Maguire needs to be replaced

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There's zero chance OGS strips him of the captaincy unless he has a long period out and whoever takes over the armand in his absence does really well.

Has anyone in recent times been stripped of the captaincy (but still played) due to performance?
Pogba under Mourinho, although he wasn't a full-time captain, of course. Xhaka at Arsenal?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, at a time like this what we really need to worry about is who does the coin toss, sorts out comps for the players and sets the club fines....

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maguire is a perfect example tbh.

He's been a good signing but the way people talk about him you'd think he was anything but, to put it mildly.
People were also calling him world-class last season. If you discount the reactionary fluctuation, one way or another, he is rated just as he should be — as a good but not exceptional defender with clear weaknesses that, when exposed, make him look like an amateur-level footballer (which he clearly isn't). His transfer has certainly improved us but not to the extent that you'd expect from a player of his valuation.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He only started training on grass on Friday ffs! He should not have even been in contention let alone starting yesterday! That is on the manager.

It says a lot that Ole would rather start a half fit Maguire over a fully fit Bailly.

Hammondo

He only started training on grass on Friday ffs! He should not have even been in contention let alone starting yesterday! That is on the manager.

It says a lot that Ole would rather start a half fit Maguire over a fully fit Bailly.
Hes been poor all season though.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Absolute knee jerk nonsense

Maguire was very good last season after a dodgy start (Greek tradegy etc) and grew massively into the captain role too

Was rock solid for England in the summer too

Should never have played yesterday but thats a different discussion

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is not an overreaction to him being at fault for a bunch of goals yesterday. United fans have always known Maguire has plenty of weaknesses in his game and he was arguably rushed backed from injury because of his desperate boss. This is a judgement on his performance as a captain.

When has he ever pushed us on? When has he lifted the team in a moment of difficulty? When has he settled us down when we are under the kosh? Being English and rarely injured is not enough for a United captain. Maguire is like Ole, just happy to be here and can't believe his luck. When he was first appointed a lot of people claimed he was the only option but surely not now . Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford and De Gea would all make better captains.
You don't need to wear the armband to be a captain

You're making it sound like Maguire wearing the armband is having a negative effect and putting it on someone else (De Gea lol) is going to elevate them and the team - it's nonsense and actually the complete opposite, if there were better captains in the side then they wouldn't need the armband they'd be leading by example

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah, at a time like this what we really need to worry about is who does the coin toss, sorts out comps for the players and sets the club fines....
Well our vice captain who people want to be made permanent captain failed even at that the one time it actually mattered.

van Nistelrooy

Maguire should have been stripped of the captaincy following the pack of lies he sold us all about Mykonos.

Bruno is the obvious choice to be our leader and has a far brighter future in the United team.

Wheato

Stop it.

Maguire was world class for England in the Euros. Playing at the highest level. He is exactly what we need in terms of leadership.

He has clearly been injured all season. I have no idea why he was dragged into action yesterday. Was 2 yards off the pace. Bailly played for Ivory Coast during the week, so was match fit. Ole bottled it again.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Embarrassing we made him the worlds most expensive defender.
He has improved carrying the ball out of defence, but as a defender he lacks a lot. Hopefully the Newcastle Sheikhs come to make a statement and sign him from us.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Nah, Maguire is a top player and consistent for the most part. We are so much better with him than without. Only other option for captaincy would be Bruno, but I prefer a CB/CM to have the armband.

Maguire was clearly not match fit/ready for yesterday, his mistakes should hang on Ole.

Stacks

I remember he tried to advise Rashford and tell him something on the pitch to which Rash called him a knobhead. They don't respect him. Why would they? He came from Leicester and has won nout nor does he have that "aura" Bruno has.

Offsideagain

Captains should lead by example, like Roy Keane, Robbo and Sir Bobby did. I can’t see anyone in this squad to do the job. If the Captaincy was removed from Maguire, that would hardly inspire him to dig in and improve. The Manager needs to grow a pair and drop some of this lot and play the kids. The PL has more or less gone, again, so get the players to wake up snd go for the CL and FA Cup. We will get our usual tough draw in the FA cup, all away whilst City get Huddersfield at home etc, but we need to win something. We are a bloody laughing stock.

padzilla

Hipster
The only player with the character is Ronaldo, Bruno spends too much time moaning and whingeing for the last number of months for some reason.
Maguire is not capable of running the defence, never mind captain the side.

padzilla

Hipster
Stop it.

Maguire was world class for England in the Euros. Playing at the highest level. He is exactly what we need in terms of leadership.

