Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

croadyman

Ideally it would be Maguire & Varane (looks unlikely) as first choice with Lindelof & Bailly as the backup pairing

redmanx

When discussing the Maguire/Lindelöf partnership, and whether Bailly should have been playing more, I think we should consider the advantage of having two centre halves that are used to playing next to each other. There has been periods this season where you got the feeling that Bailly was about to break into the team, just for him to get injured yet again.

While Lindelöf was playing his worst football before Christmas, Bailly was out 44 days between Oct 18 and Dec 1. Then he was out again twice in January, together 9 days. Then he was out for 10 days between Feb 3 and Feb 13. Then another 8 days between March 17 and 28, and finally 20 days between March 31 and April 20.

That´s hardly a great platform for establishing a new, stable CD pairing.
Theyre both too prone to injury; we need to buy a top flight, fast, strong central defender to partner Maguire and use Bailly and Lindelof as back up.

Dve

Theyre both too prone to injury; we need to buy a top flight, fast, strong central defender to partner Maguire and use Bailly and Lindelof as back up.
Yes, but I doubt it will happen now that Bailly signed a new contract. If he stays fit, Bailly+Maguire could be just what we need, and if not, there is consolidation is the fact that Lindelöf has been pretty decent the last few months.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
7 goals conceded and 7 clean sheets in the last 13 games all comp playing together. They have improved lately.

arthurka

We have also been less attacking in setup lately. Our goals are not flowing by any stretch. But yeah they have looked much better.

A-man

It’s six months since we lost a PL game with Lindelof and Maguire as CB pair.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
We have also been less attacking in setup lately. Our goals are not flowing by any stretch. But yeah they have looked much better.
I don't know if we have been less attacking, or just less effective when attacking (please share stats if you have something to suggest either way).

However, since Lindelof came back from injury against Liverpool and the two have improved, we have also seen much more attacking verve from our full backs which can be demonstrated by the stats (Shaw has created most chances etc.)

For the centre of defense to have been so stable considering the start to the season, whilst our fullbacks have finally started to become an effective attacking tool after years of complaints is pretty impressive.

I definitely think Henderson introduction has helped to further the form.

Paul_Scholes18

Underrated pair. Under a top manager they would look world class and they still look pretty good for us.

Icemav

Underrated pair. Under a top manager they would look world class and they still look pretty good for us.
Just a classic post. So Lindelof who looked poor under Jose and is currently playing very well alongside Maguire under Ole, and Ole is holding back both Lindelof's and Maguire's potential? This is a satirical post I am guessing?

lex talionis

The Maguire/Lindelof partnership had really begun to gel the last few months. Not Ling before that, the (short-lived) Maguire/Bailly partnership looked pretty decent too.

If Varane could be brought in for 30-35m I’d do the deal but if not I’m good with our four CBs we have now. Precious few pound the Glazers would be willing to spend this summer can better spent on Sancho and Rice, this assuming that Haaland is out of the question.

Lappen

I think when we play the way we play today, they are good enough but not brilliant.
For me the issue comes if we decides to play with one CDM(this is my wish). I don't think Ole want to do that and if he doesn't, its better to spend money in a CM and a RW first.

There are some youngsters coming up in the CB positions, and I believe in them. I think Ole likes them as well, he just making sure he gets his extension before playing them more, and he is over-protecting them I guess.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just a classic post. So Lindelof who looked poor under Jose and is currently playing very well alongside Maguire under Ole, and Ole is holding back both Lindelof's and Maguire's potential? This is a satirical post I am guessing?
Funny cos the narrative a lot of the time is that they need upgrading, but we’re keeping clean sheets now and it STILL leads to Ole being criticised. Weird.

slored1

They are a decent enough pair. I think another world class CB like Varane would really elevate our defense, but Lindelöf is an okay player for now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
And with Bailly signing a new deal, which is like a new signing, CB position is solved..
I wouldn’t be that confident. Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe are still injury prone and Lindelof is carrying his back injury. Remains to be seen if we get luckier or less lucky with that lot next season

Member 101269

I wouldn’t be that confident. Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe are still injury prone and Lindelof is carrying his back injury. Remains to be seen if we get luckier or less lucky with that lot next season
I'm not, i can see that type of comment being said in the transfer window.

Andersons Dietician

They are both solid enough but I don’t think they are a good pair. I’ve liked recently Lindelof has taken more of the leadership role in defence and organises Harry but like many have alluded too without the protection of Fred and McT would they be doing as well as they have been.

Someone like Varane would be handy but honestly if it was Varane Lindelof or Varane Maguire wouldn’t really bother me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
With Bailly and Jones tied in the long term that Maguire-Lindelof partnership is probably here to stay. That means we'll have to play McT-Fred to cover their arse which in turn means that our creativity is going to go to the shitters. I feel sorry for Ole. This club will probably fail to back him 2 years in a row

youmeletsfly

With Bailly and Jones tied in the long term that Maguire-Lindelof partnership is probably here to stay. That means we'll have to play McT-Fred to cover their arse which in turn means that our creativity is going to go to the shitters. I feel sorry for Ole. This club will probably fail to back him 2 years in a row
We don't play McFred to cover our CB's. We play them due to not having a solid DM.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We don't play McFred to cover our CB's. We play them due to not having a solid DM.
McT and Fred are not prime Keane (and there's no prime Keane or Rijkaard anymore) but they can hold on their own if defence didn't need so much TLC. The problem is that it can't. Maguire is solid but he's painfully slow while Lindelof is useless in air and is also slow. We need to win the battle in midfield as the defence as a chin that is made of glass

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Lindelof for me is the most underrated CB in the premiership, he isn't the most commanding but he's calm, composed and positions himself very well.
His distribution is good and I feel he compliments Maguire extremely well.

