Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

hocane

Tuanzebe will displace Lindelof IMO. Been saying it for two years now and I'm not gonna change my mind now that Axel is 3rd choice and positioned to make a real go of it.

Maguire and Tuanzebe longterm IMO.
100 %.
Tuanzebe's pace and athleticism will work great with Maguire. Kind of like the Rio and Vidic partnership.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If Tuanzebe is that good, and fast too, is it worth putting Lindelof in front of the back 4? He has played there before and it would tighten things up in the middle of the park.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
At this moment I'd take anything with a pinch of salt, for now at least.

We've had this similar thread on "Put any combo we've had in the past". Blind Smailing, Jones Smailing (it's still even on the front page), Bailly Lindelof, Evans Jones, etc. Take it one game at a time, it's only one game. I remember bailly was lauded as the next sliced bread in his first 5 games.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If Tuanzebe is that good, and fast too, is it worth putting Lindelof in front of the back 4? He has played there before and it would tighten things up in the middle of the park.
Might as well play 3 at the back and two in midfield without breaking up a good partnership. That way all 3 center backs will have opportunities to push forward depending on the situation and where the press is coming from.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's best to keep it the way it is for now. Axel will benefit from being brought in gradually. Our midfield is a bigger concern and hopefully Ole and McKenna can come up with a solution to our problems from personnel within the club. A few injuries to a couple of midfielders and we might see Garner thrust into action ala Rashford.

Nialinho

I wasn't confident in this partnership at all with it's lack of pace and like many thought Tuanzebe could take Lindelof's place at some point this season. But what a start.. Lindelof was just as good if not better than Harry! I think all you statisticians are getting too caught up with the numbers, if you watched the game I don't know how you couldn't be impressed with Lindelof. Don't think now is the time to be talking about him being replaced. You can only push up/play out from defence so much against a side like Chelsea, especially considering we don't have a proper DM who can take the ball on the half turn from deep. Until we sign a top class player in that position, we won't be able to play out from the back in a City-esq fashion. Vic stepped up last year and alongside a commanding leader like Slabhead he looks capable of stepping up another level this year.

Mr PG

Yes Tuanzebe definitely >lindeleof for me. Lindeleof is too weak in the air. When he gets a chance he will be hard to dislodge.

TRUERED89

At this moment I'd take anything with a pinch of salt, for now at least.

We've had this similar thread on "Put any combo we've had in the past". Blind Smailing, Jones Smailing (it's still even on the front page), Bailly Lindelof, Evans Jones, etc. Take it one game at a time, it's only one game. I remember bailly was lauded as the next sliced bread in his first 5 games.
Baily was new to the PL, we already know Maguire is a classy, experienced PL player who is also England's number 1 CB. Very different imo, with Lindelöf arguably being our best player last season putting those two together now could be the start of something very formidable!

Red_toad

1 game they looked ok as a pair. Made easy by Chelsea playing a big lump up front. AWB certainly helped Lindelof out on his side.
Much sterner tests to come this season. Be interesting how they get on.

Last edited:

Nialinho

Yes Tuanzebe definitely >lindeleof for me. Lindeleof is too weak in the air. When he gets a chance he will be hard to dislodge.
Tuanzebe is hardly a beast in the air. Did you watch the game? Lindelof was awesome. I don't understand some of these opinions :houllier:

1 game they looked ok as a pair. Made easy but Chelsea playing a big lump up front. AWB certainly helped Lindelof out on his side.
Much sterner tests to come this season. Be interesting how they get on.
I don't remember a moment as such were AWB needed to step in for Lindelof? Abraham is hardly a lump, but will need time to adjust to the Premier League.

nainaisson

Lindelof is integral to the way we're playing this season. Based on what I've seen of him in pre-season, Tuanzebe doesn't have the calmness on the ball and range of passing required to dislodge Lindelof from the starting lineup anytime soon.

Lindelof is integral to the way we're playing this season. Based on what I've seen of him in pre-season, Tuanzebe doesn't have the calmness on the ball and range of passing required to dislodge Lindelof from the starting lineup anytime soon.
He has all of those things.

Meep

This thread quickly grew into something really strange... A lot of strong opinions on Tuanzebe based on what? A championship season? I think it's great that we have the Tuanzebe option and the competition in the squad, but this partnership has just started, and I hope that long may it reign!

Red_toad

Maybe he does, but he never seemed as comfortable in the role as Lindelof in pre-season. I've never seen him play for Aston Villa, though, so I don't claim to be an expert on Tuanzebe.
Odd that you state he lacks certain attributes, then claim to not having watched much of him :lol:

Red_toad

This thread quickly grew into something really strange... A lot of strong opinions on Tuanzebe based on what? A championship season? I think it's great that we have the Tuanzebe option and the competition in the squad, but this partnership has just started, and I hope that long may it reign!
Tuanzebe played under Van Gaal and was very good, he was also very good at Villa and very good pre season. Seems to be a lot of fans who don’t know much about him giving their opinion on him.

