Maguire is as overrated as Pogba

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How the feck this thread has not been locked, or was allowed to start, amazes me. Unecessary negativity towards two of our players cheaply expressed in the title followed up by insults in the OP. Surely not worth a thread of it's own. Let the poster put his/her opinions in the player performances thread and spew over his/her hostility there instead. It's threads like this that bring the Caf down!
Anti-Pogba threads will always be encouraged on the caf.

SadlerMUFC

Ramos, a CB who has 700 ap / 100 goals for Madrid and has lifted 2 Euros 1 World Cup 5 LaLiga and 4 Champions League is an overated defender.

Maguire a guy that has feckall in trophies is elite.

Ok I'm done with this
699 appearances than he should have in that position. But go on, prove again how big of a United supporter you are by telling us all how shite our players are...

Karlos PFC

699 appearances than he should have in that position. But go on, prove again how big of a United supporter you are by telling us all how shite our players are...
I don't have to prove anything to anyone about my love for the team.

Being a fan doesn't mean that I'm blind or that I forget how football is played. If something is shit I'd call it for what it is.

I'm pretty sure that at this point last year you'd be claiming that Ole can't challenge with Lingard and Perreira cause that's what most of the users in here were suggesting.

So, what tells about you or anyone for not rating a player. Do you or anyone else who don't rate Lingardinho or Jones or whoever love United?

SadlerMUFC

I don't have to prove anything to anyone about my love for the team.

Being a fan doesn't mean that I'm blind or that I forget how football is played. If something is shit I'd call it for what it is.

I'm pretty sure that at this point last year you'd be claiming that Ole can't challenge with Lingard and Perreira cause that's what most of the users in here were suggesting.

So, what tells about you or anyone for not rating a player. Do you or anyone else who don't rate Lingardinho or Jones or whoever love United?
And if a player is sh*t then you'd have a point. But when we are talking about our best central defender and quite possibly the best central defender in the league this year, then you clearly have an agenda.

-------------------------tck---blk---Int---Clr---HdCl--Rc--DW--DL--ABW--ABL--50
Maguire------------13----6------34--56------39---97---95--49----68-----20-----3
Lindelof------------11----0------15--46------18---65---51--40----33-----21-----2
R Dias----------------7----1-------9----41------21---65---40--22----23-----22----1

Legend: tck=tackles, blk=blocks, Int=Interceptions, Clr=Clearances, HdCl=Headed Clearances, Rc=Recoveries, DW=Duals Won, DL=Duals Lost, ABW=Aerial Battles Won, ABL=Aerial Battles Lost, 50=Successful 50/50

Harry Maguire Statistics | Premier League
Victor Lindelöf Statistics | Premier League
Rúben Dias Statistics | Premier League

Karlos PFC

And if a player is sh*t then you'd have a point. But when we are talking about our best central defender and quite possibly the best central defender in the league this year, then you clearly have an agenda.

-------------------------tck---blk---Int---Clr---HdCl--Rc--DW--DL--ABW--ABL--50
Maguire------------13----6------34--56------39---97---95--49----68-----20-----3
Lindelof------------11----0------15--46------18---65---51--40----33-----21-----2
R Dias----------------7----1-------9----41------21---65---40--22----23-----22----1

Legend: tck=tackles, blk=blocks, Int=Interceptions, Clr=Clearances, HdCl=Headed Clearances, Rc=Recoveries, DW=Duals Won, DL=Duals Lost, ABW=Aerial Battles Won, ABL=Aerial Battles Lost, 50=Successful 50/50

Harry Maguire Statistics | Premier League
Victor Lindelöf Statistics | Premier League
Rúben Dias Statistics | Premier League
As I mentioned earlier sometimes stats skew the image.
I can show you Lingard's stats in Mou's second season and tell you about how great player he is and that he is one of the best midfielders in the league.

Besides that those stats are about form for a certain period.

You can't claim that Ramos is the most over-rated CB in history and the Phil Jones of Madrid based on this year's stats and at 35 and Maguire is elite and best CB in the league with just 3/4 seasons in the PL and no silverware.
Just cause stats, from this season :lol: . Is that so hard to grasp?

Hughie77

Look who started this thread. Livewire 1974 got to be a pool fan having a dig. And getting bites. They wernt bad on Tuesday .

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can show you Lingard's stats in Mou's second season and tell you about how great player he is and that he is one of the best midfielders in the league.

You can't claim that Ramos is the most over-rated CB in history and the Phil Jones of Madrid based on this year's stats and at 35 and Maguire is elite and best CB in the league with just 3/4 seasons in the PL and no silverware.
Lingard was one of the best midfielders in the PL that season though.

SadlerMUFC

These stats are about this entire season so far. I have posted stats for last season before which showed the same thing but other than posting Dias' stats (obviously) I posted VVD's stats and they were very similar to Maguire's. And sure, stats don't tell the whole picture, especially when they go against your agenda. However, when I tell you Maguire is one of the best defenders in the league, I back it up with stats. When you say Maguire isn't, you back it up with "because I said so"...

Maguire is one of the best CBs in the league.

how many better ones are there? VVD who is injured, Laporte who can’t get a game at the moment ahead of Stones?

I certainly don’t believe there are 5 better centre halves in the PL.

Teja

Maguire is clearly good at what he does - good in the air, good at playing out from the back, picking out passes etc., so against physical teams like Burnley he's going to do alright. He also makes me nervous when defending 1v1 against quick attackers, esp. if we commit too many men forward and give the ball away in a dangerous area.

