Maguire is just the latest United player to have this confidence destroyed by the (Social) Media

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Even so, we shouldn't be abusing players. People on social media should not be getting personal. The toxicity is not gonna help anybody.
Yeah agreed. And telling young people not to use social media is a waste of time.

But everyone knows social media is a hate pit. It's just something you have to deal with tbh.

Josep Dowling

I’ve said before there is a huge media cloud against United. Somehow us losing 6-1 to Spurs with a man sent off in the 28th minute was more newsworthy than the dominate Champions losing 7-2 against a relegation battling team.

Since then the Project Big Picture campaign was lead by BOTH Liverpool and Manchester United owners. Where is the hatred towards Liverpool’s owners? Why are the media only targeting the Glazers in this row.

You can say this about anything that involves us and it must impact on the players. Most of them are in their early to mid twenties where social media will be just as addictive as it is to most people of their age.

Remember the geese

Why would you take the evidence of only 3 matches over an entire season?
For me, it isn't just that he's performed poorly so far this season, it's more the perceived lack of character and mental fragility that he seems to show. I don't see any leadership skills from our captain. No fight or desire. It could well be that he is lacking fitness or in poor form, like many of his teammates. However in light of how his Summer went, I'd expect a reaction from him. A reaction similar to that shown by our former captain's and great players when in adversity and not allow idiots like me the excuse to perform amateur psychology in order to condemn him.

Last edited:

RC89

I'd suggest he NEEDS less confidence. His price tag has probably gotten to his head. The Hollywood balls, the dribbling around in circles under pressure (can't remember what game it was but would make a great gag reel), trying to run through his own players to get 'stuck in'. He needs to take it down a peg and keep it simple

Brad_Piff

Maguire is going his first spell of bad form under the spotlight - every player goes through it at some point in their careers. Unfortunately, being in such a significant position on the field where each passage of play is started from him (for United and England), each error is highlighted even more so. He may or may not have the mental fortitude to go through this spell, and I'd (as well as Ole) would rather find this out now, than in a crunch game for a title run in or a Champions League final.

Let's see what happens over the next 4-5 games and whether he can get through it. The next game will show much he 'wants' to be a United captain, rather than being the least worst pick.

Reactions: Jippy

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
For me, it isn't just that he's performed poorly so far this season, it's more the perceived lack of character and mental fragility that he seems to show. I don't see any leadership skills from our captain. No fight or desire. It could well be that he is lacking fitness or in poor form, like many of his teammates. However in light of how his Summer went, I'd expect a reaction from him. A reaction similar to that shown by our former captain's and great players when in adversity and not allow idiots like me the excuse to perform amateur psychology in order to condemn him.
I think that's harsh. The guy played every minute in the league last season, and many more Cup matches on top of that. I realise that this in itself isn't unheard of, but even so there must have been times when he was playing hurt or incredibly fatigued. That, for me, is leadership.

Even Keane and Robson, arguably our two best modern day captains and two players that I adore, did some stupid shit at times that hurt the team.

I suspect that we'll look back on this as just a period of poor form at the back end of a summer that he'll probably want to forget.

Bobski

He is just not that good of a defender, and I am not sure how he ever acquired the reputation of being so. Good footballer, absolutely, but he played like this for long spells of his final season at Leicester and for some reason it was willfully ignored. I can see fans being taken in by the runs forward, composure on the ball and aerial presence, especially if most of what they see are little montages on MOTD but the scouts at Utd should be better. His weaknesses were obvious but we have Utd playing a high line with no pace around him.

Remember the geese

I think that's harsh. The guy played every minute in the league last season, and many more Cup matches on top of that. I realise that this in itself isn't unheard of, but even so there must have been times when he was playing hurt or incredibly fatigued. That, for me, is leadership.

Even Keane and Robson, arguably our two best modern day captains and two players that I adore, did some stupid shit at times that hurt the team.

I suspect that we'll look back on this as just a period of poor form at the back end of a summer that he'll probably want to forget.
Yeah, I was quite pleased with his contribution last season. Hopefully you're right mate. I'm not one to attack our players, generally I'm accused of being too much the other way. Think part of the frustration is the constant one step forward, two steps back routine. Maguire was the solid, dependable, constant in this, but seemingly not any longer. Really hope he gets his head straight.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Last season Maguire made his mistakes, as did the rest of the defence, but make no mistake the defence was not the problem since we scored only 60 goals and had we had a fully functioning attack many of the draws / defeats would have ended up as wins.

