experience. He also totally should have taken Flekken along instead of Pasveer, but it wouldn't really have made a difference.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Yep, Vangle taking the piss.

Stop listening in our strategy meetings :nono:

Herman Toothrot

LVG seems to be doing a great job with a Netherlands side not exactly packed with quality. England has a much better squad and played against the USA with even more caution and were fortunate to get a draw. The Yanks have yet to lay a glove on the Dutch and you suspect they're a break away from making this three. I've no idea what the fans are complaining about.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
LVG seems to be doing a great job with a Netherlands side not exactly packed with quality. England has a much better squad and played against the USA with even more caution and were fortunate to get a draw. The Yanks have yet to lay a glove on the Dutch and you suspect they're a break away from making this three. I've no idea what the fans are complaining about.
We've upped our game compared to the group stages.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Another insanely comfortable game tonight but it was so boring!!!!

You get absolute pretentious wankers like this talking the biggest shite going

What's going on here? This doesn't look like the Dutch team in the group stage. Can't really tell if it's things just working or if it's the USA just being a bit naive.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When Blind was here I knew he was good on the ball but I don't think I appreciated quite how good. His passing really is superb.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I can tell you two haven't been watching the Dutch games this WC. :) No-one's complaining about the results, it's the way they are achieved. It's very disjointed football that creates next to no chances and leaves far too much space to poor opposition. The team has been only been saved by a few moments where somehow, someone manages to put the ball in the back of the net. This won't cut it against better opposition, and clearly isn't getting the full potential out of the squad. (It's not amazing, but certainly not this poor and disjointed either.) Hence the complaints.

(Not that people didn't complain about the defensive playing style back in Brazil, but at least it worked: it was defensively solid and got the most out of Robben. This does none of that.)
But so what? You have been absolutely rubbish for ages now and your talent has absolutely dried up. The point of LVG was never going to be sexy football. He's ancient now. But he seems to have done really well in getting you into the WC and now into the Quarters fairly comfortably.

Just seems like a lot of snobbishness from Dutch fans.