This can be mitigated by having a pacy, aggressive CB next to him. Bailly is a good partner but we know about his injuries and his occasional streaks of, what can only be described as, madness, so maybe it'll have to be someone else.

Atleast I'm personally not too worried about our CB situation, if we don't end up winning the title it'll not be because Maguire + Lindelof / Bailly is a bad CB partnership.

simplyared

Maguire is good enough to be our CB and captain. His name is the first on the teamsheet every week and I'm fine with that. Without him we wouldn't be top of the league.

Leftback99

Maguire would start for every team in the league. The only team it's even a debate is City.

Crashoutcassius

The Maguire hate is bizarre. Watch any game and watch him clear header after header. Look at his pass to rashford a few weeks back. He plays every single game.

I think he will leave United a mid level legend, especially if he continues to play every minute and we can win some things

Irwinning

I like how he has come on this season, especially after his pre-season shenanigans. Its clear he is taking on his responsibilities and hopefully his 'slabhead' goals can start coming back (was ripped off against Burnley tbh).

That said, I watched every Leicester match season before last and almost all Leicester fans rated Jonny Evans higher than him and they still would. Evans is older though so I wouldn't write off Maguire.

Jeppers7

I don’t disagree with any of the posts about how good Maguire is.....that being said Pogba is miles better and has performed better for us than Maguire has.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
I like how he has come on this season, especially after his pre-season shenanigans. Its clear he is taking on his responsibilities and hopefully his 'slabhead' goals can start coming back (was ripped off against Burnley tbh).

That said, I watched every Leicester match season before last and almost all Leicester fans rated Jonny Evans higher than him and they still would. Evans is older though so I wouldn't write off Maguire.
Evans has declined a little bit this season, so Maguire is probably ahead of him now.

Evans was definitely the better of the two when they played together though (and arguably better than Maguire last season too).

Sultan

Admin
Staff
The Maguire hate is bizarre. Watch any game and watch him clear header after header. Look at his pass to rashford a few weeks back. He plays every single game.

I think he will leave United a mid level legend, especially if he continues to play every minute and we can win some things
Exactly!

People go on about his lack of pace. Admittedly, it's a great asset but it's not everything. His reading and heading abilities are amongst the best in the league.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Maguire haters are probably the ones that rate Lindelof as a better defender too.

I wouldn't give much thought to their opinion.

wolvored

Maguire is a decent defender. Dont know whats happened to his heading up the other end of the field though. Maybe the fact hes the most expensive defender in the world might play on his mind. Maybe hes played on the left of defence when he has played on the right everywhere else might throw him off a bit. Maybe he needs Bailly to be his regular partner, but hes starting to play better defensive wise. All defenders make errors its just with Maguire its £80 mill this £80 mill that. If we had bought him from Hull for £20 mill half the hate wouldnt be there

Red00012

He’s not worth the £80 million we paid but he’s our best defender and to call him over rated is rubbish because he never gets any plaudits either on here nor by pundits.

also lock this fecking thread

BR7

You’re talking nonsense, when you have lindelof next to you, you will always be impacted by his overall general uselessness. Lindelof isn’t even a CB but you’re popping at the best CB we have. Chuck a wobbly at lindelof who deserves it. Can’t head a ball has no real pace but he’s a centre half?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He's been excellent of late. Playing centre back has always been about partnerships. More than any other position on the field, you tend to remember great centre halves in pairs, Rio and Vidic, Bruce and Palluster, Hansen and Lawrenson etc. Bailly beside him has made a world of difference. I think it's fair to ask, VVD aside, how many other premier league centre backs his knockers would take instead of him.

Halftrack

You’re talking nonsense, when you have lindelof next to you, you will always be impacted by his overall general uselessness. Lindelof isn’t even a CB but you’re popping at the best CB we have. Chuck a wobbly at lindelof who deserves it. Can’t head a ball has no real pace but he’s a centre half?
You should try watching games sometime.

Karlos PFC

Where exactly have I mentioned Lindelof in the above post?

The argument was about Ramos being the most over-rated cb ever(no, obviously) against Maguire who the other poster claimed as elite cb based on this year's stats only.

lex talionis

I’m not sure what the point of this thread is, but what I’ll say here is that on their day both Maguire and Pogba are fantastic footballers.

Not intended to slag Slabhead, but at their peak of peaks Pogba is all-worlder, but Maguire is not.

Random Task

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Maguire has improved ten-folded since being partnered with Bailly and vice-versa. In them, we have two quality defenders who off-set one another's weaknesses. The ideal partnership.

Ole may have finally fixed the defence after years of mismatched failures under LVG and Jose.

Yet another one in the plus column for Ole

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Maguire has improved ten-folded since being partnered with Bailly and vice-versa. In them, we have two quality defenders who off-set one another's weaknesses. The ideal partnership.

Ole may have finally fixed the defence after years of mismatched failures under LVG and Jose.

Yet another one in the plus column for Ole
I agree. After only a few games it appears to be a pair a little bit greater than the sum of its parts. I'd had a lot of concerns about Bailly for a long time, but he looks very comfortable next to Maguire, and Maguire looks a bit better as a result.

In a way a little similar to Blind and Smalling in 15/16 - two decent-at-best players who also offset one another's flaws, at least for that season.