Maguire is just the latest United player to have this confidence destroyed by the (Social) Media

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its alright, guys. He should be able to take constant OTT abuse because he earns loads of money..or something..

GazTheLegend

Oh poor kid, should we offer a hug and say it's ok as he's only 27? Maybe if he wasn't a donkey constantly fecking up and gifting away goals the fans wouldn't criticize him. JLingz all over again, he's not bad it's because of the abuse by the fans. Captain :lol:
These are our "fans"?

How embarassing

Enfant terrible

Indeed this does impact normal people, we are basically conducting a world wide uncontrolled social experiment on this generation. As a parent of teenagers it truly scares me what is happening in the world as we see mass polarisation, memes, fake news, hate campaigns, systematic brain washing and so on happening through Social Media on a mass scale.

But why dehumanise footballers? Of course they are privileged, well off members of society just as actors, singers etc. are but does that make them immune to the psychological damage and pressure of Social Media. I don't think so at least.
What are you talking about?
Turn the fecking phone off and suddenly there is no social media pressure.
He has all the conditions he needs to voluntary choose not to personally participate in social media. He can live in absolute independence from the world around him, he can arrange his life so that it doesn't have any impact on him whatsoever.
Your teenage kids can't. Plus, they're what, 14? He's 27.
He can buy an island, inhabit it with people he choses and... well you get it by now.

Tell me one reason he needs to read what other people think about him. It's his personal choice.

manunited1919

Whatever happens, it is clear he is not captain material, he is too mentally fragile. I don’t think Ole should take his armband right away, because then his confidence suffers another knock, but Ole should bench him a few games and have Bruno be captain in the meantime.

Giggsy13

Rival supporters soaking in and enjoying the Maguire abuse is one thing but seeing our own supporters go after him is another. It really is pathetic and shows the sad state of our supporters generally and where our club is at currently.

He didn’t ask to be an £80 million player. That price is sheer incompetence on the part of Ed Woodward. Maguire is a good CB but just not worth that price. I hope for his sake he proves the sad and toxic supporters in our own fanbase wrong.

Ekeke

Im sorry but the comments these players get compared to Smalling and Jones when they've tweeted arent even comparible. We have our "supporters" reply saying they arent footballers etc. I cant fathom how people have the nerve to hide behind their computers and say things like these to professional footballers. Cowards certainly wouldnt say it in real life.

GBBQ

Its alright, guys. He should be able to take constant OTT abuse because he earns loads of money..or something..
Taking a step back from some of the more idiotic comments being made about the situation, what is the answer when your club captain is out of form due to matters off the pitch? Do we continue to play him and hope his form improves? Do we give him a break from football and recommend he steps away from social media. Are there deeper issues at play here?

He's not the same player since Greece and as club captain he will continue to be in the firing line for the media and for social media until his form recovers.

RUCK4444

Come off social media would be the obvious answer
This is the answer. As should everybody, I have zero form of social media in my life, the caf is the nearest thing to it.

I grew up in the 90’s and so wish my kids were able to. I cannot stand any form of social media influence.

Why should you give a flying feck what somebody you never met thinks about you? And why do you care about them?

You don’t need to, I learned that a long time ago in an era where to make a friend or meet a girl you get off your feckin arse and go outside.

Social media is for showing off and spouting off.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If he was foreign then everyone would breathing at his neck including the very pundits who are defending him as if he is their son.

SlimDizzle075

Maguire is a good guy and a really good CB. We need to show the guy some love. He needs a refresh/rest to get himself fit and happy.

flappyjay

He a earns a lot of money so he should stay out of social media in order to be able to focus on the job he gets paid for. If internet trolls get to you its simple get off social media. United players earn social media money by using their affiliation to the club hence why no matter how bad it gets they don't turn it off.

Foxbatt

He has been hung out to dry by his midfield against Spurs. Yes he made a mistake in his header for the first goal but he should never have been put in that position to head it back in the first place.
Now he is trying too hard. The court case is adding the stress on his game and coupled with the disastrous start of United is making it worse.
Ole needs to back him publicly just like SAF did to all of his players.

LARulz

I think he is in over his head and is not good enough. I have been a critic of him

But as somebody who has had mental health issues, I feel sorry for him. Yes he earns a shit ton and all that, but ultimately that doesn't stop what's going on inside your head immediately.

We as a society are trying to normalise mental health yet we (me included at times till I remember), are happy to absolutely terrorise someone. Then when something goes wrong people will say 'yeah, we should have known'.

As much as he annoys me, he hasn't seemed to be a dick so I feel sorry for him at times. He looked broken when he got sent off.

He needs time off to get help and reset himself even just a bit.