The thing is there is no flawless defender, I have watched VVD several times and he has made several errors that have led to goals that have subsequently been papered over by Liverpool's superb attack.

Queue the end of the season and Maguire's trip to Greece followed by the hysterics in the media and since then it has been a downward spiral with even former United players in for him.

He seems to have become the latest target for the crazies on Social Media to crucify. Look at any thread on Twitter about Maguire and it is disgraceful.

Now this is not the first time this has happened. Smalling suffered the same fate. Many signings have turned into turds as soon as they have joined United as the cesspit of hysteria surrounding the club on Social Media and the Media in general strangles the life out of them.

United are in the spotlight 24/7 and that has its advantages (money) and major disadvantages as the players have to face an onslaught of hate from fans on Social Media which feeds into pundits' analysis on TV in the actual media.

I am not sure what the solutions is, clearly the players need super thick skin but that is not easy given how things get out of hand on Social Media. I am convinced Maguire is not as bad as we have seen this season and it is confidence issue that is being caused by being placed under the magnifying glass.

How does the club prevent players being taken down by the mob on Social Media and having their confidence destroyed? The other day I watched the "Social Dilemma" on Netflix and it was an eye opener in terms of how the constant barrage of media can impact individuals psychologically and cause serious problems with younger people in terms of their self esteem, how is this any different for players?
Delete his social media?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah, I was quite pleased with his contribution last season. Hopefully you're right mate. I'm not one to attack our players, generally I'm accused of being too much the other way. Think part of the frustration is the constant one step forward, two steps back routine. Maguire was the solid, dependable, constant in this, but seemingly not any longer. Really hope he gets his head straight.
Definitely. With all the work I'm sure that Ole is trying to do to reset the culture at the club, having incidents with Harry (who knows what really happened), AWB (stupid) and Greenwood (very stupid) was a disappointment.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think it's more like he's United captain but playing so shite, that destroy his confidence, no?

redcafe_reader

I dunno, maybe I am weak mentally or whatever else folks are trying to push on this thread, but if I had the opportunity to be a professional footballer I think I would prefer to earn 50K less and play for Everton or Tottenham but still be rich than be hounded and harassed like players like Rashford, Maguire and AWB are.
That's fair, but in that case, you are not fit to wear the United shirt and that's completely ok. If you are a United player and have that mentality, then it will be a problem.

markhughes

The lad is obviously going through a rough time, professionally and personally and it’s clearly affecting his confidence and performance.

If you were having a rough time at work you would be given a little time and support to pull things around and maybe a little time off if you needed it. We seem to think that somehow millionaire footballers don’t need the same level of support and that the answer is to never play for us again.

For me he needs a little break to rest and get himself together, no doubt he is trying to show mental toughness to get through the issues he is having but everyone needs a little help and support sometimes.

He had a decent season last year (and a number of good seasons before Utd) and there is no reason he can’t turn it around in future.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Like Pogba, hes a very good player, but doesnt impact the team relative to his fee and that comes with unbelievable scrutiny.

If both players cost 40mil we'd be thinking what better player can we get to play next to them.

For the fees you could get 2 cb's for one Maguire and 2 cm's for one Pogba that could make our team exceptionally better.

The big money signings have been our worst mistakes. That's why I'm glad we didnt get Sancho too.
Pogba has the talent to be WC. There's no way Maguire will be WC. He's too slow, his football intelligence is meah and his defensive skills are solid but not great. The earlier we acknowledge that Maguire is a solid but not WC CB the better. That means we can work around that and possibly not trust the guy who brought him here on a silly 80m fee with loads of cash to burn.

Zen86

Said it before, the ridiculous pressure, scrutiny and expectation of being a United player is what ultimately pulls these guys down. As soon as you sign up, you’re basically on the end of an ongoing torrent of abuse and criticism online and in the media. If it wasn’t Maguire we signed as our main defender, it would simply be someone else on the chopping block right now.

I’d like to say he’ll come out of this a better and stronger player, but we’ve not exactly got a very good record at this club for that.

devilish

Said it before, the ridiculous pressure, scrutiny and expectation of being a United player is what ultimately pulls these guys down. As soon as you sign up, you’re basically on the end of an ongoing torrent of abuse and criticism online and in the media. If it wasn’t Maguire we signed as our main defender, it would simply be someone else on the chopping block right now.

