Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

poleglass red

They made Noble look like prime Zidane there, completely ignored their responsibilities as midfielders.
it was sickening watching that little runt stroll around like he was something, he even tried a Paul Scholeseque volley from the edge of the box direct from a corner. He's always annoyed me him, even that time he picked up Herrera and carried him of the pitch

A-man

I dont disagree it was a bad pass. And like I said about Lindelof missing the header leading to Maguire's positional mistake, its the same with Tuanzabe's pass being what put Lindelof and Maguire in the position to fail.

But they still did.

Lindelof was tempted out of position and Maguire was too deep playing the attackers onside.

Then again he's a 21 year old playing one of his first premier league games, filling in at left back instead of his normal role at CB and had played well until that point. Young players without experience are expected to make some mistakes and thats why the older more experienced players are generally played around them. So Maguire and Lindelof should be aware that they are going to have to cover a mistake or two during the match. They didnt manage to this time.
Ithink it was slightly different as United was in possession and both CBs, especially Maguire, moved to be in position to help Tuanzebe. He should have played Maguire but chose the more difficult pass.

But I agree, he is young and unexperienced. We must allow all players to make mistakes, and especially the younger ones. Today we look in to every detail in a cerain situation and forget about the whole picture. I think especially defenders are having a tough time as a mistake from a CB often lead to a goal opportunity. And we probably remember Lindelofs poor header or Tuanzebes poor pass longer than Pogbas missed penalty even though they all were just as costly.

Ekeke

Ithink it was slightly different as United was in possession and both CBs, especially Maguire, moved to be in position to help Tuanzebe. He should have played Maguire but chose the more difficult pass.

But I agree, he is young and unexperienced. We must allow all players to make mistakes, and especially the younger ones. Today we look in to every detail in a cerain situation and forget about the whole picture. I think especially defenders are having a tough time as a mistake from a CB often lead to a goal opportunity. And we probably remember Lindelofs poor header or Tuanzebes poor pass longer than Pogbas missed penalty even though they all were just as costly.
Agreed. A personal mistake from a CB is very bad (although he was leftback at the time), almost as bad as a personal mistake from a keeper because its usually hard to make up for. And with us being such a low scoring side and with the money we've invested in the players playing in our backline (that could otherwise have been spent on attacking players which would have surely helped us score more) then 1 goal conceded means we need 2 goals to win and we don't average 2 goals. So conceding any goals at the moment is likely to result in dropped points

Utdstar01

Lindelof needs to be put on a weight gain programme, gain 4/5 lbs of muscle would do him the world of good. Seems like our fitness coaches/ strength conditioning staff are happy for him to be weak as piss though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguire is, as usual, dominating and babysitting Lindelof at the same time.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lindelof is shit. Still wondering why the hell did we sell Blind and got this guy.

Ace of Spades

Maguire is, as usual, dominating and babysitting Lindelof at the same time.
He is beyond frustrating. He just seems mentally weak, as I can't think that physically he is lacking. Not like Mane is Andy Carroll.

Esquire

Lindelof needs to be put on a weight gain programme, gain 4/5 lbs of muscle would do him the world of good. Seems like our fitness coaches/ strength conditioning staff are happy for him to be weak as piss though.
I was thinking actually 15. He just looks a rag doll sometimes out there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maguire quality, Lindelof soft. Same story. Hes decent enough but IMO tuanzebe will take over because he just seems like he'll be much more suited to the position in the prem.

norm87cro

Lindelof is nowhere near phisical enough for this league. I don't think he's shit but definetly not the type of defender we need week in week out. La Liga or prehaps signing for PSG would be the best for all parties

James_42

Lindelof continues to be dodgy as feck, wish we could have tried Smalling and Maguire together before offloading him

Idxomer

Somehow we replaced Blind with Lindelof who is as weak physically as him and don't have neither his intelligence nor his passing range. Also, we really shoukd've kept Smalling.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lindelof is trash. He doesn't even know how to keep goal side of the forward.

Ekeke

Lindelof has been lucky. Its not as good as skill, but if he continues to be charmed getting away with things and we get a clean sheet I guess its better than nothing

El Zoido

Lindelof isn’t cutting it. I don’t want to get too cliche in this modern, progressive, ball-playing era of centre half, but even the more high profile technically inclined CB’s such as Ramos and Pique are a decent physical presence. Any strong centre forward must relish going against Lindelof, they know he can be bullied.

Like I said from the beginning, Bailly or Tuanzebe would be better partners for Maguire.

Yakuza_devils

Lindelof should be dropped. Minimum one major mistake per game.

