Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

bsCallout

I fully agree about GK, but DM is harder to proove. You can't expect one defensive mid to intercept everuthing, so from time to time our CBs will be exposed to race with a strong forward - and they will struggle. Same applies for aerial duels as far as Lindelof is concerned.

BTW you offered to go through goals we've conceded this season to see how many were GK mistakes/ not enough cover in midfield. I'd be interested to see that.
I will do that and come back to you.

Off the top of my head, SU second goal and Everton first and third goal. All dealt with by a dominant GK. Leicester Barnes goal would likely be prevented by a proper CDM too.

A CDM helps massively in preventing the through balls, preventing runners and finally being able to fill in when a CB is drawn out. The CBs still have lots to do but the CDM closes the gaps and it makes a big difference.

Ekeke

They've performed individually worse because they don't have a proper GK or CDM. Rio and Vidic had VDS behind them and either Carrick or Fletcher in front. It makes a huge difference.

I don't actually think they've been individually worse but the even if they had.

Half the problems our CBs are exposed to are snuffed out by a proper CDM or GK.
No, they've performed individually worse because they get caught on the ball, individually play an Everton player onside for 2 goals, have a lack of aggression at confronting a player controlling the ball inside the box and scoring, arent good at defending set pieces and so on. It has nothing to do with other players. They have not been good individually.

None of Liverpool's CBs are individually playing a striker onside for 2 goals in a match and the rest of the team arent going to stop it happening if they do.

bsCallout

No, they've performed individually worse because they get caught on the ball, individually play an Everton player onside for 2 goals, have a lack of aggression at confronting a player controlling the ball inside the box and scoring, arent good at defending set pieces and so on. It has nothing to do with other players. They have not been good individually.

None of Liverpool's CBs are individually playing a striker onside for 2 goals in a match and the rest of the team arent going to stop it happening if they do.
A GK prevents those balls over the top and wins them, being quick off the line.

And what two goals are you talking about? Only one of them was because of being played onside, the third one, where DDG could have helped his defence.

The closing down in the box? You mean the gap left by a lack of a CDM? See James goal, where is Fred? A CDM defends that.

Wayne's World

Woke up this morning still fuming over these two idiots. We desperately and I mean desperately need to have a CB signed as soon as the summer transfer window opens. Maguire and Lindelof have had chance after chance and having 1 good game in 10 is not good enough for a team even challenging.

Blame De Gea, but he's done more and has more to give then these two clowns in front of him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I will do that and come back to you.

Off the top of my head, SU second goal and Everton first and third goal. All dealt with by a dominant GK. Leicester Barnes goal would likely be prevented by a proper CDM too.

A CDM helps massively in preventing the through balls, preventing runners and finally being able to fill in when a CB is drawn out. The CBs still have lots to do but the CDM closes the gaps and it makes a big difference.
Feel free to post it in the Stats Thread as well.

Hawks2008

Both are for the bin but we spent 80m on maguire and gave him captaincy so we're stuck with him, hopefully we can find a competent defender to babysit him.

bsCallout

Woke up this morning still fuming over these two idiots. We desperately and I mean desperately need to have a CB signed as soon as the summer transfer window opens. Maguire and Lindelof have had chance after chance and having 1 good game in 10 is not good enough for a team even challenging.

Blame De Gea, but he's done more and has more to give then these two clowns in front of him.
No chance. DDG is as much at fault for our defensive frailties as anyone. No keeper in the league helps his defence less, his face is next to 'passive' in the dictionary.

City have Ederson and Rodrigo/Fernandinho either side.

Liverpool have Allison and Fabihno/Henderson either side.

We have DDG and Fred or Matic :lol:

Bobski

Lindelof doesn't bring anything exceptional to the game, he could be swapped out with any number of CB's around Europe with minimal impact on the team performance.

Not a bad player, just not a difference maker.

Maguire we are stuck trying to make work, but he is only going to get slower and less mobile.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Just doesn’t work at all. They do not project confidence and it gives teams hope. Their faces when we concede as well are so irritating.

MattyB1986

Ferguson used to say, "attack wins you games, defence wins you titles" - We'll never win the title with this partnership.

Ekeke

And what two goals are you talking about? Only one of them was because of being played onside, the third one, where DDG could have helped his defence.

The closing down in the box? You mean the gap left by a lack of a CDM? See James goal, where is Fred? A CDM defends that.
Watch again :houllier:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Who's playing who onside here?

Why'd he go for the ball here, Arry?

Our captain, our captain

His leadership at commanding our defence - priceless

:annoyed:

redshaw

Always been a bit iffy the partnership. Individually they're quite good defenders and Lindelof has had some good seasons.

Bailly seems to be the best alongside Maguire but we've seen little to really judge and the biggest problem is Bailly was not even on the bench last night. He's too fecking injury prone while Maguire is playing every game. We need able bodied fast CB to partner Maguire who can at least play the majority, not even asking for Maguire type resilience but christ on a fecking bike we have too many defenders made of glass.