I’d like to say he’ll come out of this a better and stronger player, but we’ve not exactly got a very good record at this club for that.
This is the sort of defeatist attitude I hate. Its the same with Ole. News flash, people who are better in their job do tend to improve production. Will replacing 1-2 persons be enough? I doubt it. However you need to start from somewhere. Maguire is 27 and he gave us few months of decent football at best. At 27 he's not going to improve alot in terms of positioning and football intelligence. He'll certainly won't become faster either which is his biggest flaw. So its time we acknowledge that we ridiculously overspent on 2 defenders with clear weaknesses in their game. Its time we move on, learn from that mistakes (ex not trusting the guy who brought them here for silly money) and to try to work around that. Sir Alex built an EPL title winning side with Cleverley, Rafael, Valencia and Young in it. We can be successful despite having Maguire and AWB.

soapythecat

Our defence wasn’t great for most of last season as they had no protection from midfield. Our relatively good stats cover over how exposed our play left the defence. DDG made some shockers but he was also the busiest of the top 6 keepers (there is a stat out there).
Maguire was quite solid if you ask me. His mistakes were not that often but just highlighted due to whom me played for - every bad United performance brings this out.
Any manager/agent worth their salt would be telling HM to stay away from social media and leave it to his team. If he’s mentally weak then even more so. It won’t get better, even if he turns into Rio overnight.
Our defence will look 10x better when every team isn’t able to moonwalk through our midfield at will.

Johnson Yip

Yes and no. Ole should be the one to be held accountable - he should decide when to stick with the captain and when to give him a breather in light of the continual press attention.

bsCallout

Pogba has the talent to be WC. There's no way Maguire will be WC. He's too slow, his football intelligence is meah and his defensive skills are solid but not great. The earlier we acknowledge that Maguire is a solid but not WC CB the better. That means we can work around that and possibly not trust the guy who brought him here on a silly 80m fee with loads of cash to burn.
Who brought him in for 80m?

And Pogba isnt WC either. Application matters.

Gabagoo

We're not abusing Greenwood.

Let's be honest. The media are choosing to stick the boot into Maguire because he's fair game, a high profile English player going through a bad patch and plays for United - a perfect triple for the English media.

And a lot of United fans have always been supportive of him but in a slightly sceptical way, because they don't believe that he's worth close to his fee (which isn't his fault), he's slow and he's our captain.

If Ole has balls, he will take Maguire out of the squad until his court case, put the armband on someone else for a period of time and make a public statement that he's absolutely backing Maguire to come back stronger than ever and that Ole loves Maguire as a player.

U99ted

As soon as you sign up, you’re basically on the end of an ongoing torrent of abuse and criticism online and in the media.
No. The criticism comes when the player in question fails to perform to an adequate standard.

cyberman

No. The criticism comes when the player in question fails to perform to an adequate standard.
Thats balls. Rashford, for example, gets dogs abuse even when playing well with all the Rashford nonsense.

U99ted

Thats balls. Rashford, for example, gets dogs abuse even when playing well with all the Rashford nonsense.
I would think that a majority of fans would get behind a player when they are playing well. Such trolls as you describe don't represent the majority.

devilish

Who brought him in for 80m?

And Pogba isnt WC either. Application matters.
Considering that we've got no DOF then most football responsibilities fall on two people ie Judge and Ole. If you think that Ole wasn't aware of the transfer details and asked if he still want to proceed with the deal then think again.

Pogba has the talent to be WC. Maguire doesn't even have that.

cyberman

I would think that a majority of fans would get behind a player when they are playing well. Such trolls as you describe don't represent the majority.
It doesnt have to be the majority. We have a massive fanbase so only a fraction of it would be millions then add in the opposition fans who revel in abusing our players any chance they get.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I haven't seen him get too much stick tbh. Only about his actual performances which is fair enough. He's had his confidence destroyed by what happened in Greece and then his subsequent on field nightmares. He'll be fine. Take him out of the squad for a few weeks.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's an easy connection to be fair, but has Maguire actually been that affected by this, or is it more likely that this is just something the public have projected on to him as a way of making sense of his poor form?

