Maguire: I wouldn't be starting every game if I was playing bad or not playing well enough, there's a reason both managers put me in XI every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftySoAndSo

The timing of that coming out before the match last night was an absolute brain dead idea.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
No way did the clown retweet that passing compilation. Captain material right there.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This is just what he’s saying publicly. Imagine what he gives it in the dressing room. It’s arrogant clowns like this the club just have to get rid of in the Summer but won’t. Who would buy him?

I’m loving my life

We need him out of the club. Make an example of him. His attitude absolutely stinks with comments like that.

I really hope our new manager and RR are allowed to be ruthless and cut out the dross surgically, without the board interfering. The whole squad needs an attitude reset.

Lyng

The problem with this squad is too many players have the mentality Maguire has shown here. They are incapable of looking at themselves. All the bullshit Rashford says about being his own biggest critic is just that...bullshit.
This is sadly spot on. Its pretty evident that a lot of our players believe their own hype. As soon as a manager asks them to work or dares to criticise them they down tools.

wolvored

I defended him during the Greek incident. Now I know I was wrong...he's a lying twat with no self awarwness. He 100% got into a fight with the police and tried to olay the victim.
Maguire the liar. Got a good ring to it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The problem with this squad is too many players have the mentality Maguire has shown here. They are incapable of looking at themselves. All the bullshit Rashford says about being his own biggest critic is just that...bullshit.
Exactly being your biggest critic is not about words. It's about a desire to be the very best. To always want to improve and block out the praise because in your mind , it's still not good enough. You have the Manchester United captain who having the worst season of his career still feels complacent and comfortable enough to tweet a passing compilation against fecking Norwich. Get this clown out of my club asap

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did I imagine a previous interview where he openly blamed everyone for his poor level of performance?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
comfortable enough to tweet a passing compilation against fecking Norwich
What...when?
Did I imagine a previous interview where he openly blamed everyone for his poor level of performance?
No. Post match interview a couple of months ago, can't remember against who. Basically accused some of his teammates of not doing their jobs.

Lynty

I can say with 100% certainty, i'd have been a better centreback than Maguire last night.

That pass and defending for the fourth goal was below amatuer level.

RopersReturn

He’s average at best, the real reason we play him is he cost us £80m and the club wants get some sort of return on an investment.
Realistically he was a panic buy made by Ole, fuelled with Woodwards ‘buy British’ obsession.

Adisa

I mean he really looks bad recently. However, I have to say almost all defenders struggle vs a striker 1 vs 1 if the striker has enough time to think. Virgil now, Puyol and Maldini before are the very few defenders who frequently won those kind of duels.
I think a lot of Maguire looking shite comes to the team as a whole defending badly and that combined with him being in bad form gives you the impression that he is totally useless.
Look at the third goal last night. Mane was his man, there was no exceptional movment from Mane but he was so engrossed with the play that he totally forgot where his man was. How many times has he stepped out of the defensive line and left space for the other team to play into?
He's objectively a poor CB.

Sylar

What is he supposed to say you dopes hahah
Say that fans can judge him as they pay to do so, (which is better than abuse), and that him and his teammate arent doing enough

I just realised he RT'd the two or three pass video against Norwich. The same bottom club norwich team he was at the heart of our defence where we conceded two and needed Ronaldo magic to bail us out.

Crashoutcassius

Something other than, "two managers have picked me, so I must be good".
Do you think that is what he said in the context of the full interviews.

Professional sports people say confident things not losery things. He has said 1000x that the team needs to be doing better. But he isn't going to give into saying what all the redcafe couch potatoes want him to say, that he isn't good enough, wishes he was dropped, god what a waste of 80m I was.

Crashoutcassius

Look at the third goal last night. Mane was his man, there was no exceptional movment from Mane but he was so engrossed with the play that he totally forgot where his man was. How many times has he stepped out of the defensive line and left space for the other team to play into?
He's playing under the worst manager in the league, having spent three years under a manager that plays a style designed to protect him. He will have to adjust. At least we won't have such a clueless manager soon

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's like he doesn't understand his own body. He see's a ball being played into a player ten yards away from him, so he charges to them to close them down to stop them turning, but he somehow believes he has elite pace and that he can make up those ten yards. He doesn't. Like, mate, look down at your own legs, they're not quick, why do you keep backing yourself?!

So what happens is two things; 1) he leaves loads of space behind for the round the corner ball or b) he is now in no mans land between the player with the ball and his back line.

