Mad bastards of the game

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Saw his last ever game for Milan. End of season kickabout with nothing to play for, Ibra strolling around barely breaking into a jog. But he played like a man possessed, cajoling his teammates for not showing the same passion, running the game with the intensity you’d associate with a title decider.

charlie C

Supports
Chelsea
Schumacher

Chopper Gentile Montero Pearce

Mackay

Souness Bremner Giles

Whitehouse Ferguson

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
El Hadji Diouf

Spitting at...

- West Ham fans
- Celtic fans
- A child
- Arjen de Zeeuw

Consistent and blatant diving

Drink driving

Nightclub fracas with players wives (allegedly)

Deliberate suspensions

Threatening to stab teammates (allegedly Anton Ferdinand)

Nightclub brawl

Racial slur at a child (allegedly)

Abused player (Mackie) after breaking leg in a game

Red card for dissent

Red card for obscene gesture at fans

Accusations of inviting crowd violence through celebrations

And finally...telling Gerard Houllier to tell Steven Gerrard that he would “f——— his mum”

TheReligion

Abusive
Amazing! The “he’s a s***house” chimed in from one of the players in the dressing room was like something from the office:D
It's a funny documentary. Narrated by the legend the is James Richardson I believe.

Andoni Goikoetxea and Pepe probably deserve a mention...
The Butcher of Bilbao? Ouch.

I love Warnock.

At the end, when he was talking about how well they played and tat they didn't even need a keeper, was that their keeper the camera man zoomed in on? :lol:
Yeah their goalkeeper was sent off with Muscat and Phil Jagielka went in goal.

Warnock himself has a PhD in Shithousery which I think is why he gets so angry about Muscat. I love the end when they win the game and Warnock goes on the pitch shaking hands with the opposing team whilst shouting at them "that's for Muscat that" before walking away.

TheReligion

Abusive
Saw his last ever game for Milan. End of season kickabout with nothing to play for, Ibra strolling around barely breaking into a jog. But he played like a man possessed, cajoling his teammates for not showing the same passion, running the game with the intensity you’d associate with a title decider.
He was a cracking player and one I would have loved to see at United. Fergie would have loved him.

Moving on I don't think the following have been mentioned?

Julian Dicks (also took a cracking penalty)

Razor Ruddock (turned down Cantona's collar during a game which resulted in Eric going through the back of him in the next challenge)

Craig Bellamy (Even Clattenberg hated the little prick. Randomly told Adebayor to feck off during pre game handshakes and generally a nuisance on and off field)

Thomaz Repka (sent off twice in his first few games for West Ham, squared up to fans and generally an angry man. 19 red cards)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would nominate Cyril Rool, who recorded 187 yellow cards and 27 red cards.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Bruno Alves says hi. Even Diego Costa feared him. He was a top center back on his peak but a massive c*nt

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No mention of Maradona yet?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Pepe has to be in there somewhere. It takes a certain kind of nutter to just start kicking the opposition striker up the arse in the middle of the box...

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Edmundo. Theres's also another 3mins of his shenanigans in the next part.

big rons sovereign

Wisey was not really a mad bastard. He wanted to put you off or get you sent off.

He was a sneaky devotee of the dark arts.

Not sure if Diego Costa makes a mad bastard XI or a dark arts XI. I'm not sure if he is crazy or a genius.
Wise is a gutless little worm who attacks people while they sleep. Total scumbag.

Robertd0803

Cantona.

Mark Hughes had a nasty streak.

Costa is an absolute genius of the dark arts. He's a national treasure and it may be a long time before we see his like again. Watching him annoy the feck out of opposition players is comedy gold.

The only one I'd really be wary of is Suarez, you can dodge tackles, but it's hard to shake someone off when they are gnawing on your flesh.
Re Costa yes, it was always comical watching him wind up the entire Arsenal team and come off better and then Bailly just utterly dismiss him at Old Trafford.

And have to say I laughed at your Suarez comment until I had tears in my eyes :lol: :lol:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Wasn't Wimbledon full of crazy bastards? I mean, if Vinnie Jones felt it appropriate to grab your bits and squeeze on a football field then that's the definition of a crazy bastard.