Tuanzebe should partner Macguire.

Superunknown

I still have hope that Lindelöf will improve and be a good long-term partner for Maguire. However, a little competition to be the centre back alongside Maguire wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If Lindelöf wants to keep his position, he's going to have to earn it. At the same time, if there are other players who think that they can take his position, they're going to have to earn it, too. As light as we are squad wise, we still need to have that competition for places. No place for complacency in the side.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Our first choice partnership still should have been Smalling and Maguire.

PaulRich

If that Barca interest in Lindlof was true it maybe good for all if it gets considered. Axel looks much the better bet as a HM partner.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I insist that Smalling would be a better partner for Maguire then Lindelof.

devilish

Agree entirely.
It makes sense really. Maguire's only flaw is his lack of pace. Smalling provides it. A Smalling-Maguire combo would

a- Lindelof is too physically weak to be left alone at the back. He will be outjumped or outmuscled. Thus we're being forced to have Maguire constantly nannying him. Smalling on the other hand would allow Maguire to move forward with the ball and act as our main ball player CB without the risk of us being caught with our pants down.
b- Smalling-Maguire would be rock solid in corners (defensively) and would pose a huge threat in the opposition box
c- Lindelof-Maguire combo has basically ruined Matic's career with United. We can't have those 3 playing together as they are too slow. Now I know that Matic is not our most favourite player. However a 3 men CM is were Pogba excels the most in.

Decomposing In Paris

Lindelof is going through a rough patch of form, but he's not a bad defender. I'm just not sure we should be first choice long term. I'm not even sure he was supposed to be first choice this season. It's quite possible Bailly next to Maguire was Plan A if we couldn't upgrade. If you look at the other CB's we were linked with they were much more similar to Bailly in terms of skillset than Lindelof.

HowYouDoin

I'm done with Lindeloff. Even at his absolute best he is just fine. Daily Blind was better. Next to a ball playing CB probably even the likes of Baily and Smalling are better, too. Tuanzebe should start from now on.

Skills

Snitch
Putting on weight still won't help him judge the flight of the ball. Maybe some contact lenses?

RedDevilSwe

Supports
Liverpool
Maguire is absolutely fine. I don’t think he’s a center back that will bring us back to a CL & PL winning team but definately an upgrade on what we had earlier.

Lindeloef looks like he’s so nervous every time somebody passes the ball to him. I don’t think he’s good enough unfortunately.

A-man

It makes sense really. Maguire's only flaw is his lack of pace. Smalling provides it. A Smalling-Maguire combo would

a- Lindelof is too physically weak to be left alone at the back. He will be outjumped or outmuscled. Thus we're being forced to have Maguire constantly nannying him. Smalling on the other hand would allow Maguire to move forward with the ball and act as our main ball player CB without the risk of us being caught with our pants down.
b- Smalling-Maguire would be rock solid in corners (defensively) and would pose a huge threat in the opposition box
c- Lindelof-Maguire combo has basically ruined Matic's career with United. We can't have those 3 playing together as they are too slow. Now I know that Matic is not our most favourite player. However a 3 men CM is were Pogba excels the most in.
Maguire has been the best player in United so far, imo. But like everybody else he has some weaknesses and pace is not the only one.

He sometimes lacks awareness of what happens around him. For ex attackers often run in behind him without him noticing it. He also doesn’t always see when he needs to cover for other players.

He often leaves his area to attack the ball with a header and that would not be possible if Lindelof didn’t cover so well for him. This strength with Maguire could not be utilised with a CB who leaves his place without evealuating the situation, such as Bailly or Rojo. He needs someone to cover a little extra for him. This is one reason why the partnership with Lindelof has been so successful.

Judas

Open to offers
Lindelof is going through a rough patch of form, but he's not a bad defender. I'm just not sure we should be first choice long term. I'm not even sure he was supposed to be first choice this season. It's quite possible Bailly next to Maguire was Plan A if we couldn't upgrade. If you look at the other CB's we were linked with they were much more similar to Bailly in terms of skillset than Lindelof.
Honestly I'd love to hear the logic behind this.

Bailly was never going to be anyones plan A except his numerous fans on here. He can't be relied upon, he's regressed in every season he's been here.

I am still at a loss to understand how people rate him so highly, there's nothing to back it up with, apart from some promise in his first season.

Bailly was never going to be anyones plan A except his numerous fans on here. He can't be relied upon, he's regressed in every season he's been here.

