Maguire is as overrated as Pogba

SadlerMUFC

I can 100% guarantee you that if another manager came in, Maguire would be starting most games. And if that manager got fired and another came in. That manager would also start Maguire almost every game. Do you know why? It's because unlike our fans with agendas, the manager tries to do what's best for the team. And what's best for the team is starting your best players. And whether you like it or not, Maguire is in fact our best defender. In fact, it's not even close...

Longshanks

Considering the thread title, I don't see either of them being overrated on this Forum. Maguire is rated as what he is and Pogba is underrated.

Maguire is having a much better period of form, lately. Who knows how long that will last.

Pogba is absolute class and is capable of doing things other midfielders can only dream of, but he's constantly pulled all over the pitch to fulfill so many different roles, mostly inappropriate for his skill set, that it results in his, often, inconsistent form. If we could find a way to get the best out of him, in conjunction with Bruno, well that would be some midfield.
The reason pogba fulfill so many roles is because he has ever made a posistion his own and that's on him not the manager's he is so ill disciplined and tactically inept that hes not really able to fulfill a particular role, he is our most talented player skill wise but he is also the stupidest, if he had some discipline and kept it simple more often and held his posistion a little more he would be world class.

The worst thing is he should be plenty experienced and old enough to have the discipline to effectively play a role now but he doesn't it's like watching a very talented kid, some moments of genius with a lot of mistakes.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Nah, Pogba is genuinely an elite talent who has achieved a lot for both Juventus and his national team. Maguire is a lower midtable Prem player who got lucky because he was half decent against the likes of Panama and Tunisia and looks like a bit of a throwback to “the good old days”.

For all his flaws, Pogba will be going to a top club when he leaves United. No Champions League club is touching Maguire.

lysglimt

Scout
Maguire is not overrated - he would be a regular at every single team in the league - apart from maybe City. The problem with Maguire is that he needs a specific partner to cover his one flaw - the pace. And Lindelof isn't that partner. If Maguire had been teamed with a player like Ferdinand in his prime - they would have been one of the best partnerships in this clubs history. But he needs a quick partner next to him - and if Bailly could play a bit more with his head and not always with his heart, he could have been that player.

romufc

The title is weird. Pogba is massively over rated, everyone thinks he needs to play or can do things other players can't.

"To get the best out of Pogba we need a DM who will do the legwork" or "Manutd have failed him"

When the same is said about Maguire, "why did we pay £80m for someone that needs another player to compliment him"

Karlos PFC

I can 100% guarantee you that if another manager came in, Maguire would be starting most games. And if that manager got fired and another came in. That manager would also start Maguire almost every game. Do you know why? It's because unlike our fans with agendas, the manager tries to do what's best for the team. And what's best for the team is starting your best players. And whether you like it or not, Maguire is in fact our best defender. In fact, it's not even close...
No, that's not it. It's because Ed would tell the new coach that he is a valuable asset (80m) and has to be involved. Actually our best defender is Tuanzebe he looks fecking solid as a rock when he plays as a CB, if he stays healthy he can even be the captain. I clearly rate him very much.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think you are entitled to your opinion. But I think JT's peak > Rio's peak. Overall JT's quality > Rio's quality during the length of their career. Not many outside of Utd fanbase would dispute that seriously.

Rio was overrated by utd fans as Vidic was slightly underrated. I think CB's go in pairings and Vidic certainly made Rio look better.
Off-topic but this is nonsense, Rio was miles better than Terry.

Footyislife

Maguire is not overrated - he would be a regular at every single team in the league - apart from maybe City. The problem with Maguire is that he needs a specific partner to cover his one flaw - the pace. And Lindelof isn't that partner. If Maguire had been teamed with a player like Ferdinand in his prime - they would have been one of the best partnerships in this clubs history. But he needs a quick partner next to him - and if Bailly could play a bit more with his head and not always with his heart, he could have been that player.
Maguire is an inferior version of Ferdinand defensively due to his pace, but probably a better passer. He needs a Vidic (Bailly) to be effective. Lindelof gives you less rash tackles & better long range passing, ideal partner for Maguire when we are at home playing weaker teams who park the bus.

Aside from that one concussed game & the rough first few league games (which were basically preseason games), Maguire has been decent. His positioning and aerial presence have been excellent. He's no Van Dijk, but would start at City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Off-topic but this is nonsense, Rio was miles better than Terry.
Absolutely. Terry was just the media darling because he was more of a classic blood and guts style centre half who had a weird fetish for his own armband. Ferdinand was the superior player but suffered from the fact he made it look too easy.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Maguire is not overrated as he is not highly rated elsewhere anyway. (For example, FIFA rated him just a little bit better than Lindelof, who is just a little bit above average defenders in the league. Can’t say they got it wrong)
Finally some sensible post.

