Maguire is just the latest United player to have this confidence destroyed by the (Social) Media

UmbroDays

As long as it is not personal/racist/sexist/homophobic, etc then it is fair game.

These players don't even post the pictures themselves and have their assistances do most of the comments. They made their social media profile be a representation of them, and when they under perform that is the only way that the fans can voice their opinion to "them"

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
"He's not the first to have his confidence destroyed by the media playing for United."

And? There's a reason why Fergie didn't buy every other talented player out there.

Mentality is probably the single most important quality you need to have as a United player. Evra and Vidic had terrible starts, but recovered. Ronaldo was dismissed as a showboating weakling but slowly became the world's best player by the end of his time at United.

If Maguire can't cope, it's a real problem for us because for some reason, he's captain and he's our most senior centre back.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
These big money signings should be made on teams that are more or less settled and just require that extra bit of potency to reach the top. Liverpool had a solid team that was used to Klopp's style, but had a clear weakness that needed resolving. So they went and spent big on Allison and Van Dijk. Turned out pretty well for them.

Our team just seems to be pretty turbulent with no real style of play. We're spending big money on these sorts of players when we don't even have a solid foundation for them to settle in first. So they're expected to save our team and propel us to the top all by themselves.
Add in the fact that we ask them to perform in different roles to what they impressed in previously too. We're not the smartest bunch are we?

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fans should stop treating players like they are small children ffs. He is criticised? So what? So are all other people on their jobs. If he can't take it then he can go play football in lower division. Or retire from football and do something else in life.
People on other (lower paid) jobs are criticised all the time, abused etc.
It is something which with you must deal with. Because...you are fecking adult!

Players are bunch of snowflakes these days. And fans are not far from it too

Posh Red

Fans should stop treating players like they are small children ffs. He is criticised? So what? So are all other people on their jobs. If he can't take it then he can go play football in lower division. Or retire from football and do something else in life.
People on other (lower paid) jobs are criticised all the time, abused etc.
It is something which with you must deal with. Because...you are fecking adult!

What are you basing this on?

RedRoach

What a ridiculous thread. I am sure many people would love to be in a position to be 'destroyed' by social media and earn millions at a time of economic hardship.

Some of the posters on this forum need a reality check.
I dunno, maybe I am weak mentally or whatever else folks are trying to push on this thread, but if I had the opportunity to be a professional footballer I think I would prefer to earn 50K less and play for Everton or Tottenham but still be rich than be hounded and harassed like players like Rashford, Maguire and AWB are.

SirAF

Ageist
This might sound harsh, but this is why we're nowhere competing at the top if our players are mentally this fragile. This is what happens at the very highest level of competitive sports.

We're not the only "big club" under this sort of scrutiny and i am afraid, the worse you perform (as either a team or individual), the more the vultures will be out in force.
Agreed. There has always been scrutiny at United and whether or not one likes it is a part of the game. Guys like Ronaldo and Becks thrived on the abuse and rose to even greater heights.

chiz2kul

The bias here is incredible. I understand the importance of mental health and how social media can affect one's psyche etc etc.
Where was this energy when kepa, pogba, lukaku etc were all going through dry spells and being abused like crazy (even moreso)? Very few people talked about mental health, he needs a break etc. Instead they were terrible etc.

Here are a fact - Maguire is sh1t. He always has been. He will be decent for a mid table side. But right now, he is just getting exposed given the massive expectations at the club/international level and being in the limelight. Yes, social media may play a part, but the bitter fact is that man utd overpayed for a mediocre defender and he is just getting exposed. Part of the role of a captain is to be mentally strong and take criticism but still perform! And that is nothing on toxic masculinity, please dont start.

The coddling and bias from the pundits and posters here is laughable. If you dont see it, then you need to do some serious soul searching.

RedRoach

If you can’t handle the heat, get out of the kitchen!
And maybe that is what it is down too, weak mentality in the players and that is it. Full stop. Still it does make me wonder how so many players (some of them very good ones) just cannot seem to perform for us. I am struggling to think of many signings who have truly been a success post Fergie. Are they all weak? Do we just attract mentally weak players? Or has something changed in the last 10 years that makes it particularly difficult and amplifies the pressure. Maybe I am wrong and just speculating, but it would be interesting to truly analyse the reasons for the persistent failure that has plagued this club.

