MADN Draft R1 — Michaelf vs Jim Beam

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

-------------------00--------------------- Michaelf ------------------------------------------ Jim Beam ---------------------------------

Team Michaelf

My team will play a 4-3-3 with a fluid interchangeable front 3. Partnering the brilliant Baresi in the center of defence is Fulvio Collovati who was part of the team of the tournament at the 1982 World Cup. The skill of Ze Roberto and the pace of Reuter at fullback will help to provide width. Graeme Souness will play as a holding midfielder with Falcao and the Deep Lying Playmaker version of Scholes tasked with creating chances for our front 3. My front 3 consists of Rummenigge who was in the Kicker Bundesliga team of the season for 6 consecutive seasons winning the Ballon d'Or in 1980 and 1981, Jupp Heynckes who scored 40+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons from 1972 to 1975 and Sadio Mane.

Team Jim Beam

Tactics: 3-4-3 diamond with some of the principles taken from Van Gaal Ajax team using width and positional interchanges while putting main focus on Di Stefano creativity in AM position

- Wide defenders (Thuram and Facchetti) will often effectively operate and position themselves as fullbacks in the attacking phase;
- The three at the back are protected with Javi Martinez as DM who will sometimes drop back in possession making it back 4 and either build from the back or protect the back line if Thuram/Facchetti go forward;
- The diamond formation in the middle allows numerical superiority;
- Two central midfielders in Neeskens/Vidal have supreme energy and are crucial for both regaining possession, but also keeping possession or penetrating through the lines;
- Width in attack comes from two wingers (Hamrin and Gento), both brilliant in 1 vs 1 situation who need to stretch oposition fullbacks and create space centrally. Both are also capable of either scoring or assisting;
- Centre forward (van Persie) is not only responsible for scoring, but to occupy opposition centre-backs making the space for the main creative outlet in Di Stefano who has the most freedom in the team

Pagliuca - Italy
Krol - Italy
Facchetti - Italy
Thuram - Italy
J. Martinez - Spain
Vidal - Germany
Neeskens - Spain
Di Stefano - Spain
Hamrin - Italy
Gento - Spain
Van Persie - England

Good luck @Michaelf7777777 @Jim Beam

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Lovely team @Jim Beam.

@Michaelf7777777's team is cracking as well, especially that gorgeous midfield, but it doesn't quite capture the imagination for me like Jim's, particularly the use of Krol and Facchetti.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
@Jim Beam backline is a hell of handsome bastards.
Pagliluca+Krol+Facchetti are on the level of A list Hollywood actors.
Thuram is very muscular+has a lot charisma and handsome too.

Irrelevant ,ahaha

harms

Staff
Facchetti would’ve been an upgrade on Eastwood

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I think Ze Roberto/Mane + Reuter/Kalle would exactly be the kind of wings I would want to trouble a narrow back 3.

Italy Krol as the sweeper is a really nice touch though and worth a vote itself.

Its closer than it looks IMO although 1 team is clearly more stacked.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I agree with scrappy, could easily see that team struggling defensive wise even though it looks absolutely lovely at first glance. Regarding robot team, looks good i just dont see Heynckes as a good fit for the team, fluid attack is lovely but at the end of the day you need someone who can play up top or as a f9 and in those three i dont see anyone, i see 3 wide attackers/SSs.

GodShaveTheQueen

i just dont see Heynckes as a good fit for the team
I'd agree with this 9 out of 10 times but against a 3 man defense, I like the 3 runners waiting for the defense splitting passes from midfield. They can open up plenty of channels and gaps there. Redondo there instead of Souness and that would have sealed my vote. As it stands, looks a draw to me.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Lovely team @Jim Beam.

@Michaelf7777777's team is cracking as well, especially that gorgeous midfield, but it doesn't quite capture the imagination for me like Jim's, particularly the use of Krol and Facchetti.
Cheers Gio. As soon as I got Krol, Serie A version and then Thuram wanted to go with back 3 while putting Di Stefano in a more progressive, ball dominating set up. The fact that Facchetti also isn't wasted in attacking sense with Martinez dropping back sealed the formation.

Although, I was damn close to Bielsa 3-3-1-3 with Vidal as LWB (played that role for Chile under Bielsa) and Neeskens as RWB with both of them operating as inverted wingbacks not overlapping, but attacking the central area. It also places Di Stefano as the focal point of attack. Basically, this...

But, Thuram and especially Facchetti seemed out of sync in that with El Loco often preferring midfielders to operate at the back because of their ball playing ability.

In the end, yeah, went with this as it suits pretty much every player.

