Maguire is just the latest United player to have this confidence destroyed by the (Social) Media

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
And you cant compare Scholes passing ability and Pogbas.
Scholes is my favourite AMC of that era. If I had to choose between him and Zidane, I'd choose Scholes. His passing was breathtaking. However Pogba's passing is at par to that. The problem with Pogba is his decision making not his passing ability.

U99ted

It doesnt have to be the majority. We have a massive fanbase so only a fraction of it would be millions then add in the opposition fans who revel in abusing our players any chance they get.
All players get trolled by opposition fans (most high profile people may get trolled in general), that is not unique to United. Also all fanbases have morons who “abuse” players, i.e. racist, homophobic, etc. Someone like Gareth Bale had to deal with abuse in person, such as having his car attacked by Madrid fans. Players are not signing up for a "torrent of abuse". The abusive people should be blocked and reported. Players are signing up for a high level of scrutiny, which normal for a club like this.

Now we have have opposition fans laughing at the club as Maguire’s performances are not befitting of a United captain. His price tag put a big target on his back last season, but largely solid performances meant the criticism level wasn’t like it is now. Had he gone the other way, and looked like our Van Dijk as we challenged for the title, opposition fans would be drinking their salty tears and our fanbase would be a lot less toxic. He is the professional athlete, it's up to him and his manager to pick up his performance. Do that, and the critics will be silenced and the praise will follow. That is what I want.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This is a good point actually, I never thought of it this way. It must be hard for the players' relatives to see all this shit and not let it impact them and the player they are related to.
Yep this is key - one of my former coworkers is the brother of a current NFL QB who has been often scrutinized unfairly and it absolutely takes a massive toll.

Magical Manchester United

It’s not his fault we paid up so much for him. It’s his fault for buying into the hype - that he’s worth what we paid for him, and that he actually thinks he’s better than he truly is. Just look at his feckin smug goal celebration. As if he’s fecking Nesta. Go practice stoicism or whatever helps him to give less fecks.

He’s a grown man. I’m sure Ole and him have had words about the Greece incident, and if he feels that he is not able to deal with the situation, then man up and communicate it. We have sport psychologists. Even if we don’t, he’s making a feck ton playing crap and can easily engage the best in the biz to get into his head and get him out of this funk.

Same for Lingard’s supposed depression. Man the feck up. There is always someone in a poorer situation than you are.
This is a very ignorant thing to say. Just because someone is in a "poorer situation" than you are, doesn't mean you can't suffer from depression, an illness. It's about as ridiculous as saying "How could Andy Cole suffer from kidney failure. He should man the feck up, there's always someone in a poorer situation."

Maguire is not as bad as people make out. Everyone was loving him during the World Cup. Yet as soon as he joins United, the anti United crowd suddenly decide he's awful. And then the pro united crowd do as well.

You always get twitter videos posted with the caption "£80 Million hahahahaha" and stuff like that. It was the same with Lukaku. Thing is, you could probably make a clip of any player making a mistake. You could probably find a clip of Robert Lewandowski missing an open goal and caption it something like "Best striker in the world?!?!"

Sara125

Why are people in here acting like they put Maguire in the gulag back in Greece? Jesus Christ. Maybe he is just playing poor? Has he even come out and said that he is affected mentally from the situation or are people just speculating and projecting?

U99ted

You always get twitter videos posted with the caption "£80 Million hahahahaha" and stuff like that. It was the same with Lukaku. Thing is, you could probably make a clip of any player making a mistake. You could probably find a clip of Robert Lewandowski missing an open goal and caption it something like "Best striker in the world?!?!"
That's the scrutiny you get at any (allegedly) elite club. If somebody made such a tweet about Lewa, Bayern fans would laugh them out of the building in the same way we laughed at those that doubted our best players under Sir Alex. Their performances and medal collections speak for themselves. Maguire & Lukaku, not so much.

I agree that Maguire isn't as bad as made out by some, however.

united for life

Poor Harry. An average player good for a mid-table team. Destroyed by being bought for 80 million and being made manchester united captain. 2 very poor decisions that the media couldn’t let go....

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If social media criticism effects you that much , then professional footballer is not the job for you. Go be librarian , bus driver etc etc

Of all the excuses(and that is the one thing we have an oversupply of in this club) it is a fairly pathetic one
This. 100%. Give me a fecking break! We are talking about club captain and a national team player, FFS.

bsCallout

Scholes is my favourite AMC of that era. If I had to choose between him and Zidane, I'd choose Scholes. His passing was breathtaking. However Pogba's passing is at par to that. The problem with Pogba is his decision making not his passing ability.
Pogba isnt even close. Scholes could tika taka & ping the ball all over. Pogba is decent at pinging it but even then is horribly inconsistent with it. Scholes nailed it 95% of the time. Pogba perhaps 50/50.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pogba isnt even close. Scholes could tika taka & ping the ball all over. Pogba is decent at pinging it but even then is horribly inconsistent with it. Scholes nailed it 95% of the time. Pogba perhaps 50/50.
Once again its decision making. Pogba's passing range is as good as Scholes's. The latter though knew when to go for the hollywood pass or when its wiser to just pass the ball quickly and shortly to a team mate. He didn't showboat.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Is this question/statement a joke? If he's so fragile that I can upset him, what's he going to do when a big nasty centre forward strides towards him?

jeepers

This is a very ignorant thing to say. Just because someone is in a "poorer situation" than you are, doesn't mean you can't suffer from depression, an illness. It's about as ridiculous as saying "How could Andy Cole suffer from kidney failure. He should man the feck up, there's always someone in a poorer situation."

Maguire is not as bad as people make out. Everyone was loving him during the World Cup. Yet as soon as he joins United, the anti United crowd suddenly decide he's awful. And then the pro united crowd do as well.

Kidney failure is different. I’m flabbergasted that you actually think that’s a good comparison. Depression? Yes it’s very real, but I truly doubt that Maguire’s suffering from depression. BUT if he is, he should approach the club’s sport psychologists. Or seek external help if the club’s options are lacking. And he should definitely communicate it openly. IF he has communicated it openly to Ole and staff, then the issue stems from shite man management at our club.

Top players make mistakes, sure, they are human after all. But have you seen the spurs match? Have you seen how Maguire wrestles Shaw to the ground? There was no feckin need to, so that’s not a mistake, it’s a less intelligent player making a dumb decision. Such a player shouldn’t be in our team, much less our captain. His performance against spurs was amateur at best. Sure it was a collective shite performance, but shoot me if I’m wrong to expect more from our captain.

I was never for his transfer, especially at the price we bought him for. He’s not worth even half that - but that is on the manager and scouting team, not him. Whoever identified Maguire as our saviour for our defence deserves to be sacked. He does not fit the manager’s system, period. Ole HAS to adjust our system to accommodate him.

Maguire has never been a top defender and he will never be a top defender. He will also never fit a high press system if the system only plays 2 CBs.