Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

luke511

I think he needs competition for his place to keep him on the ball. He's almost guaranteed to start and that can build complacency
Yeah, hopefully we'll see Brandon Williams given a chance there at some point in the season.

Adcuth

From what I've seen of him it appears he's slow on the turn. He might have better acceleration when he's chasing though.
His pace is quite good, noticed that he didn't seem to be at full pelt to keep up with Pedro. Off the mark it probs my takes him a bit to get going, so if he's turned sharply it could be a problem. But having a quick wing back to cover him, plus his own awareness should limit too many problems

mancan92

Honestly what we played against in terms of chelsea is exactly what they would want. Big strong forward with wide attackers. Next game will give us a proper idea of whether they will be a decent pairing.

It's best to keep it the way it is for now. Axel will benefit from being brought in gradually. Our midfield is a bigger concern and hopefully Ole and McKenna can come up with a solution to our problems from personnel within the club. A few injuries to a couple of midfielders and we might see Garner thrust into action ala Rashford.
This!

Tuanzebe will get enough chances through injury/ suspension. If he shows/proves that he is good enough to take Lindelof’s place then that will be the time consider shifting Lindelof to DM.

RedDevilRoshi

Take it one game at a time before beginning to get excited. Yes, they were really impressive together as a CB pairing considering they never played a competitive game together before. It’s definitely got potential but let’s see what happens.

So far, so good

A-man

It's been one game. Calm down.
It's been only one game, true. Playing well in one game well doesn't automatically mean they are a great solution. We need another 10-15 matches before we know that.

On the other hand, they seemed to work well together and understand eachother already in their first match, that's a good sign.

Also, we saw a calmness at the back we haven't seen in a long time. We don't know if they always will play calmly like that, but now we know they have the capability. That is also a good thing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From what I’ve seen in this thread, Axel is being overhyped. He has it all to prove, and was not all that in preseason to me. I know we think all of our academy players are better than their senior counterparts at the minute, but there is no basis for Axel to be in the team ahead of Victor at the moment. He’s certainly got talent, but hasn’t necessarily been playing at some level where he is demanding that he be a first XI player at United. Let him grow, he’s exactly where he needs to be in the pecking order at the moment.
I don't think anyone is overhyping Axel at all. But afew like myself do think he has higher potential than Victor Lindelof due to what I've already mentioned.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For all the talk of Maguire being slow, is he? Because he doesn't look it to me, never has and Pep and Johnny Evans have both had their say on Maguire these past weeks.

Pep:

Evans:
He's not slow and I've even said in the past few weeks that he's quicker than Lindelof. But he isn't fast and that is easy to see with ones own eyes.

Shimo

If anyone can be bothered, go back and look at post match opening day last season. Baily / Lindelof- our CB was going to be immense because they had a good game together.

Though at least this time it very well could be the definitive partnership OGS wants to move forward with unlike Mou at the time who was unsure. While I have my doubts about Lindelof, I hope OGS will keep at it even if there are ups and downs or in the case of injury, this partnership will be reinstated regardless if whomever stepped in is doing a bang up job. Having a settled backline is critical to stability, think so much so that it also affected DDG performances too last season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think anyone is overhyping Axel at all. But afew like myself do think he has higher potential than Victor Lindelof due to what I've already mentioned.
I think he’s being set up for a fall personally. He’s not done much at all yet. People think he’s a better option than Lindelöf. There are a lot of centre halves who are faster than Lindelöf who are not as good as him. He wasn’t that impressive in pre-season I don’t think, and has never played at centre half in the PL.

Just think some of the assertions are premature, even with regards to his perceived ceiling at this stage, as he’s played so little as a centre half. Way to go before being better than Lindelöf, but of course, each to their own opinion.

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
The fact that there are a considerable amount of people who want a guy that has only played in friendlies and the Championship to start (!) at United says a lot more about the fanbase than it does of either Tuanzebe or Lindelof, to be honest. Like someone else said previously in the thread; no matter how good we're performing, there's always a better option on the bench. :lol:

nainaisson

Odd that you state he lacks certain attributes, then claim to not having watched much of him :lol:
I can't even give a diplomatic answer without being called out for it.

