Maguire: I wouldn't be starting every game if I was playing bad or not playing well enough, there's a reason both managers put me in XI every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maticmaker

He's the captain so he carries the 'can', not just for his own performance, but for all the rest.
With a half decent midfield in front of him and a keeper prepared to defend outside his goal area, Maguire can cope.

Trouble is we've had no half decent performances all around the pitch this season.

Still when they are all moved on the Glazer's will be pleased, lots of new names to boost shirt sales next year. :rolleyes:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
ten Hag is coming for your fat head.
I have a feeling that he will remain, captain, next season and will play regardless of form. Ole and Ralf both did this.
Could it be the board who are forcing the managers to use certain players?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
I have a feeling that he will remain, captain, next season and will play regardless of form. Ole and Ralf both did this.
If this happends it means Ten Hag is not in charge. Maguire doesnt fit in an Ten Hag system at all. United should take the loss and sell him to Everton or Newcastle.

wolvored

So if he has truly been terrible, why is it that he has played near enough every game?

I'm yet to hear anyone actually answer this, because it's not injuries (we could have played Lindelgod, Jones, Bailly, Varane over him at any point in the season, as they haven't been injured all the time), so why is it he is playing??
80 million quid. Theres got to be some internal pressure somewhere put on the manager to pick him. I would bet if he had cost 20 mill he would either be on the bench a permanent sub or out of the team altogether

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bar two players on that list he has played circa ten more games than everyone else.

Yes, he has still made those 'errors' (no context as to what constitutes an error) but who's to say he wouldn't be on that list had several others played the same amount of games?

Stats can be contrived in any way you want them to be without context.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Bar two players on that list he has played circa ten more games than everyone else.

Yes, he has still made those 'errors' (no context as to what constitutes an error) but who's to say he wouldn't be on that list had several others played the same amount of games?

It is still shocking and you would expect him being aware. We have so many poor defenders, it is baffling

Giggsforever

This stat is showing his flaws. But the stat is also flawed, the main mistakes for defenders that create chances is bad positioning and that is not really measurable. In that aspect he is more than good enough. Take Wan Bissaka for instance, his positioning has caused us chances and goals against at a sickening rate, but its not counted.

USREDEVIL

Oh but there's plenty of context that backs up these stats. Just look at the last game and the nice pass to Mejbri, for example. He's regularly caught in no man's land, not marking anyone but putting out a sad leg that get's nowhere near a cross/pass that ends up in the net.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Nah I just think Maguire has always been fit along with already being made captain. There's never really been a period where he could have realistically been benched because every other pairing has been disrupted for one reason or another

TsuWave

It's a bit crass but... And people were full of tears talking about the very good Matic, our best midfielder.
that goal against Everton still makes me sick to my stomach. The way he lost the ball is sickening

Valencia Shin Crosses

This stat is showing his flaws. But the stat is also flawed, the main mistakes for defenders that create chances is bad positioning and that is not really measurable. In that aspect he is more than good enough. Take Wan Bissaka for instance, his positioning has caused us chances and goals against at a sickening rate, but its not counted.
"More than good enough" describing Maguire's positioning is laughable considering he was literally caught out for Liverpools first goal

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
that goal against Everton still makes me sick to my stomach. The way he lost the ball is sickening

The retreat was also majestic. Strangely enough Pogba, Matic and McTominay have the same lack of hustle when we are countered.

Champ

Oh but there's plenty of context that backs up these stats. Just look at the last game and the nice pass to Mejbri, for example. He's regularly caught in no man's land, not marking anyone but putting out a sad leg that get's nowhere near a cross/pass that ends up in the net.
Feck me, Hannibal should have done better, wasn't a great pass but certainly wasn't the worst.
But this proves my point entirely, you believe he was at fault there, but the actual mistake will be Hannibal's got giving the ball away, Maguire actually received a completed pass for that as it reached the player it was designed for.

There's no context in that graphic at all. It shows a player who has made mistakes leading to a shot (no context given for what constitutes a mistake) and no context for where that shot was taken (it could have been from 20 yards and a scuffed hit)
Also he has played many more games than players on that list, had they played the same amount there's a good chance he wouldn't even be on that list.
Put this context on it, had a striker scored 7 goals in ten more games than the next on the list would you say that player would stay in that position if the others had played the same amount of games?

