Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I thought nothing was worse than Smalling and Jones but this takes the biscuit.

Chungy

In an ideal world, we'd sell both this summer. But unfortunately, we have limited funds (even with new owners due to FFP). I mean, look at the players we probably need to buy this summer:

A world-class forward (frankly, I'd take a young, promising forward with good pace and isn't injury prone, I think Martial and the new forward can share the minutes (and give us something different).
A good box to box midfielder (I don't want McT or Fred anymore, if one is retained, I'd rather they be 3rd choice behind Eriksen and the new CM)
A promising defensive midfielder (understudy for Casemiro, so we don't rush him back and allows him time to play back into form [he's pretty poor every time he misses a few games])
A world-class goalkeeper (this is the one that can't be skimped, De Gea's not good enough, and frankly GK is probably the most important position)
1 good, promising centre back (needs to be good enough to play 40% of the games with how injury prone Varane is).

That's 5 players we desparately need, if we sell both Maguire and Lindelof, we'd need another CB, when our funds may not even stretch to cover the above 5 already.....

The other problem is sellability. Lindelof would be much easier to sell, but frankly I want Maguire out at all cost. That'd probably mean we'd need to sell really cheaply (due to his high wages). If we can get all of the above, then Lindelof would be relegated to 5th choice CB (Varane and Martinez, new CB, Shaw, then Lindelof), I'd be OK with that.
But oh my god, please, I don't want Maguire anymore. Hell, I'd rather keep McT as backup CB over Maguire at this point........

abkmufc92

Both need binning, Maguire is incapable of not making a mistake and Lindelof defends as much as the people in the crowd do.

And the amount of time these two hog the ball drives me mad, the ball doesnt' progress forward with these cnuts.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The worst defensive partnership in uniteds history possibly. Lindelof is alright but has been tarnished by that partnership unfortunately.
Lindelof is the Fred of this partnership. Both are OK players but the other half of their partnership is dross.

Ekeke

The first bit is awful as well. Comes out and misses the ball and doesnt bother to be in any hurry to get back into the backline. He points to Casemiro then he receives the ball under pressure and Lindelof doesnt make himself available for a pass by moving his lazy ass. So Casemiro has to try and play out of it and that ends with a loose pass. Then he casually walks back and doesnt block the shot.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well, no matter the penalties' outcome, Lindelof has shown once again he's several tiers above Maguire.

Not Martinez or Varane level but good back-up

Pintu

Well, no matter the penalties' outcome, Lindelof has shown once again he's several tiers above Maguire.

Not Martinez or Varane level but good back-up
Several tiers above Maguire is nowhere near good enough to be a starter at United. I think we should keep VNL but also bring in someone who can replace Varane looking forward.

meamth

Maguire must be so low on confidence now. Only himself to blame, that's how you play from the back.

criticalanalysis

Maguire needs to go but this game isn't really a good measure of Lindelof's capabilities.

Both of them have always had good games when we've defended as a team on the back foot. You can't absolve Lindelof's performances for the last 5-6 years down to 'he's playing next to Maguire'. The most frustrating thing is that why can't Lindelof raise his game and be a leader to take ownership of his own performances more often? He has a good game like today 2-3 times a season and then reverts back to being passive and non-engaging.

He's probably low on the priorities of replacing due to other priorities/budget but don't pretend he's been some misused and underrated player that's been held back.

Someone

Something
Don't think anyone fancies playing beside Maguire at the moment. Lindelof is usually solid playing alongside someone decent.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Maguire makes everyone around him worse
That's the problem, right there.
And because Lindeloff is always paired up with him, Maguire makes him look bad.
Pair Lindeloff with Varane or Martinez and he'll look pretty decent.

Monks_United

Remember, when everyone thought we needed to buy a CB to partner up with Maguire and replace Lindelof in the first 11. Maguire is, I think, reminiscent of Fellaini. Brought in by a manager who people retrospectively don't rate anymore (I still think he did alright but wasn't the correct option for long term), and is completely unsuited to the way Manchester United should play. Both of them are Everton, Villa or West Ham level players where they would be somewhat successful and have a good premier league career. I certainly think Fellaini would have had a longer PL career if he had continued on at Everton and not been found out at United. Maguire, though, still has a little more going for him because of playing regularly for England and can hopefully go back to the trajectory he was always cut out for !

Last edited:

L1nk

The problem is they both have flaws to their game, but the partnership doesn’t work because they don’t complement or fix each others flaws, infact they only seem to enhance them, Rio and Vidic worked so well because they covered for the weaknesses of each others game.

I’d much rather Lindelof than Maguire