If people honestly cannot see how getting abuse from every corner of the world hurts you mentally (and impact his performance as he overthinks) then you are insane

Blueman

Supports
Man City
If United were winning right now these headlines wouldnt exist. Or to put it another way, if an lfc player did precisely the same right now he wouldnt get the negative headlines and media hate anywhere near as much. Fans follow what the media says and join in, or not

Being a media favourite is a double edged sword, utd are a different type of clickbait nowadays

el3mel

All players get attacked on social media. If you can't cope with it, close your account and never enter it. This is a lame excuse to be honest.

Eli Zee

I'm all for supporting your players and teammates, but at the end of the day he is paid to do a job and if he doesn't do that job well enough, another player should take it over.

Giggsy13

It’s as simple as this, we are directing our hate for the Glazers and Woodward at our own players. fecking give it a rest. Maguire is here to play football, he’s not controlling what our idiot board and owners are willing to pay for players.

I didn’t know that our supporter base was so virtuous, never did no wrong. fecking cnuts the lot of you who are attacking your own players and sinking to the lows of our rival supporters. Let be clear as well, it’s fair to criticize our own players and their performances but what’s being tossed at Maguire is so vile and beyond what’s normal critique shows what shit our supporters have become.

Jacob

He's not as bad as has been made out in the main, it's just that he's prone to crazy headless chicken moments where it's like he's having a panic attack or something. Bizarre dribbling masterclass vs Chelsea in the heesy as it may sound, if social media stuff is such an issue, then do the opposite. Spam his and Utd accounts with messages of support.
The common thing footballers say they don't miss are the gutwrenching nerves before a game once they've retired.

Add to that with a onslaught of opinions that ALL lambast and criticize your professional performance day in and day out.

And you wonder why he might be struggling mentally?

Let's pretend that where you work, you try your best and you *think* you are doing well, or are at least conscious of your performances. Perhaps you're not perfect, but you are trying.

Let's also pretend that your profession has a few thousand online commentators, TV spokespeople and journalists who all talk negatively about all your efforts, day in and day out. Everything you do is TERRIBLE. YOU are the cause your departments struggles and YOU should be moved away so your co-workers don't have to be dragged down because for all you attempts, you just SUCK at your job that you pour your heart and soul into. you, you, you, YOU, YOU!!

"Grown ass man should be able to cope". Yeah, good luck with that.
That's a jibe at Lukaku fyi.

Coleyoscar

He has been hung out to dry by his midfield against Spurs. Yes he made a mistake in his header for the first goal but he should never have been put in that position to head it back in the first place.
Now he is trying too hard. The court case is adding the stress on his game and coupled with the disastrous start of United is making it worse.
Ole needs to back him publicly just like SAF did to all of his players.
Agree completely. United players like Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo were singled out for particular abuse from opposition fans over the years. Some media types disgraced themselves on those ocassions by helping to wind up the hysteria. Our response then was to stand by our players and support them even more. It's disappointing that some United fans appear to be joining the lynch mob this time.

Harry Maguire is going through a tough time and needs our support. Criticising any player's performance is perfectly legitimate of course but let's not give legitimacy to the serial critics and their anti-United agenda.

R'hllor

So what was said about/to him? I see, only its really bad, disgusting etc.

Posh Red

All players get attacked on social media. If you can't cope with it, close your account and never enter it. This is a lame excuse to be honest.
Don't think it is always that simple though to be honest. What about your kids, and their friends? Your family and friends etc. These things tend to find a way through whether you use social media or not I would imagine.

redIndianDevil

I can only laugh at these modern problems faced by millionaires, it's not like the fans are outside his home screaming and throwing things, he can easily decide to not look at the social media. If he has no problem cashing in on his fame in the social media then he should equally be prepared to face online criticism also.

I'm not trying to belittle online trolling or harassment faced by common people but he is different isn't he?

el3mel

Don't think it is always that simple though to be honest. What about your kids, and their friends? Your family and friends etc. These things tend to find a way through whether you use social media or not I would imagine.
It happens to all players. Yes social media fans are stupid, but there's nothing that can be done about it. You are a popular figure playing at a supposedly top club so you will be under the radar of millions of fans as well. You simply need to cope with it. At the end they are just anonymous users insulting you, you can definitely get past it. Much easier to do than asking for the millions on Twitter to start becoming respectful.

pascell

Depay is 100% the player that suffered the most due to confidence being knocked, the guy looked like he'd never played football before in that Stoke game.

But if they can't deal with extra pressure and scrutiny, they shouldn't make the move to United, everyone wants us to lose.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
For me he has always looked a bit stiff & awkward throughout his career. He isn't too quick on the turn at times & if he wasn't english, he would have went for under half the price paid for him. Anyone roughly agree?

bsCallout

Like Pogba, hes a very good player, but doesnt impact the team relative to his fee and that comes with unbelievable scrutiny.

If both players cost 40mil we'd be thinking what better player can we get to play next to them.

