Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

luke511

Comfortable or what. Had no problems holding onto possession between them and playing out from the back.

freeurmind

weak willed
They looked fine. Some worrying moments especially when Chelsea overloaded but it was good to see Maguire being so vocal and taking charge of situations. Long may it continue.

L1nk

The first half was tetchy but I think that had more to do with the gaping holes our non existent midfield left for Chelsea, once it all settled down they commanded well and did everything right I thought, no signs of being extremely slow or anything that people were worried about.

wr8_utd

:'(
Magulof were pretty good but they'll be up against better forwards than what they faced today.

Denis79

Our defence needed a leader like Maguire, it's so obvious now. Very good good game from both of them.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's early days but everyone thought it was possible they could strike up a top partnership and it's almost weird to see (potentially) come true. Hopefully it continues.

The United

They looked fine. Some worrying moments especially when Chelsea overloaded but it was good to see Maguire being so vocal and taking charge of situations. Long may it continue.
It had something to do with the midfield not covering well. The defense itself is pretty good so far. They will improve more obviously.

dove

They were good, this partnership has a lot of potential. The only worry is midfield which was bypassed very easily by Chelsea, especially in the first half. If we finally sign some decent midfielders we will be fine.

pablo__p

Very impressed by big Harry.
Linde strikes me as someone thriving on playing next to a world class player as opposed to leading the defense.

Extremely happy about the clean sheet.

AFC NimbleThumb

Lindelof will mess up soon enough & Axel will hopefully displace.

Victor is the archetypal front runner.

He looks like a Rolls Royce when the games in front of him but he’ll soon turn his back on a cross or lose his head when a player turns him.

Maguire on the other hand looked :drool: First game & all but looked very good.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think we're gonna feel a massive difference because of this throughout the season.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Finally no more Smalling and Jones. Tuanzebe looks good in pre-season as well so he should have no problem covering for the main cb
I'd be hugely surprised if we don't see a fair bit of them this season. With cups and Europa League, we could be playing 60+ games. Ole seems to like Jones when he's fit, and Smalling is generally fit most of the time. I'd imagine the 2nd choice pair will be Tuanzebe plus one of Jones and Smalling.

I think it's Rojo and Bailly we won't see much of if anyone.

Hawks2008

Good start and can only get better the more they play together and build that understanding and chemistry. A dagger to the heart of Smalling fanboys. Wish they had some better protection from midfield though.

lawliet354

I'd be hugely surprised if we don't see a fair bit of them this season. With cups and Europa League, we could be playing 60+ games. Ole seems to like Jones when he's fit, and Smalling is generally fit most of the time. I'd imagine the 2nd choice pair will be Tuanzebe plus one of Jones and Smalling.

I think it's Rojo and Bailly we won't see much of if anyone.
Well I think they will have couple of appearances this season. But if this Maguire-lindelof partership continues to grow I really can't see future for Rojo, Smalling, Baily, Jones. None of them are dependable enough, even for a cover

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
You can sense that there is a bit more trust between them.

Put Chris "hot potato" Smalling in there and he puts doubt in his teammates' minds.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Maguire said himself he didn't train all of the week before he moved to United so he's lacking a bit in terms of fitness. Great start for them considering that and they'll only improve as they gain that familiarity with each other.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Looked supremely comfortable. Both of them were really aggressive in the first tackle, just need midfield to do the same.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Well I think they will have couple of appearances this season. But if this Maguire-lindelof partership continues to grow I really can't see future for Rojo, Smalling, Baily, Jones. None of them are dependable enough, even for a cover
At least for this season, I'd be happy with Tuanzebe and Smalling as the 2nd choice pair in the EL group games and League Cup. Smalling is limited but dependable certainly when it comes to availability. I don't think any of Rojo, Bailly, Jones and Smalling will be here beyond next summer, though I think we'll struggle to sell any of them except Smalling.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I like it. As many people said in the match thread Maguire coming in doesn't just improve one position, it can help to bring better out of Lindelof too. I look forward to seeing how their partnership develops.

Revan

Assumptionman
At least for this season, I'd be happy with Tuanzebe and Smalling as the 2nd choice pair in the EL group games and League Cup. Smalling is limited but dependable certainly when it comes to availability. I don't think any of Rojo, Bailly, Jones and Smalling will be here beyond next summer, though I think we'll struggle to sell any of them except Smalling.
With the way how Ole wants us to play (and the preseason minutes), I think that Jones is higher in the pecking order compared to Smalling. Jones if no. 4 with Smalling being No. 5 (though Rojo played more than him in preseason). Despite that Smalling is a decent defender, his inability of passing when under pressure is the end of his United career.

Classical Mechanic

Think Ax will supersede Lindelof, he has a weakness with heading but is rapid so we'd be able to push up the pitch further and not have that chasm in midfield we saw today.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
For some reason Lindelof didn’t fill me with confidence, maybe it’s because he’s a little smaller. He’s clearly a good defender though.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The most comfortable I have been watching United with the ball in the back since Rio and Vidic played it between each other.

Truly nothing is underrated as much as two CBs that are comfortable on the ball

BlackBen

More of the same please. Both were very impressive after a little shaky start today, let's hope they stay injury free.

Ace of Spades

They were very good, just need to tighten up in midfield and need to stop crosses from the left.

LJJT

Maguire + any one is just the way to go. Absolutely amazing today. £80m was cheap for Maguire