I am still at a loss to understand how people rate him so highly, there's nothing to back it up with, apart from some promise in his first season.
There’s no logic behind it. Bailly is a poor CB. He has no positional sense, and can’t head the ball properly. He has some pace, that’s about it - he’s brainless, and he’s likely to either injure himself or get sent off with his reckless tackling.

He’s a player who improves each week, by not playing as we are less and less likely to remember how crap he is over time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I think what he said was "quite possible". And I think it is possible because you often play a quick centre back next to slow one. Bailly is one of the quickest one out there, perfect match to cover Maguire's weakness. Still young & has time to develop. So far he hasn't been performing. However, may be he will be a different player & can learn something by playing next to a much more experienced centre back like Maguire.

Although, I put Tuanzebe over Bailly in pecking order at the moment.

Judas

Open to offers
Tuanzebe is comfortably ahead of Bailly. He's already shown more promise, and has a better injury record.

People are in love with the idea of what Bailly could be, not what he actually is. A very average player.

devilish

Maguire has been the best player in United so far, imo. But like everybody else he has some weaknesses and pace is not the only one.

He sometimes lacks awareness of what happens around him. For ex attackers often run in behind him without him noticing it. He also doesn’t always see when he needs to cover for other players.

He often leaves his area to attack the ball with a header and that would not be possible if Lindelof didn’t cover so well for him. This strength with Maguire could not be utilised with a CB who leaves his place without evealuating the situation, such as Bailly or Rojo. He needs someone to cover a little extra for him. This is one reason why the partnership with Lindelof has been so successful.
In my opinion its the lack of pace. If he's beaten then he'll struggle to recover that yard of space which is a problem. Hence why need a CB whose a defender first and a ball playing CB after.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tuanzebe is comfortably ahead of Bailly. He's already shown more promise, and has a better injury record.

People are in love with the idea of what Bailly could be, not what he actually is. A very average player.
Bit unfair that.

Bailly has put in some excellent defensive displays against some good teams (Arsenal, City, Liverpool) but then ruined them with a silly foul/injury or own goal. The guy is as mad as a box of frogs but if he can calm that down he could be a great player. Being weak aerially though is an issue in England.

Think he'll eventually go back to Spain and be a star for somebody like Valencia/Sociedad

Shimo

totally agree. I'm still confused we let him out with so much low quality CBs still at the club.
Let him go because Ole had already settled on his starting partnership of Lindelof and Maguire with Tuanezbe being the backup. Beyond that it was Jones, Bailly, Smalling and Rojo.

Jones constantly injured as such no one really was considering putting in a bid for him and Baily injured and no one really putting an offer out for him. Rojo was shopped around and the Everton deal fell through. Smalling he'd have probably kept as 4th choice but, seems like they talked and the club having so many CBs, so if they got an okay deal for 4th choice CB, they were okay with it. All in all that's not a bad thing considering there is debate on who is better than who.

Personally, I thought it was a mistake to not at least give the Smalling/Maguire partnership a try. There is no guarantee but, I do think Smalling at the back this season would have netted us more points. Not to mention he is actually also a threat in the opposition box. Right now it's oh look for Maguire and hope on almost every set piece.

It's one of those summer decisions that was made for the long term that has come to haunt us but, unlike the Lukaku and Sanchez ones, this one really didn't need to happen.

romufc

There is no guarantee but, I do think Smalling at the back this season would have netted us more points. Not to mention he is actually also a threat in the opposition box. Right now it's oh look for Maguire and hope on almost every set piece.
I totally don't get this notion. Ole has seen enough of Smalling to realise he isnt what he wanted. Smalling cannot play possession based football, he is not composed at all on the ball.

How many goals has Smalling scored that makes him a threat?

Don't forget how many penalties he could potentially concede.

How many more points would we have got? We had smalling last season and we werent better defensively.

Also our best run last season under Ole, the pairing was Lindelof and Jones.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

In preseason it genuinely looked like it was plan A. Then Bailly got injured again. I'll assume we'll sell him at a cut price come summer.

andy dufresne

Maguire and Lindelof are both ok and lets be honest here without looking through red tinted spectacles neither of them are world class or even close to being great players. I look at Lindelof and for me,he has a mistake or two in him in every single match, Maguire is more steady and I guess you could say reliable however he does lack pace and I don't sense he has that overwhelming drive and determination to be the best and to fly out of his position to try and block a shot at all costs if you know what I mean.I think of our top class defenders in recent times both Jaap Stam and Nemanaja Vidic had that about them.Looking at the best Premiership defenders from other clubs,the likes of John Terry and Vincent Kompany had to too