Mihai

If his confidence is destroyed by social media, he can easily delete his profiles. That is what any normal person would do.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why is everybody talking about his mental health? What about Kepa’s mental health? Or Sterling’s? Or Lingard’s? Or Pogba’s? All of whom have had a far harder time by media despite none of them getting arrested. I’m sorry but I can’t help but feel there’s a bit of a double standard by the media when it comes to white British players & non-white or foreign players.

Mick1

People like to over read into situations too much.
We were ridiculed for his purchase by both fans and the media alike. " A slower smalling for 80 mil, you re having a laugh".
I see a Pogba-esque development of the narrative into he needs better players to make up for his deficiencies and he s not very motivated and and and...

We re not exactly splitting atoms here. He s big, slow and diabolical on the turn. Playing him in a high line is equivalent to sticking your hand in a wasp's nest and going: yeah well it cost 80mil.

He's also not very good, nor does he seem the brightest in any given room. Might be the head though

Zen86

We're not abusing Greenwood.

Let's be honest. The media are choosing to stick the boot into Maguire because he's fair game, a high profile English player going through a bad patch and plays for United - a perfect triple for the English media.

And a lot of United fans have always been supportive of him but in a slightly sceptical way, because they don't believe that he's worth close to his fee (which isn't his fault), he's slow and he's our captain.

If Ole has balls, he will take Maguire out of the squad until his court case, put the armband on someone else for a period of time and make a public statement that he's absolutely backing Maguire to come back stronger than ever and that Ole loves Maguire as a player.
Agreed.

And Greenwood's still classed as young and learnin', his time on the receiving end will certainly come, like it does for everyone else.

Zen86

This is the sort of defeatist attitude I hate. Its the same with Ole. News flash, people who are better in their job do tend to improve production. Will replacing 1-2 persons be enough? I doubt it. However you need to start from somewhere. Maguire is 27 and he gave us few months of decent football at best. At 27 he's not going to improve alot in terms of positioning and football intelligence. He'll certainly won't become faster either which is his biggest flaw. So its time we acknowledge that we ridiculously overspent on 2 defenders with clear weaknesses in their game. Its time we move on, learn from that mistakes (ex not trusting the guy who brought them here for silly money) and to try to work around that. Sir Alex built an EPL title winning side with Cleverley, Rafael, Valencia and Young in it. We can be successful despite having Maguire and AWB.
Oh look who popped up.

You were on Maguire's case from the minute he signed. "Too English" for you.

He was quite clearly never going to live up to his £80m price tag. Not that this is actually about Maguire for you anyway, just another stick to beat the manager with and whine about. You're pretty much the epitome of the toxic culture surrounding the club online. You'll complain about Maguire, you'll complain about Ole, you'll complain about whoever we ultimately replace them with as well and find some other targets to focus on in the meantime. Not that this is anything new, all you ever did during Fergie's reign was bitch and moan. Goodbye.

Oh look who popped up.

He was quite clearly never going to live up to his £80m price tag. Not that this is actually about Maguire for you anyway, just another stick to beat the manager with and whine about. You're pretty much the epitome of the toxic culture surrounding the club online. You'll complain about Maguire, you'll complain about Ole, you'll complain about whoever we ultimately replace them with as well and find some other targets to focus on in the meantime. Not that this is anything new, all you ever did during Fergie's reign was bitch and moan. Goodbye.
Well said.

jeepers

It’s not his fault we paid up so much for him. It’s his fault for buying into the hype - that he’s worth what we paid for him, and that he actually thinks he’s better than he truly is. Just look at his feckin smug goal celebration. As if he’s fecking Nesta. Go practice stoicism or whatever helps him to give less fecks.

He’s a grown man. I’m sure Ole and him have had words about the Greece incident, and if he feels that he is not able to deal with the situation, then man up and communicate it. We have sport psychologists. Even if we don’t, he’s making a feck ton playing crap and can easily engage the best in the biz to get into his head and get him out of this funk.

Same for Lingard’s supposed depression. Man the feck up. There is always someone in a poorer situation than you are.

devilish

Oh look who popped up.