Champ

"More than good enough" describing Maguire's positioning is laughable considering he was literally caught out for Liverpools first goal
Another one. :rolleyes:

Maguire stepped out to win the fecking ball, Dalot was out of position, where were the runners?? Yeah, behind Dalot.

dubplate warrior

Honestly, this whole era for United has been a fecking shambles. I never wanted Maguire - nor did I ever rate him - but feck me, he's been far worse for us than I thought he would be. The guy also clearly lacks self awareness and isn't likeable whatsoever.

How we let Ole manage this side for 3 fecking years, while blowing 80m on Maguire and making him captain, is totally beyond me. We've been an absolute laughing stock for years now; yet some on here will do anything and everything to try defend Maguire and Ole. Fact is; both are absolute poster boys of our horrible demise.

I'm praying that ETH can take our club out of this mess; we can bin off Maguire, and forget all our post-Fergie appointments. It's funny; the fans who had serious concerns about Ole's credentials, and Maguire's ability, were dragged through the mud on here for several years. So much so, that a whole thread in the general existed, to make snidey digs about 'patterns of play'; 'hipster managers' and 'hipster centre backs'.

Looks like the people who refused to blindly back mediocrity were right all along. The fans of this club really have let their standards slip something fierce. There's plenty on here who would have happily clapped along to another 5-trophyless-years of Ole, while being captained by Maguire, all because they're under some misguided illusion of being 'better fans'. I hope to God we get rid of a huge portion of this squad over the next 2/3 years. They're a bunch of fecking charlatans who haven't an ounce of pride or self awareness between them.
One of the best comments I've ever seen on here! Ole was so painfully out of his depth and it was clear to pretty much everyone except a pretty vocal contingent of our fanbase.

Maguire is just a relic of the worst manager I'll ever see at Manchester United in my lifetime.

USREDEVIL

Feck me, Hannibal should have done better, wasn't a great pass but certainly wasn't the worst.
But this proves my point entirely, you believe he was at fault there, but the actual mistake will be Hannibal's got giving the ball away, Maguire actually received a completed pass for that as it reached the player it was designed for.

There's no context in that graphic at all. It shows a player who has made mistakes leading to a shot (no context given for what constitutes a mistake) and no context for where that shot was taken (it could have been from 20 yards and a scuffed hit)
Also he has played many more games than players on that list, had they played the same amount there's a good chance he wouldn't even be on that list.
Put this context on it, had a striker scored 7 goals in ten more games than the next on the list would you say that player would stay in that position if the others had played the same amount of games?
No, i believe they were both wrong. But my point was that he contributed to that goal by the bad pass. So although the chart does not add context (which is really not expected in a simple chart) we have context from watching the games. But i think you're a real die hard for Maguire, so you can feel free to disagree.

cyril C

Maguire was not entirely wrong. Even if we get XYZ to partner with Varane, there is a good chance that 1 of them will be injured and Maguire will step in, end up playing 30+ games a season even as 3rd choice CB.

Take this season as example, even if Maguire is 5th choice CB, after Varane, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, he would have end up with most games in his pocket.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Is there a compilation somewhere of some of Maguire’s better moments? I’m sure there is. Maybe during his Leicester days

Sviken

Possibly one of the worst transfers in our history. And he's a captain at that, too. Can't wait to see the back of him.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
“I must be an interesting interview to watch, because I’ve spoken to many different reporters and they keep interviewing me, and networks keep putting it on tv.”

Sagittarius13

This is what I think: His position in the starting XI is determined by his price tag, (is not in the Manager's hands) that's a higher level decision.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Of all the players we are to lose I hope he’s one of the first out the door.

Terrible player.

Even worse captain.

MikeTyson99

The fact posters are still willing to give the guy more rope whilst writing off players that have done more than this guy ever has is baffling. The idea of Maguire is greater than the player himself.
Spot on, some fans are deluded

Red Rash

The sad reality is that he isn't an 80 million pound player and isn't a captain.

Unfortunately Varane has been injured a lot but when they have played together it really exposes how far away Maguire is from Varane in terms of quality. Even Lindelof who I largely haven't rated has looked way better than Maguire this season.

I think one of the key traits of a good captain is that you have to be consistent with your own performances. When you think about Robson, Cantona, Keane and Neville they usually put up decent performances even when they were playing bad. The problem for Maguire is that he can't really give his teammates a bollocking when he is playing as badly and making as many or more mistakes than them.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This has long since moved on from discussion about the actual interview, so you can continue the generic Maguire bashing in the player performance thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.