LVG's United is not better than Ole's

meamth

I've read so many posters here claiming LVG's United playing style is much better.

Come on now, I quite clearly remember during LVG's tenure I fell asleep so many times watching United. That was the most turd inducing playing style since I started supporting this club.

Ole United isn't all that boring, time and time again players are allowed to express themselves with flair, fast direct football and also fast break attacks.

What annoys me so much is whenever we grind the results, people are claiming LVG is way better and I'm starting to question what kind of match you guys were watching?

To those saying that LVG united is way more entertaining, tell me how is it better?

RashyForPM

Completely agree. I’m Ole out as I feel he’ll never win us the big titles, but his football is at least bearable. There are instances of good play. LvG had a clear plan and philosophy, as he kept banging on about, but the football played as part of that plan was awful. It was so bad it even made me fall asleep during the 2016 FA Cup final.

meamth

Completely agree. I’m Ole out as I feel he’ll never win us the big titles, but his football is at least bearable. There are instances of good play. LvG had a clear plan and philosophy, as he kept banging on about, but the football played as part of that plan was awful. It was so bad it even made me fall asleep during the 2016 FA Cup final.
Finally something Ole ins and outs can agree on something.

Yeah, i fell asleep 60% times whenever United is playing late times here in Malaysia.

Not yet with Ole.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Such lofty standards to measure one by. Says it all.

Gazza

LVG actively stifled our attacking players whereas at least Ole relies on them to win games. LVG signed players who frankly didn't get what playing for United was about; I don't think Ole has a particularly good transfer record, but his signings have good characters at least.

Strelok

At least we were organised with a plan
Sometime it's better to have no plan than a bad plan. And if you think the current United is playing with no plan then you're too naive. Even amateur teams play with a plan. Let alone professional football. Whether that works is another matter.

That half arse tiki taka was painful to watch.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Finally something Ole ins and outs can agree on something.

Yeah, i fell asleep 60% times whenever United is playing late times here in Malaysia.

Not yet with Ole.
Yea. I can vouch for that. I left the mamak shops so many times. The games at 3am and 3.30am never helps. But i never felt asleep mid of a united game before. That too while sitting and watching the game in a coffee shop. LVG is trully a revolutionary man.

meamth

Sometime it's better to have no plan than a bad plan. And if you think the current United is playing with no plan then you're too naive. Even amateur teams play with a plan. Let alone professional football. Whether that works is another matter.

That half arse tiki taka was painful to watch.
Thing is if we didn't look like a well oiled machines like relegation battle club, people ate quick to say that we have no plans.

That's stupid.

meamth

Yea. I can vouch for that. I left the mamak shops so many times. The games at 3am and 3.30am never helps. But i never felt asleep mid of a united game before. That too while sitting and watching the game in a coffee shop. LVG is trully a revolutionary man.
..yeah..and just sitting there like a statue waiting for excitement to wake you up..it never came.

It's just slow and boring lullaby...

jamesjimmybyrondean

As someone that doesn't think he's good enough I'd still rather watch Ole's football than any other manager's post Fergie.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Complex thing will only produce complicated stuff because you don’t learn something complex in short period of time. United philosophy was more freedom than his philosophy.

Ole is just way better as it’s more suitable for us. And our best football post Sir Alex came from Ole’s management. Ole is more freedom and his focus is direct football.

Skills

Snitch
Louis Van Gaal had far less talent to work with - which was entirely his fault, though most of Oles signing outside of Bruno have been shockingly bad too.

Greck

I don't think anyone can argue this. What some say is LVG had a plan/framework he was building to, i think he executed it poorly and what we got was soulcrushinging, mind numbingly boring. The players he bought for his system guaranteed it would never advance

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I don't think Ole is a right man for the job but comparing his football to LVG is ridiculous. Of all the four failed managers here OGS team played it right or at least tried to. Still need to go mind.

Greck

Louis Van Gaal had far less talent to work with - which was entirely his fault, though most of Oles signing outside of Bruno have been shockingly bad too.
They both spent their first 150m on players not suited for their style. If Ole didn't already meet a talented core from the previous regime he might have really hamstrung himself with those signings

Strelok

They both spent their first 150m on players not suited for their style. If Ole didn't already meet a talented core from the previous regime he might have really hamstrung himself with those signings
The talented core of Sanchez, Fellani, Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard, Young, Valencia, Matic, Herrera?

Greck

The talented core of Sanchez, Fellani, Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard, Young, Valencia, Matic?
Christ it literally just means the core of the present side was from the previous regime.

Skills

Snitch
Sadly, I think his second summer was even worse. Shaw, Blind and Herrera became useful players for him or us.

Schneiderlin, Depay, Schweinsteiger & Damian must've played less than 50 games combined for us. That summer was a real missed opportunity, because if even one of them was good enough he gets the point he needs to finish top 4 and get another season.

Strelok

Christ it literally just means the core of the present side was from the previous regime
Ah ok I see. Cheers then.

Still, the core of our current squad are the players he bought I think. Except James and VDB, which were bought as backup. Maguire, AWB, Bruno are among our most important players. Telles looks promising as well.

Morpheus 7

This is where we are now, comparing levels of shit. Lvg's football was suicidal, Ole had patches of playing good but overall has been shit too. They both beat big sides and were inconsistent. The levels people are trying to defend Ole now is pathetic. You all know he's not going to win anything big here, too many top reds in the caf these days. Loyalty is blind and the delusion is scary.