Like others I am pretty sure if we had signed Sancho he would have turned to shit almost immediately or maybe had a 6 month honeymoon period (like Bruno) before things started going down the pan.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I'm starting to think there's way too many snowflakes in this current generation. Somebody looks at you the wrong way -> let's go on social media to cry about the injustice.

RedRoach

I'm starting to think there's way too many snowflakes in this current generation. Somebody looks at you the wrong way -> let's go on social media to cry about the injustice.
Interestingly the accusations of snowflakery tend to come from the older generation who engage far less on social media and when they do tend to fall into the trap of reading and believing all the fake news that is published on these platforms including articles about how the current generation are snowflakes because it makes them feel better and justifies their fixed conservative views ;)

Remember the geese

I never wanted us to sign him. I thought he was an ok defender, but felt he was too slow. However, I stupidly allowed my friends to convince me that he was the second coming of Vidic. Well not quite, but you know what I mean. Anyway, I thought he did alright last season. Solid enough.

This season however, has shown me that he has no business being at our club. As frail mentally, as Lindelof is physically. Quite the pair really. This may appear reactionary, but no more knee-jerk than the decision to give him the captaincy. True winners respond. Think Beckham. Think Ronaldo. Think Eric before them.

I'd like to see us move towards a more dynamic centre back pairing. Bailly, Tuanzebe and Mengi have this in spades, but lack in other areas. Is there a centre back out there (who isn't Van Dijk), who is aerially dominant, good on the ball, quick and not injury prone? Am I asking for too much?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I don't think the players are too affected directly by the comments, in fact it probably brings them light relief at the most stressful times, what better way to reply to some dumb no-mark on twitter tweeting that(in Maguire's case) he/you is.are the worst f***ing cb in the history of shite cb's I hope he/you die, than, Indeed I am mate/love but I get paid £150,000 a week for the privilege of proving you right! Laterz

No it's the players parents, children, family members that get affected by it more, which in turn affects the players

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Interestingly the accusations of snowflakery tend to come from the older generation who engage far less on social media and when they do tend to fall into the trap of reading and believing all the fake news that is published on these platforms including articles about how the current generation are snowflakes because it makes them feel better and justifies their fixed conservative views ;)
I've deleted FB for this reason. Seeing your friends,relatives,.. complain about the most idiotic stuff ever. The world's fecking doomed

Class of 63

Sourness
I never wanted us to sign him. I thought he was an ok defender, but felt he was too slow. However, I stupidly allowed my friends to convince me that he was the second coming of Vidic. Well not quite, but you know what I mean. Anyway, I thought he did alright last season. Solid enough.

This season however, has shown me that he has no business being at our club. As frail mentally, as Lindelof is physically. Quite the pair really. This may appear reactionary, but no more knee-jerk than the decision to give him the captaincy. True winners respond. Think Beckham. Think Ronaldo. Think Eric before them.

I'd like to see us move towards a more dynamic centre back pairing. Bailly, Tuanzebe and Mengi have this in spades, but lack in other areas. Is there a centre back out there (who isn't Van Dijk), who is aerially dominant, good on the ball, quick and not injury prone? Am I asking for too much?
Yes you are, and in the wrong thread.

RedRoach

I've deleted FB for this reason. Seeing your friends,relatives,.. complain about the most idiotic stuff ever. The world's fecking doomed
Yeah me too, deleted my account 4 years ago when I saw where it was all going. The world is indeed in a sad state of affairs. :(

vangagal

Beckham did just fine after 98, Cristiano did just fine after 04's wink. Oh well, arrest by police must be on another level it seems.

RashyForPM

Interestingly enough, our defence was much much worse when our attack didn't work either. We scored 36 and conceded 29 (in 24 games) before signing Bruno; we scored 30 and conceded 7 in the 14 games after signing Bruno.