Tuanzebe played under Van Gaal and was very good, he was also very good at Villa and very good pre season. Seems to be a lot of fans who don’t know much about him giving their opinion on him.
Exactly what's happening tbh

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What I find more bizzare is posters suggesting we should already dislodge a partnership when we've played one game :lol:

Red4Life_#7

Yes I think we will see a bit of that this season. A back 5 with Lindelof going into the midfield when we have the ball and dropping into a 5 without it.

Tuanezbe is very good on the ball and pretty rapid, he seems to defend well too, but I need to see more of him, only seen him in our pre-season matches over the years.

Also the fact that he was on the bench instead of smalling and Jones against Chelsea says a lot.

Nialinho

I rate Tuanzebe highly but why has he become the main subject in this thread after a very encouraging start to the Lindelof-Maguire partnership? :lol:

Like I said I backed Tuanzebe to take Vic's place this season but after looking class in a 4-0 win against Chelsea it's just very weird to push that agenda.

A-man

Don't mean to show any disrespect to what Tuanzebe has accomplished and I have liked the few minutes I have seen from him. But. It is easy to be calm with the ball for a CB in the championship. There is very little pressure on the ball holder. In contrast, in the PL there is often very intense pressure on the 4 at the back. I would even go so far and say this is why English teams have been so successful I Europe last year.

cyberman

I rate Tuanzebe highly but why has he become the main subject in this thread after a very encouraging start to the Lindelof-Maguire partnership? :lol:

Like I said I backed Tuanzebe to take Vic's place this season but after looking class in a 4-0 win against Chelsea it's just very weird to push that agenda.
Our fanbase has a habit of being too clever for its own good. It doesnt matter how good we are perforning, the better option is always on the bench.

I must say I do agree with our resident youth expert @jb8521 on what he's saying in this tweet.

For all the talk of Maguire being slow, is he? Because he doesn't look it to me, never has and Pep and Johnny Evans have both had their say on Maguire these past weeks.

Pep:
He's strong in the air, good with the ball, he can drive with the ball and he's so fast.
Evans:
Harry has got explosive pace people don't see. He is powerful and good in the air.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For all the talk of Maguire being slow, is he? Because he doesn't look it to me, never has and Pep and Johnny Evans have both had their say on Maguire these past weeks.

Pep:

Evans:
From what I've seen of him it appears he's slow on the turn. He might have better acceleration when he's chasing though.

A-man

Odd that you state he lacks certain attributes, then claim to not having watched much of him :lol:
Same apply both ways. Nobody has seen much of him at this level, yet many are sure he's better than Lindelof.

United Hobbit

I said on Maguire's performance thread that as long as he keeps going how he performed yesterday he will be excellent to be used along Tuanzebe to help guide his introduction to the team as you can visualise him helping Tuanzebe out/ talking to him if needed and inspiring confidence in him something the likes of Jones etc wouldn't have been able to do, he also looks like he would be aware enough to cover for him going out of position which as a younger player coming through he may well do

Probably Lindelof could draw confidence from someone commanding and competent next to him. His usual partners somewhat lacked that trait. I'd love to see them become a great partnership. It would be nice to have a settled partnership at the back as well

Last edited:

Amir

Indeed. Do you remember the successful partnership we had going for a while a few years ago, that people thought was the future? It was made of Rojo and Jones!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
But wait wait, @UnrelatedPsuedo says I'm being petty.
It’s a daft distinction. He’s an accomplished winger, over and above most full backs.

He played all but the last 18 months as a forward player.

The inference was clearly that he has some attacking chops.

Nobody was suggesting he’s a premier league winger.

So yes. You were being petty.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
From what I’ve seen in this thread, Axel is being overhyped. He has it all to prove, and was not all that in preseason to me. I know we think all of our academy players are better than their senior counterparts at the minute, but there is no basis for Axel to be in the team ahead of Victor at the moment. He’s certainly got talent, but hasn’t necessarily been playing at some level where he is demanding that he be a first XI player at United. Let him grow, he’s exactly where he needs to be in the pecking order at the moment.

::sonny::

They are perfect, they remind me a bit of Samuel and Cordoba at Inter

Maguire next cpt

Adcuth

Shaw didn't look too good today, needs to step up his game before Young is considered at LB instead.
I think he needs competition for his place to keep him on the ball. He's almost guaranteed to start and that can build complacency

Foxbatt

Tuanzabe has not played in top football for any length of time. Lindeof is a proven defender for his clubs and his country. Let Azel get his career going before we start to put them on regularly. He will get his chance to show what he can do and if he proves he is better than Lindelof then he will get his chance.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We've got our best CB pairing in years and already some people want something else. Lindelof and Maguire both looked really comfortable together on Sunday and are young enough to stick together for years to come. Axel wasn't even the best defender in the championship so let him earn it in some cup games. We should stick with Lindelof and Maguire for a good length of time and finally feel settled at the back.

mancan92

The next match will be a real test for them. They will be playing against 2 very mobile strikers who make clever runs and can dribble.
Jimenez and jota are a whole different kind of proposition.