For the fees you could get 2 cb's for one Maguire and 2 cm's for one Pogba that could make our team exceptionally better.

The big money signings have been our worst mistakes. That's why I'm glad we didnt get Sancho too.

DoomSlayer

I wonder how Real Madrid players cope with their fanbase and media, which is a few times worse than what happens with us.

Football became the biggest sport on the planet due to passion and emotion of the fans. It's slowly been removed in the last decades and players no longer feel the connection to the football club they are playing at, it's too "professional" in my opinion.

We used to consistently have a squad of players who were willing to put their bodies on the line for the sake of the club progressing. Now we have Bailly that throws himself in any dangerous situation and people call him reckless. Our squad lacks the balls and the winners mentality required to reach the top. We aren't nasty enough and the players don't seem to demand enough from each other. Fernandes is very passionate in that way and yet some people were defending the other underperforming players.

Maguire is such a big man but his whole demeanour looks weak, I'm sure opposition players can feel his meekness and uncertainty, taking full advantage of the fact that our players don't seem to be fighting for each other on the pitch. That's why we continue to have those huge drops in form, morale is down and the players are probably feeling sorry for themselves, instead of fighting back. Mourinho was right in that sense to accuse the squad, but his mistake was that he did it publicly and that he was also weak and decided to give up, which fecked up our whole season and he got more than deservedly sacked.

bsCallout

Depay is 100% the player that suffered the most due to confidence being knocked, the guy looked like he'd never played football before in that Stoke game.

But if they can't deal with extra pressure and scrutiny, they shouldn't make the move to United, everyone wants us to lose.
One of the problems with this though is unlike ex-players, our current players dont have a strong dressing room to support them, on or off the pitch.

lex talionis

Unless you’re marketing your brand like Lingard or megastars like Ronaldo, social media fukks the head of its users in one way or another. We’d be better off as a civilization if we learned how to consume social media in moderation.

But the issue for Maguire really isn’t social media. His head is shattered going back to the Greece incident, which was stupidity on his part to begin with. But here we are now and it would be a good thing for him if he could take a few weeks off to sort things out. I was disappointed to see him called to duty for England, which wasn’t such a great idea for anyone.

DoomSlayer

The big money signings have been our worst mistakes. That's why I'm glad we didnt get Sancho too.
Totally agree. I was against the Sancho signing from the very beginning due to that reason, the annoyance came from the fact that we didn't sign the players on time and the proper left-footed RW is coming in January at the earliest.

If we had all the players before the season started, our position would be much, much stronger.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What a ridiculous thread. I am sure many people would love to be in a position to be 'destroyed' by social media and earn millions at a time of economic hardship.

Some of the posters on this forum need a reality check.

Raw

Like Pogba, hes a very good player, but doesnt impact the team relative to his fee and that comes with unbelievable scrutiny.

If both players cost 40mil we'd be thinking what better player can we get to play next to them.

For the fees you could get 2 cb's for one Maguire and 2 cm's for one Pogba that could make our team exceptionally better.

These big money signings should be made on teams that are more or less settled and just require that extra bit of potency to reach the top. Liverpool had a solid team that was used to Klopp's style, but had a clear weakness that needed resolving. So they went and spent big on Allison and Van Dijk. Turned out pretty well for them.

Our team just seems to be pretty turbulent with no real style of play. We're spending big money on these sorts of players when we don't even have a solid foundation for them to settle in first. So they're expected to save our team and propel us to the top all by themselves.

zenith

Maguire is a good guy and needs our support as club captain.

If our own fans hate on him, then there is very little hope for the club

rhajdu

How does the club prevent players being taken down by the mob on Social Media and having their confidence destroyed? The other day I watched the "Social Dilemma" on Netflix and it was an eye opener in terms of how the constant barrage of media can impact individuals psychologically and cause serious problems with younger people in terms of their self esteem, how is this any different for players?
I held cyberbullying sessions in primary and secondary schools for years and I am currently studying psychology at a university. It is not different. I am pretty sure that it is affecting them mentally and the Club provide them pyschologist so they are able to cope with it.

It might also affects their familiy members (especially their children) and friends and some of you expect all of them to avoid the social media, the newspapers and the television (and people in general).

There are a very few healthy people who could endure such a hatred and most of us - at least I hope so - are lucky enough to not experience such a situation.

Posh Red

It happens to all players. Yes social media fans are stupid, but there's nothing that can be done about it. You are a popular figure playing at a supposedly top club so you will be under the radar of millions of fans as well. You simply need to cope with it. At the end they are just anonymous users insulting you, you can definitely get past it. Much easier to do than asking for the millions on Twitter to start becoming respectful.
Yeah I agree mate. Personally I am not a fan of social media, and this forum is the closest I come to any form of it. It is shit but as you say it is part of life now