Fergie 7ime

People have short memories. I catch myself in that act quite often too. But regarding the shittyness of United it's easy for me to remember; I always measure it in times I switched off, or did not bother to watch at all. Happened occasionally under Moyes, and quite a bit under Van Gaal's tenure. But never under Ole yet, he's getting there though. :boring::boring::boring:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Both are boring but one style is organised, with playing patterns and exact plan vs "pass it to Bruno".

Loon

:lol:
When I think of LVG getting it right, on the rare occasions he did, I think of him going to Anfield and bossing them in a way I don't even think Ferguson managed. If only Solskjaer could do that.

vangagal

This is where we are now, comparing levels of shit. Lvg's football was suicidal, Ole had patches of playing good but overall has been shit too. They both beat big sides and were inconsistent. The levels people are trying to defend Ole now is pathetic. You all know he's not going to win anything big here, too many top reds in the caf these days. Loyalty is blind and the delusion is scary.
Thats pretty much sums up this place.

youmeletsfly

You could see a lot of stuff in the LVG team, patterns, quality of passing and first touch improving, etc .

Can you see that today?

meamth

You could see a lot of stuff in the LVG team, patterns, quality of passing and first touch improving, etc .

Can you see that today?
Obviously. I'm not going to over exaggerate how terrible we were. There were some flair and fast attacks showcased against West Brom.

Red_toad

Can you see that today?
I see some improvement in certain players, but generally we look lost unless someone is really on form in any particular match. Bruno, Rashford or Martial when on song make us so much better, shame they cannot replicate it consistently, but it is a team game and the team needs to improve.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
LVGs was worse at the time. The only thing I'd say is that, if he had a more mature Rashford and Martial, on top of midfielders like Bruno, Pogba, VDB etc, it might have been better than it was. A big part of the problem was his squad at the time, but he was largely responsible for that.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ole’s team is better.

The LVG tactic was so bad. I think people forget that we couldn’t even get a shot off against Cambridge who were non league (I think).

We kept the ball and that was it

sugar_kane

Christ it literally just means the core of the present side was from the previous regime.
Still not so sure I agree, here was the starting 11 from Jose's last game for us:

De Gea
Darmian
Bailly
Lindelöf
Young
Dalot
Herrera
Matic
Rashford
Lingard
Lukaku

Bolded players are guaranteed starters under Ole, and 5 of them have left the club entirely.

Of the players with most league apperances this year, only a handful are Jose signings (Fred, Lindelof, McTominay if we're counting him as a 'signing' since he broke through under Jose, Pogba if we really want to call him a Jose player seeing as he would have sold him if he could)

Appreciate that's not what the thread is about, but to say this team is based around a core group that Ole inherited from Jose is somewhat misleading.

There's not that much between them.

LVG was a proper tactician and had a plan. That plan was 20 years out of date and boring as hell, but you could see where he wanted us to be. His biggest downfall was not getting the right players for it. If we had had a DoF doing the recruitment i think LVG could have been successful here.

Ole appears to be spinning a roulette wheel when it comes to team and tactics each week. Just as a broken clock gets it right twice a day, occasionally we look fantastic. The rest of the time we look hopeless. Still, when he does leave/get sacked the squad will be in a better place for the next manager than it was for him when he arrived.

R'hllor

Comparing Ole with LvG lul, LvG as any manager had bad and good traits, good and bad moments with us, with him you could see whats up when it comes to play style, direction of football, now majority of us not liking it, well thats different matter. Still remember when this place and experts in it were mocking LvG for the whole, left footed LCB and rf RCB, few years later this same place were using rf LCB as excuse why we bad at playing from the back and its not managers fault, you cant make that shit up.

Without trying to compare football under Ole and LvG, difference is, football under LvG was how he wanted them to play, evolution and improvement in quality aside. We found it boring but thats how he rolled. Question is, is football right now under Ole his vision or not, if not, well then he is failing as feck, unlike LvG.

Footy van de Geek

LvG would have fared much better had he got the job around 2018 instead of 2014. The level of Academy talents coming through now is superior to what came between 2014-2016. He was willing to give opportunities to inferior young players, so would have loved Greenwood, Gomes, Tuanzebe, etc.

LvG also suffered from the majority of United fans buying into a mythical "United way" of playing. So he was up against it from the start.

Less loyalty to Rooney would have helped LvG immensely.

What was incredibly stupid was going from LvG's style to Mourinho's. Total opposites. We should have either given LvG one final season or hired a younger coach who could build on the foundations he laid. You can't go from one extreme style to another so quickly.

Greck

Still not so sure I agree, here was the starting 11 from Jose's last game for us:

De Gea
Darmian
Bailly
Lindelöf
Young
Dalot
Herrera
Matic
Rashford
Lingard
Lukaku

Bolded players are guaranteed starters under Ole, and 5 of them have left the club entirely.

Of the players with most league apperances this year, only a handful are Jose signings (Fred, Lindelof, McTominay if we're counting him as a 'signing' since he broke through under Jose, Pogba if we really want to call him a Jose player seeing as he would have sold him if he could)

Appreciate that's not what the thread is about, but to say this team is based around a core group that Ole inherited from Jose is somewhat misleading.
The starting xi has nothing to do with what I said though. Ole didn't inherit Jose's core, he inherited a set of players that would form his own core. Our lethal front 3 was inherited. They are the core and bedrock of our attack. Our starting midfielders both old and young were also here. The part of our core that he brought were Bruno and of course AWB. Maguire as well if one wants to stretch it. That part was the least controversial aspect of my post. This is what happens at most clubs

Last edited: