Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Could have been a penalty when Lindelof headed Wolverhampton player head in penalty box. Then Maguire ball watching for their disallowed goal.
I was about to say I've never seen a penalty being given for that, but I do recall seeing that once actually although I can't remember the game. So, I think it is more than silly for a ref to give a penalty for it, highly unlikely, even if Lindelof did do kind of a weird manoeuvre there.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I was about to say I've never seen a penalty being given for that, but I do recall seeing that once actually although I can't remember the game. So, I think it is more than silly for a ref to give a penalty for it, highly unlikely, even if Lindelof did do kind of a weird manoeuvre there.
Didn't know that. So players can just do that without considered as a foul in penalty box? Liverpool did get a disallowed goal with lesser offense to their centerback.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Didn't know that. So players can just do that without considered as a foul in penalty box? Liverpool did get a disallowed goal with lesser offense to their centerback.
I'm not sure. You do automatically imagine that a player wont purposefully go in with his head just to foul a player. It hurts. So every duel is a fair game where accidents tends to happen and they usually effect both players. Not sure it is an official rule, but common sense really. If a player like Suarez or Ramos did it then maybe the ref would give it, seeing as the classic one where Zidane did it gives a clear red. It is all about intention in this game, and of course narratives. The fecking narratives.

SoCross

Dunno, it’s nice to see them stepping out from defence and bringing the ball forward, looking for purposeful passes. Doesn’t always work but if the rest of the team evolves and if we get a proper defensive minded midfielder, there’s much to like about the both of them.

Need to improve on setpieces though!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm not sure. You do automatically imagine that a player wont purposefully go in with his head just to foul a player. It hurts. So every duel is a fair game where accidents tends to happen and they usually effect both players. Not sure it is an official rule, but common sense really. If a player like Suarez or Ramos did it then maybe the ref would give it, seeing as the classic one where Zidane did it gives a clear red. It is all about intention in this game, and of course narratives. The fecking narratives.
I think it was a foul... I mean, if two players go to kick the ball and player A kicks it making player B miss the ball and kick player A, that would be a foul everyday.

Should be no reason why it's any different with heading

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think it was a foul... I mean, if two players go to kick the ball and player A kicks it making player B miss the ball and kick player A, that would be a foul everyday.

Should be no reason why it's any different with heading
I get the point, but I do think it is a bit harsh. Most situations will be accidents with the heading player at risk as well. You have to be careful with the head. It is like when Jones or anyone put their head in a dangerous situation, to block a low shot or something.. it should be a foul because you make the other player stop his move to protect the safety of another players head. It is some weird situations we're talking about here, you only see it once in a while.

Lindelof is not very brave, so he closed his eyes and headed the other player in his back instead of really challenging fairly, so yeah either way would be fine. It is just not something you see everyday so if you don't give free kicks for those and call it an accident no major complaints from me. The exception would be when excessive force is used, then it doesn't matter which part you hurt the player with.

Utd7

Why aren’t we considering bringing back Mike Smalling? At the minimum he can serve as adequate competition/cover for Lindelof/Maguire.

Ekeke

Why aren’t we considering bringing back Mike Smalling? At the minimum he can serve as adequate competition/cover for Lindelof/Maguire.
Perhaps that isnt his best offer right now.

He has his team in the top 4 and champions league spots. Hes more likely to be in the competition than we are at this point

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If Ole guarantees him a starting spot, I think he'd comeback. Although it's not fair to AS Roma, pulling out their best centerback in the mid- season when on course to get CL spot.

Utd7

If Ole guarantees him a starting spot, I think he'd comeback. Although it's not fair to AS Roma, pulling out their best centerback in the mid- season when on course to get CL spot.
To clarify I meant at the end of the season. Not pulling him out mid loan. We shouldn’t just allow Roma to sign him permanently

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The Wolves player jumped higher than Lindelof cause he was trying to chest the ball, not head it. Lindelof went in with his eyes shut it seems. Needs to be a bit more aware I feel.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
To clarify I meant at the end of the season. Not pulling him out mid loan. We shouldn’t just allow Roma to sign him permanently
I'd like to think, Ole doesn't want to go against the player wishes. In Fergie's era, we sold players mostly for dirt cheap, so they had more leeway on choosing their clubs. It's some kind of reward, especially for the Club faithful servant like Smalling.

But who knows. If we're moving up in the League and win some trophies this season, we might be a more attractive option even as squad player.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't think a penalty would have been upheld by VAR

Bestietom

This partnership is just not working. No understanding between them. They need to talk to each other during games with one attacking the ball while the other waits for it to break. The 2 going for the same, is getting them caught out all the time.

Irwin99

Thought they were good today but I realised when Maguire was hobbling that we're a centre back injury away from things getting really bad. Rojo and Bailly have horrendous injury records and can't be trusted, Axel is getting a few knocks and hasn't had a big run of games and we also have Phil Jones on our books. That is grim as hell.. We need these two to stay fit for the entire season otherwise we could be in big trouble.
Harry is now out for a few weeks. We could be in big trouble :nervous:

Feck the planning for this season. It's been shambolic.

Lentwood

Never mind £80m, Lindelof and Jones made Maguire look like a £180m defender last night

I once wrote a long rant about how Lindelof would never, ever in a million years make a Man Utd defender and I briefly feared for the first time ever I had got something wrong about football

Im now more convinced more than ever i was right. He’s relatively good on the ball and OK when the ball is being zipped around on the deck (usually) but he is so weak in the air and in duels that everything else becomes redundant

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Season is going to come down to Europa League or bust. We might have most of our players back by then. Certainly Pogba, Maguire will be. Mctomminay might be back if we progress through to later rounds.

