Maguire : most minutes played in 2020 world wide

Mcking

I hope we rest Maguire against Everton. We'll need his rested for one of the most difficult strikers in the league to cope with when we travel to Leicester this weekend.
Pretty sure he is going to start. He has proven that he is able to play back-to-back.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I hope we rest Maguire against Everton. We'll need his rested for one of the most difficult strikers in the league to cope with when we travel to Leicester this weekend.
Very likely going to start since we are in quarter final. Probably rest against Watford in FA Cup.

He will start because it’s likely Lindelof will be rested. Quite frankly we don’t have one able deputy, let alone two.

Sylar

Lindelof has been struggling with a back injury for a year or so now, so it is worrying that he's up there. Wish we could give him a bit more of a break.
That's fair. Maybe in the cup lindelof will rest and Maguire starts, maybe with tuanzebe

In an ideal world a Rio/Vidic paring would have these two in the bench as squad players.
We have never ever in the almost 40 years I’ve supported this club had a centre back on the bench of Maguire’s quality, England’s starting CB. What the funk are you smoking?

Is there a club in the World that has a Maguire on the bench?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Manchester United is a publicly listed company. When you make an 80m investment - you get every penny out of it. A gun to Ole's head from the corporate side.

On the other hand - he's a rock and a figure of stability at the back. It's a major bonus that he's doing wonders for us tbh.

Classical Mechanic

How, and why is Messi still hanging around on these type of lists? Doesn't he sit out Argentina games now as well as the occasional Barca game? Still setting a standard in fitness though, Ronaldo's probably still up there too.
He runs less than any other player in his position in football.

lex talionis

Very likely going to start since we are in quarter final. Probably rest against Watford in FA Cup.
You're undoubtedly right, but I'm very worried about Vardy, a top striker who knows Maguire than any other opposing striker and who will relish the thought of taking on his former teammate who's just played two games in the previous six days.

Shark

@NotShark
We have never ever in the almost 40 years I’ve supported this club had a centre back on the bench of Maguire’s quality, England’s starting CB. What the funk are you smoking?

I'm saying that regardless of how high you rate Maguire, those two would relegate him to the bench every week. They were that good.

we have never had three CBs that are as good as those three at the same time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is the way I see it also. He's a 7-8/10 CB who is always fit. That's definitely value for money. However I'm not sure if we're winning anything significant with himself and Lindelof back there. In an ideal world a Rio/Vidic paring would have these two in the bench as squad players.
I'm not too sure either but then again what choice do we have because only VVD & Ramos are on Rio/Vidic level. In other word, this is the standard level of the current centre back and that means we will need to find a way to make it work.

meamth

I'm not too sure either but then again what choice do we have because only VVD & Ramos are on Rio/Vidic level. In other word, this is the standard level of the current centre back and that means we will need to find a way to make it work.
It's either that or the standard of attacking is that good. I think it's the latter.

Football is more about attacking now and I suggest that Rio and Vidic would struggle in this fast paced modern game. Physically, players are way way faster/fitter now..

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's either that or the standard of attacking is that good. I think it's the latter.

Football is more about attacking now and I suggest that Rio and Vidic would struggle in this fast paced modern game. Physically, players are way way faster/fitter now..
I disagree mate. Rio & Vidic are top notch when defending. Everytime you watched them, you just know they love defending and they have intelligent to defend. If anything modern centre back don't seem to love to defend anymore while the standard of attackers remain the same.

meamth

I disagree mate. Rio & Vidic are top notch when defending. Everytime you watched them, you just know they love defending and they have intelligent to defend. If anything modern centre back don't seem to love to defend anymore while the standard of attackers remain the same.
Yes they are prime defenders, that DNA seems to be a rarity these days.

I think now, with the fouls getting softer and VAR staying for a long time, defenders are footballers first rather than pure defenders. That's why defending has been not at the level it was.
But then again, if you put Maguire besides Vidic or Rio he won't be out of place.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes they are prime defenders, that DNA seems to be a rarity these days.

I think now, with the fouls getting softer and VAR staying for a long time, defenders are footballers first rather than pure defenders. That's why defending has been not at the level it was.
But then again, if you put Maguire besides Vidic or Rio he won't be out of place.
But Rio is also ball playing probably better than VVD in ball playing ability while Vidic on the ball is better than Smalling. Either way, both would still suit the modern football.

Classical Mechanic

Rio would have been fine but I think Vidic would struggle. His weaknesses were on the ball and with attackers running at him. It depends on the system though. Put Vida in Simeone‘s low block and he’d look imperious, put him in a high line and he’d be badly exposed.

JMack1234

Fantastic record.

Not getting injured is a very underrated trait in a player.

miked99

We're forced to play him and Lindelof so often because our backup options are so poor. Tuanzebe could go on to be great, he was fantastic against PSG but had a stinker against the Turkish team I've tried to banish from my memory. But Bailly is an absolute liability and I'd prefer to see Jones or Rojo in the starting line up

MrSingh2002

And after that period it was Bailly-Rojo and they also looked great. Those four months in 16/17 was amazing as all three of the glass cannons got a bit of a run together and it really did work. Of course it was Jones getting injured that gave Bailly a chance, and it was Rojo doing his cruciate that ultimately bought it to an end. Unfortunately Rojo never looked the same after that, which was a real shame as he was looking brilliant and most agreed he'd been our best defender that season.
Atleast someone can give Rojo some credit and has a decent memory. Maguire, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Bailly, Rojo and Fosu Mensah is not the worst crop we've had and Ole should probably give the odd start to Tuanzebe, Bailly and Rojo.

If only to give Maguire some rest in between games to enable him to be at his best. Tuanzebe will prove himself and take a starting position if he is fit for a long period.