The last thing this new building-out-from-the-back system needs is another centre-back who panics on the ball and passes back to De Gea whenever there's a high press. Based on what I saw of Tuanzebe in pre-season, he's not on Lindelof or Maguire's level in that regard. In fact, even when there wasn't a high press, he seemed kind of lost, to be honest. But, again, I don't claim omniscience on Tuanzebe's qualities as a centre-back because I've never watched him play outside of United. Maybe he was Bonucci-level brilliant in the Championship -- I don't know.

meninred

Maguire is neither slow or fast. One game and a partnership isnot sth. you talk about. Usually successful partnership requires one defender being more of tackler while the other is ball playing. Not sure if maguire/Lindelof falls to that catagory.

fps

What I find more bizzare is posters suggesting we should already dislodge a partnership when we've played one game :lol:
For someone who has potential but is utterly unproven. Yes, odd.

El Jefe

I rate Tuanzebe highly but why has he become the main subject in this thread after a very encouraging start to the Lindelof-Maguire partnership? :lol:

Like I said I backed Tuanzebe to take Vic's place this season but after looking class in a 4-0 win against Chelsea it's just very weird to push that agenda.
It really is ridiculous. I love Axel but this love in he's getting at the expense of Lindelof is embarrassing.

The reason people keep pushing Axel to start is the fixation with having a partnership with one fast player in the partnership. The best CB partnership post Rio and Vidic was Bonucci and Chiellini and neither one of them were pacey. Its not a must to have a pace merchant at the back even though it helps.

Lindelof is getting better every year yet some want him dropped just because.

A-man

It really is ridiculous. I love Axel but this love in he's getting at the expense of Lindelof is embarrassing.

The reason people keep pushing Axel to start is the fixation with having a partnership with one fast player in the partnership. The best CB partnership post Rio and Vidic was Bonucci and Chiellini and neither one of them were pacey. Its not a must to have a pace merchant at the back even though it helps.

Lindelof is getting better every year yet some want him dropped just because.
It comes at that expense because some people are still bitter that Lindelof "took" Tuanzebes place in the team. Lindelof was hated by many the first year, and as we can see he still is among some.

hocane

Tuanzebe with his pace and athleticism would compliment Maguire better.
I honestly am not a fan of the Maguire and Lindelof partnership.

I think he needs competition for his place to keep him on the ball. He's almost guaranteed to start and that can build complacency
There's this weird myth that players become complacent unless they have someone breathing down their neck to take their place. The right kind of players create their own competition. Rio and Vidic were never in danger of losing their spot, neither was Maldini, Carlos, Cafu, Baresi, Nesta or any of the other greats. They all had an inbuilt drive to beat their own performance the week before and outdo their teammates on the pitch. If Shaw can't do that he's not a Manchester United player.

Al Capone

Back four looking solid but we need to see how we hold up against City and Liverpool and other sterner tests before I will be 100% confident. Early indications look good though and tuanzebe waiting in the wings too.

Adcuth

There's this weird myth that players become complacent unless they have someone breathing down their neck to take their place. The right kind of players create their own competition. Rio and Vidic were never in danger of losing their spot, neither was Maldini, Carlos, Cafu, Baresi, Nesta or any of the other greats. They all had an inbuilt drive to beat their own performance the week before and outdo their teammates on the pitch. If Shaw can't do that he's not a Manchester United player.
That's my point, I think Shaw is that kind of player where he needs the competition. I like the lad but just get a feeling he's not very self motivating.

redmanx

One game or not, you can see there's serious potential there. It's so many levels above any CB partnership you can put out :lol:
No matter how well Maguire and Lindelof play together their pairing is far, far better than any combination of Jones, Smalling and Baily and to be honest Id be more than happy if these 3 left United, none inspire confidence and all are liable to make cock ups at any stage of any game.

Maticmaker

Maguire and Lindelöf looked very good together, the defence firmed up now especially on the right side with Wan-Bissaka. Only problem was Shaw tending to leave the door open down the left early on which could have embarrassed us.

Luke sometimes looks the real deal, other times you shake your head and wonder where he's got to? Shaw will need to bring his 'A' game more often now to avoid negative comparisons with any of his back four colleagues.

Nialinho

No matter how well Maguire and Lindelof play together their pairing is far, far better than any combination of Jones, Smalling and Baily and to be honest Id be more than happy if these 3 left United, none inspire confidence and all are liable to make cock ups at any stage of any game.
I was replying to an Arsenal fan if you were confused by my post.. But yeah I agree with you, although the 'Chuckle Brothers' will be useful backup for this season especially with the Europa League.