Maddison vs. Grealish -- Who would you rather have?

DSG

So the rumours continue... Despite bringing in Bruno Fernandes in January, we have been linked with both Jack Grealish and James Maddison through multiple reports and sources.

The question is, who would you rather have?

Based on criteria and attributes in their play, here's my thoughts:

Pace and quickness: Grealish is a bit faster and quicker
Finishing from open play: Grealish
Set Piece delivery: Maddison
Set Piece shooting: Maddison
Passing: Even
Through balls: Maddison.... He might be second in the league only to KDB in this area. He's really good.
Dribbling: Grealish. I would add that he has exceptional ball control while dribbling at speed. Maddison is good, but Grealish is outstanding.
Creativity: Grealish for me. That's not to say that Maddison is poor in this area... he's not. Now, according to most sites, they are even with Maddison slightly ahead on chances created. I think if you look at how they are creating chances, Maddison is through a lot of through balls, whereas Grealish excels on the wings and in the box.
Movement: Even. Grealish is better at wingplay, Maddison better with his central movement.
Defense: Grealish. He is a bit of a bruiser and does track back. To me, he has the potential of playing more centrally and deeper.
Versatility: Grealish. Can play on either wing and as a 10/attacking midfielder.
Mentality: Grealish. Has a bit of Roy Keane in him IMHO. I personally like the fact that he is a bit unpredictable.
Off Pitch: Maddison. Not close. This last incident with Grealish was pretty bad.
Cost: Grealish. Looks to be anywhere from 20-40m difference. Plus, Leicester don't need to sell with CL money.

Overall: I think I'd rather have Grealish. He can play on either wing, at the 10 and possibly part of a midfield two, paired with Fred. He's cheaper. He also seems to have a bit of an attitude which I think this team needs (Maddison is a confident lad too). Also, many of the areas where Maddison excels at (set pieces, playing as a 10), we already have players that he won't displace Rashford, Bruno). He's less expensive.

If we bring in Grealish and Sancho, we'd have Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Bruno, Ighalo (assuming he stays), Grealish, Greenwood and James for 4 attacking positions. Mata will stay, Lingard will go. Andreas will probably stay, but only as a break glass in case of emergency option.

When we were playing Aston Villa earlier in the season, my stomach jumped in dread every time Grealish got the ball.... you knew something was going to happen. I think that the lack of quality around him has actually hurt his production quite a bit.

OL29

I think Grealish would fit the team more as Maddison does his best work in the slots Bruno excels in whereas Grealish seems more fluid with his ability to carry the ball from deep. I think that’d be a really good asset to the team, not sure how we can fit him in if Pogba stays though.

meninred

i think they play in same position as bruno fernandez. I would rather strengthen in other areas.

DSG

i think they play in same position as bruno fernandez. I would rather strengthen in other areas.
Actually, he spends most of his time on the left as a LW or LM.

The point of the thread was that the media is saying we are in for both Maddison and Grealish. Regardless of whether we need other areas addressed (those discussions are ubiquitous in other threads), who would you rather have? Who fits us better...?

We won’t buy both, but we may buy one, and if so, who do you prefer?

DSG

I think Grealish would fit the team more as Maddison does his best work in the slots Bruno excels in whereas Grealish seems more fluid with his ability to carry the ball from deep. I think that’d be a really good asset to the team, not sure how we can fit him in if Pogba stays though.
I’m assuming Pogba leaves. But, they are vastly different players. If Pogba stays, it will be part of a midfield two with Bruno forward. I don’t see Grealish playing in the same position as Pogba.

James Ward

If Pogba goes probably Madison, If Pogba stays probably Grealish. its just a weird one to be honest.

If pogba stays i still think CF and a RW are more important and Grealish will be half the price of Maddison.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Maddison has a higher-ceiling and is a massive United fan, but Grealish who has more versatility to his game will be easier to get providing Villa go down, personally i'd prefer it if we looked at somebody like Cantwell and/or Buendia at Norwich if we are going for players used to the Premier League as the two lads linked most heavily have reputations for being far too big for their own boots. That can be knocked out of them, but ....

@James Ward #6 has probably got it bang on what will happen.

Hawks2008

Neither, if we are to sign another #10 It should be a rotational option to cover for Bruno and these two would want a regular place in the starting 11. I dont see how we could play one of these two with Bruno and still be balanced in midfield and furthermore, i would hate to see Bruno pushed deeper to accommodate one of these guys.

A midfielder in the mould of Zakaria should be the priority in midfield not another attacking midfielder. If I had to pick one though I think Madisson is the better of the two.

DSG

If Pogba goes probably Madison, If Pogba stays probably Grealish. its just a weird one to be honest.

If pogba stays i still think CF and a RW are more important and Grealish will be half the price of Maddison.
Maddison as a replacement for Pogba? Bruno has the attacking midfielder role ahead of Pogba. I don't think Pogba will play there anymore, and didn't much to begin with... so I don't see Maddison playing in a deeper role.

I don't disagree, RW and Sancho is a priority.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maddison is a no 10 while Graelish plays mostly on the LW. Those are the two positions we don't need.