So when our attack was a problem, the defence was a problem, too. Basically, if the attack can't keep the pressure on the opponent, our defence crumbles.
Off-topic but I really thought Ole was building something special when this happened. Believed that he’d finally made it click. The season hasn’t started well and that 1-6 has made me Ole out, but let’s see what happens.

Back on topic, Maguire just has to take the criticism in the correct manner and respond accordingly. Play well, and there’ll be 0 abuse or criticism.

RedRoach

I don't think the players are too affected directly by the comments, in fact it probably brings them light relief at the most stressful times, what better way to reply to some dumb no-mark on twitter tweeting that(in Maguire's case) he/you is.are the worst f***ing cb in the history of shite cb's I hope he/you die, than, Indeed I am mate/love but I get paid £150,000 a week for the privilege of proving you right! Laterz

No it's the players parents, children, family members that get affected by it more, which in turn affects the players
This is a good point actually, I never thought of it this way. It must be hard for the players' relatives to see all this shit and not let it impact them and the player they are related to.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Agreed. There has always been scrutiny at United and whether or not one likes it is a part of the game. Guys like Ronaldo and Becks thrived on the abuse and rose to even greater heights.
Yeah man, this is part of the parcel and scrutiny that comes with playing for United. Even moreso as the Captain and when the team isn't performing. If you really can't handle this, OT might not be the stage for you, IMO.

Remember the geese

Yes you are, and in the wrong thread.
Apologies. My post was a general critique of the player himself, with references to his weak mentality. A mentality that has been exposed due to the limelight he is now under, more so than ever. I then concluded by asking for any solutions in the transfer market. All in all, I was perhaps a little loose with regards to the thread title, but it's the way he has crumbled under such scrutiny that has stamped down my current feelings towards him.

Posh Red

You have to laugh at the ‘snowflake’ accusations being thrown around. A) has the player himself said he is struggling with the stress of social media etc? and B) tonnes of players from the so called ‘good old days’ turned to drink, drugs, gambling, promiscuity etc, yet they are meant to be the tough guys? Do me a favour :lol:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The players need to stay off social media and avoid all media. It's not hard to avoid the British press, I do it. They should only be concentrating on playing football, attending to their families/girlfriends or whomever and that's it. If no wife or girlfriend, then playstation or watch a damn movie.
I would suggest reading a book but I'm not too sure how many will do that.

That's the only way to preserve the sanity.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Meh - name me a defender of ours who hasn't got worse since joining the club. Are they all weak minded?

How can they grow in confidence and technical ability when they are playing a lousy system with not enough coaching.

Greck

Maguire was actually at times responsible for calamitous defending last season, he just had that Phil Jones luck where his mistakes went unpunished and hence overlooked. Am talking mistakes a player at his level should never make. That luck ran out and the pendulum has swung hard in the other direction where his every mistake is now leading to a goal. Also doesn't help we now push up high and expose his weaknesses

Irwin99

He'll be fine, and his career at United will probably stay at the same level it's been so far (ok/decent/good) for the next few years. For 80 million though I think it's fair to expect more (not his fault on the price but still). Expectations come with that kind of money and the scrutiny is nothing that the likes of Keane, Beckham, Ronaldo and Rooney haven't all been through as well.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Meh - name me a defender of ours who hasn't got worse since joining the club. Are they all weak minded?

How can they grow in confidence and technical ability when they are playing a lousy system with not enough coaching.
Even so, we shouldn't be abusing players. People on social media should not be getting personal. The toxicity is not gonna help anybody.

Will Singh

And maybe that is what it is down too, weak mentality in the players and that is it. Full stop. Still it does make me wonder how so many players (some of them very good ones) just cannot seem to perform for us. I am struggling to think of many signings who have truly been a success post Fergie. Are they all weak? Do we just attract mentally weak players? Or has something changed in the last 10 years that makes it particularly difficult and amplifies the pressure. Maybe I am wrong and just speculating, but it would be interesting to truly analyse the reasons for the persistent failure that has plagued this club.