As for Michael, I like it, it's clean, direct and very functional. He always does it against me and then goes with Di Stefano/Platini double AM against someone else. :lol:
Would definitely prefer a holder there, but with Di Stefano on my side even mobile and physical Souness looks pretty good. Nice match in terms of opposite styles and I like his use of some less shiny names (always a plus in my book). Still, I would back my unit to come on top in most games. Those wingers in Hamrin and Gento just add an extra layer of unpredictability and problems with Di Stefano in the centre and Van Persie trigger happy first touch finishing.

Šjor Bepo

When Martinez dropps to the back the midfield of Vidal and Neeskens is wild as feck and considering frontline isnt suited to the press they could be really easy to bypass conaidering who they against it.

Would vote mike but considering he just refuses to get involved will probably vote for jimoga.

Jim Beam

When Martinez dropps to the back the midfield of Vidal and Neeskens is wild as feck and considering frontline isnt suited to the press they could be really easy to bypass conaidering who they against it.

Would vote mike but considering he just refuses to get involved will probably vote for jimoga.
Thanks, but we don't collect pity votes.

Jim Beam

Its a cnut vote not a pity one, save those for edgar and his christmas trees :D
And btw, why my forward line won't press? I have a crazy theory that a player who runs forward at immense speed with the ball can actually run at that same immense speed without the ball?

What do you say?

Šjor Bepo

And btw, why my forward line won't press? I have a crazy theory that a player who runs forward at immense speed with the ball can actually run at that same immense speed without the ball?

What do you say?
Because they didnt?
I actually saw Hamrin quite involved in the defensive side of things but harms and few others were persistent it was a one of and i decided to believe them.

Also,
Cristiano, Martial, Rashford, Messi, Neymar all say hi.
Though im pretty sure you were taking the piss but hey, im bored so there you go :D

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
I agree with scrappy, could easily see that team struggling defensive wise even though it looks absolutely lovely at first glance. Regarding robot team, looks good i just dont see Heynckes as a good fit for the team, fluid attack is lovely but at the end of the day you need someone who can play up top or as a f9 and in those three i dont see anyone, i see 3 wide attackers/SSs.
Given Heynckes superb 3 season peak goal scoring record mentioned in the opening post I'd prefer him over Mane. Without the Edwards injury I was planning on a 4-1-2-1-2 midfield diamond with a Heynckes Rummenigge front 2 and late 90's early 00's Scholes as the attacking midfielder. Nearly played it anyway with Mackay as the DM. From an opposition perspective I'm surprised to see Dani Alves left out.

With the teams as given I think my main advantages are my width on attack, and having a better GK.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Because they didnt?
I actually saw Hamrin quite involved in the defensive side of things but harms and few others were persistent it was a one of and i decided to believe them
His workrate were pretty average,not excellent but no mediocre.
A lot of times he contributed in defensive phase both in Italy club teams and NT.

GodShaveTheQueen

Given Heynckes superb 3 season peak goal scoring record mentioned in the opening post I'd prefer him over Mane. Without the Edwards injury I was planning on a 4-1-2-1-2 midfield diamond with a Heynckes Rummenigge front 2 and late 90's early 00's Scholes as the attacking midfielder. Nearly played it anyway with Mackay as the DM. From an opposition perspective I'm surprised to see Dani Alves left out.

With the teams as given I think my main advantages are my width on attack, and having a better GK.
I'll give you the vote as a motivation for more involvement in future games. As much as I hate voting against a well built Di Stefano team, as I have noted in past games too, in the modern game, a back 3 is really liable against wings with 4 good attackers.

Jim Beam

I'll give you the vote as a motivation for more involvement in future games. As much as I hate voting against a well built Di Stefano team, as I have noted in past games too, in the modern game, a back 3 is really liable against wings with 4 good attackers.
And me for demotivation :lol:

GodShaveTheQueen

And me for demotivation :lol:
I do hope to see 1 more variation of your team in future rounds though. Di Stefano - Neeskens is a pair with immense potential and one I have hoped to build around if I get a chance sometime. Of the great No. 10s of all time beside Cruyff, I have always felt Neeskens would be best alongside Di Stefano in a 4-3-3 of sorts.

Jim Beam

I do hope to see 1 more variation of your team in future rounds though. Di Stefano - Neeskens is a pair with immense potential and one I have hoped to build around if I get a chance sometime. Of the great No. 10s of all time beside Cruyff, I have always felt Neeskens would be best alongside Di Stefano in a 4-3-3 of sorts.
There are huge amount of players that gel with Di Stefano tbf. Which is why it's strange that he doesn’t go too far.

Müller is an absolute bomb with him upfront imo (and the whole plethora of selfless players)

harms

Staff
O-oh! Edged towards Michael actually but found it too close to vote.