He has clearly been injured all season. I have no idea why he was dragged into action yesterday. Was 2 yards off the pace. Bailly played for Ivory Coast during the week, so was match fit. Ole bottled it again.
International football is not the highest level anymore though sadly, the Champions League is a much higher level.
Players often flatter to deceive in international football and can't cut it and get found out at the highest level of elite competitions for their clubs.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Embarrassing we made him the worlds most expensive defender.
He has improved carrying the ball out of defence, but as a defender he lacks a lot. Hopefully the Newcastle Sheikhs come to make a statement and sign him from us.
We can’t carry the ball out from defence though, especially when you have defenders taking about ten touches before deciding what they’re gonna do. They shit the bed when pressed too. Scratching my head every day at how we were conned like that. Leicester’s defence is probably around the same without him there, and I remember the season we signed him they coped quite well after that too. Might be more of a coaching thing, but a coach isn’t going to stop all those awful lapses of concentration.

Giggsy13

You'd have thought people would have learned after last season, but it looks like the Caf is back to slagging off Maguire? I can't keep up.
What was the lesson from last season? Being shit at set piece defending and conceding 44 goals in the league? Yes of course you’re right, how can we criticize Maguire!?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can almost understand Ole taking the risk with him, given how well Maguire has been playing for us since his last dodgy spell. That said, he was clearly struggling today, as he often does when partnered with Lindelhof, and yet he was left struggle on the pitch for the full 90 minutes. I think that's far more damning than taking the risk starting him.
And most of this season

JB7

Ridiculous thread. Maguire talks more than anyone on the pitch, anyone who's ever seen them play should easily be able to tell that. He shouldn't have played yesterday as he was nowhere near fit but that isn't his fault and frankly blaming him for the goals is completely missing the real problem our defence faces but I can't hold that against people because it doesn't appear that Ole can see it either.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
At least the last couple of years he had the odd mistake but this year he gives the ball away so much and he has made so many mistakes. Maybe he still hasn’t recovered from losing two finals this summer albeit he only played in one.

hobbers

Maguire being a poor captain is the absolute least of our worries.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
We can’t carry the ball out from defence though, especially when you have defenders taking about ten touches before deciding what they’re gonna do. They shit the bed when pressed too. Scratching my head every day at how we were conned like that. Leicester’s defence is probably around the same without him there, and I remember the season we signed him they coped quite well after that too. Might be more of a coaching thing, but a coach isn’t going to stop all those awful lapses of concentration.
If he wasn't English would we have paid £80m? Fair play to him, I never rated him at all and wasn’t happy we signed him, but he has Improved in terms of taking the ball out of defence, its just a shame when players with skill and pace run at him his arse drops out of his shorts.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De Gea should have been a captain at first place. It was big injustice to him. But now, what is done is done. Harry is not bad captain. But he is not something special too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
De Gea should have been a captain at first place. It was big injustice to him. But now, what is done is done. Harry is not bad captain. But he is not something special too.
The man who was stinking the place out with poor performances? It shouldn't have been Maguire, but it certainly should not have been De Gea

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What was the lesson from last season? Being shit at set piece defending and conceding 44 goals in the league? Yes of course you’re right, how can we criticize Maguire!?
Please tell us what mistakes Maguire made last season in our last 4 league games when we conceded 8 of the 44 goals?
In the previous games before those last 4 games it took us 12 games to concede the same amount of goals and that was when we were actually playing agains better teams.
Last season the defence mostly did well apart from the first 3 league games when the whole team was unfit. It is the midfield which gets beaten too easily.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The man who was stinking the place out with poor performances? It shouldn't have been Maguire, but it certainly should not have been De Gea
He is in this club 10 years. In those 10 years overall he was our best player. And then our coqch gives armband to two guys who literally just signed for club. I call that as injustice

AFC NimbleThumb

44 goals which bar the season Jose was actively trying to get fired was the worst showing for 2 decades.

The blinkers truly are on with some when it comes to this guy. It’s always something, ‘his arrest’, ‘it’s lindelof’, ‘he needs a new partner’, ‘he needs to play himself into form’. The guy has had some of the most shambolic displays you’ll get from a CB.

JB7

Please tell us what mistakes Maguire made last season in our last 4 league games when we conceded 8 of the 44 goals?
In the previous games before those last 4 games it took us 12 games to concede the same amount of goals and that was when we were actually playing agains better teams.
Last season the defence mostly did well apart from the first 3 league games when the whole team was unfit. It is the midfield which gets beaten too easily.
Worth taking a look at the goalkeeper for that middle run you mention too.

tenpoless

Honestly I'd make Ronaldo and Cavani captain whenever they play. You just know when they talk the players listen, well... most of them. The most respected players in the squad, it makes sense. After that we can give it to either Bruno.