I was against Maguire's signing because for a player of Maguire's talent it was too expensive. It was clear as day that a CB whose quite frankly nowhere near to WC and whose got zero pace would not be able to live anywhere near to the expectations set. I also wondered how on earth would he be able to cope with a high line. As said, he is too damn slow

I wasn't against us spending the dosh on Sancho though. Unlike Maguire whose the typical mid table CB, Jadon is an exceptional talent. He's young and he can play on both flanks. My only concern was that by buying Sancho we were going to bench Greenwood who is, by far, the best talent coming through since Paul Scholes. That would be stupid especially at a time when money should have been invested in that shit defence we,'ve got

I think that our decline started long before Sir Alex retired specifically around Ronaldo 's departure. I felt that we were keeping players past their expiry date, we were replacing top quality with the likes of Young and Valencia etc. It was only a matter of time before the whole castle came tumbling down

devilish

People like to over read into situations too much.
We were ridiculed for his purchase by both fans and the media alike. " A slower smalling for 80 mil, you re having a laugh".
I see a Pogba-esque development of the narrative into he needs better players to make up for his deficiencies and he s not very motivated and and and...

We re not exactly splitting atoms here. He s big, slow and diabolical on the turn. Playing him in a high line is equivalent to sticking your hand in a wasp's nest and going: yeah well it cost 80mil.

He's also not very good, nor does he seem the brightest in any given room. Might be the head though
Pogba has the talent but not the attitude. Maguire doesn't even have the talent

bsCallout

Considering that we've got no DOF then most football responsibilities fall on two people ie Judge and Ole. If you think that Ole wasn't aware of the transfer details and asked if he still want to proceed with the deal then think again.

Pogba has the talent to be WC. Maguire doesn't even have that.
You're guessing. In any case no manager would have turned down Maguire.

Yes, lots of kids have the talent, such as our own Ravel. Application matters.

The WC rating means nothing with regards to either player.

devilish

You're guessing. In any case no manager would have turned down Maguire.

Yes, lots of kids have the talent, such as our own Ravel. Application matters.

The WC rating means nothing with regards to either player.
Maguire was always going to be a ridiculously expensive and overrated CB. Which is one of the three main reasons why I didn't want Maguire with United. However, under Mourinho, it could have worked. Mou played with a deep defensive line. That means that Maguire's ussues regarding his lack of pace and his lack of football brain would be minimised. He also utilised Matic who was an anchor man + he had Smalling as well whose rapid.

Ole utilise a high defensive line. That makes it very difficult for a slow CB to do well with us. For the record I think Ole got the system right (but he relied on the wrong players). Most teams are happy with just 1 point with us so a deep defensive line won't cut it with United.

Regarding Pogba you can't compare a nutter whom back in his Lazio days would do an interview mostly speaking about us to a WC winner whose been Juventus best CM AND United's top assist man + goalscorer. Pogba is a top top talent. He's tall, he's fast, he's got great dribbling skills, he's physically strong and he can pass the ball the way a Scholes or a Veron could do. The trouble with him is his decision making. He'll dribble when he should pass the ball, he passes the ball when he should shoot the ball, he'll shoot the ball when he should pass it. I can't help thinking that if properly coached and set in a proper system then he could do extremely well for us. Unfortunately we don't have the means to do so. Therefore we're better off if he leaves.

Having said that, my point still stand. Pogba has the talent to be WC. Maguire doesn't

bsCallout

Maguire was always going to be a ridiculously expensive and overrated CB. Which is one of the three main reasons why I didn't want Maguire with United. However, under Mourinho, it could have worked. Mou played with a deep defensive line. That means that Maguire's ussues regarding his lack of pace and his lack of football brain would be minimised. He also utilised Matic who was an anchor man + he had Smalling as well whose rapid.

Ole utilise a high defensive line. That makes it very difficult for a slow CB to do well with us. For the record I think Ole got the system right (but he relied on the wrong players). Most teams are happy with just 1 point with us so a deep defensive line won't cut it with United.

Regarding Pogba you can't compare a nutter whom back in his Lazio days would do an interview mostly speaking about us to a WC winner whose been Juventus best CM AND United's top assist man + goalscorer. Pogba is a top top talent. He's tall, he's fast, he's got great dribbling skills, he's physically strong and he can pass the ball the way a Scholes or a Veron could do. The trouble with him is his decision making. He'll dribble when he should pass the ball, he passes the ball when he should shoot the ball, he'll shoot the ball when he should pass it. I can't help thinking that if properly coached and set in a proper system then he could do extremely well for us. Unfortunately we don't have the means to do so. Therefore we're better off if he leaves.

Having said that, my point still stand. Pogba has the talent to be WC. Maguire doesn't
And you cant compare Scholes passing ability and Pogbas.