Mad bastards of the game

Adam_S

4 pages in and no mention for Bryan Robson yet? I always liked this story.

poleglass red

Graham Roberts was a bit of a hatchet man, although a good player.
Terry Hurlock was another who could lose it.

There is someone else who's name I can't quite remember. In the eighties, pretty sure he was the person with the most red cards in the league. I can picture his face but not his name. Midfielder for a non-top side. Anyone help me dredge his name from the dark recesses of my memory?
Isn't Jimmy Case by any chance, he was a tough player who could also play as well.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Oliver Kahn was probably the most intimidating player, but at the same time he was quite calculated I think. Intimidating, but not in an idiotic way, more in a 'stamping authority' way.

Redcy

Yeah robbo was (in)famous for doing that to players who were trying to kick young players.

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Oliver Kahn was probably the most intimidating player, but at the same time he was quite calculated I think. Intimidating, but not in an idiotic way, more in a 'stamping authority' way.
Can't post the tweet but Oliver Kahn once took part in a penalty shootout against a bunch of nine-year-olds.

For every penalty scored, money would be given to a charity - but Kahn saved every single one because he refused to be beaten.

The Purley King

Isn't Jimmy Case by any chance, he was a tough player who could also play as well.
Nah not him. He played for Liverpool though so even I'll admit that back then they were a top side :)
This is going to bug me for weeks if I can't think of who it is............

EDIT - think it might be Steve Walsh. SO not a midfielder then!

Last edited:

poleglass red

Nah not him. He played for Liverpool though so even I'll admit that back then they were a top side :)
This is going to bug me for weeks if I can't think of who it is............

EDIT - think it might be Steve Walsh. SO not a midfielder then!
good you got it as it was bugging me too as that was my era growing up. Case only played for liverpool up to 81, for the rest of the 80's he played for Brighton and Southampton, that's why i said him, when you said he didn't play for a top side. Walsh was a tough, dirty player, typical of that time.

Holsinho

Zlatan. Love the guy, but been doing dirty stuff on the pitch since his early days.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
How can he rant at the ref there?!
It's Muscat. The dood is 100% a thug. Im not sure he goes down as a mad bastard or just a talent less violent hatchetman.

The tackle that ended Matt Holmes career was appalling. 3-4 surgeries later, lucky not to have his leg amputated, hole in his ankle, steel rod in his leg, Muscat ended his career. Purposefully going over the top of the ball to injure players was his bread and butter. Flailing arms, elbows, 12 reds over his career, should have been a lot more.

The tackle on Zahra in this thread was another requiring surgery. Seriously injured Craig Bellamy with a horrible challenge which kicked off a melee in a Norwich Wolves match. Knocked out a Grimsby player with an elbow which earned him a straight red and several game suspension. One of many suspensions, he got five games for a tackle from behind on Ashley Ward who was subsequently stretchered off. Seriously injured Dugarry, was an international friendly, Muscat didnt get the memo or didnt care. Stomped on Danny Webber in a match against Watford. And this isnt even digging very deep.

It's pretty bad when Millwall is informing you to change the way you play as you are damaging the clubs reputation and you will be moved on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's Muscat. The dood is 100% a thug. Im not sure he goes down as a mad bastard or just a talent less violent hatchetman.

The tackle that ended Matt Holmes career was appalling. 3-4 surgeries later, lucky not to have his leg amputated, hole in his ankle, steel rod in his leg, Muscat ended his career. Purposefully going over the top of the ball to injure players was his bread and butter. Flailing arms, elbows, 12 reds over his career, should have been a lot more.

The tackle on Zahra in this thread was another requiring surgery. Seriously injured Craig Bellamy with a horrible challenge which kicked off a melee in a Norwich Wolves match. Knocked out a Grimsby player with an elbow which earned him a straight red and several game suspension. One of many suspensions, he got five games for a tackle from behind on Ashley Ward who was subsequently stretchered off. Seriously injured Dugarry, was an international friendly, Muscat didnt get the memo or didnt care. Stomped on Danny Webber in a match against Watford. And this isnt even digging very deep.

It's pretty bad when Millwall is informing you to change the way you play as you are damaging the clubs reputation and you will be moved on.
It seems surprising anyone can last in the pro game with that back catalogue.
Also surprising no one ever got after him for retribution and took him seriously out.

Classical Mechanic

Thatcher on Mendes was the worst I’ve seen. Knocked him spark out and it could have been worse. One of the few on pitch challenges I think the player should have been criminally prosecuted for.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Also surprising no one ever got after him for retribution and took him seriously out.
Well it was the 90's early 2000's and he was never in the top leagues. And yes there was a game where he was stomped on and had studs raked over the back of his head and neck by a Welsh player in response to him injuring Bellamy.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The punishment of a few red cards (3-game suspensions) over his career didn’t match the crimes of seriously injuring or ending the careers of multiple players. It’s where the game is out of balance. He should have been banned from the sport.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Wisey was not really a mad bastard. He wanted to put you off or get you sent off.

He was a sneaky devotee of the dark arts.
One of the Norwegian players (can't remember who) back in the 90s said Wise was a constant pain in the ass during matches. He said he that whenever Wise was near him, he would always ship some comments his way. I think it was described as non stop verbal harrassment to mess up your focus and get you agitated.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
One of the Norwegian players (can't remember who) back in the 90s said Wise was a constant pain in the ass during matches. He said he that whenever Wise was near him, he would always ship some comments his way. I think it was described as non stop verbal harrassment to mess up your focus and get you agitated.
Yeah, by almost all accounts, he was/is a massive arsehole both on and off the pitch.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Once finished an entire season with only 2 yellow cards by the way, even Baresi would be proud :lol:
CLean defending :D

We all had our fair share of cnuts on the big three, but still I think Ávalos and Paulo Turra from Boavista were another level of "toughness" :D

In a Boavista - PSG match for UEFA Cup, where Boavsita eliminated PSG, Ávalos man-marked Ronaldinho all game. He was so rough that Ronaldinho started asking to be replaced at the first half at Bessa :D
Refereeing was much worse back in the days and few people remember it, though.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Not sure if you're after hard/mental or just mental....

Tommy Smith - loved the physical side, would always retaliate on behalf of teammate
Souness - tw@t, but a hard tw@t. Bit sneaky, probably leg you from behind
Gentile - they say some players can play across the back four... Gentile could foul across the back four (and play tbf),
Bremner - probably the hardest little man I've seen
Pepe? - Can't remember specifics, just have memory of him fouling all the time
He didn't look too hard when Eddie McCreadie did this to him the 1970 Cup Final replay.

I was at a match at Stamford Bridge where Bremner thought Ron Harris was coming behind him and he jumped high up in the air to avoid a challenge that didn't happen. The crowd roared with laughter.

The 1970 FA cup final had about 10 mad bastards on the pitch. It was allowed in those days.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He didn't look too hard when Eddie McCreadie did this to him the 1970 Cup Final replay.

I was at a match at Stamford Bridge where Bremner thought Ron Harris was coming behind him and he jumped high up in the air to avoid a challenge that didn't happen. The crowd roared with laughter.

The 1970 FA cup final had about 10 mad bastards on the pitch. It was allowed in those days.
There's a difference between taking hard tackles and getting karate kicked/blind sided at the same time though? :)

It was the 50th anniversary of that game recently, loved it, did a thread. To say it didn't get MANY comments is an understatement :) (age thing?)

So many amazing tackles?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/lee...ka-a-fight-interspersed-with-football.454500/