I'd rather see us get Zaniolo. He's a complete midfielder who can play as no 10, in a deeper midfield role and as a RW, all positions we need to strengthen (apart from no 10). He's hardworking, talented, with a good eye for goal and in his 6ft3 frame he shouldn't struggle in the more physical EPL.

ash_86

Grealish is a leader and thats what we should be after. Also he can play in the wide positions as a cover to Rashford if need be. He is also a brilliant ball carrier which our team misses if Pogba is not available. Grealish ticks too many boxes for us and would be a brilliant signing.

If we didn't have Bruno i'd want Grealish, but as we do, I'll say Maddison. Their two favourite spots are occupied by players they will not replace (AM and LW) and I think he would be happier fighting for a spot in the team, whereas Grealish would expect to be the main man from day 1.

I can't shake the feeling with Grealish that he's a big fish in a small pond type. How would he cope at a big club?

Rocknrolla69er

personally i think Grealish would be the better option, offers more depth than Maddison as people have posted.

Im just intrigued that the Saul rumours seem to have ignited again after Grealishs early morning drive.

Hard to decipher who we l go for, lots of noises and a positivity campaign around Pogba at the minute which points towards him staying and a possible new contract.

Im sure once its clear what were doing with Pogba , then it
Become clear who were targeting, i think Maddison was lined up as a possible Pogba replacement. And Grealish to generally add some depth rather than having to play Lingaard and Peirera, so rather than those two we have Grealish/Bruno two upgrades.

Id hazard a guess wel sign Grealish if he hasnt blew his chances, if he has then itl be Saul if we can tempt Atletico

Ekeke

Neither now that we signed Bruno, Pogba is here and Rashford is having his best season as a left winger.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I’m not sure we need any of them.

On talent and potential I would say Grealish. But Maddison is more proven in a better team. Better at pressing off the ball (might be a team-thing).

Mentality-wise I’m not sure on either. And mentality beats talent.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Tbh, both would be luxury signings. We don't need another no10/wide playmaker. We need natural winger

stepic

If Pogba stays I’d prefer a defensive mid to either of them. Maddison isn’t needed and Grealish seems like a luxury player for someone who wouldn’t be an automatic starter. This is assuming Sancho is already coming.

Robertd0803

Seeming as the question was which one of the two (not what else we need instead etc.) I think Id have to say Grealish on the grounds he should be cheaper and slightly more versatile.

James Peril

A lot of subjective verdicts above of course, but I feel you OP. All in all, I think Grealish has that x factor your need to succeed in such a role at Manchester United. He has that grit and penache at the same time, whilst Maddison looks a bit like he's the type of character that would dig his head in the ground if he found hard times. Playing for Villa and Leicester is another thing than playing for United, that we all know very well. This point is also very real for a creative, central player, as opposed to a full-back that will disappear more easily without being noticed. Grealish is very good at observing and executing accordingly, Maddison acts more on instinct and slotting those through-balls for Vardy. The former is more important for United than the latter, we don't have the open space available at all times. I also think Grealish is better at spraying passes long and short, perfect for interplay with Pogba, Fernandes and most importantly, Rashford on the wing. Let's throw in Sancho on the right for the fun of it.

Some seem to hesitate a bit with Grealish because of past behavior and his recent altercation with the police, but again, coming to United will most definitely make him change his ways, if there is anything to change. He is no Ravel, for that I am certain. That drunken thing on the ground was when he was a kid, and has it come out that he was drunk whilst bumping those cars? If so, hmm.. if not, footballers are hardly the smartest people in the world anyway.

Both get minus points for haircuts, although Grealish has his own thing going on. Extra minus points for Maddison and his transparent Louis Vuitton-bag, although I wouldn't be very surprised if Grealish had one too.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Grealish

If Pogba stays and we can get him playing 100%, then none, but I can't see it happening.
Zakaria / Ndidi and Grealish would be a great collective midfield, and if Bellingham was added to it, even better.

Imagine swapping out a 10% committed Pogba, Lingard, Pereira.

Zakaria
Matic
Garner

Fred
McTominay
Bellingham

Bruno
Grealish
Mejbri
Thats also forgetting Mata and Gomes if he signs
To be honest, I wouldn't even mind it if Mata and Matic left.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Grealish.

Maddison would cost a whole lot more and I'm not sure he's the better player albeit in different positions.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Grealish is the more effective player.

tenpoless

No idea why Maddison's face look like that in the thumbnail but from these stats it's clear to see who is the better player. One plays for the worse team as well.

Pav1878

Honestly? Neither. Another case of good English players hyped up to be better than they are. There are better and cheaper options amount there. One of them just signed for Chelsea.

Ekeke

No idea why Maddison's face look like that in the thumbnail but from these stats it's clear to see who is the better player. One plays for the worse team as well.
One has played central midfield, the other left winger where our top scorer plays. Do the same stats with Rashford Vs. Grealish

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think Grealish is the more technical ball player and can operate deeper.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think Grealish is the more technical ball player and can operate deeper.
It’s the other way round if anything. Grealish is always the focal point for Villa’s attack whilst Maddison has played more games for Leicester in central position.

ROFLUTION

What a childish way of doing a stat. It's basically just a goals-stat served in different ways

Anyways, I'd take Grealish. He seems more turned on and the hungriest of the two. Also a tad better I believe.

We better seal some of these deals like Grealish and Sancho now in case Newcastle becomes a force in the transfer-market.

Who knows, there could be a penis-measurement-contest between Newcastle and City in the future in the transfer-market too.