We won't finish 4th. Just not good enough and injuries are going to cost us a lot of PTS in January n February.

League cup we are almost out.

FA Cup replay going to be tough without Maguire and no midfield again. Could easily lose that one.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Never mind £80m, Lindelof and Jones made Maguire look like a £180m defender last night

I once wrote a long rant about how Lindelof would never, ever in a million years make a Man Utd defender and I briefly feared for the first time ever I had got something wrong about football

Im now more convinced more than ever i was right. He’s relatively good on the ball and OK when the ball is being zipped around on the deck (usually) but he is so weak in the air and in duels that everything else becomes redundant
He has to be the worst regular first choice centre back we've had in the last 30 years. We're never going to build a decent side with him at the back.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Harry Maguire: Manchester United defender out with hip injury
No confirmation from Manchester United on a return date for England international; recalling Chris Smalling from loan spell at Roma not an option for Solskjaer

https://www.skysports.com/football/...anchester-united-defender-out-with-hip-injury

I still do not understand why Maguire needed to play in an FA cup game, when we knew that his injury meant we would have no quality CB left. But what I will never understand is - once he started limping, how was he allowed to finish the game off. Who knows how much additional injury that hip got due to that. Who is our physio and what were they thinking?

You can say whatever you want about Maguire (e.g. that he didn't live up to the price tag) but it will be much worse without him. Plus Tuanzebe is also out on injury.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
https://www.skysports.com/football/...anchester-united-defender-out-with-hip-injury

I still do not understand why Maguire needed to play in an FA cup game, when we knew that his injury meant we would have no quality CB left. But what I will never understand is - once he started limping, how was he allowed to finish the game off. Who knows how much additional injury that hip got due to that. Who is our physio and what were they thinking?

You can say whatever you want about Maguire (e.g. that he didn't live up to the price tag) but it will be much worse without him. Plus Tuanzebe is also out on injury.
Because Jones is just so bad, is that not a reasonable reason? Ole hadn't played him since his Sheffield's game until he had no option left against City.

Bobski

That might be the easiest game they will have all season, at least in the league.

Oliver_

I hope Bailly stays fit for once and gets a decent run of games. I really think him and Maguire could be a great partnership.
Maguire winning the headers and leading the back line and Bailly doing the dirty work. similar to Rio and Nemanja...

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
A lot of people hoping for a Bailly Maguire partnership. I think that's just as shit as a Lindelof Maguire partnership. Bailly is positionally awful and can't head the ball. I want to see a Tuanzebe Maguire partnership.

Denis79

I hope Bailly stays fit for once and gets a decent run of games. I really think him and Maguire could be a great partnership.
Maguire winning the headers and leading the back line and Bailly doing the dirty work. similar to Rio and Nemanja...
On a couple of occasions Bailly has had those games he looks so good that you think he'll turn out world-class but his injury record makes him so inconsistent, sadly I believe we just have another Jones in him. It's sad because I love his courage and no nonsense way of defending.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I really want another CB this window - but I can't stand these two as a partnership. We are one injury away from being back to guess work.

Oliver_

I really want another CB this window - but I can't stand these two as a partnership. We are one injury away from being back to guess work.
Maybe Tuanzebe can be that "new" CB?
He looked decent in almost every game he was involved.

An all english and young back four for years to come would be fantastic:cool:

Williams-Maguire-Tuanzebe-AWB

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Enter.. Smalldini
I wish I could atleast see him and maguire for one match even for England to atleast have doubts about those two but I don't so know its just irritating that he left.

I even have doubts about Tuenzebe unfortunately as a CB even though he may be better than Lindelof defensively. He looks a bit shaky at times.

I'd rather we sell Jones & just buy rice & put him back at RCB next to maguire or something because I really want a good young english/British CB at the club & I am jealous of Liverpool who seem to have have got Joe Gomes & is doing really well. We then have a player who can play CB and cover cdm as well but I know the guy isn't very rated here though I've heard he was rescouted by us recently.

Bestietom

A lot of people hoping for a Bailly Maguire partnership. I think that's just as shit as a Lindelof Maguire partnership. Bailly is positionally awful and can't head the ball. I want to see a Tuanzebe Maguire partnership.
I would still like to see Milenkovic here.

Judas

Open to offers
Bailly next to Maguire would be even worse than what we currently have, I shudder at the thought of it.

It seems that some will have faith and belief in Bailly until the bitter end, no matter how many terrible performances he puts in, and how many many months he misses through injury.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Also @GifLord can you gif their cancelled goal for Lindelof's amazing passing and Maguire's block "attempt" for Mane's shot.

Renegade

Games like this make you realise how silly that “dribbled past” stat is for Lindelof. No one needs to dribble past hi because he gives them so much space by standing off without challenge or being no where near completely.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They're average centre backs and hence an average partnership.

Lindelof is a non defending centre back. His entire duty appears to merely be to blocks space rather than opponents. Also has little physicality to speak of and that of an AM rather than a centre back.

Maguire on the other hand is a little better and more physicality imposing but that's about it. He's always struck me as good but nothing special at all. Someone who suits a club like Leicester. And we spent 80 million on this fellow. Madness.

The_Midfielder

They're average centre backs and hence an average partnership.

Lindelof is a non defending centre back. His entire duty appears to merely be to blocks space rather than opponents. Also has little physicality to speak of and that of an AM rather than a centre back.

Maguire on the other hand is a little better and more physicality imposing but that's about it. He's always struck me as good but nothing special at all. Someone who suits a club like Leicester. And we spent 80 million on this fellow. Madness.
Maguire is not average..