OleBoiii

Genaro Gattuso was the first name which sprang to mind.
From Pirlo's book:

You could see the red mist coming down and he just wasn't able to hide it. We could tell what was coming and so we'd commandeer all the knives. Gattuso would grab a fork and try to stick it in us. On more than one occasion, he struck his intended target and the fork sank into our skin. We were as soft as tuna; the kind you can cut with a breadstick. Some of us ended up missing games because of one of Rino's fork attacks, even if the official explanation from the club was one of “muscle fatigue”.

BlackShark_80

Schumacher
Muscat - Harris - Goikoetxea - Gentile
Bowyer - Keane - Souness
Edmundo - Ferguson - Cantona

sully07

From Pirlo's book:

You could see the red mist coming down and he just wasn't able to hide it. We could tell what was coming and so we'd commandeer all the knives. Gattuso would grab a fork and try to stick it in us. On more than one occasion, he struck his intended target and the fork sank into our skin. We were as soft as tuna; the kind you can cut with a breadstick. Some of us ended up missing games because of one of Rino's fork attacks, even if the official explanation from the club was one of “muscle fatigue”.
When I saw him try to head butt the pensioner Joe Jordan and he didn't flinch, Gattuso's hard man image evaporated a bit for me. Big Joe would have eaten him for breakfast back in the day.

Denis' cuff

Jens Lehmann. Off his fecking rocker. Punch and Judy show with Drogba the best handbags ever. Favourite non-United player ever.

Billy Bremner, Dennis Wise etc? Little shit stirring twats who were hard when the ref or Jack Charlton was standing 3 feet away.

thread seems a bit mixed up between mad bastards and supposedly/hard bastards

Last edited:

Redcy

Michael Brown has been described by his own team mates as the most horrible player they have seen on the pitch. Apparently a really lovely guy off the pitch, with regrets about his own conduct a times, but would just lose it completely.

Redcy

Kolo Toure was also known for being a bit mental back in the early days. Came to arsenal first session he smashes henry, then smashes into wenger to get the ball in triangles session.

OleBoiii

When I saw him try to head butt the pensioner Joe Jordan and he didn't flinch, Gattuso's hard man image evaporated a bit for me. Big Joe would have eaten him for breakfast back in the day.
To me, "hard man" and "mad bastard" are two very different things. Gattuso genuinely seems like a crazy person. Also after his retirement.

Redcy

Graham stack chins a lad coming into the pitch. Dived 200 ft off a cliff, many stories

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Rene Higuita, literally called “The Madman” (El Loco)

Most famous for his scorpion kick clearance against England, he played over 500 games across a 25 year period and 13 different clubs.

Highly influential as one of the first keepers to genuinely use his feet and come out of goal as a “sweeper keeper”, he was still mad as a hatter.

Claimed to use cocaine as a “hobby” throughout his career, twice being sacked by his clubs for missing training due to his hobby.

He was jailed for aiding in a kidnapping that involved close friend Pablo Escobar. He missed a World Cup because of it.

He scored nearly 50 goals in his career and his biggest error was getting dispossessed near the halfway line at the 1990 World Cup by Roger Milla, contributing to Colombia’s exit.

After being voted “Colombia’s Ugliest Icon”, he signed up to a reality show in which he got plastic surgery that completely changed his appearance.

Most recently back in the news for punching a fan in the face at a local game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To me, "hard man" and "mad bastard" are two very different things. Gattuso genuinely seems like a crazy person. Also after his retirement.
Aye. Stuart Pearce would be a good example of the former, especially when he didn't flinch when Basile Boli nutted him at Euro '92. Had he gone down and Boli been sent off, who knows how that tournament pans out.

Probably also a distinction to be made between the tempestuous genius (Di Canio, Maradona, Zidane, Cantona, Edmundo), the master of the dark arts (Costa, Materazzi, Mihajlovic, Gentile), and the simple-minded hatchet man (anyone can break a player's leg and arguably the biggest wankers like Muscat are not mad but simply cold and calculated in their execution of the leg-breaking challenge).

Luke1995

Robbie Savage used to annoy me when he played against Manchester United.

He's that guy that's always around you, pushes your shirt, goes for your legs and not really the ball...