People mix overrated with overpriced.
Pogba is overrated player but I don't care that much about the money we paid for him, his football abilities are worth much less but he has great marketing value.
Maguire is just overpriced, by overrated? You mean like somebody actually rates him high? He's a decent CB that's all, multiple reasons why we paid so much for him but overpriced he probably is.

Hammondo

By what criteria do you judge Shaw as a better defender than Maguire?
His ability to play against higher level players. There have been no players he hasn't been able to defend against.

Maguire requires 2 DMs to protect him against stronger attackers.

Shaw's consistency is a little better.

He's just a higher level defender imo.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Maguire is an inferior version of Ferdinand defensively due to his pace, but probably a better passer.
It’s more like Maguire is the poor man’s Terry and Stones is the poor man’s Rio tbh.

Also, he’s not starting for City as they have three better CBs in their squad. Mourinho was desperate to sign him a few years ago so you could argue he’d start for Spurs but I don’t think there’s much between him and Dier really.

Maguire is not overrated as he is not highly rated elsewhere anyway.
British pundits almost universally love him and rarely ever seem to criticise him even when he has an absolute mare. They usually end up blaming someone else to protect him. It’s weird.

Last edited:

Hammondo

I would argue Shaw is. Maguire is only a bit better than our other CBs.

Hammondo

I rate Shaw highly as well. Funny how so many think he's crap and call him "fat and slow". Bunch of idiots...
He's done the typical defender thing, been quiet, dealt with everything, gone unnoticed.

All good things.

SadlerMUFC

No, that's not it. It's because Ed would tell the new coach that he is a valuable asset (80m) and has to be involved. Actually our best defender is Tuanzebe he looks fecking solid as a rock when he plays as a CB, if he stays healthy he can even be the captain. I clearly rate him very much.
Tuanzebe has looked good in the games that he's played, but we also have a huge tendency to like to overrate our own. I'm not saying that Tuanzebe is overrated. What I'm saying is that when you look for the good and look for the bad, you will find it. So if you have an agenda against Maguire, all you will see is flaws. If you're judging his performances he will have to put in an 8/10 to get a 6 while Tuanzebe will only have to put in a 6/10 to get an 8. The only problems I have with Maguire is that he shouldn't be the captain, and he tends to pull out when low crosses are coming in near our 6. On those balls I'd rather see him score an own goal than let the ball go (Stones goal for example). But Bruno is the obvious leader on the pitch. But that doesn't mean Maguire isn't a fantastic player. Does he make mistakes? Of course he does. Show me a player who doesn't. Is he an elite centre back? Absolutely. I've posted the stats several times before. Especially when United supporters start talking about other central defenders being better than him. The stats aren't even close. In fact, he's much closer to VVD than Lindelof or any other defender in our roster...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Who actually overrates Maguire?

Seems to me that most people who speak up on his behalf mainly say that he isn't quite as shite as his most vocal detractors claim.

Or - to put it in more favourable terms - they say he's a good player. Good - not great.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
First time I've stumbled on this thread, and the title is ridiculous. I'm sure this had been said on this thread before, but Maguire is underwhelming if factor in the price we paid, but otherwise decent. He lacks agility, that's his weak point, but he's good technically, strong, and professional.

Pogba has been a massive let down for me. Poor decision making on and off the pitch, slows the ball and adds nothing specific.

stevoc

Ok I know this won't be a popular opinion, but don't attack me. I think Shaw has been very good and he takes a lot of pressure off of Maguire and the defence in general.
I'll try my best.

That isn't a completely crazy opinion as i think Shaw is very underrated on here myself. But he is being rotated with Telles a lot this season.

But based purely on being almost ever present and seemingly being Solskjaer's first choice defender i would have to say Maguire is the most important defender in the squad currently. I rate him but i don't think he's on the same level as some of the top defenders we've had at United down the years.

Hammondo

I'll try my best.

That isn't a completely crazy opinion as i think Shaw is very underrated on here myself. But he is being rotated with Telles a lot this season.

But based purely on being almost ever present and seemingly being Solskjaer's first choice defender i would have to say Maguire is the most important defender in the squad currently. I rate him but i don't think he's on the same level as some of the top defenders we've had at United down the years.
I think Shaw's rotated due to fitness and having a good sub.

Maguire don't have those 2.