Like others I am pretty sure if we had signed Sancho he would have turned to shit almost immediately or maybe had a 6 month honeymoon period (like Bruno) before things started going down the pan.
It’s a big club and it needs a big strong leader like SAF was. SAF proved it’s not the players that win things it’s the team. SAF defended he’s players and kept them in line since he’s gone it’s the players who are running the club and taking the piss!

Class of 63

Sourness
This is a good point actually, I never thought of it this way. It must be hard for the players' relatives to see all this shit and not let it impact them and the player they are related to.
The players probably get more grief/ridiculing when they are actually playing(not at the minute obviously because there's no fans) than they do from faceless cowards on Social Media but the family are usual shielded from it in private boxes and such like, but they can't be from social media because even if they don't use the platforms the sick stuff is on there's always some sad sap that will take great pleasure in passing it on feigning concern "I just thought it's best you know ....", That's the head-mashing stuff that the players have to deal with, and not sure what the answer is.

Class of 63

Sourness
Apologies. My post was a general critique of the player himself, with references to his weak mentality. A mentality that has been exposed due to the limelight he is now under, more so than ever. I then concluded by asking for any solutions in the transfer market. All in all, I was perhaps a little loose with regards to the thread title, but it's the way he has crumbled under such scrutiny that has stamped down my current feelings towards him.
Nah I was joking, it would affect most people though they may not want to admit it, but in Maguire's case I think it's more him not being fully up to speed physically more than him crumbling.

U99ted

The common thing footballers say they don't miss are the gutwrenching nerves before a game once they've retired.

Add to that with a onslaught of opinions that ALL lambast and criticize your professional performance day in and day out.

And you wonder why he might be struggling mentally?

Let's pretend that where you work, you try your best and you *think* you are doing well, or are at least conscious of your performances. Perhaps you're not perfect, but you are trying.

Let's also pretend that your profession has a few thousand online commentators, TV spokespeople and journalists who all talk negatively about all your efforts, day in and day out. Everything you do is TERRIBLE. YOU are the cause your departments struggles and YOU should be moved away so your co-workers don't have to be dragged down because for all you attempts, you just SUCK at your job that you pour your heart and soul into. you, you, you, YOU, YOU!!

"Grown ass man should be able to cope". Yeah, good luck with that.
Nope, I don't agree.

They face gut-wrenching nerves because they can either win or lose. It's not lose or lose.

If I wasn't meeting my key performance indicators, I would easily know that I wasn't performing well, and it would be my responsibility to improve, or at least look for the support to be able to improve. I hope you don't embody the burning house "everything is fine" meme in your line of work.

In football, you win and the praise follows. There's always idiots on social media, but this isn't about the trolling by a few. It's about criticism for poor performance. Underperformance causes the criticism, not the other way around. Football players should not be above criticism.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Nope, I don't agree.

They face gut-wrenching nerves because they can either win or lose. It's not lose or lose.

If I wasn't meeting my key performance indicators, I would easily know that I wasn't performing well, and it would be my responsibility to improve, or at least look for the support to be able to improve. I hope you don't embody the burning house "everything is fine" meme in your line of work.

In football, you win and the praise follows. There's always idiots on social media, but this isn't about the trolling by a few. It's about criticism for poor performance. Underperformance causes the criticism, not the other way around. Football players should not be above criticism.

Why would he give a f about online comments etc.?? Is he obliged to be involved in those activities. He can hire 43 people for 1000k a week each to manage his online presence. And he wouldn't even notice that he's paying them.

I would expect my boss to tell me if he thinks I am doing a bad job. Ofcourse, if I didn't, I would suffer repercussions that would threaten me and my family's existence.

And for 120-200k a week guaranteed no matter what? For playing football????
What the feck are you people talking about?
He can buy a solution for almost every single problem he faces in life. His problems are social media abuse? Well boo-hooo-fecking---hoooo. I'm worried my tears will flood my cardboard box home.
It would be great if both of you could read what I actually wrote and try to relate the sitaution to your own person.

Players arent above critcism, that isn't the point. The point is that a negative feedback loop is going to affect you, it doesnt matter what your job is.

