Maguire: I wouldn't be starting every game if I was playing bad or not playing well enough, there's a reason both managers put me in XI every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It shows how weak his mentality is to say things like this. Of course this is our Captain. He epitomises the club currently. Absolutely deluded.

I see he's conveniently forgot how he only got his place back in January after being dropped because Lindelöf got his house burgled with his family inside, then had injury troubles along with Varane. Before then he couldn't get a look in with Lindelöf - Varane.

The real reason he's kept his place is because he's been the only one consistently fit, not pure ability.

Jackal981

What a fecking cnut. Does he think he is prime ferdinand incarnate or what. What a thick faced moron. Nice timing too after a man of the match 10/10 performance

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not really sure what people want him to say. At this stage there’s nothing he can say to win over most of you. Hell he’s getting blamed for every goal we concede which is nothing more than a pile on.
People have been harshly on him but you definitely don't say that when you're playing poorly and the team is a completely disgrace. Better to keep quiet.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That’s very cringed. Can’t believe he is thick enough to say that. He is literally the worst CB in the league this season.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Should have just kept quiet. This lot doesnt understand that speaking from the pitch with your performance matters more than interviews.

amolbhatia50k

I wonder if we have many other players too who feel they are good enough since they start. It would explain a lot to be honest. As a self aware and honest bunch would have rolled up their sleeves and reacted far better to adversity.

amolbhatia50k

Should have just kept quiet. This lot doesnt understand that speaking from the pitch with your performance matters more than interviews.
They seem to be in self preservation mode right now rather than let's show some pride for the fans mode. Must protect the brand and all that.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Can you imagine Roy Keane or Nemanja Vidic giving an interview like this? Would they feck. And Keane was a transfer record in his day too. Maguire has shown a couple of times now that he lacks humility and self awareness. What he should be saying is that he knows he has work to do to be worthy of the captaincy of this club and he is determined to show that he can be the captain we all want him to be. Instead he talks himself up and the reference to his transfer fee in itself is in bad taste. I think Ten Hag will change the captaincy anyway.

JeffFromHK

He absolutely needs to be sold this summer, I do not care if we only recoup 20M or even 10M. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either deluded or not a Man Utd fan.

amolbhatia50k

Can you imagine Roy Keane or Nemanja Vidic giving an interview like this? Would they feck. And Keane was a transfer record in his day too. Maguire has shown a couple of times now that he lacks humility and self awareness. What he should be saying is that he knows he has work to do to be worthy of the captaincy of this club and he is determined to show that he can be the captain we all want him to be. Instead he talks himself up and the reference to his transfer fee in itself is in bad taste. I think Ten Hag will change the captaincy anyway.
I think the issue arises when you put a man of level 30 in a level 100 job. They're paid like a level 100, work for a level 100 so must be a level 100. So they spend their entire time trying to fit in and fake their way through a level 100 career when everybody knows they're not good enough for it.

Moyes has done well for WH but you saw the same stubbornness with him. What should have been an unrealistic dream, came true for him.

It's no surprise we have so many players with the wrong mentality. We've handed relative youngsters (I.e under 30 relative to normal life) big money and status that they never earned. It's our own doing really.

BaneIsPain

I wouldn’t be surprised if almost all the senior players are living in the bubble bar ronnie.

Skills

Snitch
I think the issue arises when you put a man of level 30 in a level 100 job. They're paid like a level 100, work for a level 100 so must be a level 100. So they spend their entire time trying to fit in and fake their way through a level 100 career when everybody knows they're not good enough for it.

Moyes has done well for WH but you saw the same stubbornness with him. What should have been an unrealistic dream, came true for him.

It's no surprise we have so many players with the wrong mentality. We've handed relative youngsters (I.e under 30 relative to normal life) big money and status that they never earned. It's our own doing really.
This is also true to be honest, but it makes me feel a bit sympathetic towards him.

He should never have been the most expensive defender ever and he should never have been our captain. Both of those things, were well beyond his skill set and the pressure of both has probably destroyed him. The price tag, because it's made him a bit of a meme and the captaincy because he's the defacto face of a failing era of Man Utd.

He doesn't have the character, personality and most importantly the skill set to rise to either of those things. And he probably knows it himself which is why he comes across so sensitive.

sdb4884

I was just thinking this :rolleyes:

432JuanMata

It’s ok to defend yourself as the criticism is coming from everywhere but he thinks he has been good is the crazy part.

Also DeGea the other week and now Bruno last night given the post match interview where is Maguire he is captain. He is such a coward

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hope next manager changes captain and bench this guy. He is just useless both on and off the pitch.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Maguire isn't fitting this system. He has major difficulties man-marking and his positional awareness is shockingly bad.

His confidence is at an all time low too.

Has a player with such poor stats and performances ever redeemed himself in modern day football? I can't think of anyone.

RuudtheRed

Objectively speaking, Harry Maguire is not a bad player and he has proved himself to be capable of playing against Europe's best in international competition. With that being said, I am doubtful that he will ever be the right centreback for where we aspire to be.

On the basis of this season, his performances have been largely awful to average. I don't recall him having a particular great standout game for us. We all know that while he is aerially dominant (at least in defensive situations), he isn't very good at 1 v 1s or making recoveries. Put him up against an agile striker and he struggles. At times, he lunges into hopeless challenges which leaves the rest of our defence high and dry. He's effectively a worse version of Smalling defensively, but with better long passing.

The bad thing is that Maguire is our captain, seems to have a substantial ego, a complete lack of situational awareness and lack of emotional intelligence, which is typified by this kind of statement after a horrible season and his ear cupping celebration against scoring against Albania (he then proceeded to be sent off against the mighty Watford the week after). I believe the reason why the managers keep on picking him is because of the lack of any viable alternatives and the captaincy which surely must factor into the decision. Instead of taking the criticism on board and trying to improve, I get the sense that Maguire is just waving it aside and continuing to believe he's a great defender when he isn't at this moment.

Yes, two managers have continued picking him. But look how he has repaid them. In fact, his daft and completely unnecessarily red card at Watford effectively ended Ole's stint as our manager. If you are going to make this kind of statement, don't go on and ship 4 goals against our most hated rivals.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The lack of self awareness! :lol:

I mean the team performances have been a disgrace pretty much and it led to one of those managers being sacked so not sure what is his point or if he's trying to deflect his shortcomings and blaming the person who does the team selection.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Just to make a clear point, Rangnick should strip the captaincy off him and send him to the stands for the remaining games.
Play a youth player instead of him if need be. We all know what we'll get from him

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Actually Harry, you are playing because you cost £80m.
that's one reason. The second reason is that Ole and Jon 'data analysis and sports scientist' extraordinaire thought it was a good idea to add another injury prone CB to our already rich collection. Finally thanks to our British core, having Maguire kicked out of the team would cause another unrest similar to what is happening with 'Feed the world' Rashy.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Holy feck that's the perfect analogy. Harry Maguire is the David Moyes of CB's. Great choice for plucky underdog sides in a certain style, but both are absolute atrocities at the highest level of football being exposed consistently

ash_86

That interview on eve of the most difficult fixture... Oh my. No wonder he has no supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.