Karlos PFC

Tuanzebe has looked good in the games that he's played, but we also have a huge tendency to like to overrate our own. I'm not saying that Tuanzebe is overrated. What I'm saying is that when you look for the good and look for the bad, you will find it. So if you have an agenda against Maguire, all you will see is flaws. If you're judging his performances he will have to put in an 8/10 to get a 6 while Tuanzebe will only have to put in a 6/10 to get an 8. The only problems I have with Maguire is that he shouldn't be the captain, and he tends to pull out when low crosses are coming in near our 6. On those balls I'd rather see him score an own goal than let the ball go (Stones goal for example). But Bruno is the obvious leader on the pitch. But that doesn't mean Maguire isn't a fantastic player. Does he make mistakes? Of course he does. Show me a player who doesn't. Is he an elite centre back? Absolutely. I've posted the stats several times before. Especially when United supporters start talking about other central defenders being better than him. The stats aren't even close. In fact, he's much closer to VVD than Lindelof or any other defender in our roster...
I agree that we have a huge tendency to like to overrate our own players, but I don't know man Axel seems the real deal. I don't have any agenda against Maguire, I just don't think that he has a place in top teams. Some would argue that we are not what we were under SAF and rightly so, though that is not the topic here. Maguire is a mediocre CB for a mid-table club. We could have signed any other slow mediocre CB for less money, the league is full of those.

The problem I have with Maguire is that (even though I don't rate Ole) I think he was at fault for at least 2 semis (Sevilla Europa League and Man City).
Make a low cross and he will be left watching the trains go by. OK stats and all, but sometimes stats skew the complete image

In general he costs us at the big occasions. Also he is not United captain material (that's definitely on Ole. How can you make someone captain of the team in less than 6 months in the club and without ever achieving anything. Both of them piss me off so fecking hard). I didn't like as a captain Ashley Young but I could accept it.

But that doesn't mean Maguire isn't a fantastic player. Does he make mistakes? Of course he does. Show me a player who doesn't. Is he an elite centre back? Absolutely.
Ramos for example who is an elite CB doesn't cost his team with his errors in fact he was one of the best players in all of the Champions Leagues they've lifted and he is 35.

I won't argue anymore, let's agree to disagree.

Siorac

Who actually overrates Maguire?

Seems to me that most people who speak up on his behalf mainly say that he isn't quite as shite as his most vocal detractors claim.

Or - to put it in more favourable terms - they say he's a good player. Good - not great.
I did see a couple of posters claiming he's a 'fantastic' player but it's not exactly a widespread opinion, admittedly.

GoldTrafford99

Harry Maguire has proven himself to be the best right-sided centre-half in the Premier League. He was awesome there for two full seasons for Leicester, excelling and a real dominant force.

How many times has he played right-sided centre-back for Manchester United?

ZERO!

Solskjaer (and everyone in the game knows this) has been chasing a left-sided centre-back to compliment Harry but we haven't been able to nail one (every legitimate centre-half we've been linked with is a left-sider). I believe we actually went close to signing one last summer, but found out that the same player can be bought for half the price being quoted in August, during the summer of 2021, which is when I believe we will sign him.

But until then, Harry will have to play on the left side of our defence (which admittedly he gets turned inside every now and then.. he wouldn't get turned inside playing on the right, just like he never got turned inside when playing for Leicester).

Simply put;

Harry has played out of position in every game he has played for United (every alternative centre half bar one at United is/was a right-sided centre-back).... Harry, Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Tuanzabee, TFM - all righties... Rojo was the only one. but Ole has never trusted him as a player. (This is what happens when you chop and change manager every couple of years: 8 centre backs - 7 who play RCB, 1 who plays LCB).

We need a left-sided centre-back more than we need any other position filled. But that shouldn't be news.

More Caf logic.

Pep Guardiola: Sign me Harry Maguire

Jose Mourinho: Sign me Harry Maguire

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Sign me Harry Maguire

Red Cafe: Harry Maguire is overrated

Last edited:

lex talionis

Maguire is actually a very good defender, you’d have to say top 3 or 4 CBs in the PL. But he wears £80m on his chest like a scarlet letter. No, he wasn’t worth the transfer fee we paid for him but he’s rated about right.

Pogba is a different beast. The Pogba we saw at Juve was worth every pound we paid for him. But for a variety of reasons José and Ole have been unable to get the best out of him, some of the blame for that going on Pogba himself. But the Pogba vintage Juve...proper beast.

SadlerMUFC

I agree that we have a huge tendency to like to overrate our own players, but I don't know man Axel seems the real deal. I don't have any agenda against Maguire, I just don't think that he has a place in top teams. Some would argue that we are not what we were under SAF and rightly so, though that is not the topic here. Maguire is a mediocre CB for a mid-table club. We could have signed any other slow mediocre CB for less money, the league is full of those.