For me Maguire and Lindelof have been the best CB pairing in the premiership this year.
Interesting to note as well that they have looked very comfortable since Henderson has stepped into the team.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Maguire and Lindelof have nothing to do with 'having to play' Fred and McTominay.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
McT and Fred are not prime Keane (and there's no prime Keane or Rijkaard anymore) but they can hold on their own if defence didn't need so much TLC. The problem is that it can't. Maguire is solid but he's painfully slow while Lindelof is useless in air and is also slow. We need to win the battle in midfield as the defence as a chin that is made of glass
It's a myth that Lindelof is slow. He has repeatedly put in faster sprints than the likes of Pogba, Bailly and McT.

Redlyn

Yes, but I doubt it will happen now that Bailly signed a new contract. If he stays fit, Bailly+Maguire could be just what we need, and if not, there is consolidation is the fact that Lindelöf has been pretty decent the last few months.
He cant stay fit so no need for hopeless IF.
Next season will be exactly like this season without reinforcements. Good, but not good enough.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Lindelof for me is the most underrated CB in the premiership, he isn't the most commanding but he's calm, composed and positions himself very well.
His distribution is good and I feel he compliments Maguire extremely well.

For me Maguire and Lindelof have been the best CB pairing in the premiership this year.
Interesting to note as well that they have looked very comfortable since Henderson has stepped into the team.
Completely agree with everything here mate.
I feel Lindelofs distribution has come on alot this past season too. He seems to have alot more confidence in himself and willing to try riskier long passes which are coming off more often than not.

Really hoping Baily can stay injury free and get a few more appearances too. Think he's been superb in the few games he's played this season and has alot to offer. Definitely has attributes which the other two are lacking and could be useful against teams with a bit more pace. Seems alot more settled and less unpredictable now too.

Eugenius

Maguire and Lindelof have nothing to do with 'having to play' Fred and McTominay.
Yes they do. Why else would we play them otherwise? It's not for what they do on the ball. They do a big job of covering for the full backs and stopping the CBs having to go out to confront danger in the channels on counter attacks.

When the opposition has come at us with two quick and direct strikers getting into the channel (like Everton and Leicester notably), we have looked more vulnerable.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I don't know if we have been less attacking, or just less effective when attacking (please share stats if you have something to suggest either way).

However, since Lindelof came back from injury against Liverpool and the two have improved, we have also seen much more attacking verve from our full backs which can be demonstrated by the stats (Shaw has created most chances etc.)

For the centre of defense to have been so stable considering the start to the season, whilst our fullbacks have finally started to become an effective attacking tool after years of complaints is pretty impressive.

I definitely think Henderson introduction has helped to further the form.
Some excellent observations here.
We do play McTominay and Fred quite a lot, which protects the back line, so effectively a slightly more defensive set up, hence the lack of more attacking play.
Personally, I'm not a fan of Lindelofs, although he has performed well these past couple of months, he still doesn't fill me with confidence when he plays. I also think Maguire can be upgraded eventually. Maguire does seem to grapple with forwards a lot when the ball is coming into the box, and together with Lindelof there is a lack of pace, also Lindelof does seem to be easily overcome in a physical battle with some strikers.
I don't think we would win EPL or CL with these two as the main CBs.
I also think Hendersons introduction has helped in that respect, the defenders seem more relaxed when he's behind them.
The full backs, especially AWB have noticeably been more involved in our attacking play, which, I think, is partly due to the team finding their feet, so to speak, and becoming a more stable unit, in fact developing and evolving, as most teams do.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And with Bailly signing a new deal, which is like a new signing, CB position is solved..
It wasn't an issue to begin with. We leaked a shit load of goals early on (Lindelof didn't even play in the 6-1 loss to Spurs) and since then we've been pretty damn solid. We can improve on it of course, but there are far more pressing positions that require upgrading before we even consider swapping out one of our two CBs.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yes they do. Why else would we play them otherwise? It's not for what they do on the ball. They do a big job of covering for the full backs and stopping the CBs having to go out to confront danger in the channels on counter attacks.

When the opposition has come at us with two quick and direct strikers getting into the channel (like Everton and Leicester notably), we have looked more vulnerable.
We play them because they are better than the alternatives we currently have.

largelyworried

I'd be disappointed to go into next season with these two as our CB pair again. I don't think either of them are poor players by any means, but the lack of pace in both of them is a problem. You can see what a difference Henderson has made to the team, being so keen to sweep up behind them. It means that the entire team isn't turning and chasing back for every ball over the top, they have the confidence to leave things for him. I think we'd get the same effect with a pacy CB in that pair. Indeed a fast CB and a keeper that comes out would just eliminate a lot of the risk from through balls and let us gamble a lot more going forward. Sadly the new contract for Bailly points towards us keeping the status quo next season.

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania

To win the midfield, even if you got someone like Varane you would still see McT and fred most games, lets be honest neither your wingers or Bruno/Pogba does a good job tracking back. If half your starting lineup only work hard when they feel like it, then you need 2 hard worker on the pitch.

El Jefe

Regardless of how well they've performed, a top centre back pairing strikes fear iintothe opposition. That will never happen with these two as a pairing for reasons we all know.

What they've shown though is they are good enough to be our CBs for long stretches of the season without us being worse for it. In an ideal world we'd have Maguire alongside a pacey and athletic type of CB. If anyone of them was to get injured, Lindelof has proved that he's clearly capable of doing a good job for us. A bit like Jonny Evans before he became shit for us.