A more commanding keeper like Romero could help Lindelof and Maguire, there's a lot to be desired from our defensive set up. Henderson is quite small. has been similarly error prone.

Getting sick of this needing to score 3 or 4 goals to counter 2 or 3 goals let in by comical defending

Last edited:

bsCallout

Our captain, our captain

So they are all in a line on the first.

He calls the header and Lindelof still goes for it, had he left it then Maguire clears it.

The only one I'll give you is the last goal but DDG should clear that up, if he was any good.

Lee565

Honestly when both were actually fit at the same time smalling and jones were a better partnership than these two dopey sloths.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That flop on the floor, and the desperate look at the referee to save his embarrassment :houllier:

Sums the guy up

bsCallout

Our captain, our captain

Oh and you show the one where he is fouled AND shaw is on the edge of their box for no reason so he doesn't have that passing option. Seriously?

Fluctuation0161

Maguire is so slow. It will always be a weakness. His composure also seems to fluctuate. He is not captain material. Maybe alongside a world class pacey CB he can work well. But I'm starting to suspect, if we ever have have title winning team, Maguire will be 3rd choice CB with 2 new CB signings.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
So they are all in a line on the first.

He calls the header and Lindelof still goes for it, had he left it then Maguire clears it.

The only one I'll give you is the last goal but DDG should clear that up, if he was any good.
Sure

It's never Arry's fault by your logic

RedIan

Time to make Bruno captain and let his hand a few rockets out to slackers. Maguire is not a Leader imo.

if only Eric could stay fit, Eric/Maguire looks a far better partnership when the opposition has a little pace upfront.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As I said in another thread, they haven't been as bad as some are making out.

We conceded 11 goals in the first three league games of the season when our players were obviously behind on their preseason (nobodies fault) and a very open midfield with Pogba seemingly not recovered from Covid (this is Ole's fault for picking that team). We've conceded 19 in the next 20 matches. Ignore those first three games (not something that you should normally do but these were unique situations) and we're conceding at about the same rate or better than all the other teams up near the top, with only City actually being better.

That doesn't mean our defence couldn't be improved, it obviously could be. But it's not as bad as some seem to think.

dablem_10

Still disgusted and sad after yesterday. Unbelievable how stupid goals we conceded. I know Harry here is more favourable to Victor and we trying to find excuses all the time (). Play him with somebody else than Lidoelef, quicker CB. But its not Victor who pulled us down yesterday. Its not Harrys pace. Its Harrys reaction time and positioning, at least yesterday. First and second are his ordinary solving of situation. How top CB can have strikers on his blind side so often. How its always took him everything half second more? He should be good at least aerially, he is leader, he is captain. How is possible we concede so many stupid goals from set piece? On other hand i dont get racist abuse on Axel. How these people call themselve fans or supporters? What does it have with football? Im disgusted twice.

Fluctuation0161

We need to go out and buy 2 new CB's to form a 1st choice partnership so then we can finally consign Laurel & Hardy as back-ups.
Sadly, I am beginning to think this is the case. I had hope for Maguire, at least, but he is very slow and following his Summer antics alone, should not be captain.

quirkey

In fairness I don’t think anyone could argue that in a “normal” market, we would like to see upgrades in 4 of the back 5. A right back who can do both parts required of his role (i.e. pass the ball and not just make impressive looking last ditch tackles), two centre halves with pace and who will take responsibility and a goalkeeper who will come off his line and give confidence to the players in front of him.
Maybe with a commanding keeper Maguire might improve but I can’t see Lindelof lasting much longer.

FujiVice

Like putting salt on corn flakes having these two together. Whatever strengths either of them have, they dont compliment each other at all. And we've seen it time and time again.

Yakuza_devils

It's criminal how much we have spent on Maguire, AWB, Shaw and DDG (highest paid GK in the world by far) and we had conceded 2 goals vs Sheffield and 3 goals vs Everton at fecking Old Trafford. And all the goals were very soft goals. It's disgraceful.

We can't keep spending. I'm pretty sure we have good defenders in there. The manager and coaches need to look into the tactics too.

The obvious thing to do is to get a CB who is fast, proactive, strong in the air to partner the slow Maguire. Lindelof is not the one as he is worse than Maguire in almost every department.

TheMitz

I think neither of them are too class centre backs, but put then together and it highlights both of their deficiencies, especially the lack of pace. I'm sure if either of them had someone with pace alongside it would improve their confidence and we'd see an improvement.

Mohbah88

We will never win anything with these two I dnt know how come the club can’t see it is so obvious

Hammondo

The striker is keeping in line with Maguire, if Maguire steps up there the striker has so much space in behind to go at goal.
He's keeping him onside, nothing else really matters in that situation as being offside ends his attack.