The problem I have with Maguire is that (even though I don't rate Ole) I think he was at fault for at least 2 semis (Sevilla Europa League and Man City).
Make a low cross and he will be left watching the trains go by. OK stats and all, but sometimes stats skew the complete image

In general he costs us at the big occasions. Also he is not United captain material (that's definitely on Ole. How can you make someone captain of the team in less than 6 months in the club and without ever achieving anything. Both of them piss me off so fecking hard). I didn't like as a captain Ashley Young but I could accept it.

Ramos for example who is an elite CB doesn't cost his team with his errors in fact he was one of the best players in all of the Champions Leagues they've lifted and he is 35.

I won't argue anymore, let's agree to disagree.
Did you really just say that Ramos doesn't cost his team with errors? Dude, Ramos makes errors that would make Phil Jones blush. If you want to talk about an overrated defender, that's your man. Ramos is a garbage defender. Great footballer, but horrible defender. As for Maguire, he is elite. I've listed his stats before. You can't possibly say you don't have an agenda against Maguire and then talk the rubbish you talk. You are looking for the bad. The only part of his game that I'd like to see change is that he doesn't like to deal with low balls behind him in the 6. He'd rather let it go then risk scoring an own goal while I'd rather see him take the risk and score and own goal than let a ball go threw. Other than that, he is a fantastic defender. Probably shouldn't be captain because I see Bruno as our leader, but that's not a knock against. I just think there are better options to wear the armband...

yamo123x

Dont get the Maguire hating in here.

We overpaid yes, but then we paid 55mill for AWB and 20mill.for Dan James and both are horrendous, we are man utd we overpay.

For me Maguire lacks agility but with an agile pacey centre back alongside him it makes such a difference.

SadlerMUFC

@Karlos PFC

Many will say Dias has been the best defender in the league this year. When we compare him to Maguire, it isn't even close. And when many say Lindelof is better than Maguire, again it isn't even close. In fact, name me a defender who you think is among the best in the league and my guess is Maguire's stats will either be better or close to theirs. But that's how the United fanbase works. We love to underrate and scapegoat our best players as long as it suits our agendas...

-------------------------tck---blk---Int---Clr---HdCl--Rc--DW--DL--ABW--ABL--50
Maguire------------13----6------34--56------39---97---95--49----68-----20-----3
Lindelof------------11----0------15--46------18---65---51--40----33-----21-----2
R Dias----------------7----1-------9----41------21---65---40--22----23-----22----1

Legend: tck=tackles, blk=blocks, Int=Interceptions, Clr=Clearances, HdCl=Headed Clearances, Rc=Recoveries, DW=Duals Won, DL=Duals Lost, ABW=Aerial Battles Won, ABL=Aerial Battles Lost, 50=Successful 50/50

Harry Maguire Statistics | Premier League
Victor Lindelöf Statistics | Premier League
Rúben Dias Statistics | Premier League

RedIan

Pogba bloody superb again tonight motm, Maguire was very good. With bailly pace along side him they suddenly look a better defence.

Enjoy being top and in the title race.. : )

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Continuing to make a mockery of this thread.

People didn't seem to understand that a mixture of that dreadful lack of pre-season added into the stress of that legal shenanigans in the summer conspired against him early doors. He's back to top form now.

Karlos PFC

Did you really just say that Ramos doesn't cost his team with errors? Dude, Ramos makes errors that would make Phil Jones blush. If you want to talk about an overrated defender, that's your man. Ramos is a garbage defender. Great footballer, but horrible defender. As for Maguire, he is elite. I've listed his stats before. You can't possibly say you don't have an agenda against Maguire and then talk the rubbish you talk. You are looking for the bad. The only part of his game that I'd like to see change is that he doesn't like to deal with low balls behind him in the 6. He'd rather let it go then risk scoring an own goal while I'd rather see him take the risk and score and own goal than let a ball go threw. Other than that, he is a fantastic defender. Probably shouldn't be captain because I see Bruno as our leader, but that's not a knock against. I just think there are better options to wear the armband...
Ramos, a CB who has 700 ap / 100 goals for Madrid and has lifted 2 Euros 1 World Cup 5 LaLiga and 4 Champions League is an overated defender.

Maguire a guy that has feckall in trophies is elite.

Ok I'm done with this

simplyared

How the feck this thread has not been locked, or was allowed to start, amazes me. Unecessary negativity towards two of our players cheaply expressed in the title followed up by insults in the OP. Surely not worth a thread of it's own. Let the poster put his/her opinions in the player performances thread and spew over his/her hostility there instead. It's threads like this that bring the Caf down!