Magic Neymar

Grande

Please! Serena is the undisputed queen of her sport. Don't insult her.

He's a cheating but better version of Dustin Brown in men's Tennis.
He’s the bizarro world’s answer to fake healers.

With mere willoower he can make an athletic young man into a cripple, and then he can just as easily make the cripple into a top athlete again.

You just need to believe.

Steven7290

Having a whinge about being booked for diving.

I do not know what I have to do to live with it [this reputation], there's no way I'm going to stand for a situation like this. I think it has to end,' he told Globo Esporte.

'But it's not up to me, so much that I did not say anything, I went on with my football.

'It's a lack of respect, not just with me, but with my team-mates as well.

'Playing with a yellow card is tricky. The guy comes here to officiate a Brazilian national team match, which is a very big selection, and he does that. I don't think it is correct.

'If he does not want to give the penalty, it's not a problem, but the card is unnecessary.'
When a player falls in the box and a penalty is not given, isn't it almost automatic yellow card for simulation? Except for the rare cases of course.

keener

He's easily my least favorite player, has been for a few years now and this is a good reminder to me as to why I hate this guy. He's reeling from being everyone's darling to now being mocked and poked fun of globally. He's feeling the ill effects of his dives and ground rolls on and off the pitch and he's trying to now attack the ref as if he's biased.

He should be fined and add further insult to injury.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He thinks he’s a lot more important than he is. Failing to grasp the idea that he’s not the pretty boy that gets everything he wants his way

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I always thought an automatic yellow is stupid. If it's a dive then sure but often players genuinely fall off balance themselves and get back up.

Haven't seen the incident though so I can't say in Neymar case.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If it was a dive, it wasn't an obvious one at all from what I remember. Regardless, he's built up enough of a negative reputation that it's preceding him now. It's up to him to adapt and muscle up his game a bit. He's not getting the benefit of the doubt anymore.

soccerMad

If it was a dive, it wasn't an obvious one at all from what I remember. Regardless, he's built up enough of a negative reputation that it's preceding him now. It's up to him to adapt and muscle up his game a bit. He's not getting the benefit of the doubt anymore.
He's been crying wolf too often and serve him right.

It's time to play like a man in a man sports. Come on Neymar, show us what you can do.

Trizy

What a clown. He's notorious for diving and over acting on an 'injury'. Everyone in the world can see if but after that interview, it's clear that he's starting to believe his own lies. Hilarious really.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
His status as legend for the brazilian team surely can't just depend on individual achievments. If he doesn't win a WC with them, that would surely lessen his legacy despite the individual records. He was unfortunate in 2014, but his performance in 2018 was terrible.
His "terrible" performance in the WC is overblown. He wasn't terrible, nowhere near. He was actually good. He just wasn't great, as pretty much everyone expected him to be, and that plus the diving made people overreact in the other way.

Still find it very funny that Neymar gets so much shit for putting up the same performances for which Hazard gets praised

AlwaysRed66

His "terrible" performance in the WC is overblown. He wasn't terrible, nowhere near. He was actually good. He just wasn't great, as pretty much everyone expected him to be, and that plus the diving made people overreact in the other way.

Still find it very funny that Neymar gets so much shit for putting up the same performances for which Hazard gets praised
That is because Hazard is a much more likeable bloke.

devil in me

He doesn't get shit for his performances, most people agree that he's briliant. He gets shit for his behaviour and his attitude (which is an utter embarrassment) of which Hazard has none of.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s the better player now and will absolutely go down as the better player in history books.

el3mel

Hazard still has stinking attitude from time to time and downing tools (Chelsea fans will come in force now).

As a player though, I will take Hazard over Neymar.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

Hazard was one of the best players of his team and Neymar wasn't. Nobody doubts his quality for PSG or Brazil. Yet Brazil had various legendary teams and many many iconic players. I would imagine that it is a pretty high task to join this elaborate group. Neymar was build up as someone who would not just be one of the top players, but someone who could outshine those around him. And to his credit I think he deserved this reputation because his early contributions for the national team were outstanding. At a young age he was by far their best player and he was willing to take on huge responsibilities (incl. huge pressure). His injury in 2014 was very unfortunate because he was by far the best player in this brazilian team and imo his injury was one of the reasons for their subsequent implosion.
The 2018 team was a lot better than the 2014 team and he was pretty anonymous. He was ball-hogging trying to be fancy without producing much. He was only able to draw attention with his theatrics, dives and diva-like behaviour. Take Neymar out of that team and they wouldn't have missed anything despite other attackers not really stepping up either (especially Jesus, Willian and Firminio). He didn't have any impact when it mattered and consequently brazil had another rather medicore worldcup (considering their high standards). He might not have been terrible but he certainly wasn't good.
In the end non of that really matters for my point anyway, because "being okay" shouldn't be enough to get you in the history books of the brazilian national. If he wants to go down as an all-time great for the brazilian national team (I am not talking about club football), he needs to do something meaningful for them at the biggest stage. Nobody doubts that Neymar has the talent to do so, but in the end talent doesn't mean anything if you don't show it on the pitch.

On the other hand Belgium just had their best worldcup result ever and Hazard was quite influential. Naturally he'll be praised for that.