As for Maguires paycheck: Money doesn't make you happy, but it sure as shit makes finding happiness easier. If you're in money long enough it starts to lose meaning and problems are still problems. This notion that a players paycheck makes them invulnerable to criticism or any hardship is such bullshit. Sure being poor and suddenly having money is pure euphoria, but 10 years down the line its a bit "whatever".

I'm happy that you mention key performance, yet somehow you just don't correlate that you might feel a bit shit if you're unable to improve after desperately trying.

I think you both went out of your way to criticize my post because you just don't agree that Harry Maguire should not be lambasted and criticized. Again, that is NOT the point of my post. Not even close.

AFC NimbleThumb

He has been hung out to dry by his midfield against Spurs. Yes he made a mistake in his header for the first goal but he should never have been put in that position to head it back in the first place.
Now he is trying too hard. The court case is adding the stress on his game and coupled with the disastrous start of United is making it worse.
Ole needs to back him publicly just like SAF did to all of his players.
So because [you perceive] the midfield made a mistake it makes his calamitous defending their fault :lol:

You do understand by that reductive philosophy no one is ever at fault for anything.

Whataboutery in regards to no.5 truly doesn’t cease to amaze. He’s been in poor form since Project Restart but I guess getting spun by Stanislas, Bergwijn & marking his own player against Southampton were all because he knew he was going to get into a spot of bother at a mass social gathering during a pandemic. . . sorry, get arrested in Greece.

Ask Jaap Stam how backed he felt by SAF before adding a dash of hyperbole to your posts; there was no one more cut throat. Veron in, didn’t settle - out. I could go on. . .

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I can only laugh at these modern problems faced by millionaires, it's not like the fans are outside his home screaming and throwing things, he can easily decide to not look at the social media. If he has no problem cashing in on his fame in the social media then he should equally be prepared to face online criticism also.

I'm not trying to belittle online trolling or harassment faced by common people but he is different isn't he?
How exactly is he different?

ReallyUSA

I get that and respect that, but it comes with the territory of all the big clubs. So unless players want to hide at Leicester or one of those midtable Italian clubs, they better adjust accordingly. I see footballers all the time block comments so if they do login they won't have to deal with it. Hell, Drake had to do it after the kid situation. Adapt and overcome.

U99ted

It would be great if both of you could read what I actually wrote and try to relate the sitaution to your own person.

Players arent above critcism, that isn't the point. The point is that a negative feedback loop is going to affect you, it doesnt matter what your job is.

As for Maguires paycheck: Money doesn't make you happy, but it sure as shit makes finding happiness easier. If you're in money long enough it starts to lose meaning and problems are still problems. This notion that a players paycheck makes them invulnerable to criticism or any hardship is such bullshit. Sure being poor and suddenly having money is pure euphoria, but 10 years down the line its a bit "whatever".

I'm happy that you mention key performance, yet somehow you just don't correlate that you might feel a bit shit if you're unable to improve after desperately trying.

I think you both went out of your way to criticize my post because you just don't agree that Harry Maguire should not be lambasted and criticized. Again, that is NOT the point of my post. Not even close.
Negative feedback may have an effect, true, but if it's constant and somehow can't turn it around no matter what happens, they're not competent enough for the job. Therefore a player stuck in the cycle of failure > criticism > low confidence > failure should leave or be released. Obviously that is the wider issue at this club. It is not too late for Maguire who I thought was decent last season, but you have someone at the club like Jones getting offered new contracts.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
When you play for a big team, and you perform dog shit, you will be called out on it eventually.

It's not just Maguire. Look at Giggs (at one point got fans applauding him being subbed off), Kepa, Forlan, Alli, Hazard, Bale, Torres, Aubamayang (when his record against the big teams was zero goals) and even people used to say Henry wasnt a big game player.

Some players thrive off the criticism and come back stronger (CR7, Becks, Aubamayang) and others let their head drop (Lukaku, Maguire).

If a player wants an easy ride, don't transfer to the biggest teams.

When I used to work at smaller broadcasters, it was so chilled, I was able to do bare minimum work and all was nice and easy. Now I work for Sky, there's so much more pressure. I knew that comes with the territory so not gonna complain about it.