The media have let up on him after the booing but seriously that's only because he plays for England. The guy is the poster child for how the meritocracy in fooball can fail.

Lynty

"I love this club as much as the fans, so it's really difficult to accept recent results where performances havne't been good enough. But we need to take a good look at ourselves and work hard in trianing to get back to the top."

Literally anything but self justify his utter shitness.

I was happy with Maguire up until the Greece incident. I thought he was a solid defender. I even though Maguire and Varane would be a strong partnership had would help him regain form. But his performances this season have been horrendous.

captaincantona

He is supposed to say nothing...don’t do fuking interviews...don’t post on social media...don’t say a word. Post match - if he has to step up as captain -accept that your own and the teams performance isn’t good enough and say you’re working on it. Accept criticism that’s thrown your way and say you know it’s not up to the standard required. Then shut up again.

Too much talking and self preservation. Just shut up. If he can’t watch that last goal last night and accept he is not captain material then he is on crack.

Laurencio

For comparison.
Feck me, a Liverpool player that sounds like a Man Utd player, and we have a captain that sounds like Liverpool player.

I hate this new reality...

Esquire

Maguire's eyes are all over the room during the interview. He can't look at the interviewer with a straight face.
Any other self respecting club would sell him even at a loss. But we won’t. I hope at the least we take pressure off him next year and give the armband to someone else.

Tarrou

Doesn’t he get media training so as to not say stupid shit like this?

there’s a stock answer to questions about poor form

not been at my best, working hard to get back to form, etc..,’

Adisa

He's playing under the worst manager in the league, having spent three years under a manager that plays a style designed to protect him. He will have to adjust. At least we won't have such a clueless manager soon
Are you serious right now? He doeen need Pep Guardiola to teach him how to defend that situation.

Wing Attack Plan R

I mean he really looks bad recently. However, I have to say almost all defenders struggle vs a striker 1 vs 1 if the striker has enough time to think. Virgil now, Puyol and Maldini before are the very few defenders who frequently won those kind of duels.
I think a lot of Maguire looking shite comes to the team as a whole defending badly and that combined with him being in bad form gives you the impression that he is totally useless.
A lot of Maguire looking shite is because a CB has to be able to read the game and predict what will likely happen. Maguire can’t do this. He is also slow to turn so that when he inevitably picks the wrong action, he leaves himself for dead because he can’t recover. Maguire rushes forward when he should just try to slow the attacker or divert him off his line. He plants he feet when he should be on his toes. He lumps the ball or heads the ball back into danger. He leaves gaps in our defense because his teammates cover for his bad positioning and his slowness.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I really don’t think he’s some League 2 player. But dude, what a stupid thing to say in THIS season, before THIS match.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I feel a bit sorry for him. Keane was talking recently about how he shouldn't have been thrown in as captain and interviews like this show how he's not the best at handling pressure. His answers are contradictory and largely defensive, I think because he's forced to be with all the stick he gets.

Like Valencia before him, Harry is a player who benefits from being controlled, not the one in control.

It's the club's fault in many ways for not identifying characters who can handle the pressure of being a leading player at United. One of the few things Mou did right was to bring in more characters who could lead on the pitch and not make us rely on one central person to take charge.

I'm critical of Bruno for similar reasons. He was acting as de facto captain but has jettisoned the responsibility over recent months.

youmeletsfly

He says the shit he's been saying because he's been trained by his PR team.

These days, if you admit shit is not going well, you're seen as weak and get abuse via social media. That's more important to him/our club than the actual performances.

As a side note, why are British players so fecking dumb, they can't even string 3 sentences together without saying "of course, yeah, you know".
There seems to be two types of idiot British players, the ones like Maguire who can't string 2 sentences together and the ones like Rashford, Zaha, Lingard and co who think they're rappers and use words like "sauce".

It's so fecking sad to see guys who actually make it in life just to be some sort of half arsed wanna be rappers.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Any other self respecting club would sell him even at a loss. But we won’t. I hope at the least we take pressure off him next year and give the armband to someone else.
People seem to think that it's a one way street. Other self respecting clubs are stuck with similar players because you need to actually have a buyer that interest the player whether we are talking about wage, location or competitiveness. Who are the clubs that are going to match Maguire current wage? He isn't on massive wage but it's still higher than his level, the amount of clubs that would pay a decent fee for him and also give him a competitive contract are scarce.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I still think him making himself available/ Ole putting him in when he was clearly injured vs. Leicester was the catalyst for our season falling apart.

So maybe you playing every game isn't a good thing, aye Harry?

Status
Not open for further replies.