Johnny Love

I don't know what he's going on about. That play he got booked on was a clear dive in the box, no doubt it should've been a yellow.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Well, people expect different things from them. Neymar is (or was for a long time) the next big thing after Messi and Ronaldo, so he is judged accordingly — and Hazard, while being insanely talented, doesn’t have the sheer drive, consistency and productivity to match him in the fight for a hypothetical 3rd place. He actually reminds me of all those 90's players who turned up from time to time to provide a piece of genius — before scoring a hat-trick every other game became a standard for a world's best player.

And he's more humble and dives less, of course.

Johnny Love

Well, people expect different things from them. Neymar is (or was for a long time) the next big thing after Messi and Ronaldo, so he is judged accordingly — and Hazard, while being insanely talented, doesn’t have the sheer drive, consistency and productivity to match him in the fight for a hypothetical 3rd place. He actually reminds me of all those 90's players who turned up from time to time to provide a piece of genius — before scoring a hat-trick every other game became a standard for a world's best player.

And he's more humble and dives less, of course.
I think that is the big difference. He is just not very likeable person. It's funny because some of my favorite Brazilians like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho also did tricks at times, but were so humble, so much more respected and always coming from a happy place. Neymar carries this ugly chip on his shoulders and you get the feeling there is so much anger inside of him. It probably has to do with the way he was brought as well, he seems like the kid who always got what he wanted without much discipline.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hazard was one of the best players of his team and Neymar wasn't.
How so? Who exactly was better than Neymar for Brazil, aside from Coutinho?

The 2018 team was a lot better than the 2014 team and he was pretty anonymous. He was ball-hogging trying to be fancy without producing much. He was only able to draw attention with his theatrics, dives and diva-like behaviour. Take Neymar out of that team and they wouldn't have missed anything despite other attackers not really stepping up either (especially Jesus, Willian and Firminio).
He was actually one of the world cup's most productive players. Was directly involved or responsible for more goal-scoring chances than pretty much everyone else bar De Bruyne, and didn't get to play against Panama. Yes, Brazil would have missed him tremendously given that even hogging the ball and diving at the first hint of potential contact, he was still one of their two dangerous players

He didn't have any impact when it mattered and consequently brazil had another rather medicore worldcup (considering their high standards).

On the other hand Belgium just had their best worldcup result ever and Hazard was quite influential. Naturally he'll be praised for that.
See that's why i mentioned the comparison. Neymar didn't have an impact when it mattered(against belgium)? True enough, though he was involved in nearly all of brazil's many, many, many chances

Hazard? His impact was keeping the ball and drawing fouls late in the game. That was it. And he gets praised to high heavens for it, despite having a worse game individually than Neymar

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Not to mention he still hasn't fully recovered from his injury, at least at the time of the world cup. He wasn't playing 100%, and it showed at times.
This was the incident

There is contact, is it enough to lose his balance like that? No, but I think at least it should be a no-call without a yellow card. But again, Neymar sort of brought that on himself and will have to adjust to the new way he is being refereed. The fact is, he is still one of the most fouled player in today's game, without the theatrics, and being that frail, I can sort of understand him trying to protect himself by going down easier than if he tried powering through the shock against bigger players. Messi, for example, is built much differently and can handle the physical shock of a player going at him without letting himself fall with the contact to lessen the blow. Neymar will get injured much more if he tries to play through everything, simply because of the treatment he brings on himself with his play style.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Neymar dives a lot but Hazard is suspectible to an easy tumble too.

I don’t disparage either player for it though - the supremely talented dribblers tend to get hacked down and year in year out both will be the highest in terms of fouls conceded etc.

D4X73r

This was the incident
There is a contact if I see this correctly but what the feck is he doing with his right foot? Instead of stepping on it and trying to get the ball, he lift it again about a few cm before touching the ground.

AndyJ1985

He's done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt. Quite the opposite infact.

the_irish123

He was coming from a broken foot. He literally had 1 week of pitch work, before world cup started.. and he depends a lot on his athleticism, so I think people overlook that.

I agree people underrate him because of his antics though. People make it seem like all he does is dive, yet he is super productive. In the other thread about 'who would you buy given you have infinite funds' almost nobody picked him, even though he is 26 years old in his prime. I think that is crazy, he is very underrated now, and it would be a good time to cash in on him if I was Woodward.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He was coming from a broken foot. He literally had 1 week of pitch work, before world cup started.. and he depends a lot on his athleticism, so I think people overlook that.

I agree people underrate him because of his antics though. People make it seem like all he does is dive, yet he is super productive. In the other thread about 'who would you buy given you have infinite funds' almost nobody picked him, even though he is 26 years old in his prime. I think that is crazy, he is very underrated now, and it would be a good time to cash in on him if I was Woodward.
Cash in on him? You'd need to sell the club in order to get him from PSG at this point. I don't think he has a release clause either so I can't see him going anywhere for some time, especially not England. He would moan and whinge every week and try to find any excuse to fly back to Brazil on a monthly basis.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
He is annoying but behind Messi he is the best..He is just having some issues getting motivated at PSG because he play in a farmers league, he need to join a better league asap.

ypsipeos

He is 26 y.o. and I am already bored of him, even more bored than I was of Ronaldo and Messi at the same age.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Why didn't he play at the weekend?
He played in the 5 nil win over El Savador on the 12th. PSG's league match against St Etienne was 2 days later on a Friday so I'm assuming Tuchel just wanted to give him a rest before the big UCL game at Anfield.